HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Lots of O and not enough D = wrong but lots of D and not enough O = right?

Old
05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Lots of O and not enough D = wrong but lots of D and not enough O = right?

Seriously why is that?

The number of times the Caps could have easily kept pressure on the Rangers offensively last night by simply holding the blueline with their defensemen was unbelievable but 95% of the time they had abandoned the zone way before there was anywhere close to a risk.

For God's sake the Caps were winning offensive zone faceoffs cleanly and not able to keep the puck in the zone because the defensemen had already started back.

And for those saying the Rangers and Caps are playing the same systems you are crazy because the Rangers defense is allowed to and actually encouraged to step up and push the play. One of the few times the Caps did this Carlson scored. And I know I wasn't the only one who said, 'I wonder if he will get benched for that?'

So yeah find a friggin' balance...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
txpd

hunter is not interested in balance. he wants the games tight. his hope is to keep the game scoreless until his team gets one and then the one is enough until the opposition proves that the caps need another one.

last night the plan failed when they got to ot and didnt get the goal. that said, it makes every game a game where one play or one bounce carries the game. caps lost basically because of a blocked shot that was only deflected and hit another caps player and became a nice bounce for the rangers.

if i had to guess, i'd say that hunter is trying to prove his bunch is more mentally tough than the other bunch by forcing both teams into all this tie game/one goal lead hockey. i think he thinks his bunch can make the other bunch crack under the stress.

the caps just need to win the next game.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Millhaus

This isn't about what Hunter wants, this is about the absurdity of what Hunter wants and the hypocrisy of the 'cult of defense' around here.

This style of play isn't any more right than Boudreau's attack attack attack and hold the blueline at all cost approach.

And they aren't winning this series playing this style. The advantage offensively that the Rangers have because their defense is trusted to help out and having the better goaltender is going make the difference.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
hunter is not interested in balance. he wants the games tight. his hope is to keep the game scoreless until his team gets one and then the one is enough until the opposition proves that the caps need another one.

last night the plan failed when they got to ot and didnt get the goal. that said, it makes every game a game where one play or one bounce carries the game. caps lost basically because of a blocked shot that was only deflected and hit another caps player and became a nice bounce for the rangers.

if i had to guess, i'd say that hunter is trying to prove his bunch is more mentally tough than the other bunch by forcing both teams into all this tie game/one goal lead hockey. i think he thinks his bunch can make the other bunch crack under the stress.

the caps just need to win the next game.
I'm pretty sure the Caps got a bounce to go their way on the only goal for them. Hockey is a game of luck as well and "bounces" play into it..

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I saw those same few times where the puck was dribbling back to our dmen at the point, and they backed away. I hate that... but get livid when we are losing late in the 3rd and I see that. Tie game, I can understand having the dmen back off. Holtby is just a kid our 3G and I think Dale wants to support him as much as possible. He is playing it safe but times they felt 100% sure they could move up, they did.

Look no further than the final goal in the B's series - a Dman abandoned point duties to bring O.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

It's why Orlov isn't playing. It's partly why Hamrlik was benched. It's why Green is having a tough time. Hunter doesn't want D supporting the O. Thank goodness sometimes the D lose their bearings and try to support like Carlson last night.

Wideman can do whatever he wants.

And yes............I agree it's absurd. Having said that the Caps easily could have bagged a win last night had they just had some finish. They were so shocked they had a three on one that they didn't know what to do. LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Roughing

We went from one extreme to the other. Both approaches are stupid.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
It's why Orlov isn't playing. It's partly why Hamrlik was benched. It's why Green is having a tough time. Hunter doesn't want D supporting the O. Thank goodness sometimes the D lose their bearings and try to support like Carlson last night.

Wideman can do whatever he wants.

And yes............I agree it's absurd. Having said that the Caps easily could have bagged a win last night had they just had some finish. They were so shocked they had a three on one that they didn't know what to do. LOL
Carlson seems like he is getting more of a green light lately. He was up in the goalie's face when he took that bogus penalty and he made a couple sorties up front last night. Since he seems to be out of his brain dead phase, I'm fairly confident in him picking his spots. Heck, even Hamr joined in a couple times.

That three on one was turrrible. Having Laich stick handle is probably the least likely move to result in a goal there.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote