HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports Thread VIII - Baseball Ain't Better Here!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  #101
sedag
Registered User
 
sedag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
He is a one of a kind pitcher... You know who also threw a lot of sliders? Wood.
You are correct about slider's being hell on the arm but Wood's slider was pure Nintendo. Most pitchers couldn't replicate his '98 throwing motion if they tried. IP had nothing to do with whether or not he was going under the knife, it was just a matter of when.

Arm injuries are slippery science but one of the most predictive components is injury history as coldsteel noted with Garza. Some players, whether through physiology or form are more susceptible to injury while others are seemingly bullet proof.

*Have to add that I'm not 100% intelligent on Garza's injury history.


Last edited by sedag: 05-05-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: misattribution
sedag is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  #102
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Hell, it doesn't even have to be a top prospect IMO, just get the best haul you can. They really aren't going to go anywhere while those two are stil on the roster, so what's the different in winning 75 games instead of 65? Not worth it, only hurting the draft pick at that point.
The Cubs have $80 mil in payroll on the roster right now, it will be down to around $60 after this season. If they wanted to, they could contend again very fast, especially if Rizzo pans out.

Also, there is value to winning 80 games as opposed to 65. Fans are already starting to not show up to games. If you win 72 this season and sell off the rest of your good players and are 8-18 in April again next year, you are going to lose a substantial amount of ticket revenue.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 12:54 PM
  #103
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 59,889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedag View Post
You are correct about slider's being hell on the arm but Wood's slider was pure Nintendo. Most pitchers couldn't replicate his '98 throwing motion if they tried. IP had nothing to do with whether or not he was going under the knife, it was just a matter of when.

Arm injuries are slippery science but one of the most predictive components is injury history as madgoat noted with Garza. Some players, whether through physiology or form are more susceptible to injury while others are seemingly bullet proof.
I agree 100%. I just think listing off the Unit like he is your typical pitcher was a bit extreme, so I went extreme with my example as well. I wonder if some have forgot the #'s RJ put up. Last guy to have a 300+ K season I believe, not to mention one year he threw 270+ innings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Cubs have $80 mil in payroll on the roster right now, it will be down to around $60 after this season. If they wanted to, they could contend again very fast, especially if Rizzo pans out.

Also, there is value to winning 80 games as opposed to 65. Fans are already starting to not show up to games. If you win 72 this season and sell off the rest of your good players and are 8-18 in April again next year, you are going to lose a substantial amount of ticket revenue.

Call Rizzo and Jackson up this year, continue to clear as much payroll as possible, and give Rizzo and co. all of next year with the team. THen hope to complete the following year at the earliest, if not hte year after that. You'll have plenty of money to spend, and hopefully Starlin, Rizzo, and Jackson are beginning to enter their primes.

RayP is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
  #104
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post


Call Rizzo and Jackson up this year, continue to clear as much payroll as possible, and give Rizzo and co. all of next year with the team. THen hope to complete the following year at the earliest, if not hte year after that. You'll have plenty of money to spend, and hopefully Starlin, Rizzo, and Jackson are beginning to enter their primes.
I don't see how that plan precludes you from keeping Garza. He'd be 31 at that point, far from being past his prime. If they trade Garza and Dempster who is at the top of your rotation next year? Samardzjia and Maholm? I understand rebuilding but you can't turn the Chicago Cubs into the Iowa Cubs.

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
  #105
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I don't see how that plan precludes you from keeping Garza. He'd be 31 at that point, far from being past his prime. If they trade Garza and Dempster who is at the top of your rotation next year? Samardzjia and Maholm? I understand rebuilding but you can't turn the Chicago Cubs into the Iowa Cubs.
Right, we don't need to go to extremes. It may be 10 years or more before a pitcher as good as Garza comes through the system. He's thrown a lot of quality innings for a long time. He's one of those guys you don't have to worry about.

digdug41982 is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
  #106
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,916
vCash: 500
Garza is a guy I want to build around. Rizzo, Jackson, Castro, and Garza are the future at this point.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
  #107
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
We can't let everybody walk without some sort of quality starting pitching coming in heading into next season. I'm not expecting a fantastic season, but winning 55 games with your prospects playing in a bunch of games that are meaningless early is no way to bring up talent. Losing takes a very heavy toll on a team, as anyone who has played at a competitive level on a seriously bad team can tell you.

Dempster had a fantastic showing yesterday. Shame Marmol blew it. Hopefully he comes up big with a 1 run cushion today.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
  #108
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 59,889
vCash: 50
Ventura just announced that Chris Sale will be the new closer.

WTF?


RayP is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
  #109
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,916
vCash: 500
Can't stand Marmol. I don't know how much longer he can live off the 2008 season. Please trade him. Teams like the Yankees and Giants may be in need of a closer. Trade him while he has some value left.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
  #110
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,067
vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Can't stand Marmol. I don't know how much longer he can live off the 2008 season. Please trade him. Teams like the Yankees and Giants may be in need of a closer. Trade him while he has some value left.
What.... did the Cubs invent a time machine or something? That ship's sailed, sunk, rotted on the bottom of the ocean, and entirely salvaged by entrepreneurial divers already.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
  #111
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
What.... did the Cubs invent a time machine or something? That ship's sailed, sunk, rotted on the bottom of the ocean, and entirely salvaged by entrepreneurial divers already.
Oh, there's not denying his value has sunk like a boat anchor. Please, I know. We're at the point we can flip him for a prospect. The more we wait, we get less quality in return and have to take on more salary.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
  #112
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,067
vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Oh, there's not denying his value has sunk like a boat anchor. Please, I know. We're at the point we can flip him for a prospect. The more we wait, we get less quality in return and have to take on more salary.
I'd be honestly surprised if we managed to acquire so much as a career AAA prospect for Marmol at this point in time, and even for that we'd probably have to eat all or most of his contract.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
  #113
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Rios was moved for free, as was Vernon Wells.

All it takes is one idiot.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
  #114
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 27,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Rios was moved for free, as was Vernon Wells.

All it takes is one idiot.
White Sox need a closer...


But in reality, Marmol should have been moved after the 2010 season. It was clear that the Cubs' window had closed, and Marmol still had some value at the time.

Gootie is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
  #115
Blackhawksgrl65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Congrats to Maholm on his third straight win and really good start. I want James Russell to be closer. Dolis just reminds me of Marmol.

Blackhawksgrl65 is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
  #116
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 21,191
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Ventura just announced that Chris Sale will be the new closer.

WTF?

I am so lost.

Sox saying he has a tender elbow and the move is to "save his career". I don't get this one bit. If he can't start, DL him.

This is ****ing bull ****!!

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
  #117
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Rios was moved for free, as was Vernon Wells.

All it takes is one idiot.
Good point, maybe someone will grab him off waivers like the Sox did with Rios

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 09:41 PM
  #118
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedag View Post
You are correct about slider's being hell on the arm but Wood's slider was pure Nintendo. Most pitchers couldn't replicate his '98 throwing motion if they tried. IP had nothing to do with whether or not he was going under the knife, it was just a matter of when.

Arm injuries are slippery science but one of the most predictive components is injury history as madgoat noted with Garza. Some players, whether through physiology or form are more susceptible to injury while others are seemingly bullet proof.

*Have to add that I'm not 100% intelligent on Garza's injury history.
when did I do that?

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 09:42 PM
  #119
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,154
vCash: 500
also, John Lucas can not run an offense to save his life. The bulls failing down the stretch in playoff games has become a trend even with rose. Thibs needs to rethink his strategy.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
  #120
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
Bulls are in major trouble.

NBA is a star's league and losing Rose was a massive blow, but there is no excuse for the collapses in the last two games.

Philly is an eighth seed. Terrible play from the Bulls. Offense is pathetic and can't score when the going gets tough.

Also, I keep hearing high ankle sprain for Noah... not good.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
05-05-2012, 12:15 AM
  #121
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 21,191
vCash: 50
Matt Thornton - Not a closer...

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
05-05-2012, 02:22 AM
  #122
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 34,067
vCash: 5113
Man, am I happy that I'm not a Bulls (or NBA) fan, otherwise I'd be beyond pissed right about now.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
05-05-2012, 10:25 AM
  #123
sedag
Registered User
 
sedag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
when did I do that?
Ha sorry. Looking back it was coldsteel who mentioned Garza's minimal injury history.

sedag is offline  
Old
05-05-2012, 10:35 AM
  #124
sedag
Registered User
 
sedag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Bulls are a ripoff. One basket in the last 8 min? JL3 looked like he was 4 feet tall by the end of the game.

If you're a hoop head at all you might like this read. Bill Simmons already ranks this year's championship the #9 "footnote" title because of Rose's injury and the shortened season.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...footnote-title

And another about Chandler and Curry. I was at the Shop n Save Shootout mentioned in the article.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...tyson-chandler

sedag is offline  
Old
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
  #125
committedindian86
Teuvo Time
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,176
vCash: 500
The Cubs havent been as terrible as I expected... Well, back to playoff hockey and soccer

committedindian86 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.