HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has The Goat Czar Spoken?

Old
05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Has The Goat Czar Spoken?

Has Pierre Gauthier spoken to any media in any capacity since he was fired? Has there been any mention of his whereabouts?

I really, really hope he writes a book one day so we can have the inside look at his demented tenure.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Not that I know of. He's hiding in vermont, I guess.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:22 PM
thegreaterikku

They really should have done a 24/7 with Montreal this year... that would have been interesting.

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

The guy is just so anti-social, hates the media, isn't a leader, IMO he can't be more than an ast GM, or possible a President of a team in the sense that he isn't the face of the team like a GM should be. He not might be a great hockey guy, but I think he is smarter than some ppl make him seem, the guy has been around the NHL for a long time, I believe I read that he was one of the Quebec scouts that was pushing for Peter Forsberg in the Lindros trade.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Has Pierre Gauthier spoken to any media in any capacity since he was fired? Has there been any mention of his whereabouts?

I really, really hope he writes a book one day so we can have the inside look at his demented tenure.
Real GMs are a lot more respectful than some brave fans sitting safely behind a keyboard.

The new GM went out of his way yesterday to say that there were some very good pieces in place. Well, that is a testament to the old GM(s) not being totally demented, no?

Grow up, some of you!

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
The guy is just so anti-social, hates the media, isn't a leader, IMO he can't be more than an ast GM, or possible a President of a team in the sense that he isn't the face of the team like a GM should be. He not might be a great hockey guy, but I think he is smarter than some ppl make him seem, the guy has been around the NHL for a long time, I believe I read that he was one of the Quebec scouts that was pushing for Peter Forsberg in the Lindros trade.
jean perron has been around the NHL for a long time as well... nuff said.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterikku View Post
They really should have done a 24/7 with Montreal this year... that would have been interesting.
Would have been a ratings boom.

Quote:
The guy is just so anti-social, hates the media, isn't a leader, IMO he can't be more than an ast GM, or possible a President of a team in the sense that he isn't the face of the team like a GM should be. He not might be a great hockey guy, but I think he is smarter than some ppl make him seem, the guy has been around the NHL for a long time, I believe I read that he was one of the Quebec scouts that was pushing for Peter Forsberg in the Lindros trade,
I pity the organization that has the gall to take him on in any meaningful role again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Real GMs are a lot more respectful than some brave fans sitting safely behind a keyboard.

The new GM went out of his way yesterday to say that there were some very good pieces in place. Well, that is a testament to the old GM(s) not being totally demented, no?

Grow up, some of you!
Oh spare me.

Gauthier disgraced this organization in every conceivable way this season. By all accounts, he's a megalomaniac control-freak who just happened to "respectfully" trade a player mid-game, lie to his fanbase repeatedly, scapegoat the assitant coach a few games into the season, refuse to tell players where they were dealt, and, best of all, apologize to his fanbase for hiring a new coach.

And you have the actual nerve to chastize me for disdaing him.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Would have been a ratings boom.

I pity the organization that has the gall to take him on in any meaningful role again.

Oh spare me.

Gauthier disgraced this organization in every conceivable way this season. By all accounts, he's a megalomaniac control-freak who just happened to "respectfully" trade a player mid-game, lie to his fanbase repeatedly, scapegoat the assitant coach a few games into the season, refuse to tell players where they were dealt, and, best of all, apologize to his fanbase for hiring a new coach.

Ok I agree with all that, but that doesn't make him an idiot in regards to hockey knowledge. Again I'm not saying he is great, but just that he isn't as bad as some ppl make him seem in regards to hockey, ex ppl bashing him because he scouts Gomez, but he also scouted, Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik etc.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
jean perron has been around the NHL for a long time as well... nuff said.
I believe Jean Perron worked for 4-5 years in the NHL as a coach, that was it.

Gauthier started as a scout in 1981, and I believe was head scout of Quebec from 87-to 91 or somthing, 93-95 was Ast GM of the Ducks, 95 to 97 GM of the Sens, 97 to 2002 President and GM of the Ducks, 2003 to 2012 with the Habs....

From 1981 to 2012, that 32 years in hockey, with not more than a year in between jobs. clearly shows that he has some hockey knowledge, but it also shows that he is not a leader, seeing how in those 32 years, he has never won a cup.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

He's playing piano with Bob Gainey.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Ok I agree with all that, but that doesn't make him an idiot in regards to hockey knowledge. Again I'm not saying he is great, but just that he isn't as bad as some ppl make him seem in regards to hockey, ex ppl bashing him because he scouts Gomez, but he also scouted, Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik etc.

And to Miller Time: I believe Jean Perron worked for 4-5 years in the NHL as a coach, that was it.

Gauthier started as a scout in 1981, and I believe was head scout of Quebec from 87-to 91 or somthing, 93-95 was Ast GM of the Ducks, 95 to 97 GM of the Sens, 97 to 2002 President and GM of the Ducks, 2003 to 2012 with the Habs....
Gauthier has a very long and mostly succesful resumé... But was not made to be GM in Montreal. The guy - even if he is born in Quebec and speaks French- was totally disconnected with the Montreal and Quebec markets... When you prefer to have your main residence in Vermont than in your team's hometown, it must mean something !

Bergevin's wife and children are Americans and they gonna move in Montreal anyway.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

He is busy changing gaineys diapers still.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gauthier has a very long and mostly succesful resumé.
Any tangible proof of this?

Old
05-03-2012, 02:54 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Any tangible proof of this?
From what I've read, the strong Avs teams in mid-late 90's, were a core of PG, during his time there, they drafted, Sundin, Nolan, Sakic, Foote, I read that he wanted Forsberg in he Lindros trade.

And the Ducks team that went to finals vs the Devils, the year after PG left, and it was mainly made up of players he brought in.

Again showing that he doesn't have what it takes to build a true winner, but he is no Houle.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Oh spare me.

By all accounts? Interesting how that tends to be an expression that doesn't really mean, well, anything. What accounts are these?

A lot of what transpired seems peculiar, certainly. Perhaps even inexplicable. That doesn't change that we're largely getting one side of the story, from a media that we (on this forum) frequently chastise for being unprofessional. Further, this media has numerous reasons to present a biased account of Gauthier: he made their lives difficult.

I don't believe that Gauthier's as miserable as you and others have tried to claim. It's too one-sided, and such miserable incompetent individuals aren't GMs of three franchises with many connections and loyal friends in the NHL.

Frankly, your hostility seems ill-conceived.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

When I think of his tenure, in hindsight:

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
From what I've read, the strong Avs teams in mid-late 90's, were a core of PG, during his time there, they drafted, Sundin, Nolan, Sakic, Foote, I read that he wanted Forsberg in he Lindros trade.

And the Ducks team that went to finals vs the Devils, the year after PG left, and it was mainly made up of players he brought in.

Again showing that he doesn't have what it takes to build a true winner, but he is no Houle.
That's like saying Edmonton's front office is a group of geniuses for drafting all these young talented 1st overalls!

As for the Ducks, meh. According to his position, he didn't have much say in their 03 domination. And the Cup winning team was mostly Burke's doing.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Forsberg was a no-brainer in that deal as he was the consensus top player in the world outside of the NHL.........he was hardly a secret.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
KFlint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
[/B]

Forsberg was a no-brainer in that deal as he was the consensus top player in the world outside of the NHL.........he was hardly a secret.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense...Lindros was the consensus top player.

KFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
That's like saying Edmonton's front office is a group of geniuses for drafting all these young talented 1st overalls!

As for the Ducks, meh. According to his position, he didn't have much say in their 03 domination. And the Cup winning team was mostly Burke's doing.
Stop discrediting the guy for no reason. He clearly wasn't a leader or a successful GM but there is a lot to his name. This is the reason why the Montreal fanbase is called obsessive and bi-polar, it's always black or white with you people.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Belso

Not surprised he's been nowhere in sight since he was canned. He knows everyone hates his guts.. Why would anyone purposely stand there and have tomatoes thrown at you???

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
MXD

The guy was intelligent, no doubt about it.

Main problem? Should never, ever have been a GM, or, more actually, never, ever have been in position where he has to delegate something.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The guy was intelligent, no doubt about it.

Main problem? Should never, ever have been a GM, or, more actually, never, ever have been in position where he has to delegate something.
I doubt. Sorry. He might have had some strengths in some departments and somehow made some good contacts along the way, but if had was that intelligent, he wouldn't have been such a bad GM.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Stop discrediting the guy for no reason. He clearly wasn't a leader or a successful GM but there is a lot to his name. This is the reason why the Montreal fanbase is called obsessive and bi-polar, it's always black or white with you people.

Exactly. That's why we hab fans have such a brutal rep. Pretty hard to find a fanbase that has more arrogant and uneducated fans than mtl. We should be the class of the league but that's not the reality of it. So so many actually think they know more about the game than pg. Lol. Sure.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Kjell Dahlin

I am glad that Gauthier is gone (poorly built D squad, Cunneyworth's nomination, lack of organisational fluidity...) but contrary to the majority of posters in here I think he completed more good moves (Cole, Eller, Emelin, Bournival...) than bad one.

Gauthier > Gainey... but that does not mean he was good!

To answer the OP, I have not read or heard anything from Gauthier since his departure... and frankly that's perfectly in sync with his personality.

Edit: lol at The Goat Czar! Good one.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 05-03-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote