HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign André Bouvet-Morrissette to try-out

Old
05-04-2012, 09:19 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
this is true, but even if they get one servicable player in 10 by doing this, it's woth the effort. And it quiets the press down.
And they did. David Desharnais. Who alone makes the whole effort worth it. But that's an extreme case of success. I think hoping for one in ten is very optimistic.

In the vast majority of cases, the guys will be tried out then quietly sent back, or tried out and quietly sent to the ECHL.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm not talking about drafting these guys like Lats, Leblanc.

More like an "open tryout" concept that brought in St-Denis, Desjardins, Desharnais. Scour the area, maybe a few become pros. But the optics of it help the team calm the crazed media a bit.

I am not one to push to draft more francophones just for the sake of it. Draft the best possible player, but the invites idea is a good way to go

And I know they've done this at times, not every year, but close to it. But no harm in doing it more.
Even if you remove LeBlanc and lats you still have 20 Quebecers traded for, drafted or signed recently plus Pouliot and Benoit from Franco Ontario.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:21 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gauthier definitely made mistakes but he still left a good situation for Bergevin. Didn't trade away any picks, prospects or core players and added some good young assets during his reign...traded up for Tinordi, Eller, Schultz, Holland, 2012 2nd 2x 2013 2nd
Y'know, I was thinking about how everyone hates Gauthier and it occured to me that before he melted down this season, he really didn't do anything horrible. Even the 2011 offseason was a success (see: Cole, Erik).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
And they did. David Desharnais. Who alone makes the whole effort worth it. But that's an extreme case of success. I think hoping for one in ten is very optimistic.

In the vast majority of cases, the guys will be tried out then quietly sent back, or tried out and quietly sent to the ECHL.
I realize this and am VERY aware they've been doing this tactic for quite some time. And 1 in 10 is optimistic. But it's still a good PR move.

And if there are more scouts in Quebec, it becomes easier to pick out the one/ones who should get the invite or have the stuff to become pros, even if it is just Minor Leaguers. Again, good PR.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Andy

Quote:
Y'know, I was thinking about how everyone hates Gauthier and it occured to me that before he melted down this season, he really didn't do anything horrible. Even the 2011 offseason was a success (see: Cole, Erik).
Be careful what you say, you'll be accused of being an apologist.

Gauthier wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. And note that is different from saying he was great. He gambled on Markov and lost. They didn't expect Markov to be out as long and didn't sign a replacement as a result. Led to a bad start and then some panicing. Oh well.

As far as invites. The habs already send 2-3 invites per year, it's not anything new.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:42 AM
mlandry

Quote:
He wasn't terrible IMO... it's just the attitude, the way he approached things (trade mid-game, etc). Plus, the moves he made during this season I mostly disliked.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:59 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Too funny, only on Habs board do I ask a simple question if anybody has seen a player we have invited to a try-out, turns into PG bashing, not enough Francos drafted, ... etc.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
He wasn't terrible IMO... it's just the attitude, the way he approached things (trade mid-game, etc). Plus, the moves he made during this season I mostly disliked.
My beef with PG was his lousy people skills eg how trades and firings were done, lack of vocal support for people etc. As to players and such, he got it that the team needed to add size and toughen up and brought in players like Cole ( only GM in last 30 years to go out and get the power forward we have needed, poor Koivu ), Blunden, Staubitz. Yes there is the panick move of Kaberle, which I didnt like because I was prepared to let the season slide instead of getting a patch, PG wasnt. So the player moves to me were pretty good overall, but the other stuff was so bad he had to go.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Artie

Quote:
Too funny, only on Habs board do I ask a simple question if anybody has seen a player we have invited to a try-out, turns into PG bashing, not enough Francos drafted, ... etc.
that'll teach you!

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Where does he bring "outside the box" thinking?

Gauthier definitely made mistakes but he still left a good situation for Bergevin. Didn't trade away any picks, prospects or core players and added some good young assets during his reign...traded up for Tinordi, Eller, Schultz, Holland, 2012 2nd 2x 2013 2nd
He would have left us in an even better situation if he hadn't acquired Kaberle

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He would have left us in an even better situation if he hadn't acquired Kaberle
Still not a move that is classified as "terrible". We got him for nothing and he played much better here than in Carolina, biggest problem is we never had a solid stay at home d-man for him to play with.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Still not a move that is classified as "terrible". We got him for nothing and he played much better here than in Carolina, biggest problem is we never had a solid stay at home d-man for him to play with.
which is now Bergevin's problem to sort out. Maybe he goes and gets Hjalmarsson?

but Kaberle isn't an issue on a 3rd pair with a shutdown guy and with 2nd line PP time.

His cap is a little higher, but he isn't un-moveable as some here would tell us

Old
05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
which is now Bergevin's problem to sort out. Maybe he goes and gets Hjalmarsson?

but Kaberle isn't an issue on a 3rd pair with a shutdown guy and with 2nd line PP time.

His cap is a little higher, but he isn't un-moveable as some here would tell us
That's the problem, you think he isn't unmovable but at the same time agree that he is a 3rd pairing D. Why the hell would you trade for a #6 type of guy making 4.25 for another 2 years?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's the problem, you think he isn't unmovable but at the same time agree that he is a 3rd pairing D. Why the hell would you trade for a #6 type of guy making 4.25 for another 2 years?
He's a 3rd pairing guy for us.

someone else may want him on their 2nd pair. Look, he isn't as horrible as you want to believe. He has his weaknesses, but teams like the Islanders would gladly take him.

Then there is always the waiver wire to sort out any cap issues if he is so unmovable

Old
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
At one point, to be a REAL succesful team, you need a GM that has to be MORE than "not terrible". I know, we had to lower our expectations big time with the past 2 GM's but come on...how about aiming for somebody very good?

Then, in the meltdown category, I've rarely seen that kind of meltdown ever. This was pathetic and totally not what the Montreal Canadiens are all about. That team became the laughingstock of the league with him on board.

So if his best was "not terrible", you add the past year, you add the fact that he was in the organization as the right hand man and our head of pro scouting for the Gainey days, you add that perception is reality and that when you don't win, whether it's deserving or not, the management will often pay the price more than the players....and are people still trying to justify that he was fine after all? Can't wait to see him get a job soon, I mean he is availble now, teams should be all over this guy for their next GM....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

On the subject, while I am pro Q (and pro-Michigan...), Habs have done it in the past. Yet, YES, Bergevin will get the credit....Why? 'Cause the guy was just hired 2 freakin days ago and already makes a move in the direction he says he'll be heading. What's the problem?

But the Habs already had their Q combine. Timmins is already visiting a lot of Quebec rinks. Timmins does invite some Q players (don't always agree with the names, but he does invite the players anyway) and so on.....Yet, nobody knows that...Why? Not the fans freakin fault if Gainey and Gauthier made a piss poor job of protecting their head scout by telling what's REALLY happening. At one point, I expect Bergevin to really come to Timmins defense as far as the local content is all about. As of now, Bergevin, and HE WAS TOTALLY RIGHT, mentioned that we need to be more present. Not throwing Timmins under the bus for saying it, that wasn't Timmins call but Gauthier and Gainey. But now, he'll have to explain to people that Timmins is sensitive to the issue and that he is present in the rinks. I'm expecting to hear that soon.

And at one point, to stop the Claude Giroux madness, I would expect Timmins to come out and say that this was indeed an evaluation mistake. And based on what he told me at the camp after that draft, it was CLEARLY a mistake. Add the LOVE for that US scout for Fischer, and clearly that was a 1st round that turned badly. But by being as secret as we were before, this was not helping. You did sense that neither of our 2 past GM's cared that much for local talent and that the only moves in that regard was made to shut up people and not because they actually really cared about Desharnais and Co. Now, Bergevin will most likely continiue on that route and surely add a few things but then, the perception will be that it's because he cares. When an organization is that secretive, perception kicks in. That's THEIR problem. Not anybody's else.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
ECHL or depth player in AHL next year. Going by his stats

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:26 AM

From what I've seen, Bouvet-Morrissette is a pretty complete player. He works hard and is always dangerous offensively. Great wrist shot and uses his body well. Very responsible defensively as well.

The guy we should be aiming though is Alexandre Mallet. If the Habs do not get this guy then I will be highly dissapointed. No reason not to sign him.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know. They did this with Desharnais. But they could try to invite at least one every year.
They have a seperate combine for Quebec players and players in the greater QMJHL region(some US states included).

Someone already mentioned it but it's good. Local talent is never a bad thing. These guys are extras and not really any pick used for them. I see no harm in giving them a tryout.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
They have a seperate combine for Quebec players and players in the greater QMJHL region(some US states included).

Someone already mentioned it but it's good. Local talent is never a bad thing. These guys are extras and not really any pick used for them. I see no harm in giving them a tryout.
That's the gist of what I was getting at

Old
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
From what I've seen, Bouvet-Morrissette is a pretty complete player. He works hard and is always dangerous offensively. Great wrist shot and uses his body well. Very responsible defensively as well.

The guy we should be aiming though is Alexandre Mallet. If the Habs do not get this guy then I will be highly dissapointed. No reason not to sign him.
What the hell happened with that guy ? 19 pts last season and 81 this year.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
habitue*

Alexandre Mallet in Rimouski should be on their list too...

Another big guy who progressed tremendously in the last season.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

On the player himself, he needs some serious first steps improvement and overall skating.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Protest the Hero

Mallet is re-entering the draft unfortunately.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Mallet is re-entering the draft unfortunately.
Any idea where he'll go? We could get him with a late round pick maybe.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote