HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-Game Meal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
  #1
TrueBostonian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dean College
Country: United States
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Pre-Game Meal

Does anyone have any sort of pregame meal that they eat each time before a game? I've been trying to find the right food to eat but I'm not sure if it's right. I tend to eat pasta and tomato sauce.

TrueBostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
  #2
donkers*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
When I was playing competitively it'd be a meatball sub from Subway. Now in beer leagues I eat a burrito and drink a couple beers while getting dressed.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
  #3
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Pasta is good, a little grilled chicken is also a good idea.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
  #4
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
For me I try to stay away from anything spicy. I also tend to steer clear of anything with garlic or onions in it. I don't like to be out there burping that **** up.

I think the most important thing for me is timing. I like to play on a relatively empty stomach. For instance I have a game tonight at 8:30. I'll eat a good sized lunch in about 15 minutes and that will be it until the game. I might have something small, and again mild, when I get home from work, but nothing big. I really feel like crap if I eat too much before a game.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:49 PM
  #5
Thepandamancan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Pasta and some chicken is my go to. 3-5 hours before.

Lately I've been drinking protein shakes 1-2 hours before the game since I get kinda hungry before, but don't want to eat anything heavy. I've noticed a slight energy spike...but that could just be a placebo affect since I've been told that's the benefit of drinking it.

You could also do a PB&J sandwich. There's nothing like being an adult and pulling out an uncrustables from your hockey bag. The food...not the disgusting mold that grows in our bags.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:27 PM
  #6
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Pasta and some chicken is my go to. 3-5 hours before.

Lately I've been drinking protein shakes 1-2 hours before the game since I get kinda hungry before, but don't want to eat anything heavy. I've noticed a slight energy spike...but that could just be a placebo affect since I've been told that's the benefit of drinking it.

You could also do a PB&J sandwich. There's nothing like being an adult and pulling out an uncrustables from your hockey bag. The food...not the disgusting mold that grows in our bags.
A guy on my team does PB&Js every week and he has pulled out an uncrustable before. Hilarious!

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:17 PM
  #7
CunniJA
Registered User
 
CunniJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Estes Park, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Spaghetti and Clam Sauce the night before. Bowl of Crispix and a banana-pineapple blaster 3 hours prior to gametime. Nothing until then (I hate sports with anything in my belly).

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
  #8
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,842
vCash: 500
I try to stay away from fatty foods and alcohol on game days. I don't eat a big meal within a few hours of game time. That's about it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
  #9
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,217
vCash: 500
Doesn't matter to me as long as it's a lot of it. I generally eat a strict bodybuilding style diet, consisting of 40% of my calories coming from carbs and protein each, and 20% from fat sources.

On game days I usually stray from that and just load up on carbs until 4-6 hours prior to gametime. After my games I try to stick to protein & fat sources and no carbs and it's in lesser quantity. It's not out of the ordinary for me to eat a couple "light" meals in the morning and then have a 14" pizza 4-6 hours prior to gametime, either.

Calories split up evenly throughout the day or loaded all at once like w/the pizza, for me, doesn't tend to make a difference in regards to being ready to play hockey. If i feel like demolishing a pizza, I go for it. If not, I stick w/my typical lifting plan and cleaner foods, How much you need depends on yourself individually. When I was younger, I'd wake up and if anything would only have an Egg McMuffin or something before I pulled into the rink. Granted I was a teen and didn't lift at all (scrawny), but still, it varies. Try one thing and try another. Make notes and continue to see what is best for you.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
  #10
7toZulu
Registered User
 
7toZulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Doesn't matter to me as long as it's a lot of it. I generally eat a strict bodybuilding style diet, consisting of 40% of my calories coming from carbs and protein each, and 20% from fat sources.

On game days I usually stray from that and just load up on carbs until 4-6 hours prior to gametime. After my games I try to stick to protein & fat sources and no carbs and it's in lesser quantity. It's not out of the ordinary for me to eat a couple "light" meals in the morning and then have a 14" pizza 4-6 hours prior to gametime, either.

Calories split up evenly throughout the day or loaded all at once like w/the pizza, for me, doesn't tend to make a difference in regards to being ready to play hockey. If i feel like demolishing a pizza, I go for it. If not, I stick w/my typical lifting plan and cleaner foods, How much you need depends on yourself individually. When I was younger, I'd wake up and if anything would only have an Egg McMuffin or something before I pulled into the rink. Granted I was a teen and didn't lift at all (scrawny), but still, it varies. Try one thing and try another. Make notes and continue to see what is best for you.
I've done that a couple times and it makes me feel like **** at 6am drop in. Nothing like skating around and having Mcdonald burps left and right

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:58 PM
  #11
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post
I've done that a couple times and it makes me feel like **** at 6am drop in. Nothing like skating around and having Mcdonald burps left and right
Never bothered me, but I have an iron stomach. I could probably tear through 5 plates at a Chinese buffet and go skating right afterward even today.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
  #12
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 23,598
vCash: 50
It's kind of stupid, but I used to eat a PB&J before games.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
  #13
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,335
vCash: 648
If I dont have time to make dinner before a game, my new go to pre game meal is the Trader Joes frozen brown rice and I poach a few eggs and put them on top of it.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
  #14
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's kind of stupid, but I used to eat a PB&J before games.
I wouldn't call it stupid seeing as it's a common pre game "meal", just ask Crosby lol

I'm very generic with Pasta as a pre game meal. I use ranch sauce and bacon bits so my taste buds don't get pissed.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:10 AM
  #15
Thepandamancan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
PB&J or PB and honey is the perfect pre-game snack. The whole meal offers enough protein and carbs to sustain you for the game.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:12 AM
  #16
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,538
vCash: 500
A big ole plate of Indian... not a good choice. Curry flavour kept crawling up the back of my throat everytime I stepped on the ice.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:37 AM
  #17
Saucy Dangles
Registered User
 
Saucy Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Usually load up on on some Chicken Tortellini with Pesto (no cheese, cheese is terrible for you before games) 3-4 hours before warm ups, then about 1 hour to game time I munch on a Peanut Butter Power Bar. Good Carbs with Lean protein is what your looking for. I also like to take a Good Multi Vitamin with my main meal (usually GNC Mega Man Sport as it has a tad of caffeine for some perk) something that has a good percentage of Iron and B12 for energy as well as helps the metabolism.

After the game is done, Its essential to replenish the body too (allot of people dont, but its actually good to within an hour or 2 max) so I like to eat a small serving of whatever was left over (usually it will be pasta) and then I try not to go straight to relaxing (or bed if it was a late night).

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
  #18
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Dangles View Post
Usually load up on on some Chicken Tortellini with Pesto (no cheese, cheese is terrible for you before games) 3-4 hours before warm ups, then about 1 hour to game time I munch on a Peanut Butter Power Bar. Good Carbs with Lean protein is what your looking for. I also like to take a Good Multi Vitamin with my main meal (usually GNC Mega Man Sport as it has a tad of caffeine for some perk) something that has a good percentage of Iron and B12 for energy as well as helps the metabolism.

After the game is done, Its essential to replenish the body too (allot of people dont, but its actually good to within an hour or 2 max) so I like to eat a small serving of whatever was left over (usually it will be pasta) and then I try not to go straight to relaxing (or bed if it was a late night).
You should probably move that protein bar to after the game.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:51 AM
  #19
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,842
vCash: 500
See I don't do the pre-game for energy. Energy is long term. It depends on your diet over a period of days, weeks. Sleep too. And avoiding things that throw your body out of whack, like alcohol or anything that throws off your digestion.

Your "fuel" should be glycogen stores in the muscles and liver. Unless you're playing for 3+ hours multiple days in a row, you shouldn't really need to carb load.

Too much food, and you feel too full, which can make some people sick to their stomach, distract other people, or slow you down as the body diverts energy to digestion.

Too little food can make you feel hungry, which can be a distraction. If you're getting lightheaded or feeling weak during games, something's off with your diet, not short-term, long-term.

After the game, a meal with some protein and carbs is all you need. I don't think it's crucial for "recovery" aside from just eating a good bit of food, preferably real food, until you're not hungry anymore. Unless you're playing and practicing and working out daily, in which case you'll probably need a lot more specialized advice than what you're getting on an internet forum.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
  #20
dpixel8
Registered User
 
dpixel8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wisconsin (MSN/MKE)
Country: United States
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
peanut butter sandwich and some water with a small protein shake. Maybe a hard-boiled egg or two if the wife has any made. Nothing spicy or rich as otherwise I feel like I'm dragging around my 8-month old in my stomach while skating.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
  #21
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
I usually bake some boneless/skinless chicken tenderloins with some italian dress,garlic power and onion salt mixed with a baked potato and pasta or some sort of salad.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
  #22
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
As long as I don't have coffee the day of the game, I'm good to go.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:35 PM
  #23
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 372
vCash: 500
make sure you digest your meal before the game. otherwise your gonna be sleepy. eat your meal like 3-4 hours before the game!!!

take some energy whatever right before! get amped!

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
  #24
Saucy Dangles
Registered User
 
Saucy Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
You should probably move that protein bar to after the game.
Eh, if you look @ the physical contents of a Power Bar, its mostly Carbs (2:1 ratio of Glucose to fructose) and is really designed for a quick energy. It also has roughly 200-250mg of sodium which is a key electrolyte we loose in sweat which is notorious for muscle cramping and early lactic acid setting in. Plus a little protein (good protein) right before game time is good for the body (anywhere from 7-10 grams) I eat it an hour before game time (pending on how I'm feeling full wise, half or whole thing), so that by the time the 3rd period hits its starting to give me that extra bit of energy I need to really push myself for the last 20 min of a game. Now granted I am a carb hound and skate roughly 8-12 hours a week so my daily calorie intake is far higher then the avg person.


Last edited by Saucy Dangles: 05-04-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
  #25
Ambrose
Registered User
 
Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
I'm no Hockey player, but Oats+ a banana is great before my workouts.

Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.