HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Fans Headed to DC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 11:51 AM
  #76
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post
My sis just got us tickets for game 4 (Section 115)! So hyped!

Have you guys been to the Verizon Center before? I have family there and I have to admit they have a very intense fanbase. I didn't meet any creeps or anything but I was honestly a little shocked by how intense, numerous the Caps fans were. I think someone already mentioned this, but it really is a Sea of Red.
I can't imagine the 100's are as bad as the poeple in the 400's. Annoying and know it all's at least. When we went to the playoff game a couple seasons ago when Varly started his first game for the Caps not one Caps fan around us (400s) knew who their goalie was or how to say his name... really?

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  #77
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finger11 View Post
I can't imagine the 100's are as bad as the poeple in the 400's. Annoying and know it all's at least. When we went to the playoff game a couple seasons ago when Varly started his first game for the Caps not one Caps fan around us (400s) knew who their goalie was or how to say his name... really?
my worst verizon center experience was in the 100s for game 5 in 2009.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
  #78
bigbluebird
Registered User
 
bigbluebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hiding in PlainSight
Country: United States
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Honestly, don't care tho. I'm preparing for it, lol. Nothing will kill the buzz of my first playoff Rangers game.

Also, yeah, excited about the seats. I'm a grad student so no way in hell I could have afforded them on my own, but my sister works at a law firm full of Capitals fans. I knew big sis was good for something.

Last time I went, I was also around the same area, maybe a little higher. (Same deal with work tickets). The fans were really pleasant/chatty to me, but A) it was a regular season game B) not to bring race in to it, but I am black and my dad (who was with me) is a huge, built black guy, so they probably weren't trying to talk any mess lol.

With just me and my sis, it might be a little different, but we'll see. ahaha.


ETA: I'll be spending a lot of time in DC over the next few years (family recently moved there and I visit a lot). Can anyone recommend some pro-NY or at least relatively pro-NY sports bars I could check out?

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
  #79
bigbluebird
Registered User
 
bigbluebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hiding in PlainSight
Country: United States
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finger11 View Post
I can't imagine the 100's are as bad as the poeple in the 400's. Annoying and know it all's at least. When we went to the playoff game a couple seasons ago when Varly started his first game for the Caps not one Caps fan around us (400s) knew who their goalie was or how to say his name... really?
Pathetic.

I'm a relatively new Rangers fan (within the last 7 years--yes, I missed the golden era, wish I had cared more about sports back then!). But, there's no excuse not to know basic ***** like that about your team. Let lone during a playoff game!

People like that really aggravate me, because they're taking up seats when there are thousands of people who are passionate/knowledgeable about their fanbase.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
  #80
Blueshirt13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Other side of the Ri
Posts: 801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrdz4 View Post
what time we thinking? what time will the bars even open saturday before the game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by finger11 View Post
Ever try Ironhorse? I'm usually there pregaming. $2 off beers during HH or leading up to a game.
Iron Horse is fine by me. I'm actually going with a Caps fan friend of mine (yes surprisingly there are 1 or 2) but would love to meet up with a few NYR fans before the fan.

I'm guessing the bars open up at 11 but will check with my friend today to confirm that. If that's the case, I'll probably look to get there then.

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
  #81
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post

ETA: I'll be spending a lot of time in DC over the next few years (family recently moved there and I visit a lot). Can anyone recommend some pro-NY or at least relatively pro-NY sports bars I could check out?
The only one I know of is 51 State in Foggy Bottom, but it's a ****hole. I use to go there for Giants games maybe 5, 6 years ago and a Mets playoff game or two...

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
  #82
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,108
vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post
Nothing will kill the buzz of my first playoff Rangers game.
How about a 12:30 start time

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
  #83
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post
Honestly, don't care tho. I'm preparing for it, lol. Nothing will kill the buzz of my first playoff Rangers game.

Also, yeah, excited about the seats. I'm a grad student so no way in hell I could have afforded them on my own, but my sister works at a law firm full of Capitals fans. I knew big sis was good for something.

Last time I went, I was also around the same area, maybe a little higher. (Same deal with work tickets). The fans were really pleasant/chatty to me, but A) it was a regular season game B) not to bring race in to it, but I am black and my dad (who was with me) is a huge, built black guy, so they probably weren't trying to talk any mess lol.

With just me and my sis, it might be a little different, but we'll see. ahaha.


ETA: I'll be spending a lot of time in DC over the next few years (family recently moved there and I visit a lot). Can anyone recommend some pro-NY or at least relatively pro-NY sports bars I could check out?
My son will be attending GW and when we visited discoverd the 5lst state tavern near the school, owned by a new yorker very pro NY.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
  #84
rkhum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
I am still trying for game 4 if anybody is interested PM because I will not go solo.

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  #85
PSUEds
Registered User
 
PSUEds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
My son will be attending GW and when we visited discoverd the 5lst state tavern near the school, owned by a new yorker very pro NY.
I dropped in during a night in March when the Rangers and Knicks were both playing and when I asked the bartender to put MSG on, he told me that they didn't have Center Ice or League Pass because it's too expensive. Terrible.

PSUEds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
  #86
bigbluebird
Registered User
 
bigbluebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hiding in PlainSight
Country: United States
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Weird. You'd think there would be more pro-NY bars in DC. I will say this. My dad, sis, nephew, and I all attended a random Buffalo Wild Wings Bar for the NYG/NYJ game on Christams Eve and there were a sizeable amount of (loud--including me, lol) NY fans.

I'm guessing it's just harder for Hockey. Because it seems like this city literally has nothing else to cheer for.

PSUEds--yeah, man, that's unacceptable. How can you call yourself a NY bar and not have access to Rangers, Knicks games? Ugh. I'm just glad I'm in grad school in NJ, not in DC. But, it is a nice place to grab cheap(er) tickets to see NY teams tho.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
  #87
useref15
Registered User
 
useref15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
So I just randomly checked ticketmaster, and they added some seats. For some reason I got section 413 for $107. Cheapest tickets on there, so I got the two. My friend and I will be making the trip down for Saturday. Booked a hotel for tomorrow night too. Should be sick!!

useref15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
  #88
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Ironhorse tweeted back at me and is opening at 11am.

My friend and I are still looking for a good deal on tickets... but are def trying to get corner 100/400 or center low row mezz. I have a third interested, so if there's a 4th (Doakes?) we could get 4.

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:31 AM
  #89
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
My son will be attending GW and when we visited discoverd the 5lst state tavern near the school, owned by a new yorker very pro NY.
Yeah 51st is great for NYers from what I hear. My g/f went to GW and now goes to GW law- I've never been there personally though unfortunately.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
  #90
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post
attended a random Buffalo Wild Wings Bar for the NYG/NYJ game on Christams Eve and there were a sizeable amount of (loud--including me, lol) NY fans.
Was this in Crystal City? I think that's the only nearby one, but they are opening one in Ballston soon.

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
  #91
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by finger11 View Post
Ever try Ironhorse? I'm usually there pregaming. $2 off beers during HH or leading up to a game.
Iron horse was great. That's where I spent pre/post game. There's a few clowns that will give you the verbal biz but don't worry about it, it's not nearly as bad as some other places in the league. Man I can't get over how great that was to celebrate the winner as eveypne around me hurls items at my seat and wants to fight. Just jumping up and down like a six year old. Represent tomorrow boys.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
  #92
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Iron horse was great. That's where I spent pre/post game. There's a few clowns that will give you the verbal biz but don't worry about it, it's not nearly as bad as some other places in the league. Man I can't get over how great that was to celebrate the winner as eveypne around me hurls items at my seat and wants to fight. Just jumping up and down like a six year old. Represent tomorrow boys.
What jersey where you wearing before game 3? We were upstairs...

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
  #93
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,930
vCash: 500
Tickets for game 6 go on sale today at 5 for anyone interested in heading down there. Hopefully it doesn't get that far though.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
  #94
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
People in DC are all bark with no bite. Plus most of the fans in that arena are just bandwagoning. 6 years ago they couldn't reach half capacity. 6 years from now it will be all the same. Just tell them that soon they'll be jumping ship. You can tell because all of their "fans" have Ovechkin jerseys only.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
  #95
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Just got our 2 tix for section 229.

We will be at Ironhorse sometime after 11. My friend (Rachael) will be in a DZ (3rd/grey) jersey and I'll (Josh) be in a no-named blue NYR jersey.

Anyone metro'ing in from Arlington? Will probably have a few beers at my place in Clarendon before jumping on the train if anyone wants to start super early

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
  #96
finger11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arlington
Country: United States
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
People in DC are all bark with no bite. Plus most of the fans in that arena are just bandwagoning. 6 years ago they couldn't reach half capacity. 6 years from now it will be all the same. Just tell them that soon they'll be jumping ship. You can tell because all of their "fans" have Ovechkin jerseys only.
Yea, when I was a kid my old man would take me to US Air Arena and we'd get nosebleeds and just walk down to 100's to sit.

You're in Ireland? I'm going there for my b-day in August... spending 3 days there.

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:50 AM
  #97
rkhum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Post your sections you are sitting in this way other Ranger fans can know where to buy...the last thing I want is to be 1 in 50.

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:50 AM
  #98
bgroban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
People in DC are all bark with no bite. Plus most of the fans in that arena are just bandwagoning. 6 years ago they couldn't reach half capacity. 6 years from now it will be all the same. Just tell them that soon they'll be jumping ship. You can tell because all of their "fans" have Ovechkin jerseys only.
What is wrong with bandwagoning fans? Every team in every sport has them. What's wrong with the NHL picking up new fans?

Caps' attendance figures from the past 10 seasons:

2011-2012: 12/30 teams
2010-2011: 10/30 teams
2009-2010: 11/30 teams
2008-2009: 13/30 teams
2007-2008: 24/30 teams
2006-2007: 27/30 teams
2005-2006: 28/30 teams
2003-2004: 25/30 teams
2002-2003: 18/30 teams
2001-2002: 13/30 teams
2000-2001: 18/30 teams

Outside of four lean seasons, attendance has been pretty decent to average for a long time.

I was a Rangers season ticket holder for many years when I was living in Manhattan. Have you been to a Rangers game at MSG before? Loud, passionate fans for sure. But a LOT of bandwagoning fans. Central location, easy to get to via public transportation.

I know you do not speak for the Rangers fans on HFB, but geez, just enjoy the game. No need to put down fanbases.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
  #99
RangerGirl
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Section 229.

GO RANGERS!!! Everyone make sure to wear blue jerseys so you stand out among the sea of red.....

RangerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
  #100
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 19,498
vCash: 420
Getting tickets for me and my dad for game 4 from Gabby.

No idea where

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.