HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dougie Hamilton - OHL Defenseman of the Year

Old
05-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
No you said he reminds you of Franson with a "bit" higher offensive ceiling.

Glad to see you've come around on that one though.
I was probably drunk or something He has a much higher ceiling than Franson. Hopefully he reaches it.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Really wish Ottawa had taken him. We need Hamilton in our system way more then we need Zibanejad..

Hamilton - Karlsson pairing would be amazing!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'll take Hamilton and Seguin over Kessel every day of the season and then after when we play flag football. Just saying.
It's people like you that just...ughh...

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
*looks at your dp*

Would you take Beauchemin or Gardiner, Lupul and a 4th? Just saying.

See what I did there. Not fun being on the other side is it? You win some, you lose some, you get bent over in some. Bruins got bent over for Thornton (in the end it worked out as losing him freed up cap space that led to a cup) but for years it was onesided. Anaheim got bent over in the Beauchemin trade but it's funny because Kessel had 37 goals this year and was 6th in points. You do typically overpay for guys like that. Hamilton hasn't proven anything, Seguin has, I'll give you that but it's doubtful we even draft Hamilton for many reasons. Without Kessel, we finish worse and I don't think Hamilton was ranked too high was he?

Never seen a trade talked about so much. You want to talk about a bad Boston/Toronto trade, Rask for Raycroft was much, much worse and no one brings it up. What did we get out of it? We atleast got something valuable in this trade. We basicly gave a rival Rask for absolutely nothing.
I get the overall jist of your post, but to say the Ducks got "bent over" is a tad bit of an oversight. Sure Gardiner is an absolute stud and Lupul had a career year, but Beauch played 25+ mins for the Ducks on the backend, on a team that was supposed to compete. Trading away Lupul who at the time was not producing aka a salary dump, and Gardiner (who was a stud then, but when you have Sbisa/Fowler/Schultz who were/are close to playing in the NHL, Gardiner was an expendable asset to get that minute eating top pairing d man. They were also a team with great pieces who were supposed to compete, clearly if they knew how they were going to finish they wouldnt have made the trade.

Obviously the Leafs got the clear victory on this deal in terms of value, but I'm not so sure "bent over" is the right way to say it. Just my two cents.

And why wouldnt you have drafted Hamilton? People wouldnt have batted an eyelash if a team took him before Larsson at four, he was pretty highly touted. It took a LOT of luck to get Hamilton to drop, and at 8 when I realized we were going to get Courtier/Hamilton, I was astounded (I was hoping for Courtier btw).

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
BronxBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Really wish Ottawa had taken him. We need Hamilton in our system way more then we need Zibanejad..

Hamilton - Karlsson pairing would be amazing!
Don't forget that the Sens also had Rundblad in the stable at the time of the draft so D was less of a priority. With that said, Z is looking like a solid prospect and a potential replacement for Alfie down the line. Hard to say at this juncture that Ottawa (or really any teams picking ahead of Boston) are regretting the picks they went with...though the B's couldn't be happier that they got Hamilton since he is the top notch D prospect they have been missing for many years.

BronxBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
And why wouldnt you have drafted Hamilton? People wouldnt have batted an eyelash if a team took him before Larsson at four, he was pretty highly touted. It took a LOT of luck to get Hamilton to drop, and at 8 when I realized we were going to get Courtier/Hamilton, I was astounded (I was hoping for Courtier btw).
Okay we might not have then. I mean who knows? Everyone always talks about these rankings but every team has very different rankings after the top 3. Leafs could have made a different big trade and got somebody totally different than Kessel which would have changed their finish. I mean there is so many "what ifs" no one can really say they would have drafted Hamilton, it isn't near as obvious as finishing bottom 2. No one can argue that Leafs would not have drafted Seguin or Hall (depending on their finish) but at 6th-10th or whatever it's really anyones guess.

As for the Beauchemin deal, if Leafs got bent over for Kessel or easily lost than so did Anaheim. Yes, Loops was considered a salary dump but remember how bad Beauchemin was with us? He was actually our whipping boy who turned the puck over nonstop. Lupul was 6th in points league wide before he got hurt while Gardiner was very good as a rookie. Plus they still get a draft pick.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Rude Dog

Where do you think Hamilton would go in this years draft? With all the talk of Murray, Dumba etc. it would be interesting where he would rank. Given his height and all round game, I would take him over the D this year in a heartbeat I would think. I wonder if Edmonton would have even taken him first over-all? He would have been perfect for that team. Thoughts?

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:45 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
Where do you think Hamilton would go in this years draft? With all the talk of Murray, Dumba etc. it would be interesting where he would rank. Given his height and all round game, I would take him over the D this year in a heartbeat I would think. I wonder if Edmonton would have even taken him first over-all? He would have been perfect for that team. Thoughts?
I would take him over those guys without blinking. I like him much better as a prospect then really anyone in this draft.

He just scored the winning goal in double overtime of game one.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:49 PM
SignThornton
BEAST MODE

Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I would take him over those guys without blinking. I like him much better as a prospect then really anyone in this draft.

Oh yeah!!

SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:49 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin View Post
though the B's couldn't be happier that they got Hamilton since he is the top notch D prospect they have been missing for many years.
Yea I'm envious. I hate the Bruins (requirement of being a Canuck fan)... But you have to recognize the fantastic position that organization is in for years to come. Cup winning core, young players in their prime throughout, and they've got a top young prospect/player they can build with in Seguin and Hamilton - in 2 key positions.

And got them both from one trade that let them trade a top young talent because they had several more such players.

Damn Kessel, Burke, and the entire Boston Bruins!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:33 AM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

And added two helpers :-)

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Okay we might not have then. I mean who knows? Everyone always talks about these rankings but every team has very different rankings after the top 3. Leafs could have made a different big trade and got somebody totally different than Kessel which would have changed their finish. I mean there is so many "what ifs" no one can really say they would have drafted Hamilton, it isn't near as obvious as finishing bottom 2. No one can argue that Leafs would not have drafted Seguin or Hall (depending on their finish) but at 6th-10th or whatever it's really anyones guess.

As for the Beauchemin deal, if Leafs got bent over for Kessel or easily lost than so did Anaheim. Yes, Loops was considered a salary dump but remember how bad Beauchemin was with us? He was actually our whipping boy who turned the puck over nonstop. Lupul was 6th in points league wide before he got hurt while Gardiner was very good as a rookie. Plus they still get a draft pick.
I think with the benefit of hindsight both teams lost handily, clearly Burke wouldnt have done the deal if he knew the picks were going to be #2 and #9, and I'm not sure Anaheim would have done the deal either. At the time of both deals however I could see why all parties would execute such deals.

You're right about rankings, hell look at the Jets, they took Schiefle at seven who I didnt even think would sniff the top 10. That allowed us to get Hamilton instead of Murphy I'm assuming. All I'm saying is, Hamilton was seen as a very highly touted prospect, and teams wouldnt have been floored if Hamilton was taken ahead of Larsson.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
After a year like this I'd be surprised if he wasnt the first defensman taken, hes been that good. Frankly it depends on if a team wants a forward or D man, but IMO hed go ahead of Murray/Dumba etc.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
After a year like this I'd be surprised if he wasnt the first defensman taken, hes been that good. Frankly it depends on if a team wants a forward or D man, but IMO hed go ahead of Murray/Dumba etc.
Dougie might go #2 overall this year to CBJ if he was in it, seems like they demanded him as part of the Nash deal at the deadline

and Dougie's GWG:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...3852e32de229fc

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
He'll probably be replacing Corvo on the Bruins next season.
I wonder how well he'll adjust to the big leagues, his style is effective in juniors but one has to question if it will be successful in the NHL. It should be a fun ride either way and I'm sure a smart guy like Dougie will start to adjust immediately.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUhockey View Post
I wonder how well he'll adjust to the big leagues, his style is effective in juniors but one has to question if it will be successful in the NHL. It should be a fun ride either way and I'm sure a smart guy like Dougie will start to adjust immediately.
The good thing for Hamilton is that they can ease him in on the bottom pairing, or they can pair him with a guy like Seidenberg right off the bat to cover up any flaws in his game. He's simply not going to be asked to carry a defensive pair with Boston.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
JKsilverstick*

Very impressive, but you have to wonder how much of that can be attributed to being on the best team in the OHL with so many offensive players, especially considering the percentage of his points that came on the powerplay.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Very impressive, but you have to wonder how much of that can be attributed to being on the best team in the OHL with so many offensive players, especially considering the percentage of his points that came on the powerplay.
The funny thing is that he's playing against Jared Knight who was the other draft pick from the Kessel trade.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
The funny thing is that he's playing against Jared Knight who was the other draft pick from the Kessel trade.
I`m not sure why you quoted me or why that is relevant at all.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
birddog*

Dougie 'Orr' Hamilton. This could will be almost as good as Tyler Seguin.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Every team has a prospect like Jared Knight. The Leafs have one, his name is Sam Carrick.

Anyways, Dougie Hamilton appears to be well on his way to being a quality NHL defenseman, maybe even a top pairing one.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
birddog*

Quote:
When do you think the 20 year old Jared will start playing against men instead of 15 year old boys?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
When do you think the 20 year old Jared will start playing against men instead of 15 year old boys?
Oh please, stop being bitter. No one claims Knight will be a first line player, but 2nd/3rd line is certainly in the question. He was merely stating that Dougie is playing Jared.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Swift View Post
Every team has a prospect like Jared Knight. The Leafs have one, his name is Sam Carrick.

Anyways, Dougie Hamilton appears to be well on his way to being a quality NHL defenseman, maybe even a top pairing one.
No, your 5th round pick in the same draft does not have the same value as Carrick, despite you thinking Knights PPG and Carricks PPG make him the same player.

You're correct though, a lot of teams if not all teams have 2nd/3rd line projects like Knight.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
No, your 5th round pick in the same draft does not have the same value as Carrick, despite you thinking Knights PPG and Carricks PPG make him the same player.

You're correct though, a lot of teams if not all teams have 2nd/3rd line projects like Knight.
Knight played with Kadri in his draft year and STILL hasn't matched his goal total from that year, despite being 2 years older.

Knight plays on a perennially offensive Knights team.

Carrick plays on one of the lowest scoring teams in the OHL.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote