HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 — Germany

Old
05-03-2012, 08:07 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

vCash: 500
IIHF ‏ @IIHFHockey
Great news! All 64 games of the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship will be streamed live and for free on YouTube!

sturmthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
he always says no. not a big deal. some players only show up if they get media attention. i guess every country has these guys.
That would be wrong. He played three times, he rejected the invitation twice, missed once for an unknown reason (that was the Div I year) and was in the playoffs another six times. You can hardly say that he always says no when he did it a grand total of 2 out of 12 times.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
That would be wrong. He played three times, he rejected the invitation twice, missed once for an unknown reason (that was the Div I year) and was in the playoffs another six times. You can hardly say that he always says no when he did it a grand total of 2 out of 12 times.
three times?

the only WC he played was in 07-08 after he left to NA in 02.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

We need more custom avatar's like the Olympic ones that were made!

Old
05-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Sanderson

He played in 2001 and 2002 as well. Yes, that was before he left for North America, but just like you can't ignore the fact that playoffs prevented him from playing most of the time, you also can't ignore that he did play for Germany before.

I don't see any reason why you should take out those tournaments when discussing his willingness to play for Germany.

Is he taking the first plane available to come over and play, no, but he also hasn't rejected to play all that often either. It's simply unfair to judge a player based on the two times he didn't choose to play.

Sturm has only played in three World Championships since moving to North America as well, with plenty of times where he could have played and didn't, yet no one doubts that he likes to play for Germany.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:33 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

C - Marcel Goc
A - Alexander Barta
A - Kai Hospelt

http://www.eishockey.info/eishockey/...medium=twitter

sturmthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Sanderson

Pätzold, Reul and Pietta are not on the final roster. Each team is allowed to carry 22 players plus three goalies, Kölliker wants to go with 20+2 for now.

No idea what he is waiting for. It's not like we have better players left who could arrive later on. In case of injuries he's going to nominate one of these three anyway, so why not have them on the roster right away?

Old
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Pätzold, Reul and Pietta are not on the final roster. Each team is allowed to carry 22 players plus three goalies, Kölliker wants to go with 20+2 for now.

No idea what he is waiting for. It's not like we have better players left who could arrive later on. In case of injuries he's going to nominate one of these three anyway, so why not have them on the roster right away?
I don't understand it either.
The only thing I can think of is that Kölliker wants to have the opportunity, in case of injuries, to not replace the injured player with either Pietta or Reul, but with some other player who might be more similar to the one injured. But it makes no sense whatsoever with Pätzold, because he is a goalie.

What a rollercoaster ride for Pietta. First he is on the team and plays well in the friendlies, then he gets cut, then Mauer gets hurt, and he is back on the roster, only to be cut again, to keep a spot open, for whatever reason.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
GermanNuck

Waiting for Müller and Holzer to get swept by Abbotsford

GermanNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Rumcajs

Is Tobias Rieder going to play?

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Is Tobias Rieder going to play?
No, I don't think it was even considered.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:35 AM
zecke26

Quote:
He played in 2001 and 2002 as well. Yes, that was before he left for North America, but just like you can't ignore the fact that playoffs prevented him from playing most of the time, you also can't ignore that he did play for Germany before.
while in europe, everyone wants to play for the national team. it's where the scouts are. as soon as the NHL contract is signed, the interest is gone. that's my point.

Quote:
Sturm has only played in three World Championships since moving to North America as well, with plenty of times where he could have played and didn't, yet no one doubts that he likes to play for Germany.
oh, it's not just seidenberg. i don't like this mentality that the european players can work hard to get olympic qualification and the NHLers join at the olympics to get the media attention. either play WC too and help to get qualification or stay away at the olympics too. during the olympics it could be a nice rest to spend time with family too, but somehow hockey players never come up with the family argument during the olympic break.

and long season, that i love the most. how many games do some national team players in europe play? if you consider the european trophy in august, the reg.season, the play-offs and the national team games in between, it's not shorter than a NHL season.

am i unfair to seidenberg? maybe. but he's still the guy who was too lazy to bring the cup to germany.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:55 AM
danista

Send a message via MSN to danista
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
No, I don't think it was even considered.
Kölliker considered Rieder to play for the national team but because there wasn't enough time for Rieder to play with the team after Kitchener was defeated in the playoffs he decided not to.

danista is offline   Reply With Quote