HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Don't forget Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell, damn you. They were important!
heh, I loved the line at the end of that blog post:

"Did you hear that noise just now? I think that was the sound of several thousand Leafs fans smashing their face into their keyboards."

I wish there was a gif for that.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
heh, I loved the line at the end of that blog post:

"Did you hear that noise just now? I think that was the sound of several thousand Leafs fans smashing their face into their keyboards."

I wish there was a gif for that.
This is why we get crappy proposals from Leafs fans day in and day out. They feel we owe them one for that.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
So, it cost the Sharks their 25th pick in 07, an 07 second & an 08 third rounder to move up 16 spots to grab Couture at 9. That doesn't sound too bad if we want to move up from the possible 16th spot this year for somebody in the top 10. Thoughts?
It's a great trade when you get a player that works out...not so good when you draft a flop. (I know, stunning insight there )

Old
05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Sharksrule04

I think you guys are starting to think too much like DW and his scouts. The Sharks prospect system is dry but that doesn't mean we need to load up on lower picks and "hope" we find a diamond in the rough. The Sharks need to find the next first round player who will turn into a star.

We have an aging team and are in desperate need of future star players to build around. Despite what people say we have 2 maybe 3 young players to build around, Vlasic, Burns and Couture. That is it.

I know people love Pavelski but quite honestly I have lost a lot of faith in him developing any further in the future. He may have passion but I seem him better suited as a career 2nd liner and still an inconsistent one.

This is why I suggested trading into the top 5. We need a player that can take the reigns in 3-4 years from Thornton. What is our top 6 going to look like in 4 years?

Nieto, Couture, Pavelski? Personally I think that sucks. We need a star pick not a "safe" pick or 3 2nd round picks.

I say we trade Clowe, Demers and more to get into the top 5 or 6 and draft one of the star forwards that is available in this draft.

I'd be willing to trade Pavelski even to get into the top 5 or 6.

Personally I'd love to do separate deals with Clowe, Pavelski, Demers and say Niemi to get maybe 2 picks in the top 10. Choose two forwards and a d-man and start preparing for the future. Use that money during the off-season to sign some top 6 forwards.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Never mind...decided it wasn't worth it.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
So, it cost the Sharks their 25th pick in 07, an 07 second & an 08 third rounder to move up 16 spots to grab Couture at 9. That doesn't sound too bad if we want to move up from the possible 16th spot this year for somebody in the top 10. Thoughts?
They moved up to draft Nieto (from 59 to 47) and Seto (from 12 to 8) as well - I'm too lazy to look through 10 years of Sharks drafts to find more but if the Org wants a specific player they'll move up to get them.

Last edited by stalockrox: 05-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
They moved down to draft Nieto (from 59 to 47) and Seto (from 12 to 8) as well - I'm too lazy to look through 10 years of Sharks drafts to find more but if the Org wants a specific player they'll move down to get them.
I think the it's less confusing for most people if you say they moved up to get them, as in moving up in the draft order.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
I think the it's less confusing for most people if you say they moved up to get them, as in moving up in the draft order.
Confusing people...I'll change it.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
It's a great trade when you get a player that works out...not so good when you draft a flop. (I know, stunning insight there )
They moved up for Bernier, Wishart and Kaspar.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
I think you guys are starting to think too much like DW and his scouts. The Sharks prospect system is dry but that doesn't mean we need to load up on lower picks and "hope" we find a diamond in the rough. The Sharks need to find the next first round player who will turn into a star.

We have an aging team and are in desperate need of future star players to build around. Despite what people say we have 2 maybe 3 young players to build around, Vlasic, Burns and Couture. That is it.

I know people love Pavelski but quite honestly I have lost a lot of faith in him developing any further in the future. He may have passion but I seem him better suited as a career 2nd liner and still an inconsistent one.

This is why I suggested trading into the top 5. We need a player that can take the reigns in 3-4 years from Thornton. What is our top 6 going to look like in 4 years?

Nieto, Couture, Pavelski? Personally I think that sucks. We need a star pick not a "safe" pick or 3 2nd round picks.

I say we trade Clowe, Demers and more to get into the top 5 or 6 and draft one of the star forwards that is available in this draft.

Personally I'd love to do separate deals with Clowe, Pavelski, Demers and say Niemi to get maybe 2 picks in the top 10. Choose two forwards and a d-man and start preparing for the future. Use that money during the off-season to sign some top 6 forwards.
Vlasic and Couture are not at that elite level. Burns doubtful but could be. The teams that have won build with the complementary players first before landing that "star". The Sharks are that stage where they need the complementary or they will botch the process for the next cycle. Chicago was landing guys like Bolland, Buffy and Keith before they landed Toews and Kane. Pitt was nailing it with guys like Armstrong, Orpik, Whitney and Malone before they grabbed Crosby and Malkin.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Yes.

Trade down.

05-03-2012, 12:29 AM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

Maybe we should just fail for nathan mackinnon next year

Old
05-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Yes.

Trade down.
Man, just looking at the 2007 draft. I didn't pay attention to drafts back then. Can't believe the Habs used our pick to draft Pacioretty. What on earth did we get for that pick?

Old
05-03-2012, 12:57 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Man, just looking at the 2007 draft. I didn't pay attention to drafts back then. Can't believe the Habs used our pick to draft Pacioretty. What on earth did we get for that pick?
Craig Rivet.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:00 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Craig Rivet.
And we gave up Josh Gorges.

I don't get upset over trading away the picks that became Perron or Ennis because you know that DW would never draft them, but Pacioretty is exactly the type of player that we would have drafted. Ugh.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
And we gave up Josh Gorges.

I don't get upset over trading away the picks that became Perron or Ennis because you know that DW would never draft them, but Pacioretty is exactly the type of player that we would have drafted. Ugh.
Its funny who else was available after the Petrecki pick. PK Subban...Wayne Simmonds....Galiardi....Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

I say wait until next year to find that centerman we need. i have no interest at all in gally or grigorenko. DW shouldnt either.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:02 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
Maybe we should just fail for nathan mackinnon next year
Or Seth Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
I say wait until next year to find that centerman we need. i have no interest at all in gally or grigorenko. DW shouldnt either.
You're not interested in 2 NHL-ready forwards?

Old
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post

You're not interested in 2 NHL-ready forwards?
No im not. If this year was a deeper year, i think theyd both 8-12 slot picks. I strongly consider this draft in terms of forwards to be like the 2007 draft. One top end talent (Kane and Yakupov) and a bunch of other forwards. Does gally not remind you of Sam Gagner?

And i know we got Couture in this draft, but my point still stays the same, i dont think we're gonna get a 1st line potential centerman in this draft and probably not a 2nd liner either.

Old
05-03-2012, 05:47 PM
dmband

[QUOTE=Sharksrule04;49150673]IThis is why I suggested trading into the top 5. We need a player that can take the reigns in 3-4 years from Thornton. What is our top 6 going to look like in 4 years?

Good luck with that one. Post lockout there has only been one trade out of the Top 5 in a draft I believe. A bit on memory, but Toronto to 5 to pick and Schenn and Nashville gave up the 7th+. What you are suggesting doesnt get a whiff of top 5 and unfortunatley alot of the SJ team is at their lowest trade level for cap or performance reasons.

Old
05-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Pitt was nailing it with guys like Armstrong, Orpik, Whitney and Malone before they grabbed Crosby and Malkin.
It's not like they were specifically picking those guys to be complimentary pieces going "oh we'll wait till some stars are around then we'll draft them". Plus it's not like guys like Malone and Armstrong helped with the cup runs. Didn't Malone get traded for a 4th?

Old
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
It's not like they were specifically picking those guys to be complimentary pieces going "oh we'll wait till some stars are around then we'll draft them". Plus it's not like guys like Malone and Armstrong helped with the cup runs. Didn't Malone get traded for a 4th?
Armstrong was part of the Hossa deal, before they went to the finals, but wasnt with them when they won. Malone was with Pitt when they lost in the cup finals to Detroit and left for Tampa in FA (tampa traded for his rights), I think. Whitney was also traded the year the Pens went to the cup finals in '09, Pitt got Kunitz for him.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:47 PM
TNT8592

what do you guys think about trading up for radek faksa?

Old
05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Doesn't matter whether they were traded, they were pieces with good value. Not busted picks (eg Wishart, Petrecki, Kaspar). The point still stands that it isn't the top guys alone who make the team. Otherwise, teams like Edmonton would be powerhouses right now. Despite the excuses, the top guys for Edmonton have had enough time to make their first playoff appearance. They aren't close.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Doesn't matter whether they were traded, they were pieces with good value. Not busted picks (eg Wishart, Petrecki, Kaspar). The point still stands that it isn't the top guys alone who make the team. Otherwise, teams like Edmonton would be powerhouses right now. Despite the excuses, the top guys for Edmonton have had enough time to make their first playoff appearance. They aren't close.
I know it sounds stupid, but the year after next season for the Oilers is the time that the Hawks one the Cup with Toews, Kane, and Hjalmarsson on ELCs, Sharp on a cheap contract because no one expected him to break out like that, Hossa was on his cap-circuventing retirement contract, and Keith and Seabrook on cheap RFA contracts.

Like you say, the Hawks had their Keith, Seabrook, and Sharp, and their depth players all ready, and then Kane and Toews were drafted and they were ready to compete immediately. With the Oilers, by the time they get the depth players and defensemen and goaltender, Hall, Eberle, RNH, and maybe even Yakupov's ELCs will be up and it will be difficult to sign tons of depth players like that insane CHicago third line and defense. It doesn't help that no UFA wants to sign in Edmonton.

Closed Thread