HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Old
05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Since the facts prove otherwise, I feel no more need to debate.

Kings have won by more than one goal every game and dominated play 3/4ths of the ice time as well. When King starts turning into a clutch goal scorer, it's time to give up. St. Louis got exposed...paper-thin defense, playoff inexperience, inability to deal with adversity (until game 3), can't handle LA's 6'+ forecheck even strength, can't handle said forecheck shorthanded, over-hyped goaltender exposed as a backup, and a bunch of good second line forwards. Rock beat scissors every time and left a twisted mess on the ice.

- R
.><.
I'm with you, bro! Nice work man! Steen and MacDonald over J-Dub? really? LMAO.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
I'm with you, bro! Nice work man! Steen and MacDonald over J-Dub? really? LMAO.
Steen and MacDonald were like, three excuses ago! Right now is "what if Halak" time.

JK bro, and thanks! I'm happy to have you and all my sisters and brothers on this ride. There is no longtime King fan that is not a diehard fan in LA.

That's just how we roll.

- R

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Dave Hrudey
Rookie User

Question to the OP... is your name bassed on the Watchmen character?

Dave Hrudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:46 AM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
**I know I'm in the minority on this but is there anyone else here who feels in a hockey sense that we should dominate this series? **

I wanted to get this post in before the first game started...I've been meaning to post this sort of as a follow up to my earlier "Who are we afraid of...no one but maybe Detroit" thread.

I feel like all of the hype surrounding this series is too much. And all of the "well during the regular season, we..." talk is irrelevant...the talk coming from our fans and St. L's fans. All of those things go out the window because both teams are different now on key personnel and playoff hockey is not regular season hockey.

Personally I think that for this match up, the Kings should have a about +1.5 to 1.75 goal differential per game, so that they ought to win every game by one or two goals. Unless Quick has a night at home where he doesn't sleep because of home issues (baby, wife, whatever) and we don't go "Edler" and make multiple insane mistakes, this should be true for four games. We ought to sweep; with St. Louis maybe stealing one 1-0 or 2-1 game where they get two lucky bounces/occurrences. (I have this idea that at home, Quick sometimes lets in bad goals early in the game and also faded last season, possibly due to his newborn.)

Anyways, forget regular season stats and forget who we played and our successes against them. Forget our wins against St. L, forget our losses to SJ, who St. L just beat handily. Totally irrelevant. I only want to focus on the on ice match up in series with these two current rosters. St. L plays a system that really annoys and messes up teams like San Jose and I'm guessing the other first round eliminees also would have trouble. We're not San Jose. For some reason San Jose matches up well against us as they can sometimes break down our defense with their forwards...and you can almost count Dan Boyle as a forward because he can become a good one when he wants to.

The Blues play a system; it's Hitch's same system he always uses. Kings play a similar system except we don't play it as well but augment it with puck possession both in the neutral zone and the other teams' defensive zone. Our fourth line is excellent for the latter. We have forwards the size and offensive caliber that St. Louis hasn't had since the very early 90s. We can play their game well but we can also punish them down low and in the neutral zone with guys like Lewis, Richards and Brown.

If San Jose is the paper, St. Louis is the scissors. But we are the rock in this scenario. St. Louis seems solid but scissors are actually delicate.

Their goaltending is sub par. Halak, a goalie I thoroughly respect and maybe fear, has a bad ankle. Elliott is a career backup, the ultimate "system goalie" this year. He's just the current Pascal Leclair, Marty Turco, Steve Mason...those guys (an injured Halak included) are no Jon Quick. Heck, they might not even be Jon Bernier.

Their defense is good but anchored by young guys. I respect Nashville's anchors more. Our guys are young too but where we have Scuderi (ring), Mitchell (maybe our best all around D) and Greene (finals) (lot of playoff experience there) they have...wait, who do they have? They have guys who play a good system but are actually just ok defensemen. They're not exactly Chicago. When we lay our forwards on them, our 6+ footers and our multiple 20-40 goal scorers on them, we'll see how good they really are.

Their forwards are basically a bunch of decent to good second liners. They have no Kopitar...I wonder how the somewhat undersized McDonald will react when 6'3" AK backchecks him. And if you want to talk about second liners, Mike Richards may be the best in the world. (A guy like Malkin is a first liner who plays second line like Semin plays, both behind elite/generational players, they are really first line players). They have a lot of good guys. So do we

Bottom six...I would have to think our fourth line gives us an advantage here...as long as the third line doesn't give it back, we clearly should be better here.

So I just don't see it, the hype. St. L has only had this system for less than a year. I think our big forwards dump and chase system will break down low their "keep it to the outside like the Kings" system and the big bodies on all four lines, from King/Nolan to Penner/Kopitar and maybe Carter if he plays like it, along with our guys who play big like Brown, Richards and Fraser, will simply break them down. By game four I think it will be obvious...even if St. L gets a game or two (it happens), once the series passes the halfway point, our guys may be running up and down the ice at will.

But we still have to play this series. Ok, I'm off to watching the game. Again I wonder if anyone else feels similarly as I do.

GKG

- R
.><.
You're a ****ing genius.

Where do I sign up?

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:29 AM
fyrescorp

Dude, you've earned the right to pat yourself on the back and take a bow. Incredibly accurate analysis. Great job.

fyrescorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hrudey View Post
Question to the OP... is your name bassed on the Watchmen character?
Yes, the comic, not the movie

Old
05-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I think this whole thing has been Sutter's idea all along. Big time credit to him...you know he's influencing Lombardi to try King and Nolan instead of signing/trading for old dudes who not only can't cut it, but command more money too.

I can see after this year maybe LAs drafting philosophy changes a bit so that a guy like Weal doesn't get picked or any other undersized guy...no more Hickeys either probably.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I think this whole thing has been Sutter's idea all along. Big time credit to him...you know he's influencing Lombardi to try King and Nolan instead of signing/trading for old dudes who not only can't cut it, but command more money too.

I can see after this year maybe LAs drafting philosophy changes a bit so that a guy like Weal doesn't get picked or any other undersized guy...no more Hickeys either probably.
If there is a change, you'll likely see it follow what the Sharks did in the late 90's and on, when Sutter was coach and DL was GM there. That said, I don;'t think it'll change a lot.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
mbar

Excuse me while I bow down to rorschach

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Just one more guys. This team at last deserves our love and respect, our trust. We win nothing for three. Hope the Kings execute their game plan to a tee.

We may just wind up representing this half of the hockey world to the rest, represent LA, but most importantly represent hockey to the Angelinos.

For our new sisters and brothers, once you go Black, you'll never go back.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Just one more guys. This team at last deserves our love and respect, our trust. We win nothing for three. Hope the Kings execute their game plan to a tee.

We may just wind up representing this half of the hockey world to the rest, represent LA, but most importantly represent hockey to the Angelinos.

For our new sisters and brothers, once you go Black, you'll never go back.
It's an amazing feeling that whenever the Blues score I know the Kings are going to get it right back.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

So, just got home from Staples...enjoyed the entire experience and nothing but...

Then hanging out afterwards I did the calculation with my friend in tow...

Game 1: 3-1 +1 GFD (1 Empty Net)
Game 2: 5-2 +3 GFD
Game 3: 4-2 +2 GFD
Game 4: 3-1 +1 GFD (1 Empty Net)

+7 Goals For Differential
/4 Games

In the final analysis, exactly as predicted (+1.5 to +1.75). Even I'm a bit weirded out now since hockey is a lot about bounces plus who is hot or not.

You know, originally I made this post to gather a few like-minded confident people, fellow Kings fans, so that we could bolster the confidence of Kings fans here on the boards...get rid of all of the fears, over-respect and bad feelings generated by media hype about how bad we're going to lose to these Blues after we significantly upgraded our roster, played our way hot into the playoffs, beat the Blues in the regular season, beat down the better team in Vancouver and then still didn't get the respect we deserved. I didn't care about the respect from others; I knew we would earn that...I only cared that our own guys/gals believed.

We have enormous potential and we have the heart to meet that potential. Woe to whomever draws us. Every team who gets to the conference finals needs to be respected but our team, maybe we need to be feared.

- R
.><.