HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin named new General Manager V2.0

Old
05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Well said!

It drives me nuts when people dismiss successful components of sports teams. People need to realize that we have a much better core than Nashville and it is their template that I suspect Bergevin is following. The difference is that we can afford to pay and keep top offensive players as we are not a budget team.
wow.

I am excited about the future of Subban, Price and Patches, and a few other young players but dont get carried away

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Keberle needs to lose some weight this offseason

If he does, he can help the team next season

Kaberle had a really long year winning the Cup with Boston last year and played until June, I'll give him that but he is on a short leash

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Price is every bit as good as Rinne and he will prove it with a team that actually can defend in front of him.

Weber and Suter may both be gone by next year and Pacioretty is head and shoulders better than any of their young forwards. I'll take Subban over any of their young d-men.

Radulov is 25

I find him lazy and I would prefer Patches but skill vs skill. Radulov is miles ahead of Patches.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Radulov is 25

I find him lazy and I would prefer Patches but skill vs skill. Radulov is miles ahead of Patches.
I bet you that if you tell Nashville today of a Patches for Radulov trade, they would take it hands down.

30 goal scoring power forwards who are only 23 and have a great attitude towards the game day in and day out don't grow on trees.

Find me 3 power forwards under 25 in the entire NHL who scored 30 goals last year. I dare you.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Pedro McGuire*

Quote:
Radulov is 25

I would put money on him going back to Europe next year. I can only imagine the trash talking he and AK were doing in private after they learned of their suspension a few days ago. Guaranteed he gets the hell out of there as soon as he can.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I bet you that if you tell Nashville today of a Patches for Radulov trade, they would take it hands down.

30 goal scoring power forwards who are only 23 and have a great attitude towards the game day in and day out don't grow on trees.

Find me 3 power forwards under 25 in the entire NHL who scored 30 goals last year. I dare you.
DUH, of course they would. He has an attitude problem and could bolt to the KHL at any minute.

Reread my post. I said I would prefer to keep Patches but SKILL vs SKILL Radulov is better.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro McGuire View Post
I would put money on him going back to Europe next year. I can only imagine the trash talking he and AK were doing in private after they learned of their suspension a few days ago. Guaranteed he gets the hell out of there as soon as he can.
He came back to get that 3rd year of ELC out of the way so he could sign a bigger deal in the near future. The guy is an awesome player but all about the benjamins

Old
05-03-2012, 10:35 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro McGuire View Post
both will be in the KHL next season.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
goldglove

Am I the only one who think he look a lot like Mac Templeton ?

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think the fact that Bergevin is a recent retired player gives him a vantage point that few of his peers have (whether that translates into wins/Cups, is another story).

The comment you quoted really hit me yesterday, because that's the type of comment that can only be made when you've been 'in the trenches'.

Character isn't measurable with stats, it's something that's noticed at ice level, or in the room, etc. For example, Andrei Kostitsyn, perfect example of a guy with tremendous skill, but who's lacking in characther.

It's one of the reasons why Bergevin was my choice even before Gauthier got fired, at the time I thought there was no chance they would even consider hiring him, but I always loved the fact he's been involved in the NHL on so many different levels...coaching, scouting, managing, etc....those are key assets
It certainly is. The way this was passed up so easily by some people here (or in the media) was really surprising to me. The experience this man has gathered over his entire career (both as player and front office) is simply huge.
It was even more surprising how people insisted on him lacking experience because he only has one year as AGM. You can't have it all. I think most agree Nill was their first choice, but otherwise Bergevin was a clear favorite in my eyes (and yours I remember ).
I also think the fact he's been part of original 6 teams, both as a player and front office, was an added bonus. Knowing that those organization are mean more than your average one.

The only things that really are question marks are the negotiations and trades. No idea how good he'll be at evaluating the value of players and translating that into dollars, whether it's UFAs, RFAs, or the return value in trades.
Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
wow lol come on man...You guys really think McGuire is the one of the only guys around the NHL that knows the 'good and bad' about teams/players?

Jeez...I know media influences the masses, but it shouldn't prevent critical thinking.
Didn't Molson say he had a big list, and wanted to speak to everybody, because it's good to have their input on what needs to be done, what's going on around the league, etc.
Basically, gather as much info as possible from as many candidates as possible. Really take advantage of this job hiring process.

Something Gainey clearly didn't give two craps about just handing out the keys to the one besides him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Honestly at this point I don't even care about Kaberle, he is more useful than Gomez. Another reason I would keep him is because of Markov, we just don't know what's going to happen with a full schedule and we can't take any chances. Play Kaberle mostly on the pp and keep him around at 13-15 minutes a night

And yes build an identity, absolutely agreed on that
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaberle have a hard summer training, and come back better next year.
Last year, he played through june, short summer, divorced, moved. That's a lot of stuff to deal with. Not too surprising he didn't come in in tip top shape.
I guess we'll see how serious he is in improving this summer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I agree that the team should be better but dont get carried away. There is alot of work to do before this team can really contend.
In some poeple's eyes.

I see a team that lost many 1 goal games last year, has several young impact guys another year older and will have cap space to improve the team in areas as well.

2 seasons ago they were an OT goal away from a 7th game defeat of the eventual cup champs. Why people think they need some 3 year rebuild is beyond me.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaberle have a hard summer training, and come back better next year.
Last year, he played through june, short summer, divorced, moved. That's a lot of stuff to deal with. Not too surprising he didn't come in in tip top shape.
I guess we'll see how serious he is in improving this summer.
So he got divorced, already found a new chick and just had a baby, holly **** he is much more productive off ice that's for sure

Old
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
both will be in the KHL next season.
Doubt it.

Old
Koivu_habs#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
Am I the only one who think he look a lot like Mac Templeton ?
Hahaha I thought the same but a mixture of Templeton and Carbo.

Koivu_habs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:41 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

Dare Accepted.

Logan Couture
James Neal
Evander Kane
Bobby Ryan

Old
05-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
In some poeple's eyes.

I see a team that lost many 1 goal games last year, has several young impact guys another year older and will have cap space to improve the team in areas as well.

2 seasons ago they were an OT goal away from a 7th game defeat of the eventual cup champs. Why people think they need some 3 year rebuild is beyond me.
People have to stop believing in that crap, yes we played the Bruins very well but it doesn't mean anything. We match up very well against Boston it's not a surprise to anyone that we gave them a hard time. Tampa was also a goal away from beating Boston and look at the season they had.

We aren't as bad as we were this year, I said that all year long, we aren't a 15th place team in the East but we aren't as close as people think. There is plenty of work to be done but like Bergevin said we at least have a great starting core to build from

Old
05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by homaridii View Post
i bet you that if you tell nashville today of a patches for radulov trade, they would take it hands down.

Find me 3 power forwards under 25 in the entire nhl who scored 30 goals last year. I dare you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock View Post
dare accepted.

Logan couture
james neal
evander kane
bobby ryan
boom

Old
05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
People have to stop believing in that crap, yes we played the Bruins very well but it doesn't mean anything. We match up very well against Boston it's not a surprise to anyone that we gave them a hard time. Tampa was also a goal away from beating Boston and look at the season they had.

We aren't as bad as we were this year, I said that all year long, we aren't a 15th place team in the East but we aren't as close as people think. There is plenty of work to be done but like Bergevin said we at least have a great starting core to build from
So if the Habs have a great core of young guys to build around, and it's another year in the future and some of those young guys will be better this year, and some guys who were hurt last year cuold be better...please explain why there is so much work to be done and the habs can't be in the division race next year?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
DUH, of course they would. He has an attitude problem and could bolt to the KHL at any minute.

Reread my post. I said I would prefer to keep Patches but SKILL vs SKILL Radulov is better.
Who cares about who is more skilled. The fact is that Pacioretty will out perform Radulov therefore Pacioretty is the better player......this is why you would rather have Pacioretty by your own admission.

I said that Max is a better core piece.......I guarantee you David Poile would agree with that!

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Shred

Quote:
So he got divorced, already found a new chick and just had a baby, holly **** he is much more productive off ice that's for sure
What if he got divorced BECAUSE he got the new chick pregnant and the old one found out!

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's what people were saying. Finally got divorced in the summer 2011. Doesn't they were still together then, divorces are only legal matters. It's a piece of paper you sign to officially declare your separation. You can sign divorce papers 4years after breaking up. Don't know the issue, or if it's even true, but it's what I heard.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Has no problem getting a shot off when he's not on the ice.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
What if he got divorced BECAUSE he got the new chick pregnant and the old one found out!
So he a cheater, awesome!!!. I wonder if it's his sister in law

Old
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It certainly is. The way this was passed up so easily by some people here (or in the media) was really surprising to me. The experience this man has gathered over his entire career (both as player and front office) is simply huge.
It was even more surprising how people insisted on him lacking experience because he only has one year as AGM. You can't have it all. I think most agree Nill was their first choice, but otherwise Bergevin was a clear favorite in my eyes (and yours I remember ).
I also think the fact he's been part of original 6 teams, both as a player and front office, was an added bonus. Knowing that those organization are mean more than your average one.

The only things that really are question marks are the negotiations and trades. No idea how good he'll be at evaluating the value of players and translating that into dollars, whether it's UFAs, RFAs, or the return value in trades.
Only time will tell.

Didn't Molson say he had a big list, and wanted to speak to everybody, because it's good to have their input on what needs to be done, what's going on around the league, etc.
Basically, gather as much info as possible from as many candidates as possible. Really take advantage of this job hiring process.

Something Gainey clearly didn't give two craps about just handing out the keys to the one besides him.
Rick Dudley was just on 990 again speaking about Marc Bergevin...even more revealing then he was when he was on with Tony a couple of weeks ago.

He said that during his time in Chicago, Bergevin was heavily involved in every discussion for players, whether at pro or amateur level. He specifically mentioned them drafting Andrew Shaw last year, a guy they drafted in the 5th round, a player who had gone undrafted in 2 previous drafts...Dudley said that Bergevin explicitly advised them to draft Shaw (he went out of his way to insist they draft Shaw).
He also offered other examples.

I find it sad people are more interested in talking about Pierre McGuire...was really sad IMO, 90% of calls on 990 yesterday and today are all about Pierre McGuire

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Has no problem getting a shot off when he's not on the ice.
And he hits the target that's for sure