HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs is shopping their d-man

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 07:25 AM
Patty Roy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Hamrlik ($3.6M)/ Parrish ($2.3M)

for

Hainsey (< $1.1M)/ Souray ($1.6M)

Habs add offense Parrish is a proven 20+ goal scorer, is just entering the prime of his career and though not a physical specimen, plays a consistently gritty game. He is an upspectacular player, but certainly fills Gainey's reported need. Hamrlik becomes your best defenseman. He too, is just in his prime (29) and should have many more years left. Logs a ton of minutes, plays on all special teams, and would be an ideal skilled veteran presence on your backline, as Komisarek (and even the still-youngish Markov) develop.

Isles add a tough customer to their backline. Souray, when healthy, is a #4 on numerous teams; if he is on your third-pairing, you are deep. Hainsey is a young, talented player who won't necessarily become a flashy backliner, but a steady one. Has much to learn; much to offer. Isles pare approx. $3M in payroll in this exchange, which would be the primary reason I'd consider it from their standpoint. Allows for further penny-pinching moves (Cairns? Janne? ).
From a talent perspective, i definitely like the deal for the Habs. My only concern is Hamrlik's contract...not so much the dollars, but how many years left? He's getting close to UFA years and i would hate to lose him a year after the lockout...

Old
11-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
From a talent perspective, i definitely like the deal for the Habs. My only concern is Hamrlik's contract...not so much the dollars, but how many years left? He's getting close to UFA years and i would hate to lose him a year after the lockout...
Also the deal is missing the point. If Bob wants to bring Komo up, we should expect RDs to leave Montreal, not LDs ... No solution there ...

Old
11-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Traitor8

I think Rivet will be traded for a VERY good Forward but who is OVERPRICED!

Rivet is respected in the league by all Gm's and has a good value.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Hamrlik ($3.6M)/ Parrish ($2.3M)

for

Hainsey (< $1.1M)/ Souray ($1.6M)
Very generous offer talent wise. In that regard, the Habs get the upper hand. I've always liked Hamrlik a lot. The problem I see with it however is Hamrlik's age. With a possible year of lock-out looming and the fact that Montreal won't be competitive for at least 1-2 more years, Hamrlik could very well pack his things and leave as a UFA just when the franchise is starting to turn things around. That sole factor makes it much less attractive for the Habs who are still in rebuilding mode. So Souray fits the bill more than Hamrlik at 26yo.

I'd still be interested talking about Parrish though. Young enough so that he could grow alongside the other youngsters in the team and a good goalscorer. However, I'm not sure Gainey would be ready to pay a hefty price for him as his leitmotif since he's become GM of the organization seems to be size. He's repeated more than once that the Habs were too small as a team and need to get bigger up front. Still, Parrish could fill a need no doubt in my mind.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:34 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
i stopped at souray, they rely VERY heavily on him, and wont part with him.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65
Maybe Rivet or Brisebois for Primeau
Wayne maybe, the Flyers exposed Therien at the waiver draft, they want to dump a veteran D man, not acquire another one.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I think Rivet will be traded for a VERY good Forward but who is OVERPRICED!

Rivet is respected in the league by all Gm's and has a good value.
And did you personally talk to every GM in the league and ask or did Gainey call you up and give you this info?

Old
11-22-2003, 11:29 AM
DEBASER

i think the two candidates for a potential trade have to be rivet or brisebois. as a poster mentioned earlier, the habs only pay quintal 450k this year - a bargain for a 6th defenseman with size, leadership, and experience.

i think brisebois has a lot better trade value now than at the end of last season. he's playing solid hockey, and though his contract is expensive, he has a 1 mil buyout at the end of the season. montreal, or a team that acquires him could concievably buy him out and sign him to a lesser contract in the summer.

rivet is signed to a rediculus 3mil/year contract that i believe runs through 2006. he's a team guy and a leader, but not worth that kind of money, especially given his poor play this year. perhaps, as someone mentioned, they could get an overpriced forward in return...but then what would be the point? aren't habs posters trying to unload their overpriced forwards (audette, perrault, juneau, etc) in every 2nd trade proposal? why would they want to pick up another and make a crowded forward lineup even more crowded?

i think the habs would most likely be looking for picks, unless they can package a dman with a forward for a better forward.

edit: or acquire a forward who is on the last year of their contract

Old
11-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
And did you personally talk to every GM in the league and ask or did Gainey call you up and give you this info?
Lots of Experts and Analyst say it from McKenzie to Demers,Pednault to McGuire...etc.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:35 AM
markov`

Rivet vs Connoly. Gainey would probably accept that.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Traitor8

From what i read on other boards, Rivet is the 1 being shopped

Old
11-23-2003, 07:48 AM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Lots of Experts and Analyst say it from McKenzie to Demers,Pednault to McGuire...etc.
link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
i stopped at souray, they rely VERY heavily on him, and wont part with him.
That is crazy. Hamerlik would easily by far be their #1, while parrish would be their #1 rw (zed would move to lw).

Old
11-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
That is crazy. Hamerlik would easily by far be their #1, while parrish would be their #1 rw (zed would move to lw).
Zednik already plays LW with Koivu at C and Ryder who's doing a good job at RW. As for Souray, he's 26yo. Hamrlik is 29. He'll be a UFA in 2 years (with a probable one year lock-out in between). No sense trading Souray for him in those conditions.

Old
11-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Habsfunk

I wonder if Washington would go for Rivet? It would probably require picking up Lang or Jagr in return but that wouldn't be so bad. Its just some food for thought.

Closed Thread