HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers stink without pressure/adversity

Old
05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Cheese Danish

vCash: 500
It seems like Larsson is the Couturier to Giroux's Malkin.

The Kovalchuk injury might be the worst thing to happen to the Flyers.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Jgboys1

We took the 1st 2 in Pittsburgh, hopefully we can take the next 2 in N.J.

Jgboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I believe in Lavy

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I believe in Lavy
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
It's been one game. Not a season of neutralizing and pestering him. G is gonna tear some Devil ass up next game, watch.

This team reminds me of a fighter that needs to feel being punched in the face a couple times before they can get going. The problem is, sometimes once you start fighting stiffer competition, you can't come back from getting floored.

I have another theory about why they have terrible games. I think they're not too confident as individuals, but perhaps too confident in one another. They've all seen what this team looks like when they're firing on all cylinders. When you know that everyone else on your team is capable of excellence, you sort of lose a sense of urgency to make the absolute most of your next shift and take ownership of your team's fate. Basically you aren't playing desperate hockey, and I think we saw what that'll get you in the play offs last night, particularly against a hungry and capable team like the Devils. Full credit to them for that game.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post

The Kovalchuk injury might be the worst thing to happen to the Flyers.
No Larsson is soft. I would like the Flyers to try move of a Rangers approach and really pound the Devils' dmen on the forecheck. They have a super soft d-core. They need to try and take advantage of that.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

This just in ....Bettman has allowed the following transactions as a one time only deal during the playoffs.

Kennedy to NJ for Zubrus

Malkin to NJ for Kovalchuck and future considerations

Crosby to NJ for Zajac/Parise and future considerations

Letang to NJ for Salvador and Elias

Neil to NJ for Larsson and Clarkson

I think that ought to motivate the Flyers and create some hate so that they will actually give a crap next game...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
drownedsailors

Brodeur aggressively playing the puck has been killing us...the Devils (like any other team would do) are preventing us from having any speed through the neutral zone, and so obviously your next best option is to dump the puck in and chase it...the problem is Fatso is waiting there to spring the puck back to his teammates.

It's so ****ing frustrating to watch, and honestly if we don't adjust in Game 3 we'll see the same results, and IMO Lavy should get the blame for it. Our Peco wasn't good either, but I think that goes hand in hand with Game 2 as a whole...we were really ****ing out played and Jersey's PK'ers showed that.

Finally, I think people keep forgetting how aggressive New Jersey's forecheck really is...they're as aggressive as we are, if not more than us, and I think everyone saw it in Game 2. I don't think we lost that game because we didn't have "adversity" or whatever, I think it has a lot to do with how New Jersey played.

With all that being said, the Flyers are the better/more talented team, and I'd take them over the Devils any day of the week.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
rban*

I think the problem is lack of killer instinct, and the trouble with that is if you dont finish off weaker teams in earlier rounds quickly, ie if you drag it out, that creates all types of problems for later rounds.

Namely, more tiredness, more injuries etc etc

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I believe in Lavy
this. Ill take the guy that has a Cup ring, and took another one within a goal of game 7 of the Cup Final with Leighton in goal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
Brodeur aggressively playing the puck has been killing us...the Devils (like any other team would do) are preventing us from having any speed through the neutral zone, and so obviously your next best option is to dump the puck in and chase it...the problem is Fatso is waiting there to spring the puck back to his teammates.

It's so ****ing frustrating to watch, and honestly if we don't adjust in Game 3 we'll see the same results, and IMO Lavy should get the blame for it. Our Peco wasn't good either, but I think that goes hand in hand with Game 2 as a whole...we were really ****ing out played and Jersey's PK'ers showed that.

Finally, I think people keep forgetting how aggressive New Jersey's forecheck really is...they're as aggressive as we are, if not more than us, and I think everyone saw it in Game 2. I don't think we lost that game because we didn't have "adversity" or whatever, I think it has a lot to do with how New Jersey played.

With all that being said, the Flyers are the better/more talented team, and I'd take them over the Devils any day of the week.
there are ways to counter Brodeurs puck handling ability. If you keep dumping it in near the goalline hes going to stop our forecheck. they have to be better at getting the puck into the corners and then you have to pay the price of getting the puck.
NJ knows Bryzgalov cant handle the puck to save his life. So they can dump it in where the Flyers usually like to. The Flyers on both sides of the puck have to win puck battles. they have to be the more desperate team.
I do agree the Flyers need to crank up the physical play. Not enough of it so far. Hit them with every opportunity. Especially the defenseman. finish your checks with good hard checks.
NJ outplayed the Flyers in every area. They deserved the game. The Flyers need to respond with the type of effort we are used to after getting our butts kicked. That is one thing I am confident in. This team knows how to respond to the type of game we saw Tuesday.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:38 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
This team...lol. Totally playing as I expected. I'm going to break down what I think the problem is.

Pittsburgh series. No one picked them to win, backs against the wall playing the "better" team. They come out insane, winning the first 3 games, pouring their hearts out every game and winning because of that. So naturally, the pressure lifts a little bit because "Hey, we only need to win 1/4, and we won 3 already." They get embarrassed in game 4, which wakes them up a bit but still not to the point of grave concern. Game 5 they play better but not their best hockey, which completely wakes them up and they absolutely dominate game 6.

Devils series. A week layoff naturally kills the adrenaline, and I believe they're heavily favored to win this series (haven't checked personally, just what I'm hearing). The Flyers, to me, are much better than the Devils (not trying to offend any Devils fans here, just an opinion). So there is much less pressure to win than in the Pitt series because they're expected to win. Game 1, not their best effort but squeak out a win, which I think caused Game 2's result. They simply didn't have the compete level aside from like 12 minutes of game time. They won game 1 not playing a complete game, which naturally decreased the pressure. The desperation wasn't there...always electing for the fancy pass over grinding them out and so on.

I mean I'm sure this can apply to many teams, but there is something about this team that makes them disappear without pressure. They play down to teams, coast, but when pressure hits, they dominate. I think they can beat any team in the NHL in a 7 game series, just need to manage the intensity.

I expect game 3 to either be game 5 of the Pitt series, or game 6. Hoping for game 6 results, obviously. Not concerned about this team one bit, I know they can win this series, just need to actually feel pressure to perform.
Road to the Cup is always filled with adversity, so I am not worried about a shortage of it. Flyers could easily lose this series. I do not know where all the overconfidence comes from (especially from the media).

If the Flyers win the cup, the path for us fans will include overconfidence at times, anger, shock, near heart attack and exhilaration.

Flyers have as good a shot at it as we have seen in the last decade IMO, but it will be tough.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:20 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Flyers have as good a shot at it as we have seen in the last decade IMO, but it will be tough.
Esp with Caps and Rags exhausting each other with 3OT games. Hope that series goes 7.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I don't know if it was lack of adversity or just lack of hatred. The Flyers play better in games like the Pens series when every shift is murder on ice.

I think they should combine instilling some hatred and bile into the series with keeping Marty in the crease by simply taking a penalty and blasting him the first time he comes out to play the puck and holds onto it too long. Knock him arse over teakettle and get the venom flowing....and make him think twice about doing it again. Added bonus is that we win either way on their PP, either they score which will wake us up, or we get energy off the kill...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Don't think I agree with this. When the Flyers were skating, they were getting to and knocking down pucks Brodeur was trying to clear. I wouldn't be surprised if making Marty handle the puck is actually part of the strategy. He's older and slower, and we've seen him make mistakes already

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:23 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Don't think I agree with this. When the Flyers were skating, they were getting to and knocking down pucks Brodeur was trying to clear. I wouldn't be surprised if making Marty handle the puck is actually part of the strategy. He's older and slower, and we've seen him make mistakes already
Brodeur was handling the puck so much that he was bound to have some **** ups, but he clearly did more good than bad during that game.

All in all, IMO, he played the puck really well and it hurt our forecheck.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Well, we're not the favourites any more at least...

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote