HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Laviolette's Contract Status?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
  #51
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
I think lavy is a great coach, I just don't know anymore if his system is right for the make of this team.
Exactly...his style can only go so far in the playoffs in particular. I think for the reg season he knows how to keep the team on task to make the playoffs but not sure how much longer he can do that although he's got a lot of young and new players who should not really be tired of him yet.

Regardless if Lavi sticks around or not I still think we have a great future.....let's face it most people were happy with ousting Pitt and the rest was going to be gravy. Devils right now are just more motivated and healthy....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
  #52
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
I think lavy is a great coach, I just don't know anymore if his system is right for the make of this team.
It should be if the players execute it correctly. It's he team that pushes the play to score. These players should be able to do that.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
  #53
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Exactly...his style can only go so far in the playoffs in particular. I think for the reg season he knows how to keep the team on task to make the playoffs but not sure how much longer he can do that although he's got a lot of young and new players who should not really be tired of him yet.

Regardless if Lavi sticks around or not I still think we have a great future.....let's face it most people were happy with ousting Pitt and the rest was going to be gravy. Devils right now are just more motivated and healthy....
Yeah I mean really what has his style of play gotten teams in the past in the playoffs other than you know that Cup win (2006) and a trip to the finals (2010). Clearly his system can't work in the playoffs.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:39 PM
  #54
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
While Lavi is showing some kinks like last year's Boston series and I still think he's reaching his expiration date quicker..he does have a really banged up team. Pitt just gassed and decimated us. I mean the Devils played Florida..even though it went 7 it wasn't exactly a war of attrition...
This may be the worst post ever. How did Pittsburgh gas and decimate us? We had a WEEK OFF after the series! And it's ridiculous how many people on here bash Florida like their still bottom-feeding scum. We'd be in a similar position in this series if we were playing them.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
  #55
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Yeah I mean really what has his style of play gotten teams in the past in the playoffs other than you know that Cup win (2006) and a trip to the finals (2010). Clearly his system can't work in the playoffs.
So you think teams haven't adjusted to him either.....seriously your sarcasm doesn't impress me

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
  #56
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Exactly...his style can only go so far in the playoffs in particular. I think for the reg season he knows how to keep the team on task to make the playoffs but not sure how much longer he can do that although he's got a lot of young and new players who should not really be tired of him yet.

Regardless if Lavi sticks around or not I still think we have a great future.....let's face it most people were happy with ousting Pitt and the rest was going to be gravy. Devils right now are just more motivated and healthy....
We owned the Pens all season so while we were happy, it was expected. The big question is why does this team always have at least 1 period where they aren't moving? It's been like this for years, and most of the players from 2 years ago are gone so I think it lies with Lavi.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:44 PM
  #57
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
It should be if the players execute it correctly. It's he team that pushes the play to score. These players should be able to do that.
They can't play defense and we lack size in our lower forward lines. Also beside Couturier we are are small as hell up the middle. Giroux is no where near the Richards level of selke play. As good as he is offensively he is overrated defensively. People say Oh yea he plays PK that doesn't necessarily mean they are very good defensively. Sure we got bigger on the wings on our top lines but we got smaller in our lower lines and up the middle. Jagr, Simmonds, and Hartnell have just been invisible. Jagr should not be resigned.

Carle just makes to many bad decisions and gets banged around on a fierce forecheck.. Kimmo is a warrior but he is on his last leg. He will be hanging them up soon. He is slow and just isn't that same stabilizing influences on the back end. Grossman is alright but we only seen a small sample size of him. Coburn has finally took his game to another level. Gus is soft. He has been horribe in the NJ series. The very thing i thought that would expose him is exposing him. A hard forecheck will cause him to crumble. He also makes bad passes to his D-partner which gets them in trouble.

The team defense needs to be totally revamped.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:44 PM
  #58
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
This may be the worst post ever. How did Pittsburgh gas and decimate us? We had a WEEK OFF after the series! And it's ridiculous how many people on here bash Florida like their still bottom-feeding scum. We'd be in a similar position in this series if we were playing them.
Are you serious? This team got banged up hard against Pitt..the biggest cheapshot artists. A week is nothing when you have serious injuries..Timonen has one foot in the grave, Jagr is gassed, G seems out of it, Grossmann has two bionic knees and who knows who else is playing with injuries as opposed to just being hurt....

That series took a lot out of this team. Florida was good but that was a different kind of tactical series from what I saw.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:49 PM
  #59
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
So you think teams haven't adjusted to him either.....seriously your sarcasm doesn't impress me
I'm not trying to impress you. The time he's been with the Flyers he's been better at making adjustments than pretty much every other coach we've played against. As I stated before to my eyes the biggest problems with tonight game we're not system related, they were player related. I was simply point out his system has been successful in the playoffs so to say it's only good for the regular season and not the playoffs is just dumb.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:51 PM
  #60
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Are you serious? This team got banged up hard against Pitt..the biggest cheapshot artists. A week is nothing when you have serious injuries..Timonen has one foot in the grave, Jagr is gassed, G seems out of it, Grossmann has two bionic knees and who knows who else is playing with injuries as opposed to just being hurt....

That series took a lot out of this team. Florida was good but that was a different kind of tactical series from what I saw.
It's the playoffs, everyone is hurt. Nobody looks more hurt on the ice than Kovy right now, but he's still doing his thing. I know they're banged up, but I certainly don't think they're more banged up than any other team. In terms of being gassed...that week off completely dismisses that idea for me. Makes no sense.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:57 PM
  #61
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Look I see both points about Lavi's strongpoints and the Flyers shouldn't be playing this badly with the time off..but I have my doubts about both being the explanation alone for this current situation.

I'm not that worried though about the future..honestly. With or without Lavi we'll be more than fine. Sux that we are squandering a good chance at competing for the Cup b/c of the teams that are still in it but we'll be making strong runs in the future. This was a good primer for all the rooks etc plus not over just yet. Maybe these two days wake em up.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:02 PM
  #62
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Exactly...his style can only go so far in the playoffs in particular. I think for the reg season he knows how to keep the team on task to make the playoffs but not sure how much longer he can do that although he's got a lot of young and new players who should not really be tired of him yet.

Regardless if Lavi sticks around or not I still think we have a great future.....let's face it most people were happy with ousting Pitt and the rest was going to be gravy. Devils right now are just more motivated and healthy....
This team is designed with lavy's style of play in mind to be honest. Very fast and agrgressive with talent.

However this Devils matchup is proving to be a bad matchup for us. There clutch and grab style is really slowing us down and making things frustrating.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:06 PM
  #63
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
With the injuries on defense and the amount of rookies and other young players on this team, none of the blame should be placed on Lavi. There are definitely more reasons why they now trail in the series, but to put the blame on him would be foolish.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:10 PM
  #64
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
This team is designed with lavy's style of play in mind to be honest. Very fast and agrgressive with talent.

However this Devils matchup is proving to be a bad matchup for us. There clutch and grab style is really slowing us down and making things frustrating.
Agreed....sux we had to be bedeviled ...at least so far...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:33 PM
  #65
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 2,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
We owned the Pens all season so while we were happy, it was expected. The big question is why does this team always have at least 1 period where they aren't moving? It's been like this for years, and most of the players from 2 years ago are gone so I think it lies with Lavi.
They never played three periods under Stevens. The only logical conclusion is to trade Hartnell, Timonen, Coburn and Briere

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
  #66
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
There might not be any star coaches available but I am disappointed with Lavi. In 2010 he did everything right but there were a lot of problems with him in last year's playoffs, especially concerning line matchups and this year, the team's defence has been absolutely awful. You can get away with scoring a ton of goals and winning in the regular season but in the playoffs, you need that strong team defence but he just cares about offense.
In fairness it's hard to play team defense when you lose all of your best defensive forwards in recent years and the only one competent is a 19 year old rookie. I'm as big of a fan of Couturier as anyone, but part of the reason why he is being used to shut down the opposing team's best players is because we don't have anyone else capable. We have too many liabilities IMO.

It also doesn't help when you lose Pronger, Meszaros, and even Bourdon.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:05 AM
  #67
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
They can't play defense and we lack size in our lower forward lines. Also beside Couturier we are are small as hell up the middle. Giroux is no where near the Richards level of selke play. As good as he is offensively he is overrated defensively. People say Oh yea he plays PK that doesn't necessarily mean they are very good defensively. Sure we got bigger on the wings on our top lines but we got smaller in our lower lines and up the middle. Jagr, Simmonds, and Hartnell have just been invisible. Jagr should not be resigned.

Carle just makes to many bad decisions and gets banged around on a fierce forecheck.. Kimmo is a warrior but he is on his last leg. He will be hanging them up soon. He is slow and just isn't that same stabilizing influences on the back end. Grossman is alright but we only seen a small sample size of him. Coburn has finally took his game to another level. Gus is soft. He has been horribe in the NJ series. The very thing i thought that would expose him is exposing him. A hard forecheck will cause him to crumble. He also makes bad passes to his D-partner which gets them in trouble.

The team defense needs to be totally revamped.
We are smaller up the middle no question. Giroux and Briere are two of the smaller centers in the league. What we do have or at least should if they displayed it is great team speed, if they're playing hard they should most times be able to get to the puck faster than the other guy. Supposedly our players have speed, will, and toughness so they should be able to get in on the forecheck/backcheck quickly and do it well.

Yeah and the defense is missing Pronger and Meszaros. Due to Pronger's injury Timonen is forced into the defacto #1 spot which he has the talent for but not the stamina. Kimmo is getting up there but he's still very good and I'd rather him than at least 80% of the defesemen out there. Carle makes mistakes for sure, but as this defense is built he's meant to be the 4th or 5th defenseman (5th if all are healthy) if that were the case he'd be far and away the best 5th defensemen in the league. Once you get past the 1st or 2nd if you're lucky defenseman they'll have some defiance either they don't play the puck well enough or aren't physical enough, but there are very few defenseman who are good at everything. Yes Gus is soft the only reason he's playing is because of injuries. All healthy we should/would have the best defense corp in the league.

Either way these all seem like injury or personnel problems than coaching problems.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:18 AM
  #68
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
In fairness it's hard to play team defense when you lose all of your best defensive forwards in recent years and the only one competent is a 19 year old rookie. I'm as big of a fan of Couturier as anyone, but part of the reason why he is being used to shut down the opposing team's best players is because we don't have anyone else capable. We have too many liabilities IMO.

It also doesn't help when you lose Pronger, Meszaros, and even Bourdon.
Really in theory you have 4 centers/lines. Briere is clearly not a shut down center. He was never expected to do that, and is easily our worst defensive forward. But he's a great scorer and clutch in the playoffs. Rare is the player who is a clutch playoff scorer and good defensively. We weren't getting Datsyuk so do you go for the scorer or the Defensive center? Briere has been money in the playoffs, and helped us get to the ECF and the SCF so seems like a good move there. Giroux is decent defensively but is top 5 offensively right now top 10 even if you're "a hater". I don't think most people have a problem with either of them being on the team. After that you at center you really have Couturier, Read, Talbot,and Schenn as options. Not really much to chose from if you looking for a shutdown center.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:20 AM
  #69
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
The two biggest problems were guys not playing hard enough, and players not change at the proper time. Not exactly the coach's fault.
It's not the coach's job to get players to play hard?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:21 AM
  #70
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Yes i'm the moron for blaming the coach for the players making the worst change they could have, on top of that they have made line changes throughout their careers. But this time the Flyers make this bad change it's all on Lavy. It's on the players on the ice to be more aware of whats going on while they are out there. And they only way Lavy can do that while in game is if he is on the ice with them, and we know that isn't happening.
LMAO welcome to five years ago.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:22 AM
  #71
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
To all you people that want Laviolette gone, who would you replace him with?
Ted Nolan!!!!! (he took the Islanders to the playoffs, you know)

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
  #72
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!
 
Coppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Ted Nolan!!!!! (he took the Islanders to the playoffs, you know)
So did Lavi... twice...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
  #73
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
here's the list http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=76602, it's not that impressive

i can see why lav is best to keep because none of these coaches are Stanley cup material, worst comes to worst, they have to get rid of the players that are not doing well on this team or sent them to the ahl.


Last edited by toughfighter83*: 05-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
  #74
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Really in theory you have 4 centers/lines. Briere is clearly not a shut down center. He was never expected to do that, and is easily our worst defensive forward. But he's a great scorer and clutch in the playoffs. Rare is the player who is a clutch playoff scorer and good defensively. We weren't getting Datsyuk so do you go for the scorer or the Defensive center? Briere has been money in the playoffs, and helped us get to the ECF and the SCF so seems like a good move there. Giroux is decent defensively but is top 5 offensively right now top 10 even if you're "a hater". I don't think most people have a problem with either of them being on the team. After that you at center you really have Couturier, Read, Talbot,and Schenn as options. Not really much to chose from if you looking for a shutdown center.
Well my post wasn't to point out Briere's deficiencies, but since you brought him up I'd have to say what use is his scoring if he is giving it right back at the other end? For all of his clutch scoring, he's still a minus player. For $6.5M I expect better than someone who is a huge liability in their own end. I think we'd be better off with someone who isn't quite as good offensively, but won't be abused defensively.

Anyway the point is the lack of team defense is to be expected when you don't have many forwards capable of playing defense.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
  #75
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,695
vCash: 50
Laviolette is not the problem.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.