HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stu Bickel

Old
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Staal, Girardi and McDonagh are all legit shut down guys who can eat up minutes.

Have to ask Torts why he dresses Bickel instead of Eminger. Bickel has not been getting much ice time throughout the playoffs so I don't see last night's ice time as a big issue.

Here are his times on ice:

Ottawa
1. 6.42
2. 3.40
3. 9.18
4. 3.33
5. 4.59
6. 1.59
7. 3.46

Washington
1. 5.31
2. 3.07
3. 3.24

Torts obviously thinks he can lean on guys like Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto--going to play them a lot. Staal and McD had more minutes last night than Bickel has accumulated the entire playoffs playing every game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Could've definitely 6taken some shifts throughout all 3 OT's. Even at forward. Feel bad for him, can't question Torts though. Got the W.
"
I'm sure he's still a bit flabbergasted to be in the NHL, playoffs especially. Wonder if he really thought he'd make it to this point. So there's low men on every totem pole, and do you really want Bickel on in OT when Backstrom is bearing down? NO, you want McDonagh, Staal or Girardi. That simple.

He and his his 600K are a step closer to the ECSF, most of us bust our ***** all day at $30-50K jobs we won't retire from.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Staal, Girardi and McDonagh are all legit shut down guys who can eat up minutes.

Have to ask Torts why he dresses Bickel instead of Eminger. Bickel has not been getting much ice time throughout the playoffs so I don't see last night's ice time as a big issue.

Here are his times on ice:

Ottawa
1. 6.42
2. 3.40
3. 9.18
4. 3.33
5. 4.59
6. 1.59
7. 3.46

Washington
1. 5.31
2. 3.07
3. 3.24

Torts obviously thinks he can lean on guys like Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto--going to play them a lot. Staal and McD had more minutes last night than Bickel has accumulated the entire playoffs playing every game.
Because even in that limited time, he provides more of an element of the game than Eminger can provide.

If anything, the people saying that Torts doesn't trust Bickel have it wrong. By the looks of it, he trusts Bickel more than Eminger or Woywitka because Stu is the guy that continues to dress every night, regardless of the limited TOI.

Bickel is making rookie mistakes at the most inopportune times, but he is a better defenceman than the other two options.

That said, I do think I would sit him for game 4.

Also, I don't think he was silking on the bench, I think the picture that was taken was done so at the perfect time to make it look like he was sad.

I have no doubt in my mind that he was watching, learning and taking in the experience and growing from the mistakes he has made the lfew games.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The larger issue to me is if Torts doesn't trust a guy to play more than 3+ mins in a triple overtime game, whys he in the lineup in the first place?
I honestly don't think it's as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

Think about what we have on d. We have 4 players that the coaching staff has enough confidence in to give 25 mins per night. Stralman takes up another 15 or so and what your left over with is really not much.

It's not so much a Bickel issue as it is the coaching staff not wanting to lose because of inferior d-men's mistakes while you have your horses sitting on the bench.

Someone made the connection of Bickel being equiv to a 5th starter in mlb playoffs. I agree with that. He's basically there in the unlikely occurance that we blow the other team out or get blown out ourselves.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
But can you remember a single instance of one of the 5 dmen looking fatigued or out of position later in the game?
I thought everyone looked "fatigued" compared to the pace of the game through the first 4 periods. Just saying that a minor mishandling of the puck or an errant pass that leads to a turnover would, in theory, would be more likely to happen when you've been on the ice for 40 minutes. Nothing egregious.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Because even in that limited time, he provides more of an element of the game than Eminger can provide.

If anything, the people saying that Torts doesn't trust Bickel have it wrong. By the looks of it, he trusts Bickel more than Eminger or Woywitka because Stu is the guy that continues to dress every night, regardless of the limited TOI.

Bickel is making rookie mistakes at the most inopportune times, but he is a better defenceman than the other two options.

That said, I do think I would sit him for game 4.

Also, I don't think he was silking on the bench, I think the picture that was taken was done so at the perfect time to make it look like he was sad.

I have no doubt in my mind that he was watching, learning and taking in the experience and growing from the mistakes he has made the lfew games.

I can think of at least a couple reasons--1) Eminger has been out so long he's not in game shape. 2) Bickel can be a deterrent if things get ugly.

I would imagine Bickel is not all that happy about his ice time--but better dressed than not dressed--when we're talking about the potential of being on a championship team there's no reason for him to not be motivated--not that I'm suggesting he's not or like another poster that he's sulking--don't think Torts would care for that and I don't think we can assume that just because of some photo of him sitting on the bench.

He's had a good year--nothing to be ashamed of. Girardi, Staal, McDonagh are just horses that you can play the **** out of and it's not a surprise that Torts is playing the **** out of them. This shouldn't be about anything other than winning a championship. A small part--a large part--it doesn't matter as long as the team gets to where it wants to go.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I can think of at least a couple reasons--1) Eminger has been out so long he's not in game shape. 2) Bickel can be a deterrent if things get ugly.

I would imagine Bickel is not all that happy about his ice time--but better dressed than not dressed--when we're talking about the potential of being on a championship team there's no reason for him to not be motivated--not that I'm suggesting he's not or like another poster that he's sulking--don't think Torts would care for that and I don't think we can assume that just because of some photo of him sitting on the bench.

He's had a good year--nothing to be ashamed of. Girardi, Staal, McDonagh are just horses that you can play the **** out of and it's not a surprise that Torts is playing the **** out of them. This shouldn't be about anything other than winning a championship. A small part--a large part--it doesn't matter as long as the team gets to where it wants to go.
Which is what I love about Torts.

And why I believe Bickel has no problems with it.

The goal, the ONLY goal is to win a cup. There are no hurt feelings here. The coaches do what they need to do to put the team in the best possibly position to win. The players have accepted to a man that if they are not going to contribute to that end, then they do not play.

If asked, I bet that Bickel would point out the few mistakes he's made to warrant the benching and state that he has to be better.

This is not about sending a message. That is done durng the Reg. Season. This is about winning.

I love it.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
NYR Viper

I also feel part of the reason they went with mainly 5 d-men was because they knew they had (2) days rest before their next game.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Parker

Forever Alone...

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:27 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
But can you remember a single instance of one of the 5 dmen looking fatigued or out of position later in the game?
The PP we had in 3OT was gassed. There was so much room, you can truly see both teams couldn't anymore.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:28 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Stu Bickel interview from February, gives you a peak into what could be going through his head

The guy is a rookie, he's gonna be just fine. If he wants more ice time next year, he knows what he has to do

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
lbrowne

I'm glad I seen this piece from Torts.. (via Andrew Gross http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...morning_after/)

"You could actually see that Tortorella felt bad about it after the game. This is not about a coach disliking a player, because Tortorella has been Bickel’s biggest champion this season.

“We get in a situation when you ice Bic and you just know this is going to go on for a while,” Tortorella said. “It’s an awful tough situation to stick Bic into after he’s sitting for a while. So we just made the decision to stick with the five (defensemen).”

Not sure if I'm breaking rules or anything posting that...

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:52 PM
eco's bones

There are millions of wannabe hockey players of all kinds of levels who would love to be in his place.

He's a rookie. He's somewhat limited. He's made a case this year for himself as an NHL level defenseman. Who knows--he might even get his name on the Cup and bring it back to his hometown for a day. Things could be a lot worse.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The larger issue to me is if Torts doesn't trust a guy to play more than 3+ mins in a triple overtime game, whys he in the lineup in the first place?
Because there's no one else in the organization that the coaching staff trusts. Eminger is not in game shape--he's played in one game since 3/15 and that was as a forward. Woywitka is even more rusty--he's played in a total of one game since New Year's. It's Bickel or bust.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Nickmo82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Stu Bickel interview from February, gives you a peak into what could be going through his head

The guy is a rookie, he's gonna be just fine. If he wants more ice time next year, he knows what he has to do
a couple of times in the regular season he logged 20 minutes, so i think he's on the cusp of getting a more concrete place in the team. thing is pretty much every playoff game so far has been SO close... any little error could be the game...

Nickmo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I felt bad for Stu Pickles last night. Torts did what he had to, even though he probably felt bad about it.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
collegehockeyguy

i cannot imagine bickel sitting there thinking "wow.. what a great view i have of the game from this bench.. and on top of it i made 600K this year". im sure he hated sitting there.. i did feel for him when the announcers joked about it on the broadcast. "there wont be parents complaining tonight about ice time.. well.. other than stu bickels parents"

i get the idea of using a 5 defenseman rotation. but why play him at all then? what does 2 shifts in the first period and 1 in the second give you? id like to see him get more minutes. the rangers are going to burn out..

collegehockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Because there's no one else in the organization that the coaching staff trusts. Eminger is not in game shape--he's played in one game since 3/15 and that was as a forward. Woywitka is even more rusty--he's played in a total of one game since New Year's. It's Bickel or bust.
I would question how much they trust Bickel if he's playing 3:24.

I really thought they were going to add a vet dman leading up to the deadline.

05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
He definitely gives it his all; I think he's better suited for teams like Boston and Philly, though. I'm curious what Eminger could do in Bickel's place. They really need their #6 guy to play more than 3 minutes out of 120.
i have an idea scratch Mitchell and go with 7 d.. that cant hurt cant it. its not like Mitchell is doing anything

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I would question how much they trust Bickel if he's playing 3:24.

I really thought they were going to add a vet dman leading up to the deadline.
But, they didn't--for whatever reason. So we're stuck with Bickel. Most teams don't really play 6 defensemen anyway. And fortunately, the group playing over 25 minutes a night (most nights) is young.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:59 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i have an idea scratch Mitchell and go with 7 d.. that cant hurt cant it. its not like Mitchell is doing anything
If Mitchell doesn't make the play he does a minute before the goal, we may be more focused on how to come back from down 2-1 in the series...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

The amount of haters in this thread is funny. Oh he makes 600k a year I wont feel bad for him. Stop being jealous and try to put yourself into the guys shoes. He played hard all year for us, now you step on the man when he is down? You know he wants to contribute and wants to do well. Stop hating!

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

If i'm Bickel, i'll gladly sit on the bench for as long as Torts wants me to. If i can be on a possible Stanley Cup winning team and not have to play, why not? Lol you still get your name on the Cup no matter what so why complain?

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Play Eminger. Someone has to give Torts more than three minutes a game.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:24 AM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
The amount of haters in this thread is funny. Oh he makes 600k a year I wont feel bad for him. Stop being jealous and try to put yourself into the guys shoes. He played hard all year for us, now you step on the man when he is down? You know he wants to contribute and wants to do well. Stop hating!
Stop hating? What hating are you talking about?

I don't see any hate for Bickel in this thread. I do, however, see a realistic assessment of the situation from some of the more level-headed people in this forum re: Bickel's limitations and the role he is playing on this team.

At this point in the season, it is all about winning, not worrying about a 6th d-man's ice time. This isn't Pee Wee hockey, fer crissakes!

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote