HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #276
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Is there any other option ?
...make it look like an accident

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
  #277
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
...make it look like an accident
you mean send Luca Brasi to talk to him?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
  #278
Knuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
From best solution to worse:

1. Trade Gomez away, without giving anything more (pick)
2. Convince him to retire
3. Send him to ECL, Europe and any team other than Bulldogs and Habs
4. Send him to Bulldogs Hamilton
5. Trade Gomez away, and absorb another over-paid player (ex: Penner, Redden, etc.)
6. Trade Gomez away, and give a medium to low pick
7. Buy him out
8. Play him in Habs jersey

I'll be very happy with option #1-3. I'm ok with options #4-6. I'll be upset with the last two options.

Is there any other option ?
- Amnesty buy-out (we can dream)
- Send him to AHL for one year, with agreement to buy-out at end of season (reduces impact of buy out, but still saves 1.5M of salary).

Knuckles30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
  #279
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
...make it look like an accident
A Gilhooly, ... I like it (kidding, not promoting timely accidents)

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
  #280
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,322
vCash: 500
keeping him and playing him permanently as the 4th line C between Moen/White is a much better scenario than buying him out.

if they won't bury him or can't trade him, I hope Bergevin & whomever the new coach is are smart enough to figure that out.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
  #281
Knuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
keeping him and playing him permanently as the 4th line C between Moen/White is a much better scenario than buying him out.

if they won't bury him or can't trade him, I hope Bergevin & whomever the new coach is are smart enough to figure that out.
I disagree. Between sending him to the minors and buying him out, sending to the minors is clearly the preferred choice from a salary cap point of view. But between playing him and buying him out, I think the buyout is the better option.

Year / Cap hit if on roster / cap hit if bought out

2012 / 7.3 / 3.5
2013 / 7.3 / 4.5
2014 / 0 / 1.6
2015 / 0 / 1.6


You save 3.8M in 2012 and 2.8M in 2013 at a cost of 1.6M in 2014 and 2015. I'd say buy him out.

Of course, as mentioned above, you could send him to the AHL and have no cap hit at all...

Knuckles30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
  #282
Knuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
To take it further, let's say you buy out Gomez and sign Gaustad to 4 years 3M per year (and no, I wouldn't pay Gaustad that much, but I'm trying to make a point).

year / cap hit of Gomez playing 2 years + Gaustad level replacement in 2014 / cap hit of Gaustad + Gomez buy out

2012 / 7.3 / 6.5
2013 / 7.3 / 7.5
2014 / 3.0 / 4.6
2015 / 3.0 / 4.6

Which scenario do you prefer for the 4th line?

Knuckles30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
  #283
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
I disagree. Between sending him to the minors and buying him out, sending to the minors is clearly the preferred choice from a salary cap point of view. But between playing him and buying him out, I think the buyout is the better option.

Year / Cap hit if on roster / cap hit if bought out

2012 / 7.3 / 3.5
2013 / 7.3 / 4.5
2014 / 0 / 1.6
2015 / 0 / 1.6


You save 3.8M in 2012 and 2.8M in 2013 at a cost of 1.6M in 2014 and 2015. I'd say buy him out.

Of course, as mentioned above, you could send him to the AHL and have no cap hit at all...
still prefer using him on the 4th line.

he didn't seem to be any distraction or attitude problem, and as bad as he's been, he'd still be a very good 4th line C.

buy him out, and you don't really "save" 3.8M, you end up with 3.8M$ to spend but an extra roster spot that needs to be filled.

let's say you spend ~1.5M$ on a suitable 4th line C replacement (to get a player as good or better in a 4th line role, i think 1-2M is a reasonable cost expectation), that leaves you ~2M$ "saved" in the first year, and only 700K "saved" in the 2nd year... and at the cost of a "dead" 1.6M$ for the next 2 seasons.

if he were a serious distraction, or really not suited/able to play a solid 4th line role, then sure, the buy-out makes sense. But unlike a guy like Laraque, who couldn't give the team anything outside his expected role, Gomez can be a very useful bottom-6/4th line contributor despite being paid like an elite top-6/first line player.

just a matter of the coaching staff using him properly, and avoiding the temptation of keeping Gomez in the rotation with the other 3 C's in the top-9.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
  #284
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,322
vCash: 500
duplicate

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  #285
Knuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
still prefer using him on the 4th line.

he didn't seem to be any distraction or attitude problem, and as bad as he's been, he'd still be a very good 4th line C.
Agree to disagree, I guess. I want my 4th line to wear down the other teams D, and I don't want any forward on my roster who can't score 10 (ok, maybe 7) in a season. I don't see Gomez fitting either of those criteria.

Knuckles30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
  #286
Peace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
I suggest we apply the tuition fees over 7 years instead of 5 years

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
  #287
baback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
you mean send Luca Brasi to talk to him?
Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes...

baback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
  #288
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
From best solution to worse:

1. Trade Gomez away, without giving anything more (pick)
2. Convince him to retire
3. Send him to ECL, Europe and any team other than Bulldogs and Habs
4. Send him to Bulldogs Hamilton
5. Trade Gomez away, and absorb another over-paid player (ex: Penner, Redden, etc.)
6. Trade Gomez away, and give a medium to low pick
7. Buy him out
8. Play him in Habs jersey

I'll be very happy with option #1-3. I'm ok with options #4-6. I'll be upset with the last two options.

Is there any other option ?
I think the best option is too loan him out like Chicago did with Huet. This guy can't play with us anymore. It was embarrassing watching the team celebrate like we won a Stanley cup when he scored his first goal in over a year against an awful Islander team. This guy is making 7 million dollars for goodness sakes.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
  #289
GrangerX
Registered User
 
GrangerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Buyout makes little sense, nor does keeping him on the roster. Saving 3 mil in actual salary to take an 11 mil cap hit over the next 4 years would be incompetent. Spend the extra 3 mil, pay him his 10 mil and send him to the minors for 2 years...same thing Rangers did with Redden. Problem solved. Gomez is not a dressing room cancer..he sucks but his teammates like him by all accounts. Nor will any free agent who wants to sign in Montreal care if he's given his money and with the fresh air of the new administration. Richards, Gaborik and whoever else didn't care about Redden when they signed in New York. If anything some players won't wanna come here because they have a better chance to win elsewhere or because there's less pressure...not because of Gomez who everyone knows has arguably worst contract in the history of the league.

Or if we get lucky and the freebee buyout option arises when this CBA expires in the summer, obviously you do that.

GrangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
  #290
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,180
vCash: 500
Yes, let's have a 4th line centre that doesn't hit or win faceoffs. All these teams in the playoffs have one!

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
  #291
posterboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
trade him for mcdonagh... it happened before

posterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
  #292
Shadyone33
Registered User
 
Shadyone33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
I haven't read any posts yet in this topic, but I would hope that the Habs management would at least wait for the new CBA to at least see if there will be a chance for an amnesty buy-out. Everything I've read points to no, but there's no harm in waiting.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:02 PM
  #293
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by posterboy View Post
trade him for mcdonagh... it happened before
The day Gainey or Gauthier gets the job in New York, yes it might happen.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:01 AM
  #294
oilersfann99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The day Gainey or Gauthier gets the job in New York, yes it might happen.
. Would you hand fans trade Scott Gomez for our 1st overall pick?

oilersfann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:06 AM
  #295
InnuJoker
P.K./Price 3x low 5
 
InnuJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Maybe there's still hope for Gomez, if Marc Bergevin is able to get Zach Parise (free agent this summer) during the draft, just think what the Parise-Gomez-Gionta line could do. That line was absolutely beast during the 05-06 and 06-07 season.

Gomez 2005-2006 84pts / 2006-2007 60pts
Gionta 2005-2006 89pts / 2006-2007 45pts
Parise 2005-2006 32pts / 2006-2007 62 pts
(Parise didn't do too bad during his rookie year and sophomore year.)

InnuJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:26 AM
  #296
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnuJoker View Post
Maybe there's still hope for Gomez, if Marc Bergevin is able to get Zach Parise (free agent this summer) during the draft, just think what the Parise-Gomez-Gionta line could do. That line was absolutely beast during the 05-06 and 06-07 season.

Gomez 2005-2006 84pts / 2006-2007 60pts
Gionta 2005-2006 89pts / 2006-2007 45pts
Parise 2005-2006 32pts / 2006-2007 62 pts
(Parise didn't do too bad during his rookie year and sophomore year.)
I've bolded the problem for you.

It's May 4th, 2012.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:05 AM
  #297
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,734
vCash: 500
It's gotta be Hamilton or Europe guys, gotta be...save the Cap space and move on...paying Gomez 4.5M and 5.5M the next two years and not have his 7.3M count vs the cap is the ONLY thing to do....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
  #298
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
It's gotta be Hamilton or Europe guys, gotta be...save the Cap space and move on...paying Gomez 4.5M and 5.5M the next two years and not have his 7.3M count vs the cap is the ONLY thing to do....
You'd think Molson would want to do this to give his rookie GM the best possible chance instead of handcuffing him with 8 mil on the cap over the next 2 years.

Strictly from a financial standpoint, the 3.3 mil extra Molson spends could turn into a huge proffit if that player we can add with that 4 mil/year helps put us in the playoffs or helps us get another playoff round. Every 2 extra 3 playoff games per round probably brings in 8-10 mil in gross revenue.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
  #299
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnuJoker View Post
Maybe there's still hope for Gomez, if Marc Bergevin is able to get Zach Parise (free agent this summer) during the draft, just think what the Parise-Gomez-Gionta line could do. That line was absolutely beast during the 05-06 and 06-07 season.

Gomez 2005-2006 84pts / 2006-2007 60pts
Gionta 2005-2006 89pts / 2006-2007 45pts
Parise 2005-2006 32pts / 2006-2007 62 pts
(Parise didn't do too bad during his rookie year and sophomore year.)
They played with Elias, not Parise. It was known as the EGG line.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
  #300
baldrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Anywhere but Hamilton,preferably Europe!

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.