HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torres to Appeal Suspension

Old
05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Torres to Appeal Suspension

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Raffi Torres and the NHLPA are appealing his 25-game suspension.
Uh, wow.

Last edited by Majik1987: 05-15-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: banned source - don't post quotes because link doesn't work
BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

not too worried about what goes on with Torres, just want Hossa to be back for next season

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 123
Here's how the meeting will go.

Torres: Mr. Bettman, I'd like to appeal my suspension.
Bettman: lolno, go back to the golf course, buddy.
Torres: But....
Bettman: Or catch up on your French.
Torres: Wait.... what?
Bettman: *trollface*

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Goes to show how much of a meathead this guy is, he thinks he did nothing wrong. Bettman should just kick him out of the league, he clearly hasn't and never will get it.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Goes to show how much of a meathead this guy is, he thinks he did nothing wrong. Bettman should just kick him out of the league, he clearly hasn't and never will get it.
Your Meathead Burgers meathead of the game, not just the game, the entire season, is Raffi Torres!

Notice my Wolves reference.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:02 PM
sedag

Shanahan should hear his appeal then give him 5 more.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Take it easy with the overreactions.

Torres is appealing for the suspension to be shorter, not for the suspension to be cut off immediately.

Any pro player in any sport would do the same. Looking out for one's own best interests - it's quite a simple concept.

He won't win the appeal anyway, so it's largely immaterial. You can't exactly blame him for trying.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
sedag

For the record my overreaction was a joke as it suggests what is in all likelihood an impossibility.

Convicted murderers appeal rulings. It's standard operating procedure. But yes I agree the 25 will likely stand. Torre's suspension video was almost "30 for 30" long in order to show all of his past transgressions.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

yeah, then the team moves to Louisiana

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

need that as GIF with pictures... anybody please do it

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Blackhawksgrl65

For guys like Torres, appeals should be banned. You know what you are going to do when you hit guys like that, so his appeal is unnecessary.

Blackhawksgrl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawksgrl65 View Post
For guys like Torres, appeals should be banned. You know what you are going to do when you hit guys like that, so his appeal is unnecessary.
Appeals should never be banned simply because one does not like the offending player. They should be and are an option for any player who gets suspended by the league.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:25 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Take it easy with the overreactions.

Torres is appealing for the suspension to be shorter, not for the suspension to be cut off immediately.

Any pro player in any sport would do the same. Looking out for one's own best interests - it's quite a simple concept.

He won't win the appeal anyway, so it's largely immaterial. You can't exactly blame him for trying.
How often do you hear about a guy appealing a suspension ~2 weeks after it was announced? He waited for the heat to die down plain and simple. NHL should increase the length.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
How often do you hear about a guy appealing a suspension ~2 weeks after it was announced? He waited for the heat to die down plain and simple. NHL should increase the length.
TRUTH! In hockey players rarely appeal suspensions. Keith didn't and I don't remember hearing others have too often.

Torres did it because in his words he felt he did nothing wrong and it was a hockey play. As the video shows according to Torres a hockey play includes blindeside head shots for everyone and before he kills someone he should just be banned.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Increase the length? His suspension was so insanely out of whack with what the league has handed out all year that anything more would be laughable.

Neal made two concurrent headshots that were pretty similar and only got 1 game.

I am not a fan of Torres, but with perspective and a few weeks to cool down his suspension is a complete and total outlier.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:28 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Increase the length? His suspension was so insanely out of whack with what the league has handed out all year that anything more would be laughable.

Neal made two concurrent headshots that were pretty similar and only got 1 game.

I am not a fan of Torres, but with perspective and a few weeks to cool down his suspension is a complete and total outlier.
His history of dirty hits and suspensions is a complete and total outlier as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...t-history.html

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
His history of dirty hits and suspensions is a complete and total outlier as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...t-history.html
This. The punishment fit the crime when you have the history of Torres. They NHL has shown they aren't waiting for him to end someone's career with another headshot before hammering him with a lengthy suspension. TBD if this suspension will change the way the guy plays the game.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Yeah, the other suspensions handed out this year have nothing to do with Torres. Cooke is the only comparable to Torres and his last suspension was pretty rough, enough to get him to clean up his act. I'm sure the NHL sees that and wants the same from Torres.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

His suspension for 25 games was by far the longest this year... based on precedent, he deserved it.

But the length itself makes appealing for a shorter length quite reasonable.
Why is this so difficult to accept? I get that we're all Hawks fans here, but have a little perspective.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
His suspension for 25 games was by far the longest this year... based on precedent, he deserved it.

But the length itself makes appealing for a shorter length quite reasonable.
Why is this so difficult to accept? I get that we're all Hawks fans here, but have a little perspective.
No one is saying he can't, I am saying him doing so shows he doesn't get it.

Matt Cooke not only didn't appeal his suspension but promised to change his game and he has. Torres on the other hand thinks he did nothing wrong, says he won't change, and feels he was unfairly punished.

That to me is dangerous, a guy running around almost killing people by cheap hits vowing not to change and not realizing his hits are illegal and dangerous.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
No one is saying he can't, I am saying him doing so shows he doesn't get it.

Matt Cooke not only didn't appeal his suspension but promised to change his game and he has. Torres on the other hand thinks he did nothing wrong, says he won't change, and feels he was unfairly punished.

That to me is dangerous, a guy running around almost killing people by cheap hits vowing not to change and not realizing his hits are illegal and dangerous.
If Torres didn't get it, then he'd be appealing for his suspension to end immediately.

He's looking out for himself. If you have a chance to reduce your own punishment, you take it... especially when that punishment was as sizable as it was.
He simply is looking for a few games to be taken off of the 25. It's not earth-shattering, nor does it somehow mean he "doesn't get it."

After the Hossa hit, when has Torres ever said that he absolutely doesn't plan to change his game? It's a serious question - I haven't been paying attention to it very much lately, so if he said something, I missed it.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
If Torres didn't get it, then he'd be appealing for his suspension to end immediately.

He's looking out for himself. If you have a chance to reduce your own punishment, you take it... especially when that punishment was as sizable as it was.
He simply is looking for a few games to be taken off of the 25. It's not earth-shattering, nor does it somehow mean he "doesn't get it."

After the Hossa hit, when has Torres ever said that he absolutely doesn't plan to change his game? It's a serious question - I haven't been paying attention to it very much lately, so if he said something, I missed it.
I never heard him say he wouldn't change his game. However, he did say basically he didn't see what the problem with the hit was...that it was a hockey hit and hasn't said anything to suggest he thinks the hit was wrong.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Any more updates on Hossa?

Torres hearing is set for Thursday:

Quote:
Raffi Torres is scheduled to have a hearing Thursday for the appeal of his 25-game suspension for his leaping headshot on Blackhawks star winger Marian Hossa, according to a report.

Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet.ca in Canada reported Tuesday that Torres is scheduled to meet with the NHL about the length of the suspension for his hit on Hossa in Game 3 of the Hawks' first-round series with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Torres not expected to challenge the suspension itself, according to the report. The NHL Players' Association and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman will be in attendance at the meeting.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks...ppeal_set.html

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote