HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice on blockers and gloves and a goalie jock for a new goalie

Old
05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
ganave

vCash: 500
Advice on blockers and gloves and a goalie jock for a new goalie

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to being getting the rest of my goalie gear to move past just skating drills.

What I have:

Skates - BauerOne60 goalie skates
Pants - Reebok 9K goalie pants
Leg Pads - Used Reeboks, they're 9Ks or better

What I need:

Goalie Jock - I like the thought of Reeboks one stop solution. http://www.goaliemonkey.com/reebok-g...-pants-sr.html

Has anyone used there or should I go with a more traditional goalie jock?

Glove and Blocker - I have no predisposition to one brand or another, but I'd like good serviceable gear that is a step above entry level. I'll be buying it through GoalieMonkey.com or their new giant store they opened in Norwood, MA. I'd also like a glove that won't take a long time to break in.

Helmet - I'm going to try on a bunch and stay away from cheap ones. I'm not skimping on a helmet.

Throat Guard - No hard decision here

Neck Collar - They all look alike to me. Is one vastly better than another?

Chest/Arm protector - One step up from entry level. I'd like to spend between $200-250.

Suspenders - No hard decision

I've called a lot of Play it again sports and none of them really clean out their goalie gear thoroughly. A lot of it is really beat up too.

Thanks!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to being getting the rest of my goalie gear to move past just skating drills.

What I have:

What I need:

Goalie Jock - I like the thought of Reeboks one stop solution. http://www.goaliemonkey.com/reebok-g...-pants-sr.html

Glove and Blocker - I have no predisposition to one brand or another, but I'd like good serviceable gear that is a step above entry level. I'll be buying it through GoalieMonkey.com or their new giant store they opened in Norwood, MA. I'd also like a glove that won't take a long time to break in.

Helmet - I'm going to try on a bunch and stay away from cheap ones. I'm not skimping on a helmet.

Chest/Arm protector - One step up from entry level. I'd like to spend between $200-250.

I've called a lot of Play it again sports and none of them really clean out their goalie gear thoroughly. A lot of it is really beat up too.

Thanks!
Mask - Hackva or Fusion. Pro level mask for $350-$400.

Neck guard - Maltese Combo (http://maltesesports.com/products.html)

C/A - PM me, I just bought a new one and have a pro level C/A that I was going to put on the Bay. Assuming we wear the same size, I'll save you some cash to put towards other equipment and you'll get a nice broken in c/a with excellent protection.

Gloves/Blocker - Best advice is to try a bunch on and pick what feels best to you.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Hi all,

What I have:

What I need:

Thanks!
for glove I love the TPS break as well as Brians. they are a bit on the heavier side but they are more comfortable.
Blocker I like vaughn/ bauer... lighter, equal protection.
Helmet I always go mid grade bauer with a cat eye, but Eddys masks are also really good.
chest protector I like vaughn the most

FYI, if you live in MA then wait until July. the Play it Again in Dedham has a 25-75% off all hockey gear the first or second weekend in july. call to double check the date but I believe its the weekend of the 1st, but it might be the 7th/8th. you can get good deals on new and used gear.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:52 AM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
for glove I love the TPS break as well as Brians. they are a bit on the heavier side but they are more comfortable.
Blocker I like vaughn/ bauer... lighter, equal protection.
Helmet I always go mid grade bauer with a cat eye, but Eddys masks are also really good.
chest protector I like vaughn the most

FYI, if you live in MA then wait until July. the Play it Again in Dedham has a 25-75% off all hockey gear the first or second weekend in july. call to double check the date but I believe its the weekend of the 1st, but it might be the 7th/8th. you can get good deals on new and used gear.
Thanks, I cant wait until July, but my brother is interested in joining me (not as a goalie though!).

Pelts has a used c/a blocker and glove that I'll go with.

For a goalie jock has anyone used the reebok thermal/pant combo or should i get a more traditional jock?

Old
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Thanks, I cant wait until July, but my brother is interested in joining me (not as a goalie though!).

Pelts has a used c/a blocker and glove that I'll go with.

For a goalie jock has anyone used the reebok thermal/pant combo or should i get a more traditional jock?
I don't trust combos. I like smaller jocks and smaller pants because of the mobility. I would definitely go to a store and test out equipment, so the Monkey Sports in Norwood would be perfect for that. You'll find that pants/ jocks come in bulky, hard to move but cover more of the net size and a smaller, easy movement but less net coverage. same with the gloves/ blockers. the only real way to tell what is best for you is to go to a store and test them, especially with goalie gear being so ****ing expensive.
Also, what level hockey are you playing? If its not semi-pro or college I wouldn't go any higher than the "senior" grade. the Pro grade is actually heavier because it is built for protection against serious shooters (think 90 mph). In the end going with higher end senior grade equipment over pro grade will end up saving 400$ or so, probably more.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
ganave

Thanks again. I'm going for the most bang for my buck, the pro stuff is eye-meltingly expensive.

Yeah, going with a separate jock and avoiding a combo. I'm nabbing a c/a, blocker, catcher from Pelt which will get me mostly all set. Going to get a helmet in two weeks and I'll start the instructional league that week.

I'll have a really odd color combo. Red/black/white reebok pads, white/blue catcher and a white/blue blocker.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Hank4Hart

i would go with the traditional jock as well.

also, in regards to a mask. if you really must have a goalie mask, then go with hackva/fusion like previously suggested, or you can go for a sportmask. Personally i love the sportmask x8 or the mage, both have incredible visibility.

if you want to save money and have your head protected, i also recommend a jofa combo, any combinations of 390/387 , 390/267 (aka the soderstorm combo), or 282/724 (irbe combo) will work like a charm, better than all the entry level masks and on par with the senior level ones. just have to search on ebay for a bit they come up every few days.... another option would be a cooper combo, however the cooper combo exposes the forehead more and has a bigger flat spot so you are more likely to get a pressure cut...

maltese combo for neck guard is definitely the way to go! totally worth the money, especially if you plan on going with out a dangler... but if you are going with a dangler i think a maltese might be overkill...

if you are looking to spend between 200-250 for a c/a , brians b-star c/a is listed at 199.98 on goaliemonkey.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote