HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2 on 1's this year

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
2 on 1's this year

It seems to me that the bulk of the 2v1's I've seen this season have resulted in the guy taking the shot without trying to make the pass. I realize defensemen are better in general than they were years ago, but I'm thinking the new trend in one piece sticks is the main culprit. Wouldn't be a problem normally, but I figure around 80% of the 2v1's I've seen have resulted in the puckcarrier taking the shot and not passing. And out of that 80%, I'd venture a guess that maybe 10-15% of those shots actually result in goals.

Am I the only noticing this? Maybe it's the games I choose to watch, but it's rather disturbing to watch so many guys take the selfish route. A shot's better than forcing a pass that will never get through, but all too often I see a guy just bury his head and take the shot without giving any thought to trying a pass.

Just an observation based on the games I've seen so far this year.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
It seems to me that the bulk of the 2v1's I've seen this season have resulted in the guy taking the shot without trying to make the pass. I realize defensemen are better in general than they were years ago, but I'm thinking the new trend in one piece sticks is the main culprit. Wouldn't be a problem normally, but I figure around 80% of the 2v1's I've seen have resulted in the puckcarrier taking the shot and not passing. And out of that 80%, I'd venture a guess that maybe 10-15% of those shots actually result in goals.

Am I the only noticing this? Maybe it's the games I choose to watch, but it's rather disturbing to watch so many guys take the selfish route. A shot's better than forcing a pass that will never get through, but all too often I see a guy just bury his head and take the shot without giving any thought to trying a pass.

i've noticed just the opposite, at least for nashville. we get a lot of 2 on 1's, especially shorthanded, and the goalies seem to ANTICIPATE pass, but we still do it. there have been times i wished that a shot had been taken instead

Old
11-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Teemu

likewise for chicago. We're a pass-first orginzation, which costs us about 50 goals a year :p

Old
11-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Ticallion961

Aren't you supposed to shoot on 2-1 unless there is no chance of the pass being broken up.

One guy shoots, the other crashes the net...might not be pretty, but you get good shots.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:19 AM
degroat*

Quote:

It's because you're a Blues fan and Dallas Drake and Jamal Mayers have been the puck carrier on a number of 2 on 1's.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion961
Aren't you supposed to shoot on 2-1 unless there is no chance of the pass being broken up.
Ideally yes, but my issue is with the number of guys that bury their head and don't look pass. That and getting a pass through a single defenseman isn't as hard as it sounds most of the time. You have a better chance of getting a goal if you make the pass based on what I've seen over the years. Unless you bust out some moves, you're rarely going to see a player just blow a puck past a goalie that's square to them.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
It's because you're a Blues fan and Dallas Drake and Jamal Mayers have been the puck carrier on a number of 2 on 1's.
Well, you're somewhat right. But, Tkachuk did the same thing when he actually scored the OT winner against Anaheim a couple of weeks ago. Saw Kovalev do it the other night against the Avs and the list goes on. Mayers is just happy he has enough room to get a shot on net I think; so, I don't expect him to try much else with those stone hands of his. But guys like Kovalev or Tkachuk have better hands than to just settle on a long shot that's not going to go in very often. It's annoying is all. Pros can make those passes more often than not and not looking to pass is just silly as far as I'm concerned unless you're a Brett Hull or something.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Blackjack

I would say that, assuming the defenseman does his job correctly, you should shoot 99% of the time on a 2 on 1. The defenseman's job is to force the shooter as far to the outside as possible while preventing any kind of pass. If you can get the pass through, I think your chances of scoring will almost double, but the defenseman knows that, and all that's on his mind is preventing that pass.

A 2-0 on the other hand is a different story, I think that almost every 2-0 should involve at least 1 pass, maybe more depending on how clean the breakaway is. If the puck carrier takes the puck toward the near post, the goalie has no choice but to seal the edge, a crisp, cross-crease pass would force the goalie to dive to cover the net, and if there were time, a return pass would result in a virtual certain goal.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
I would say that, assuming the defenseman does his job correctly, you should shoot 99% of the time on a 2 on 1. The defenseman's job is to force the shooter as far to the outside as possible while preventing any kind of pass. If you can get the pass through, I think your chances of scoring will almost double, but the defenseman knows that, and all that's on his mind is preventing that pass.
That's giving defensemen way too much credit IMO. Even a properly positioned defenseman will get beat by a pass around half the time because that's just how hard it is to stop that little black puck from getting through your feet, over your stick, or through the space between your body and your stick.

Add to that how much better goaltending is and there's more reason to make the pass than shoot nowadays. How often does a 2v1 result in a shot-rebound-goal any more? Just doesn't work like it used to; goaltending controls the rebounds much better than a few years ago. And burying one's head to drive a shot past the goaltender rarely results in a goal as well.

If you ask me, unless the goaltender is cheating towards pass or the defenseman is absolutely perfectly positioned, a pass will result in more goals than a shot will. But, that's just my opinion. My main gripe in this thread is the number of guys that don't give much thought to making the pass in the first place (in the games I've seen so far this year). In essence, they are taking shots that are unlikely to beat most NHL goaltenders, which doesn't make the other team pay for giving up an odd man rush.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
That's giving defensemen way too much credit IMO. Even a properly positioned defenseman will get beat by a pass around half the time because that's just how hard it is to stop that little black puck from getting through your feet, over your stick, or through the space between your body and your stick.

Add to that how much better goaltending is and there's more reason to make the pass than shoot nowadays. How often does a 2v1 result in a shot-rebound-goal any more? Just doesn't work like it used to; goaltending controls the rebounds much better than a few years ago. And burying one's head to drive a shot past the goaltender rarely results in a goal as well.

If you ask me, unless the goaltender is cheating towards pass or the defenseman is absolutely perfectly positioned, a pass will result in more goals than a shot will. But, that's just my opinion. My main gripe in this thread is the number of guys that don't give much thought to making the pass in the first place (in the games I've seen so far this year). In essence, they are taking shots that are unlikely to beat most NHL goaltenders, which doesn't make the other team pay for giving up an odd man rush.
I suppose you could get the puck to your teammate most of the time, but think about it, the defenseman knows you want to pass the puck just as your're approaching the crease, he's going to stagger his skates and put his stick right in the lane. If you want to pass, you might have to make a saucer pass, which is incredibly difficult to one time (and if the shooter doesn't one time it, there's no point in passing since the goalie has time to cross the net.) I think that as good as defensemen and goaltenders are right now, you just can't consider a 2 on 1 a high percentage play anymore. I agree that the shot is low percentage, but a pass might not result in any shot.

I will agree with you on one thing though, if you can make the pass, you almost always should. (unless your name is Ilya, and the other guy's name is Patrik)

Maybe there should be different techniques for 2 on 1s? How about, instead of just skating next to the player with the puck, the player without the puck staggers himself about 2-3 strides back, that would force the defenseman to stay a little bit further back if he wants to prevent the pass and would give the shooter much more of the net to shoot at. Or, maybe the player without the puck skates directly behind the player with the puck, and right before the defenseman can poke check it, he drops the puck back and crashes the net, he would provide a screen along with the defenseman, he could deflect the shot, or knock in any garbedge.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:39 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Well, you're somewhat right. But, Tkachuk did the same thing when he actually scored the OT winner against Anaheim a couple of weeks ago. Saw Kovalev do it the other night against the Avs and the list goes on. Mayers is just happy he has enough room to get a shot on net I think; so, I don't expect him to try much else with those stone hands of his. But guys like Kovalev or Tkachuk have better hands than to just settle on a long shot that's not going to go in very often. It's annoying is all. Pros can make those passes more often than not and not looking to pass is just silly as far as I'm concerned unless you're a Brett Hull or something.
It seems that when demitra is on a 2 on 1 he always passes also. Tkachuk has at least 2 goals from recieving the pass, and cajanek has 1-from demitra alone. And he gave one to danton, but danton didnt get all of it. I agree with drake and mayers getting the bulk of the 2 on 1's though. And I wouldnt expect mayers to be able to thread the needle.

Closed Thread