HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Kate Murray:"...with the Rangers, it's exciting"

Old
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
No, it's not "reasonable" at all to assume they'd sell out on a regular basis if they became a regular playoff team because it's never happened except for the dynasty. That's only wishfull thinking on your part. No team wins all the time. LI's burbs make weeknight games hardly ever sold out especially now that society works longer hours beyond 5 pm and many can't get to an arena with no mass transit by 7 PM. Win or lose. The 13K this year included discounts, other teams fans and anybody who brought a can of peas to donate. The real number of fully paid non discount tix is probably around 9K.

Not only is Brooklyn a good option it's the only option now. (and the revenue advantage puts it over the top along with nassau not having a viable arena) No matter how many times you want to deny it.
You are entitled to your opinion. There has been no sustained period of success other than the dynasty to prove one way or the other. Lets face it this team has been mismanaged for 20+ years which would impact any fanbase. However, the fact is that they have had large average crowds during their history, both during dynasty and for a brief time after the 2002-2003 season following the exciting playoff lost to Toronto where they drew 91% capacity or 14.9K per game without the increased discounts. I do not see it unreasonable to assume that sustained success would increase attendance. The comments were not revenue related, you need to build the base back and show commitment first. The team owes that to their fans IMO. The attendance problem has been a result of the ownership, on ice product, building and politicians IMO not population.

You make assumptions of your own, such as on how many actually paid on average to go to games this year. I won't ask where you got this fact from but will say, there were 13.1K there per game this year(yes many were discounted). If they win, they will have more, to me that is common sense. That part wasn't a revenue discussion, it was putting butts in the seat, you have to build back the base first.

I admire your passion but do you deny there are issues with Brooklyn? Fact: at 100% of stated Barclay's capacity at EVERY game they would have been 28th this year in attendance. To me that is a low ceiling. I see a thin margin of error there to risk success/failure on anticipated unspecified revenue streams and reliance selling out at higher costs (sorry less seats, higher costs doesnt make me want to jump). Hopefully these revenue streams can become more fact than conjecture by all of us fantasy owners here. Short run arena solutions may bridge the gap, but settling for something less than ideal for the long run will cripple us for years to come.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

What did Murray mean by, "With the Rangers it is exciting"?

Does she not see how exciting it could be with the Isles doing something similar?

Does she not see how exciting it could be for the Isles to do something similar because she a Rags fan?

The key word for me is "with"
Yes, I could be making more out of this, but, it could be telling.

With the Rags it is exciting but not with the Isles.

I know this is a stretch, but, could she have shot down the Lighthouse b/c of her Rags fandom?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:21 AM
aemoreira1981

To me, this is a grave conflict of interest in her office, given that Ms. Murray alone is standing in the way of a future on Long Island by refusing to grant permission for Lighthouse.

I expect the Islanders to be in Brooklyn after the 2014-15 season...if not to Quebec City. The Islanders have the worst lease in the league denying them access to critical revenue. Kate Murray deserves the blame NOW, but a lot of it also goes on John Pickett, who signed that 30-year lease back in 1985.

@10 Min Misconduct - the lease requires the Islanders' presence in Nassau County for the next 3 seasons. Hockey-wise, this is also why a lot of the Islanders' key players have backloaded deals.

As for Murray's re-election...that has to do with other issues; I don't think that the Islanders are anywhere near voters' minds. And the Nassau Coliseum is quickly becoming outdated as well and could become the second white elephant arena in Greater New York (the Izod Center is already one). The NY Metro area cannot support five arenas of NHL size.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:54 AM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Because somehow, less money, bad seating and fans no being able to go to games means we'll be able to sign free agents who want to play in an empty arena? Or there's a Saturday Night Fever connection I am missing.

"We don't need no stinking Suffolk fans."
Yeah you do

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:55 AM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Please tell us the other viable solutions now.

Those that aren't dreams/wishful thinking.

I thought so.
Not Brooklyn

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Steve55

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/NYI?expand=true&year=2012

With several backloaded contracts, I wonder if Wang is trying to sell ASAP even if it's just a portion of the franchise. One scenario may be where the Isles team up with a partner to build an arena in Queens and they split the cost 50-50 (approximate cost 400 M) For the 200 M the partner pitches in on top of debt service (the interest component of tax-exempt financing), it gets 50% of the Isles.

Last edited by Steve55: 05-01-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
http://clutch.mtv.com/2012/04/30/bro...ts-jay-z-logo/

Nets new logo. Not entirely relevant, but I guess since we're talking Barclays in here, I figured you'd want to take a look.

It's pretty boring if you ask me.

Pretty dumb logo. Not very inclusive

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
denis

Quote:
Aww, you hurt? Or just inciting again? Put me on ignore, kid.

show me a link where ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of a ticket price goes to the act, kid. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

You are pathetic in these debates, but I love how you come to incite. Does Wang get $20 per car? Does Wang get merchandise revenue? Does Wang get advertising revenue? Does Wang get anything?

Way to strawman, kid. And yes, give me the link I asked for where Peltz was seeking to buy the team for $100M or some BS number. The value of the team dropped and Wang won't take less than what he's paid for, as has been reported ad nauseum in older articles.

So show me some links, chief. Or just come in and incite as usual. No 14 year old girl, just a guy laughing at your act yet again. Anyways, on with the discussion. If you wanna stalk me on Facebook, PM me and I'll add you
Quote:
It’s a sexy, splashy enterprise, the concert business. But behind the show is another story — not of music, but of hard numbers. A story of money that people in this secretive world of concerts, promoters, arenas and stars do not talk about.

Records that The Star-Ledger recently obtained after a long legal battle with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority provide an unprecedented behind-the-scenes look at a business increasingly driven by the maddening demands of performers and promoters, leaving razor-thin profit margins for the state agency that operates the Meadowlands.

Those records — confidential contracts and settlement sheets the sports authority spent nearly three years and some $500,000 in legal fees to keep from public view — show how an almost $2 million take at the box office can dwindle to virtually nothing in one evening.

Here is the math:

Ticket sales ran to $1.75 million for the Spears event. Izod took in $80,000 in rental fees, along with a $3.50 per ticket facility charge. It also received all the parking and concessions revenue, shared in the Ticketmaster surcharge, and was paid for the work of its stagehands and setup crews.

Then came the payouts: Records show the state authority secretly paid $76,370 to tour promoter Live Nation, in a $5-a-ticket rebate (think of it as a behind-the-back bonus not figured into the star’s take).

The sports authority made $66,089 in parking for the Spears concert, but it paid out $9,786 to parking attendants and other expenses. It made $45,599 at the snack bar, but then paid out $15,935 in security costs.

Spears’ Femme Fatale Tour left town having made $1.5 million for the evening, after stage and set-up expenses, and payment of state taxes.

The sports authority’s income? $170,215.

The figures help explain as never before why Izod has struggled financially for years, graphically showing the economics of the concert business, which leaves little on the table for the state and its taxpayers beyond concessions and parking once the big stars leave town.

Indeed, what keeps the Izod Center out of the red these days is not the price of a ticket, but rather how many people come by car, and how much they spend on pretzels, nachos and beer.
Quote:
That promoters are demanding more is not isolated to New Jersey.

"The dynamics have changed," said Dean Budnick, co-author of "Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped."

Pointing to the growing power of mega-promoter Live Nation to dictate terms, and of artists who are demanding, and getting, a larger and larger share of the money coming in, Budnick said some arenas are already giving up a cut of concessions and parking as well, raising questions about how venues in smaller markets, or those in cities without parking revenues — or even Izod itself — can operate in the black.

"There are increasingly limited opportunities to make money," Budnick said. "Everyone is just scrambling to get whatever they can."
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._izod_cen.html

And with Barclays opening in the Fall, and the renovations at MSG wrapping up, NVMC will be squeezed to get acts. It's already terrible; just look at the concert schedule to see the "windfall" Wang is getting.

denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Next group that resorts to personal attacks is getting infracted. We're all adults here, stop acting like children and have a civilized discussion!!!

05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
http://clutch.mtv.com/2012/04/30/bro...ts-jay-z-logo/

Nets new logo. Not entirely relevant, but I guess since we're talking Barclays in here, I figured you'd want to take a look.

It's pretty boring if you ask me.

So ungly imo.....Also they should of use red white and blue.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Jkoyas

Screw Katie Murry and James Darcy

http://www.***********/tb/t1lz6

Jkoyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:23 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._izod_cen.html

And with Barclays opening in the Fall, and the renovations at MSG wrapping up, NVMC will be squeezed to get acts. It's already terrible; just look at the concert schedule to see the "windfall" Wang is getting.
You do know the South Jersey has X population density and Philly to deal with to the South, Newark to the north and is in a swamp with no team there while NVMC has NYC, traffic and trains to the Garden, but NVMC is easier to get to for everyone east of it, thus, it's in a better situation, not to mention it has a team playing there and frankly is a much better venue than IZOD?

I don't think we'd have to bribe acts to play there like the abandoned Izod would. Do you honestly believe we would? Roger Waters chose the NVMC. Madonna now lives there. It's not perfect but it's the main arena for the residents of Nassau and Suffolk, a sizeable population. Some would obviously choose NYC, a train, the Manhattan bars, etc. Some might choose Brooklyn, a train ride and all that Brooklyn has. Great. But that in no way means people have to brave the sewage smell and swampland of the Meadowlands area to see a show at the IZOD.

Just sayin.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
denis

Quote:
You do know the South Jersey has X population density and Philly to deal with to the South, Newark to the north and is in a swamp with no team there while NVMC has NYC, traffic and trains to the Garden, but NVMC is easier to get to for everyone east of it, thus, it's in a better situation, not to mention it has a team playing there and frankly is a much better venue than IZOD?

I don't think we'd have to bribe acts to play there like the abandoned Izod would. Do you honestly believe we would? Roger Waters chose the NVMC. Madonna now lives there. It's not perfect but it's the main arena for the residents of Nassau and Suffolk, a sizeable population. Some would obviously choose NYC, a train, the Manhattan bars, etc. Some might choose Brooklyn, a train ride and all that Brooklyn has. Great. But that in no way means people have to brave the sewage smell and swampland of the Meadowlands area to see a show at the IZOD.

Just sayin.
Madonna renting the NVMC is what's known as a "very bad thing." It means that no revenue-producing act wanted to rent it for a period of six weeks, so the space was given away for what an empty college field house or a large warehouse would have rented for.

As far as top-line acts, they really don't much care regarding the demographics or ease of access. They go where the money is. They know they will sell out regardless of which of what's soon to be 5 arenas in the metro area they choose to play in -- and they play where the promoter tells them to. Live Nation and its ilk won't leave money on the table. It's like payola. You pay, or we won't play. Maybe Wang decided to try not paying this summer, and maybe that's why the building is darker than the Dark Side of the Moon. Springsteen? Every open arena in the area except NVMC. Rush in the fall? Prudential and Barclays, not NVMC.

denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
leaponover

I have this tweet for Murray:

"with NYC it's exciting..."

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I have this tweet for Murray:

"with NYC it's exciting..."

I don't even know what Murray meant with her original quote and yet I know this is the correct response.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:37 AM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
If the Rangers win the Stanley Cup it will be great for the NHL and Hockey in the US as it was in 1994. Sadly the lockout ruined any further momentum that it created.

I am rooting against them because I am an Islander fan but if they play tough and win the whole thing then I will congratulate all my Ranger friends. As for the Islanders, if the Rangers win then we can hope Wang notices all the attention they get and maybe spends some money this off season. Though I highly doubt it
Good for the NHL. Fine, whatever. I have never bought that argument. So do the Kings or Rangers have to win every season for NHL to be successful?

But a Ranger cup win this season, or any season between now and 2015,is a death blow to the Islanders. Unless they take they easy route and move to Brooklyn. But nothing else will get done as long as the team is not and cannot be competitive.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Yeah you do
He's being facetious.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:11 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I don't even know what Murray meant with her original quote and yet I know this is the correct response.

lol, you and me both!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote