HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin named new General Manager V2.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
  #51
tobo
Registered User
 
tobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't think Tennant is Dr Who anymore.
Correct. Matt Smith is the latest reincarnation of the Doctor.


tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
  #52
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
after watching the interviews, i can confidently predict that Roy will not be chosen as a coach.

MB's modesty and Roy's ego ... no go.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
  #53
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I really think that was it for him in regards to trying to be a GM. I think the only job he would leave that big NBC contract for somewhere like the Rangers, Leafs, Canadiens, and I think all those teams won't hire McGuire because of the lack of experience, and while he did interview for the Wild and Lighting jobs, that was before his NBC contract, so no way he going to teams like that to be GM IMO.
We have no idea about that, I don't know how he worked it out with NBC regarding that, but if he wants to be a GM and that's his dream then I would have to think that he made that clear to CBC when signing that deal if a job ever came along he was gone

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
  #54
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
He needs to take out Gomez and Kaberle.

Then he needs to build the defense, build the Plekanec line and give and identity to our bottom 6.
I don't see a lot of work needed on the bottom 6, maybe adding a Pahlsson and re-signing Darche Moen and Staubitz. I think Bourque-Eller-Moen White-Pahlsson(or similar player)-Staubitz/Darche would be a very solid bottom 6. Plus LeBlanc Schultz Conboy Engqvist Gallagher Bournival in the AHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
  #55
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see a lot of work needed on the bottom 6, maybe adding a Pahlsson and re-signing Darche Moen and Staubitz. I think Bourque-Eller-Moen White-Pahlsson(or similar player)-Staubitz/Darche would be a very solid bottom 6. Plus LeBlanc Schultz Conboy Engqvist Gallagher Bournival in the AHL.
Isn't Konopka a UFA as well? Great face off player and can spark things up or spend a bit more cash and take the best available out there in Gaustad

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
  #56
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
after watching the interviews, i can confidently predict that Roy will not be chose as a coach.

MB's modesty and Roy's ego ... no go.
Bergevin wants team players in his group and Roy strikes me as a guy who needs a lot of control/power.

By saying the guy has to be francophone though I think it will be tough unless they are willing to look at a junior coach like Groulx or Vigneault becomes available.

Crawford is the only "recycled" coach I don't mind. No Hartley, no Therrien.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
  #57
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We have no idea about that, I don't know how he worked it out with NBC regarding that, but if he wants to be a GM and that's his dream then I would have to think that he made that clear to CBC when signing that deal if a job ever came along he was gone
True, but that was just a feeling I got from listening to his interview, it seemed like he the only reason he went after the GM job this time was because it was the Canadiens. He talked about how he was telling his boss, that the only reason he is interviewing for the job was because it was the Habs.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
  #58
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Isn't Konopka a UFA as well? Great face off player and can spark things up or spend a bit more cash and take the best available out there in Gaustad
I have no problem with Konopka as #4 center. Wouldn't mind Gaustad but he will cost...if they buy out Gomez then no chance of having cash left for Gaustad.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:25 AM
  #59
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I have no problem with Konopka as #4 center. Wouldn't mind Gaustad but he will cost...if they buy out Gomez then no chance of having cash left for Gaustad.
He will cost but his the best at what he does that will be available on July 1st. You can't be afraid of making these types of moves, look at the Preds who traded their 1st for a couple of weeks of Gaustad.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
  #60
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bergevin wants team players in his group and Roy strikes me as a guy who needs a lot of control/power.

By saying the guy has to be francophone though I think it will be tough unless they are willing to look at a junior coach like Groulx or Vigneault becomes available.

Crawford is the only "recycled" coach I don't mind. No Hartley, no Therrien.
Crawford is an absolute moron. He is so blatantly wrong on a consistent basis that it is truly embarrassing. He doesn't understand the x's and o's of the game as he is very old school.

I would much rather have Vigneault because he has some credibility and a ton of class. Players like playing for him and if he is given the right tools I think he could lead this team to a brighter future.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
  #61
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not sure how you figure that they "haven't been good" the numbers tell otherwise. Obviously the goal is to be "great" and win a cup, but before that's possible we have to return to being "good" THEN take the next step from there instead of a big step back like this year.

PP PK and goaltending are part of a winning team, have you watched these playoffs? Most of the teams there are there at least in part because of ST and most have had great goaltending(Rinne Smith Holtby Brodeur Lundquist Quick).

numbers lie sometimes.

2 years ago they went to conf finals because they were really good on special teams and had a goalie who was playing out of his mind. Do you really think that means they are a great team? it doesnt, they used the special teams and rode Halak and made a run, which is great but it was a fluke year.

My point is there are teams left who can overcome a poor PP or average goaltending (flyers) and still win in the playoffs. THAT is the mark of a good/great team.

This year the PP went into the toilet and they finished 15th. The team was not good enough to overcome a poor PP.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:36 AM
  #62
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Glad you're starting to realize that. I know it's best for him if he ever wants to become a GM that he would need to do the assistant and scouting in order to eventually get to the GM but he simply doesn't need to because of his job right now

What is it now 5 jobs he came in the runner up? I wonder if these management teams bring him in and interview him asking him what he would do and what he think sis wrong with their team. They get an idea from him since he is one of the only guys around the NHL that knows the good and bad about teams/players
wow lol come on man...You guys really think McGuire is the one of the only guys around the NHL that knows the 'good and bad' about teams/players?

Jeez...I know media influences the masses, but it shouldn't prevent critical thinking.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
  #63
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Expect to see Trevor Timmons lose some of his duties. Bergevin is right, he is doing too much. Look at how the Blackhawks are set up.

NORM MACIVER, DIRECTOR, PLAYER PERSONNEL
BARRY SMITH, DIRECTOR, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
RON ANDERSON, DIRECTOR, PLAYER RECRUITMENT
MARK KELLEY, DIRECTOR, AMATEUR SCOUTING

Trevor Timmons basically does all four of those jobs currently.

I'm glad that Bergevin will be bringing in more people to help with this area. Development of our prospects has been one of our biggest problems. Timmons is great at Amateur Scouting but could use some support in player development.
Interesting.

After reading your post (basically, 4 men in Chicago are doing what Timmins does for us) and because I consider Timmins as one of the most precious Canadiens' asset, my first move as the GM would be to give him a raise, extend his contract and reduce his responsibilities!

Who would be a good candidate for "DIRECTOR, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT"? Clément Jodoin... with Cunneyworth back in Hamilton?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
  #64
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He will cost but his the best at what he does that will be available on July 1st. You can't be afraid of making these types of moves, look at the Preds who traded their 1st for a couple of weeks of Gaustad.
The problem is, if you have to buy out Gomez and have to add a top 6 forward there will probably be nothing left for a Gaustad. With Plekanec and Eller here it would be more a luxury than a need.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
  #65
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
numbers lie sometimes.

2 years ago they went to conf finals because they were really good on special teams and had a goalie who was playing out of his mind. Do you really think that means they are a great team? it doesnt, they used the special teams and rode Halak and made a run, which is great but it was a fluke year.

My point is there are teams left who can overcome a poor PP or average goaltending (flyers) and still win in the playoffs. THAT is the mark of a good/great team.

This year the PP went into the toilet and they finished 15th. The team was not good enough to overcome a poor PP.
Going far in the playoffs due to goaltending is not a "fluke" it's been a huge factor in the NHL for about 25-30 years. We won cups with Roy. New Jersey won with Brodeur, Boston with Thomas.

Obviously you need more than just goaltending, but there are solid pieces in place elswhere(Markov Subban Gorges Emelin Cole Pacioretty DD Plekanec Eller) and a few more need to be added.

Phillie has never been able to overcome poor goaltending, that's why their last cup win was almost 40 years ago.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
  #66
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The problem is, if you have to buy out Gomez and have to add a top 6 forward there will probably be nothing left for a Gaustad. With Plekanec and Eller here it would be more a luxury than a need.
Gaustad shouldn't command a very high salary. Part of the reason that he was in demand at the deadline was due to his low salary. Teams just can't afford to pay 3rd/4th liners with no offensive upside substantial salaries.

He would be a nice pickup but it is so hard to even speculate with the uncertainty of a new CBA.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
  #67
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Going far in the playoffs due to goaltending is not a "fluke" it's been a huge factor in the NHL for about 25-30 years. We won cups with Roy. New Jersey won with Brodeur, Boston with Thomas.

Obviously you need more than just goaltending, but there are solid pieces in place elswhere(Markov Subban Gorges Emelin Cole Pacioretty DD Plekanec Eller) and a few more need to be added.

Phillie has never been able to overcome poor goaltending, that's why their last cup win was almost 40 years ago.
Im sorry but I think you are blinded by the positives. And thats ok, they are some positives to be proud of. They have many solid young pieces to go forward with.

All I meant is that there are alot of other places they will need help with.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
  #68
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Going far in the playoffs due to goaltending is not a "fluke" it's been a huge factor in the NHL for about 25-30 years. We won cups with Roy. New Jersey won with Brodeur, Boston with Thomas.

Obviously you need more than just goaltending, but there are solid pieces in place elswhere(Markov Subban Gorges Emelin Cole Pacioretty DD Plekanec Eller) and a few more need to be added.

Phillie has never been able to overcome poor goaltending, that's why their last cup win was almost 40 years ago.
Well said!

It drives me nuts when people dismiss successful components of sports teams. People need to realize that we have a much better core than Nashville and it is their template that I suspect Bergevin is following. The difference is that we can afford to pay and keep top offensive players as we are not a budget team.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
  #69
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Well said!

It drives me nuts when people dismiss successful components of sports teams. People need to realize that we have a much better core than Nashville and it is their template that I suspect Bergevin is following. The difference is that we can afford to pay and keep top offensive players as we are not a budget team.
I've been having a feeling that Bergevin is gonna go after Shea Weber.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
  #70
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,997
vCash: 500
"Skill without character you will not go far. You need a mix of everything to be successful..."

Nice.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
  #71
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Well said!

It drives me nuts when people dismiss successful components of sports teams. People need to realize that we have a much better core than Nashville

Dont see many norris, vezina nominess on the habs

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:08 AM
  #72
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Honestly at this point I don't even care about Kaberle, he is more useful than Gomez. Another reason I would keep him is because of Markov, we just don't know what's going to happen with a full schedule and we can't take any chances. Play Kaberle mostly on the pp and keep him around at 13-15 minutes a night

And yes build an identity, absolutely agreed on that
Keberle needs to lose some weight this offseason

If he does, he can help the team next season

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
  #73
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I've been having a feeling that Bergevin is gonna go after Shea Weber.
Sure why not

what are you willing to trade for 1 year of weber?



8.0 M for weber
5.7 for markov
4.2 for Kaberle
3.7 for Subban

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
  #74
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
"Skill without character you will not go far. You need a mix of everything to be successful..."

Nice.
I think the fact that Bergevin is a recent retired player gives him a vantage point that few of his peers have (whether that translates into wins/Cups, is another story).

The comment you quoted really hit me yesterday, because that's the type of comment that can only be made when you've been 'in the trenches'.

Character isn't measurable with stats, it's something that's noticed at ice level, or in the room, etc. For example, Andrei Kostitsyn, perfect example of a guy with tremendous skill, but who's lacking in characther.

It's one of the reasons why Bergevin was my choice even before Gauthier got fired, at the time I thought there was no chance they would even consider hiring him, but I always loved the fact he's been involved in the NHL on so many different levels...coaching, scouting, managing, etc....those are key assets

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM
  #75
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Dont see many norris, vezina nominess on the habs
Price is every bit as good as Rinne and he will prove it with a team that actually can defend in front of him.

Weber and Suter may both be gone by next year and Pacioretty is head and shoulders better than any of their young forwards. I'll take Subban over any of their young d-men.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.