HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports Thread VIII - Baseball Ain't Better Here!

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
sedag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
He is a one of a kind pitcher... You know who also threw a lot of sliders? Wood.
You are correct about slider's being hell on the arm but Wood's slider was pure Nintendo. Most pitchers couldn't replicate his '98 throwing motion if they tried. IP had nothing to do with whether or not he was going under the knife, it was just a matter of when.

Arm injuries are slippery science but one of the most predictive components is injury history as coldsteel noted with Garza. Some players, whether through physiology or form are more susceptible to injury while others are seemingly bullet proof.

*Have to add that I'm not 100% intelligent on Garza's injury history.

Last edited by sedag: 05-05-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: misattribution
Old
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Hell, it doesn't even have to be a top prospect IMO, just get the best haul you can. They really aren't going to go anywhere while those two are stil on the roster, so what's the different in winning 75 games instead of 65? Not worth it, only hurting the draft pick at that point.
The Cubs have $80 mil in payroll on the roster right now, it will be down to around $60 after this season. If they wanted to, they could contend again very fast, especially if Rizzo pans out.

Also, there is value to winning 80 games as opposed to 65. Fans are already starting to not show up to games. If you win 72 this season and sell off the rest of your good players and are 8-18 in April again next year, you are going to lose a substantial amount of ticket revenue.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:54 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedag View Post
You are correct about slider's being hell on the arm but Wood's slider was pure Nintendo. Most pitchers couldn't replicate his '98 throwing motion if they tried. IP had nothing to do with whether or not he was going under the knife, it was just a matter of when.

Arm injuries are slippery science but one of the most predictive components is injury history as madgoat noted with Garza. Some players, whether through physiology or form are more susceptible to injury while others are seemingly bullet proof.
I agree 100%. I just think listing off the Unit like he is your typical pitcher was a bit extreme, so I went extreme with my example as well. I wonder if some have forgot the #'s RJ put up. Last guy to have a 300+ K season I believe, not to mention one year he threw 270+ innings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Cubs have $80 mil in payroll on the roster right now, it will be down to around $60 after this season. If they wanted to, they could contend again very fast, especially if Rizzo pans out.

Also, there is value to winning 80 games as opposed to 65. Fans are already starting to not show up to games. If you win 72 this season and sell off the rest of your good players and are 8-18 in April again next year, you are going to lose a substantial amount of ticket revenue.

Call Rizzo and Jackson up this year, continue to clear as much payroll as possible, and give Rizzo and co. all of next year with the team. THen hope to complete the following year at the earliest, if not hte year after that. You'll have plenty of money to spend, and hopefully Starlin, Rizzo, and Jackson are beginning to enter their primes.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Call Rizzo and Jackson up this year, continue to clear as much payroll as possible, and give Rizzo and co. all of next year with the team. THen hope to complete the following year at the earliest, if not hte year after that. You'll have plenty of money to spend, and hopefully Starlin, Rizzo, and Jackson are beginning to enter their primes.
I don't see how that plan precludes you from keeping Garza. He'd be 31 at that point, far from being past his prime. If they trade Garza and Dempster who is at the top of your rotation next year? Samardzjia and Maholm? I understand rebuilding but you can't turn the Chicago Cubs into the Iowa Cubs.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I don't see how that plan precludes you from keeping Garza. He'd be 31 at that point, far from being past his prime. If they trade Garza and Dempster who is at the top of your rotation next year? Samardzjia and Maholm? I understand rebuilding but you can't turn the Chicago Cubs into the Iowa Cubs.
Right, we don't need to go to extremes. It may be 10 years or more before a pitcher as good as Garza comes through the system. He's thrown a lot of quality innings for a long time. He's one of those guys you don't have to worry about.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Cullksinikers

Garza is a guy I want to build around. Rizzo, Jackson, Castro, and Garza are the future at this point.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
We can't let everybody walk without some sort of quality starting pitching coming in heading into next season. I'm not expecting a fantastic season, but winning 55 games with your prospects playing in a bunch of games that are meaningless early is no way to bring up talent. Losing takes a very heavy toll on a team, as anyone who has played at a competitive level on a seriously bad team can tell you.

Dempster had a fantastic showing yesterday. Shame Marmol blew it. Hopefully he comes up big with a 1 run cushion today.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
RayP

Ventura just announced that Chris Sale will be the new closer.

WTF?

Old
05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Cullksinikers

Can't stand Marmol. I don't know how much longer he can live off the 2008 season. Please trade him. Teams like the Yankees and Giants may be in need of a closer. Trade him while he has some value left.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Can't stand Marmol. I don't know how much longer he can live off the 2008 season. Please trade him. Teams like the Yankees and Giants may be in need of a closer. Trade him while he has some value left.
What.... did the Cubs invent a time machine or something? That ship's sailed, sunk, rotted on the bottom of the ocean, and entirely salvaged by entrepreneurial divers already.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
What.... did the Cubs invent a time machine or something? That ship's sailed, sunk, rotted on the bottom of the ocean, and entirely salvaged by entrepreneurial divers already.
Oh, there's not denying his value has sunk like a boat anchor. Please, I know. We're at the point we can flip him for a prospect. The more we wait, we get less quality in return and have to take on more salary.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Oh, there's not denying his value has sunk like a boat anchor. Please, I know. We're at the point we can flip him for a prospect. The more we wait, we get less quality in return and have to take on more salary.
I'd be honestly surprised if we managed to acquire so much as a career AAA prospect for Marmol at this point in time, and even for that we'd probably have to eat all or most of his contract.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Rios was moved for free, as was Vernon Wells.

All it takes is one idiot.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post

White Sox need a closer...

But in reality, Marmol should have been moved after the 2010 season. It was clear that the Cubs' window had closed, and Marmol still had some value at the time.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Blackhawksgrl65

Congrats to Maholm on his third straight win and really good start. I want James Russell to be closer. Dolis just reminds me of Marmol.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Ventura just announced that Chris Sale will be the new closer.

WTF?

I am so lost.

Sox saying he has a tender elbow and the move is to "save his career". I don't get this one bit. If he can't start, DL him.

This is ****ing bull ****!!

Old
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post

Good point, maybe someone will grab him off waivers like the Sox did with Rios

Old
05-04-2012, 09:41 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedag View Post

Arm injuries are slippery science but one of the most predictive components is injury history as madgoat noted with Garza. Some players, whether through physiology or form are more susceptible to injury while others are seemingly bullet proof.

*Have to add that I'm not 100% intelligent on Garza's injury history.
when did I do that?

Old
05-04-2012, 09:42 PM
madgoat33

also, John Lucas can not run an offense to save his life. The bulls failing down the stretch in playoff games has become a trend even with rose. Thibs needs to rethink his strategy.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Bulls are in major trouble.

NBA is a star's league and losing Rose was a massive blow, but there is no excuse for the collapses in the last two games.

Philly is an eighth seed. Terrible play from the Bulls. Offense is pathetic and can't score when the going gets tough.

Also, I keep hearing high ankle sprain for Noah... not good.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:15 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Matt Thornton - Not a closer...

Old
05-05-2012, 02:22 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Man, am I happy that I'm not a Bulls (or NBA) fan, otherwise I'd be beyond pissed right about now.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:25 AM
sedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
when did I do that?
Ha sorry. Looking back it was coldsteel who mentioned Garza's minimal injury history.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:35 AM
sedag

Bulls are a ripoff. One basket in the last 8 min? JL3 looked like he was 4 feet tall by the end of the game.

If you're a hoop head at all you might like this read. Bill Simmons already ranks this year's championship the #9 "footnote" title because of Rose's injury and the shortened season.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...footnote-title

And another about Chandler and Curry. I was at the Shop n Save Shootout mentioned in the article.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...tyson-chandler

Old
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

The Cubs havent been as terrible as I expected... Well, back to playoff hockey and soccer

Closed Thread