HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to go to International size rinks

Old
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Reijo R

vCash: 500
Time to go to International size rinks

Maybe not the best time to bring this up, after a classic win like that, but I've gotten very frustrated watching these playoffs. There is no room for skilled players to do their thing, and the games are often won by lucky bounces of the puck. The players have gotten too big and too fast for the current game, and guys like Gaborik, Ovechkin, Semin, Seguin, (etc.) have little room to operate. These are grudge matches, and it's not pretty to watch. The skilled players really need the extra 10 feet in length and 13 feet in width.

Do you guys ever foresee the NHL increasing the ice size? If not, why do you feel they wouldn't? I know a lot of people feel that owners will never do it because they'd lose 1-2 rows or premium-priced seating, but they could make some of that up by slightly raising ticket prices for the remaining seats. Plus, I think there would be more interest in hockey if we saw special players doing special things, as opposed to the hockey we're seeing now.

Thoughts?

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
broadwayblue

Will never happen for the reason you mentioned...$$$$

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Won't happen. Will lead to a crappier, slower, less physical and more boring game. It would cost too much money for every owner. Every arena in the league would have to be redone. Seating capacity would be decreased.

Any others that I missed?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Personally one of the things I love most is that the NHL is not a beauty contest. That can be left to the NBA and KHL as far as I'm concerned.

05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Jersey Girl

This won't happen, and neither would moving from 5 on 5 to 4 on 4 full time, which would also open up the ice. NHLPA would never agree to it.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
decreasing roster size is the way to go. but the nhlpa would never let that happen, considering it would mean losing jobs and salary.

RangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Larger rinks are the #1 thing I want in the NHL.

05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Larger rinks are the #1 thing I want in the NHL.
This would be an interesting debate 364 days out of the year.

After watching last nights game though, today is not the day to suggest anything needs to be changed. I can't imagine a better game than the one I saw last night.

The skilled players still made skilled plays, but they had to work their ass off to get to those areas. That is the way it should be IMO.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Xtranova

I live in Europe and one of the things I want here is actually NHL sized rinks. Might remove some beauty, but not as much as you'd think. Game is more intence on smaller surface and the really skilled players will find their moves no matter what. This is what actually makes them as skilled as they are. That players become bigger and faster is nothing to complain about... Just a natural development I suppose

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
patnyrnyg

you have a better chance seeing Jesus Christ bouncing down Broadway on a pogo stick being chased by Santa Claus than you do of this ever happening. MAYBE you see it in some pre-season games if they travel to an arena with an international size rink, or if they ever bring back neutral site games (doubt that too). Speaking of which, are there any international size rinks in north america? Rinks that are in an arena for NHL capacity that is.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
you have a better chance seeing Jesus Christ bouncing down Broadway on a pogo stick being chased by Santa Claus than you do of this ever happening. MAYBE you see it in some pre-season games if they travel to an arena with an international size rink, or if they ever bring back neutral site games (doubt that too). Speaking of which, are there any international size rinks in north america? Rinks that are in an arena for NHL capacity that is.
I don't think it would be that big of a deal to remove a row or two of seats around the rink.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
satrabyk

God no, guys dont like it, fans wont like it, and talk about skilled players benefiting, wont happen. D would adjust so would the trap. One thing that game last night showed, is that if your gonna be succesfull you cant hide from the dirty areas even on Gabby goal right in the perfect area only after 6 periods. Plus you need to be able to handle contact and protects pucks. Sure bigger ice surface allows more passing plays and open ice but i dont think esp in the playoffs we would like the outcome.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
It's fine the way it is.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
I live in Europe and one of the things I want here is actually NHL sized rinks. Might remove some beauty, but not as much as you'd think. Game is more intence on smaller surface and the really skilled players will find their moves no matter what. This is what actually makes them as skilled as they are. That players become bigger and faster is nothing to complain about... Just a natural development I suppose
Well said, the intensity is higher, that is everything.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
you have a better chance seeing Jesus Christ bouncing down Broadway on a pogo stick being chased by Santa Claus than you do of this ever happening.
LOL you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning...WHILE you're being eaten by a shark! than this ever happening...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
nyrmetros

I love the IIHF ice, and it has its place. But the NHL sized rink is what defines our league.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
If the game has to change, widening the rink is the way to go. All other ideas are retarded and change the game too much. International size is too big though, then again with the three fastest skaters in the league.... Never mind. International would be perfect.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I created a poll for this a year and a half ago. There were 3 options: NHL size, international size or a middle point between them.

A large percentage voted for the middle point.

Adding 2 feet on each of the 4 sides would create just enough space for players to continue to be creative without taking away the physicality. It would also require the removal of just one row of seats.

Making the game more interesting and appealing beyond the hardcore fans make up for it many times over.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
I don't think it would be that big of a deal to remove a row or two of seats around the rink.
Tell that to the owners. How much money would they lose by doing that?

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

they wont rock the money train... losing prime seating will never happen

05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Everything in the game has evolved, the rinks have not. Theres a problem there that won't be fixed anytime soon, definitely not by taking away precious seats.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
pld459666

Nope.

Prefer the speed of the game dictated by the smaller rinks.

We lose sight of what we would get to see on a daily basis when we see the best of the best playing on an International sized rink.

The fact is not every NHL team is stacked with all stars and the game would slow down a great deal because not everyone can skate as well as the best of the best.

Keep it the way it is.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I wouldn't be completely against widening the diameters to the ice surface a tad. But going to international length is way too much room.

The game would lose too much physicality and every team would run a puck possession game. Great if you want to see endless angled passing plays, bad if you want to see physical battles between two clubs.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
NYROrtsFan

Actually agree....

Things are just cut down so much that skill players in the playoffs are useless. They are as just as valuable as guys like Chris Neil and Prust at this point.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:56 PM
mug25

Doubt it will ever happen.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote