HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The FAN 1200 - Pierre McGuire - 3rd overall vs J. Staal??

Old
05-03-2012, 02:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed ...no fken way

Jordan is an injury prone player

secondly and more important ....he is coddled by the 2 best centers in the world

no pressure to produce , he is great defender but seriously folks

the pressure will be on him to carry us and he isnt that player

solid complimentary player , not a front liner

draft Forsberg and move on
And forsberg is a franchise player for sure?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think it's as much growth as being used as a #2 center this year with Crosby missing 60 games and Malkin missing 7. He played 20 minutes a night and got to play on a high skilled PP. In 10-11 Crosby missed 41 games and malkin 39 so he again played 21 minutes a night. He hasn't been used as a #3 since 09-10.

Stick him on Nashville next year as a #2 or #1 and his PPGM may actually drop

Eller on the other hand barely got on the PP and only got an average of a bit more than 15 minutes a game in part because Gomez was around getting 14 minutes.
So what's the argument? He played 20 min a game and produced 0.81 ppg.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
Did anyone else just heard what Pierre McGuire just said on The FAN 1200?

3rd overall vs Jordan Staal
Now I know why McGuire never got to the second interview for GM job. The guy is a tool...Staal can walk in a year and even if he could sign Staal he is not enough of upgrade over Plekanec to warrant giving up the 3rd overall pick for

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Now I know why McGuire never got to the second interview for GM job. The guy is a tool...Staal can walk in a year and even if he could sign Staal he is not enough of upgrade over Plekanec to warrant giving up the 3rd overall pick for
Who do you expect with 3rd overall? We can get the next bust just as easily.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Yes it is. Bigger, younger, better goal scorer...
+
You can trade Plekanec for a much needed top-two line winger.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
NewHabsEra*

Im somewhat worried that McGuire apparently finished second in the process of the new GM.. It really would have been the worst day in Habs history IMO..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Habs need a winger more than centre... I would trade the 3rd for a young winger of Staal quality, to play with Plekanec & Gionta.

I like Jordan Staal A LOT, but the Habs have a decent setup in the top 6 right now. DD fits like a glove with his two wingers, and while Plekanec is had a bad year, I think he can do better (and I am not even a big fan of Plekanec) with Gionta back and another proper winger, that's a solid 2 way line since both Plekanec and Gionta are very solid & fast defensive players.

So if you get Staal, who is probably just a marginal upgrade to DD/Plek, and then you have to trade them or Eller, for much less, what's the point? Habs also have a shot at a UFA winger who can fill that LW hole beside Plek, Parise or Semin perhaps?

So better to wait until after July 1st, try and land a UFA, if not possible then maybe after that you can consider trading Grigerencho/Forsberg/whoever for a young winger anyways. Why rush it before July 1st?

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Yes he is a huge tool, wanting an established hockey

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So what's the argument? He played 20 min a game and produced 0.81 ppg.
0.8 PPGM is solid but those are not all-star numbers. People talk like he is a #3 putting up those numbers when he's had a ton of ice time the last 2 years(20 and 21 minutes).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Habruti!

I am not convinced the pens would even consider moving Stall, since there is really no certainty with the long term Health of Crosby.

Now if they where i would try the following ... Plekaneks and 3rd overall for stall and pens 1st rnd selection in 2012, with a conditional first round selection in 2014 if Stall signs elsewhere...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
0.8 PPGM is solid but those are not all-star numbers. People talk like he is a #3 putting up those numbers when he's had a ton of ice time the last 2 years(20 and 21 minutes).
I don't expect him to be an all-star personally. I'd be happy if he's a #1B. From the reports of the other centers, they may end up #2s or lazy #1s. So...Staal is a clear upgrade, size, skill, and a winner. I think a Plek/Staal combo is two #1B guys and with support from DD/Eller we'd have a solid mix.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
RC51

look everyone.
the best deal in hockey is when you draft a great player who during his first rookie contract at 1.2 mil per year scores you 40-50 goals per year.
Stall has already ended his " good deal years".
only 1 more year at 4 mil and he is free again to sign for 5-6 mil.

No way I do this.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
He doesn't play with 1st line wingers either. The guy plays with Matt Cooke and Tyler Kennedy and still managed to put up 50pts in 60 games

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't expect him to be an all-star personally. I'd be happy if he's a #1B. From the reports of the other centers, they may end up #2s or lazy #1s. So...Staal is a clear upgrade, size, skill, and a winner. I think a Plek/Staal combo is two #1B guys and with support from DD/Eller we'd have a solid mix.
He costs us one of our best assets while not really giving us what we need. I see it as a very poor fit. Center is actually our strongest position after goalie. If we are to spend a huge asset like the #1 pick I want a high end winger who can score 30(Ryan) or a #2 d-man that brings size and can eat minutes(Myers Seabrook).

Old
05-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Im somewhat worried that McGuire apparently finished second in the process of the new GM.. It really would have been the worst day in Habs history IMO..
Makes you wonder if teams aren't using McGuire as some type of media ploy...not saying it's the case, but makes you wonder.

Also, i'm not sure it matters who 'finishes 2nd' in this type of process...

While I know it can be lip service, but both Savard and Molson confirmed that they identified Bergevin as their guy very early in the process.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Staal is a young, proven, big, playoff tested centre who can score and I believe is decent at faceoffs.

I'd do the 3rd overall for him.

Pittsburgh fans on the other hand would want 3rd, Pacs, Tinordi, Beaulieu, our 1st next year and a date with Megan Fox for each of their fans because they're delusional beyond Beethoven at the end of his life...

I like Pleks and what he brings. Though, you can then trade Pleks to the ducks for their first, probably... Maybe.

It's hard to tell. On hfboards your pieces are either worth the sky, or worth less than nothing.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I am not convinced the pens would even consider moving Stall, since there is really no certainty with the long term Health of Crosby.

Now if they where i would try the following ... Plekaneks and 3rd overall for stall and pens 1st rnd selection in 2012, with a conditional first round selection in 2014 if Stall signs elsewhere...
There is some talk he may ask for a trade or already has with the threat of him not resigning next year. He doesn't want to be a 3rd line center he wants to be a #1 or 2

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Staal is a young, proven, big, playoff tested centre who can score and I believe is decent at faceoffs.

I'd do the 3rd overall for him.

Pittsburgh fans on the other hand would want 3rd, Pacs, Tinordi, Beaulieu, our 1st next year and a date with Megan Fox for each of their fans because they're delusional beyond Beethoven at the end of his life...

I like Pleks and what he brings. Though, you can then trade Pleks to the ducks for their first, probably... Maybe.

It's hard to tell. On hfboards your pieces are either worth the sky, or worth less than nothing.
...and then what do you do when he wants the moon or will become a UFA?

I hate using 2 of our best assets on a guy with 1 year left on his contract. If he agrees to sign for 5 years 25 mil or 6 years 30 mil, go ahead but I dobt he comes that cheap.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I'd be more into trading down with the Caps for their two 1st rounders. Who knows, maybe they're in love with someone in the 3 spot. As far us, we need to start building up our talent pool. It seems to be a bit of crap-shoot anyways after Yakupov. This seems like a perfect opportunity to double up, maybe draft a big center like Gaunce along with one of the many talented D available.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
wedge

that's probably what McGuire suggested in the interviews which made him lose the job.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If Staal is signed to an extension then I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
HabsSlappy

I would rather take a chance on a homerun at 3rd overall, which will help build a younger core. I know Staal is still young but we need a young stud.

If you really think we need Staal then I think you see if Pittsburgh is interested in a deal centered around Plekanec and Staal. Add or subtract from either side if you wish.

I don't see Pittsburgh wanting Pleks over Staal, but you never know. At least that would make our team younger and add another piece to the core.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I'd be more into trading down with the Caps for their two 1st rounders. Who knows, maybe they're in love with someone in the 3 spot. As far us, we need to start building up our talent pool. It seems to be a bit of crap-shoot anyways after Yakupov. This seems like a perfect opportunity to double up, maybe draft a big center like Gaunce along with one of the many talented D available.
If you trade out of the top 6, the guys you can draft are the type of guys we have a lot of in our system. Plus with the draft being what it is we may get a player almost as good at #33 than we could at 16-20.

The weakness in the draft is after the top 15 it seems to drop to 2nd round quality and stays there up to 45-50.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
gusfring

I would do this deal. Staal is a proven commodity - and I think he is going into his prime years.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I would rather take a chance on a homerun at 3rd overall, which will help build a younger core. I know Staal is still young but we need a young stud.

If you really think we need Staal then I think you see if Pittsburgh is interested in a deal centered around Plekanec and Staal. Add or subtract from either side if you wish.

I don't see Pittsburgh wanting Pleks over Staal, but you never know. At least that would make our team younger and add another piece to the core.
Even Plekanec straight up for Staal makes little sense unless you can get Staal signed at a reasonable cap number. Even worse he could ask for the moon and then walk as a UFA.

I don't see any reason to touch our top 3 centers unless a deal comes along that's really to our advantage.