Notices

Flames sign Roman Cervenka

Old
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
flamesfever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Except we're not paying him 3.75, he's getting 925,000 or around there and everything else is in performance bonuses. If he's triggering those bonuses then chances are we'll be pretty damn happy with the signing as he's producing.
This.

Base salary is just $925,000, and IF he qualifies performances bonuses $850,000 and $2 million apiece. It's a freaking great deal with limited risk.

The more I think about it it more likely this affects Comeau and Stempniak and maybe not Jokinen as much. It is more than likely that Blake Comeau doesn't get an offer as he was making a guaranteed $2.5M and is an RFA.

Comeau was and is bust as a reliable NHL point producer.

Throw in Lee Stempniak 1.9M who is an UFA and you almost at par with these two...

Cervenka (assume max salary) and Aliu (assuming he resigns as he is an RFA at 845k) $4.6M in

Stempniak and Comeau out at 4.4M

I like it.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I was listening to Warrener this morning on the Fan and he was saying when he was in Florida that a guy (like Cervenka) was signed a got quite a bit more money than other players on the team. He said that it pisses some of the players off that a guy who has never played in an NHL game before gets more money than say someone like Glencross and Moss who are now proven vets that have scored 20+ goals. Anyways, I don't expect it to cause alot of problems because he likely won't earn up to the 3.775, but it is something interesting to consider on how this may affect the locker room.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
get some facts, Cervenka is (was ?) hated because he burned truckload of goal scoring chances, most of them served by Jagr.
Coach even sit him for a game.

But i think the hate is gone, becuase most ppl thought he was product of Jagr, but Cervenka dominated KHL stats after Jagr left too.

Im not sure if he is going to rock in NHL, most likely not that much, but i wish you guys and to him GL
He had to play on the top line against the opponent's best defensemen, alongside two players of much higher skill (Jagr+Plekanec). Of course he looked like he's struggling... And by the way, he was benched only for two periods, to which he responded by scoring a hattrick in the next game as I am sure you'd remember.

Nevermind, I don't want to be Cervenka apologist here, I believe Czech Republic has better players both in NHL and current National Team...I just believe that he can be a solid TOP6 forward in the NHL, something that my other fellow countrymen could try to deny in discussions with Flames fans here on HF .

RebelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I was listening to Warrener this morning on the Fan and he was saying when he was in Florida that a guy (like Cervenka) was signed a got quite a bit more money than other players on the team. He said that it pisses some of the players off that a guy who has never played in an NHL game before gets more money than say someone like Glencross and Moss who are now proven vets that have scored 20+ goals. Anyways, I don't expect it to cause alot of problems because he likely won't earn up to the 3.775, but it is something interesting to consider on how this may affect the locker room.
The more Warrener speaks the more I think he suffered serious concussions and is out of touch with reality.

The guy is completely out to lunch. Its funny I used to love the guy when he played and defended him tooth and nail, but now he is a ****ing moron and just needs to shut up already and do some god damn research.

Its an ELC, all the money is in bonuses and if Capgeek is correct (and they usually are) the bonuses are for major awards like the Hart, Conn Smythe, Selke and accomplishments like 1st or 2nd team all-star and top 10 in league scoring. Here is a quote from teh trade board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
Tweeted by @capgeek today:
Quote:
Cervenka's bonuses totalling $2m are for Hart, Richard, Selke and Conn Smythe voting, all-star team selection, and top-10 scoring stats.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Those are some pretty steep bonuses. I hope he achieves them all.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
The more Warrener speaks the more I think he suffered serious concussions and is out of touch with reality.

The guy is completely out to lunch. Its funny I used to love the guy when he played and defended him tooth and nail, but now he is a ****ing moron and just needs to shut up already and do some god damn research.

Its an ELC, all the money is in bonuses and if Capgeek is correct (and they usually are) the bonuses are for major awards like the Hart, Conn Smythe, Selke and accomplishments like 1st or 2nd team all-star and top 10 in league scoring. Here is a quote from teh trade board
Im with you on this one. I used to love Warrener, but now it just seems like he talks to get reactions, rather than doing research and knowing what hes taking about. He went from being a refreshing pov, to another mindless media personality running his mouth.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Those are some pretty steep bonuses. I hope he achieves them all.
no **** eh? If he achieves them all maybe he will also get a smaller bonus for winning the Calder

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
no **** eh? If he achieves them all maybe he will also get a smaller bonus for winning the Calder
Idk, I heard that Kreider kid has it all locked up

Old
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
From the piece at flames.nhl.com:
Quote:
According to his agent, Ales Volek, many NHL teams had interest in signing Cervenka, but the Flames were clearly No. 1 among the bidders.

"There were some other offers, but the Flames have been working on it for a long time," Cervenka said. "They have visited me in Russia, which meant a lot to me. The others probably expected me to play at the World Championship and thought we could have some talks there, but that did not happen. This season was over for me and I had already decided about 90 percent for Calgary. I just wanted to hear other offers, too."
I guess we're starting to see the fruits of that scouting overhaul Feaster and friends have been talking about. They were going after this guy early and aggressively and it paid off.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
From the piece at flames.nhl.com:

I guess we're starting to see the fruits of that scouting overhaul Feaster and friends have been talking about. They were going after this guy early and aggressively and it paid off.
Well it hasn't paid off yet. Who knows how he plays on a smaller ice surface, and against the best players in the world.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Interesting signing. A good signing. I hope he works out for you. I like his story already. Just don't let him score against us

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Well it hasn't paid off yet. Who knows how he plays on a smaller ice surface, and against the best players in the world.
Of course that remains to be seen but I was talking about the scouting and signing business. Clearly the Flames organization outperformed the other NHL organizations in this case. I'm not sure if this would have been the case 2-3 years ago.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
Of course that remains to be seen but I was talking about the scouting and signing business. Clearly the Flames organization outperformed the other NHL organizations in this case. I'm not sure if this would have been the case 2-3 years ago.
I have a feeling that the area that the Flames outperformed other teams was telling him they could realistically slot him solidly into a top six role so he can showcase himself to the rest of the NHL for a year.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
This when you look at the Flyers board, the common thing you'll see is Flyers fans saying his locker room presence is the biggest asset he brought to the team, expecially very good ifluence on the young players. What more could rebuilding team ask for? Personally I think if he won the Cup this year with the Flyers, the chance of coming to play with Cervenka would become higher than it is now.
Agreed, Jagr has always taken a bum rap because he made big money and was at times inconsistent in his younger days. The guy was never a locker room distraction. He has won the cup twice, olympic gold and a ridiculous number of individual trophies. If he'd stayed in North America he'd likely be second all-time in points right now. He makes teammates and linemates better everywhere he goes.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I love this signing, we get speed and talent and gives us an alternative to Jokinen. I don't care about the cap hit we have tons of space and it is only 1 year. If he is a bust o well its only a million dollars lost if he has success we get a free top 6 player.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I love this signing, we get speed and talent and gives us an alternative to Jokinen. I don't care about the cap hit we have tons of space and it is only 1 year. If he is a bust o well its only a million dollars lost if he has success we get a free top 6 player.
Agreed, plus he fits in that "prime" age group that generally has career type years from 25-29.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thats very possible.

Quote:
I do get where Warrener is coming from but I don't think it will end up being an issue at all. If Cervenka can come in a produce, he will be welcomed very quickly. If he does not, he could end up on the Heat. The best players will play, but he will get the opportunity to play in the top 6.

I commend Feaster, he said they need to go off the board to find these guys and that they have. I'm really happy with the job Feaster and Co. have done thus far. I think Conroy and Weisbrod have been great additions to management. They have brought in from fresh blood and ways of doing things. Weisbrod also comes from a winning background in Boston, I like where we are heading. Hopefully this kid comes here and does well, I would be happy as hell with him getting close to 60 points!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
The best part of this signing for me is the fact Feaster isn't afraid to take a risk to improve this team. If Sutter was still in charge we wouldn't have signed Cervenka we would have resigned Jokinen to a 5 year deal because he is "proven". I am a big fan of Feaster and this is just another reason for me.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:12 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
I have a feeling that the area that the Flames outperformed other teams was telling him they could realistically slot him solidly into a top six role so he can showcase himself to the rest of the NHL for a year.
There are other teams that im sure offered him the same, teams like Toronto. Cervenka said he liked the aggressiveness, and how they made it clear they wanted him from day one.. So I would say they surpassed many organizations, not to mention Feaster said Roman had done his research for awhile, so he must have heard some good things about Calgary as well..

Old
05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
zorz

just in case somebody here wanted to make some more research on him, you should be probably able to find some more vids of him by typing Роман Червенка into youtube. (Russian spelling)

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
gilligansoff

http://youtu.be/c4bNbRbaj5c

gilligansoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Body Checker

My take - great signing. Huge kudos on their aggressiveness to get this guy. If he busts really it will be a big deal only for next year anyways but I don't think he busts.

2nd place for Richards, went hard for top NCAA free agents, did sign two NCAA players, drafted small skilled players last 2 drafts, bringing in a new coach...........this is not your Daryl Sutter Flames anymore!

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:06 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Low risk, high reward. Hopefully it works out. I like Duhatschek's framing of the signing, and other potential off season moves. Hopefully the first of many good moves to come.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:40 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
easy big guy

Jagr is a UFA. Did you call Wideman to CBJ last year?

Not saying put it in the bank, just saying it's a thread on which to give it a shot

I'm glad Feaster isn't as defeatist as you all are
I gave you a smiley face, just egging you

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

Hey guys, just was wondering if anyone had any info on my question about Cervenka. I have season tickets for next year, so I was pretty stoked to hear about this signing and read up on this guy. Excited to see what the additions of him and Sven will do to the club

Anyways, I was just wondering what his contract situation is

After his 1 year is over, what is his status as a FA. Based on his age/first year in the league, etc., at season/contract end, is he an UFA or RFA?

Just curious if he can play a lights out year, then just leave for the free agaency market at seasons end?

Cheers

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote