HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chesnokov: Petrov signs with KHL

Old
05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Im disappointed... but reading some not all but some fan comments .... seriously?

Islander fans need to relax. Enjoy the warm weather. Go on a vacation. Try some fishing or golf. Go for a drive even....

You would think that Snow blew a 1st overall pick on the next Malkin or Ovechkin and he just flipped us the bird to stay in Russia....

He was the last of THREE 3rd round picks in a year where we had 13 total picks.

He may be a nice kid. he may want to stay close to family. Frankly, it is not like he is a world class star in Russia. He had 29pts in 52 games this past season. We are not talking about a 100pt producer here.

A little perspective.

It would have been nice to get him under an entry level deal, but I don't think this is a personal "snub" or anything having to do with his desire to play for the Islanders vs another NHL team. If he was so hot to play in the NHL, but did not want to play for the Islanders, he would have asked for a trade. Instead, he simply decided to re-sign with his current deal.

Im not losing any sleep over it. — Sorry. We have much bigger issues.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

While it seemed the time for him, just imagine if he spends the next two seasons putting up 40-55 points and THEN comes over as a 23-24 year old with all that experience and a real pro body.

We may have to wait, but it could really end up being worth it when the time comes!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:28 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
While it seemed the time for him, just imagine if he spends the next two seasons putting up 40-55 points and THEN comes over as a 23-24 year old with all that experience and a real pro body.

We may have to wait, but it could really end up being worth it when the time comes!
I was pissed this morning but had a day to ponder it. Well not the whole day, maybe a few minutes here and there.

If he is a power forward, let him mature in the KHL, God knows the Isles just mess up any power forward type in our system. Matt Martin being the one recent exception.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
And now we can literally put this BABY to bed
PLEASE, I'm sick of everyone drooling over this guy already. He is not and was never the saviour everyone made him out to be.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:40 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
at least we still have kabanov!....wait....****

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
PLEASE, I'm sick of everyone drooling over this guy already. He is not and was never the saviour everyone made him out to be.
The sexy unknown is so appealing...yet, we don't embrace the players that are actually in Bridgeport, showing real promise (like deHaan, Donovan, Rakhshani, Cizikas, Ullstrom)

such is life.

If management was competent and Wang invested cap-floor DOLLARS (not cap-space), the Islanders could be a good team - then we wouldn't give a crap about Petrov and wouldn't chase dreams of Cody Rosen and Corey Trivino.

But, in the end, being a fan is reduced to positive thinking:

Last edited by redbull: 05-03-2012 at 08:14 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
he is top 6 in Ak Bars, average TOI 14:28
Not the previous years. This year was the same until the trade. Regardless, he needs top line time at the Bridge, with trainers looking out for his best interests and the carrot of playing in the NHL.

IMO, he is throwing his long term goal of being a top 6 NHL player away with this move.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Not the previous years. This year was the same until the trade. Regardless, he needs top line time at the Bridge, with trainers looking out for his best interests and the carrot of playing in the NHL.

IMO, he is throwing his long term goal of being a top 6 NHL player away with this move.
Lets not assume he wants to play in the NHL, whatever he may say in the media.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Somewhere in South Korea, leaponover is going insane right now, Bluechipbonzo is contemplating suicide and I'm just...very dissapointed.
OMG!! Just saw this, yes I am going INSANE!!! WTF!! I know this wasn't totally in Snow's control because he still has to make the decision but not even a {MOD EDIT} comment from Snow? This is why I said work fast!! Ughh, where's the Swedish guy who said no hurry?

Well, the only good thing is we didn't waste a high draft pick on him but this is truly some BS and now I can say let the ***** waste away in the KHL and be careful on the plane rides...

****ok, read the rest of the comments and I get the sick mother thing, BUT is it weird for me to want to know what we are talking about here? Is she on her death bed? Is she sick with the hopes of getting better? Is this a lingering disease where he may never leave? Did anyone tell him how good health care is in the states?

Seriously though, what is she sick with?

Last edited by Homeland Security: 05-03-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Let the filter do it job.
leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Lets not assume he wants to play in the NHL, whatever he may say in the media.
You are missing the definition of an assumption. Assumption is making a determination by guessing with no real facts. In this case, we have the factual statement of him saying it is his dream to play in the NHL.

I think what you are trying to say is, "don't assume he's telling the truth" which is completely jaded and not something most people practice. You may still be right but don't call people thinking he wants to play in the NHL an "assumption"

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
you are right to be suspicious about this organization. It's like dating a former prostitute, you have to worry a little bit when she says she "needs to work late tonight" - some EARN the benefit of the doubt, some don't.

I don't find this too complex. Petrov's better off in the KHL right now, it's the right move. He makes more money, plays more minutes, stays close to home (I'm sure his mother being ill is a factor as well) - better than riding the bus in the AHL.

I'm not convinced his development is suffering. He doesn't play 4th line minutes in Russia anymore. He used to, but this past year he played top six minutes, played PP, got some points too. The KHL is a league that's probably on par with the AHL, albeit different styles of play I imagine.

On whether he comes over, ever, I agree - drafting Russian players when there's a viable alternative league in Russia is risky - which is why we've seen so many Russians drop in recent drafts. This year, with the top THREE players in the draft being Russian - we shall see where these guys eventually get picked. They all played in the CHL, which is probably a significant factor for those three. Outside those elites, I suspect the Russian factor will result in several players dropping down the draft order on draft day.
Here's where I have to disagree. He's been playing a bait and switch game since before he was drafted. Think about more than just now, but the last 4 years. There was zero hint he signed with a KHL club, then we draft him, then magically he whips out this small contract with the old Super league. Then when that league dissolves his contract gets mysteriously extended to a KHL squad for another 3 years. Hmmm, it's getting suspicious here. Those 4 years all he does is profess love for the NHL while we hear possible complaints about his 5 minutes of ice time, if he is even allowed to play. How many years of his vital development time were completely lost forever? Too many. "I want to play there," he says between grumping about not playing several games in a row.

Now, he knows he has to go through the ELC phase, that never changes, ever, yet that is always the last second surprise he springs, that it is too little money. Fast forward to now - we get all these love notes from his agent and him, yet less than a week after his old contract terminates he is signed by a KHL squad again? I don't know how to say this politely, but something just smells wrong about this entire situation.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:56 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Here's where I have to disagree. He's been playing a bait and switch game since before he was drafted. Think about more than just now, but the last 4 years. There was zero hint he signed with a KHL club, then we draft him, then magically he whips out this small contract with the old Super league. Then when that league dissolves his contract gets mysteriously extended to a KHL squad for another 3 years. Hmmm, it's getting suspicious here. Those 4 years all he does is profess love for the NHL while we hear possible complaints about his 5 minutes of ice time, if he is even allowed to play. How many years of his vital development time were completely lost forever? Too many. "I want to play there," he says between grumping about not playing several games in a row.

Now, he knows he has to go through the ELC phase, that never changes, ever, yet that is always the last second surprise he springs, that it is too little money. Fast forward to now - we get all these love notes from his agent and him, yet less than a week after his old contract terminates he is signed by a KHL squad again? I don't know how to say this politely, but something just smells wrong about this entire situation.
what smells wrong is the country of russia. it is one of the most corrupt places in the world.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:31 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
what smells wrong is the country of russia. it is one of the most corrupt places in the world.
When the president of the country has reporters killed (literally) for reporting against him/his interests, I'd say I would agree.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:52 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
what does it have to do with his decision?

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:27 AM
IslesNorway

Can't fault the kid for wanting to be close to him mom while she is ill and there's still plenty of time for him to come over once his new contract is finished.

In two years time, does he still have to sign an ELC or can the Isles offer him whatever he's asking? If the latter is the case I think we have our answerof what might happen

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:11 AM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
This is indeed disappointing, but I honestly had forgotten all about Petrov since the last time we had a major discussion about his contract (before this past season started). Therefore, I really hope that Garth/Wang have not been having him in their plans for the future of this team as he was and will never be a guarantee to ever come here. It's disappointing, but like someone in this thread previously mentioned, it was only a 3rd round pick, not like a 1st or 2nd. I won't lost any more sleep over it than I will over everything else wrong with this team, and the fact that I also have to deal with the Mets and college finals.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:48 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
what does it have to do with his decision?
no one would ever be able to confirm that it was his decision. no one knows the inner workings of any decision in that lawless land.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:00 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
It's disappointing, but like someone in this thread previously mentioned, it was only a 3rd round pick, not like a 1st or 2nd. I won't lost any more sleep over it than I will over everything else wrong with this team, and the fact that I also have to deal with the Mets and college finals.
Agreed, this situation is exactly why Petrov and his "high first round" talent slipped well into the 3rd round. It would have been interesting to see him in the NHL, but now it ain't gonna happen for awhile (if ever) and I won't be shedding any tears. Most 3rd round picks barely get to sniff the NHL ice, so spending one on a kid with legit impact potential is a worthy gamble even if you might not be able to lure him over.

05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Chardo

And what if mom dies?

Don't mean to be callous, but it's a valid question.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
And what if mom dies?

Don't mean to be callous, but it's a valid question.
I don't know if theres a way to ask this question without being callous...

I would guess mourn, take stock of his life and move on from there... im sure he wouldn't be terribly unhappy staying in his home country to play, but he says his dream is to play in the NHL so IDK... but when stuff like this comes into play it should be family first, as he is putting it

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Ah, well that completely clears it up.

Quick question for anyone, as I'm not up on the RUS-NHL thing: Do the Isles retain his rights indefinitely as long as he's in Russia/KHL or is there a time limit like with other prospects?
Indefinitely - of course that is subject to change in the next CBA.

The current CBA limited draft rights for Euros to two years - as long as there was an IIHF transfer agreement in place. It retained all the Defected Player and Group IV free agency terms of the old (pre-lockout) CBA - but a separate letter agreement suspended those terms if there was an IIHF agreement in place. After the IIHF agreement lapsed, the NHL reverted back to the old rules for countries without a PTA. The NHLPA filed a grievance, but an arbiter upheld the League's position.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:50 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
He obviously has a good head on his shoulders. I don't believe that Russian mob crap. If he ever comes over I will welcome him with open arms, a player who chooses family first will bring the same attitude around him with life. Where I'm going with this is I think he would be a team player and loyal to his teammates and the franchise that drafted him, unlike some other Russians.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
dnice023

This is not the end of the world. You have to feel for this kid with a ill mother. He only signed for another yr. Lets hope he matures more and is more developed when he does come here.

dnice023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Guys lets look on the bright side he spends 2 more years developing in the KHL

We dont like it when Garth rushes prospects

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote