HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The FAN 1200 - Pierre McGuire - 3rd overall vs J. Staal??

Old
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
look if you get stall you trade away pleky or DD

either way it seems both DD and pleky wont top 70 points ever again and neither would stall but stall brings in size, grit and youth.

if you get him signed, he's an automatic upgrade over dd and plek.
Then you move one of the 2

We wont be worse with stall instead of DD or Plek. We wont be greatly better either, but we would be better and younger.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
but this year is one of the weakest drafts in atleast the last 5 years.
That's after pick #5-7 (depending on who you ask)... Or it looks like one of the weakest drafts after pick 5-7. There's still interesting players after that though.

The top 5 looks like a lot of potential 1st liners and/or 1st pairing dmen. (Again depending on whose evaluation you're reading)

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Did anyone else just heard what Pierre McGuire just said on The FAN 1200?

3rd overall vs Jordan Staal
Not a great fit.

1-the value is off, Staal is a good player but not worth a #3 overall pick with only 1 year left on his contract before UFA. it's much like Getzlaf...nice guy to have but too risky unless you can be 100% sure to sign an extension.

2-I don't see a fit, we already have two guys that are strong 2 way guys. Staal profiles an excellent #2 center on most teams. He gives us what we are already getting from Eller and Plekanec

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Not a #1 centre and UFA in 1 year. No.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

[QUOTE=habitue;49207223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Please no !!!!![/QUOTE

If Stall is acquired, Plekanec will be traded for a good second line winger.

The third pick will not be a concession player anyway.
Plekanec is more valuable than a 2nd line winger and #3 overall is overpayment for a #2 center with 1 year left before UFA.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
There's not much difference between Staal and Plekanec. So it's #3 for Letang and I'd add a little more to sweeten the pot. Staal's an impending UFA after next season, I wouldn't even think about #3 for Staal straight up - sillyness.
sillyness is you thinking the pens will give up letang for anything

are you kidding? Letang has becoming a top 10 D and is great in all zones. Has a great contract and a lot of years in front of him.

No GM would trade letang. We'd have to break the bank to get Shero to listen.

Stall + Letang even if Stall is pending UFA would cost 3rd+Subban just as an admission ticket to the party. Stall and Letang are part of Pens core.

I personally dont think stall is going anywhere and i dont even think pens are even thinking about moving him.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
hes not the first or last to suggest that
its been suggested by alot of ppl both on this site and in the media.

I'm not sure about it though.
J. Stall looks to have a ceilling of 60 points but he has so many intangibles that he can bring to the table, but he would have to play #2 C minutes.

Who get the boot then? DD? Pleks?
Why? The man plays 20min in Pittsburgh being Crosby and Malkin. If he's good enough to play that much there, he's certainly would be getting top line minutes here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Jordan Staal keeps getting better and better despite limited ice time (no pp) and can shut down. I don't like the fact that he will be a UFA after next season but if we can trade for him I'd be all in. He was great in the playoffs
He does play around 2min per game on the PP.

His contract is indeed the issue. Trading a 3rd for him would be stupid at this point.
Also, if the #3 is up in the air, and Pittsburgh wants to build differently, I think one of Crosby/Malkin should be on the outs, and load their winger depth with such a trade.
They won't be able to re-sign all three.
So, I'd try to persuade Pittsburgh into trading one of their superstars here instead of Staal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That's after pick #5-7 (depending on who you ask)... Or it looks like one of the weakest drafts after pick 5-7. There's still interesting players after that though.

The top 5 looks like a lot of potential 1st liners and/or 1st pairing dmen. (Again depending on whose evaluation you're reading)
If anything this years draft is good for teams looking for D.
Forsberg and Galy would not go in the top 5 in recent drafts.

Yakupov might be the only that would go top 5 in any draft.
Grigorenko has dropped significantly.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
DenverHabsFan

Not sure what the Pens would gain from that move. Crosby is one big hit away from retirement and Stall has been able to step up when needed.

Their main need is goalie depth. They can probably draft a really good one with their current pick or go UFA.

Makes no sense from the Pens perspective. It would be a complete knee-jerk over their loss to the Flyers.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
shutehinside

I like Staal but I don't think this is a trade you can make for several reasons.

He's never had more than 50 points in his career, hardly 1st line numbers. One can argue its because he's doesnt get quality ice time to which I'd argue he plays against far inferior match ups. Imagine if a top line centre payed against 3rd line match ups? They'd light it up for the most part, at least get more than a career high 50 points.

It's not everyday that you get a top 3 pick. Maybe this isn't the deepest draft at #3 and with good scouts (Timmins) you can certainly get a very serviceable player to play on your top 2 lines, defense or forward. You also get this payer for virtually nothing, cost wise. Why give up a potentially solid NHLer to pay a player who lets say is as good as the prospect will be and pay him millions more in salary? Makes no sense.

This takes me to my last point. You're better off taking the pick and use the cash to sign a UFA who can help now. That way, with the same money, or close to it, you get not 1 but 2 very good players that can be used in your line up. Adds depth and talent at a reasonable price.

All that being said, the only way I'd trade the 3rd is to get a bona fida #1 player or one that you feel has more upside than who ever youll draft. Other than that I can't see a reason why ou trade the pick. Also explain why it's so rare to see a top pick get traded. The upside is always potential and teams will rarely pay the steep price of what a player COULD become. In any case, I don't think J Staal is better than some of the names we can get T that spot. E. Staal, now that's a different story!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

Thanks god he is not habs GM!

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Not sure what the Pens would gain from that move. Crosby is one big hit away from retirement and Stall has been able to step up when needed.

Their main need is goalie depth. They can probably draft a really good one with their current pick or go UFA.

Makes no sense from the Pens perspective. It would be a complete knee-jerk over their loss to the Flyers.
At some point they have to move one of their 3 centers as all 3 have contracts coming up and will require big money and possibly raises. If they wait until next summer they'll get nothing for Staal(UFA).

Old
Frozenice
the random dude

I'd look at moving our 1st round pick next year instead. Our 1st this year can get us a top end offensive forward (which we need). Staal would be great fit with Pacioretty and DD, imo.

If Pittsburgh decides to keep him until the end of next season maybe we end up swapping 1st round picks with the Pens. There's going to be a bidding war for him, I think he'll fetch more than Kovy did.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I'd do it without hesitation.

edit: if there was an extension.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 05-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
At some point they have to move one of their 3 centers as all 3 have contracts coming up and will require big money and possibly raises. If they wait until next summer they'll get nothing for Staal(UFA).
If they trade him and Crosby is out again for a long period of time, they're down to Malkin. That's a big gamble and I would be shocked if they don't come to an agreement before he hits the UFA market.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
billy piton

i'd prefer james neal, but staal is good as well.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd do it without hesitation.
Let them sign him to a contract extension before the draft and then stab him in the back by trading for our 3rd. It will have the added benefit that Stall will be very motivated when we play the Pens.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I would do this within a heartbeat if Staal was signed for more than one year

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

We already have a Jordan Staal, his name is Lars Eller.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Let them sign him to a contract extension before the draft and then stab him in the back by trading for our 3rd. It will have the added benefit that Stall will be very motivated when we play the Pens.
lol, a little much but I should've added I'd expect an extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Ha, good one. Even so, is having Staal and Eller for the future such a bad thing?

Old
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It is the contract situation that is the kicker. I'd trade the #3 overall for long-term possession of Staal. Easy. But with the reality instead that Staal is just signed for 1 more year and then becomes UFA... well, it's a non-starter.
I agree with this.

If we were given the opportunity to discuss an extension with J.Staal and could get him locked up long term at a reasonable rate then i would trade the 3rd for him any day of the week.

But if we only get him for a year then have to take our chances then it probably doesn't make alot of sense.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Eller's got a LONG way to go. Staal's already there.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

BTW, no one on the habs center chart will get traded if this happen. While it leaves the door open for that every center we'd have would be capable to play wing. DD started his career on wing, same with Plekanec, Staal plays wing at times with Malkin and Eller can play wing. Granted, they are all better suited at the center position but why is having depth and versatility a bad thing? We can mix and match and more than one guy can take faceoffs on a line.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Patty Roy

If we were to get J.Staal for a pick i'm betting Plekanec would be on his way out for a winger.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Eller's got a LONG way to go. Staal's already there.
Yes, and Staal is being paid like someone who is already there, and will cost us the price of someone who is 'already there' whereas Eller will grow into his role over time and be cheap until he does. This team is not in 'win now' mode.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote