HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
I also love the people pissing and moaning about the Gus and Carle turnover that led to the 3rd NJ goal.

As bad as a turnover as that was, the shot came from an extremely sharp angle. Elias didn't exactly skate the whole way across the crease (ala Malkin) and net one.

As far as "chances to bail your team out" goes, that should have been extremely easy and should have gotten an "atta boy Bryz". Simple positioning and awareness is all that was needed for that save.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I hate to break it to you but Rinaldo,Shelley,Sestito wont be in the lineup for game 4.

Nobody is asking for Bryzgalov to be the best goalie on the planet. We know hes not. But the guy cannot be giving up a soft goal or 2 every game in the playoffs. Make a critical save. I dont think its asking for much.
He needs to stop that 1st goal, and he cannot be putting rebounds into critical areas of the ice. 2 things he does too much of in my view. Is everything his fault? of course not, but he needs to do his job like everyone else on the team.
He shouldnt be the last to blame or get none of the blame like some around here seem to think.
If I wanted pedestrian goaltending I would have asked for Leighton or Boucher back.
JJ said it best the other day. He said that Bryz is a mystery when it comes to a game, he could be very good or very bad. Bryz DOESNT need to be allstar caliber. He just needs to make the right saves at the right time. He has done that at times this series, but then there are the back breakers which you really do question his mechanics. I do think Bryz could be better if he had is head on straight. Yea its funny during interviews but his lack of confidence all the time and overall mopy kind of nature really affects how he plays. PHX was able to cover it up with their pure defensive system. The Flyers more offensive system is hard on the goalies, but it showed with Leighton, Boosh and Bob that it's easily possible to be average (.910 sv% +)

Old
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
The fact that you somehow think every slight breakdown should automatically relieve the goaltender of responsibility is laughable
I didn't say that.
But when you give Kovulchuk a breakaway, he's gonna score on most goalies.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

No, he's not worth his contract. If he wins 2 Cups while he's here, people will still ***** about it, and he won't be worth it then. Time to get over it.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont see whats wrong with questing a goalie who has had a average to below average season. He hasnt had a good season, thats a fact. Whether it was the system, or the players or the coach or the media, there always seem to be OTHER excuses. I agree though. He isnt going anywhere because honestly, no one will take that kind of contract for a goalie. He needs to be better though and next season there wont be "he's new" excuse to use anymore.
There is nothing wrong with this question- there is no real outcome for this discussion.
Folks who do not like him and the folks who do wiill continue piss each other of for the duration of the contract.

And if Bryz is playing better one part will feel extatic, if he sucks the other part will have its moral satisfaction. It's going to be a "Groundhog Day" for 8 more years.

I wish we spent our energy on more substantial discussions.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

Quote:
I also love the people pissing and moaning about the Gus and Carle turnover that led to the 3rd NJ goal.

As bad as a turnover as that was, the shot came from an extremely sharp angle. Elias didn't exactly skate the whole way across the crease (ala Malkin) and net one.

As far as "chances to bail your team out" goes, that should have been extremely easy and should have gotten an "atta boy Bryz". Simple positioning and awareness is all that was needed for that save.
You mean the one where Carle decided to stop playing and started watching the game in the corner, and let Elias get to the side of the net first? Yep, not the defense's fault at all.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:41 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont see whats wrong with questing a goalie who has had a average to below average season. He hasnt had a good season, thats a fact. Whether it was the system, or the players or the coach or the media, there always seem to be OTHER excuses. I agree though. He isnt going anywhere because honestly, no one will take that kind of contract for a goalie. He needs to be better though and next season there wont be "he's new" excuse to use anymore.
There's nothing wrong with questioning him, in fact I completely agree with you, he has had an awful season. But the fact is that we haven't had a decent goalltender in like 20 years should point out the fact that maybe it's not only the goalies who are flawed. It could very much have to do with the system itself being flawed. That's why I suggest a system change. One that will get all the players on the same page that could benefit everyone and boost Bryz as well as our D.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
nothing to see here. its not his fault. even Lundqvist would be posting those numbers here. Ask the Bryz supporters. they will tell you.
Ahh it must be so nice to be able to look at stats and draw a conclusion. The life of the simple minded, amirite?

Albert Pujols must be one of the worst baseball players....amirite?!?

Old
05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
You mean the one where Carle decided to stop playing and started watching the game in the corner, and let Elias get to the side of the net first? Yep, not the defense's fault at all.
Lemme help you with that.

Quote:

There you are.

Old
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ahh it must be so nice to be able to look at stats and draw a conclusion. The life of the simple minded, amirite?

lol@ looking at the stats.

GTFO

Old
Cmoneyflyguy

Put it this way, Lundquist (who is way better than Bryz) is not facing the same amount of high quality scoring chances against as Bryz.
That's just a fact.

Hell, neither is Brodeur.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Put it this way, Lundquist (who is way better than Bryz) is not facing the same amount of high quality scoring chances against as Bryz.
That's just a fact.

Hell, neither is Brodeur.
the sad part is when we do get a high quality scoring chance agaisnt Brodeur, it goes in. the problem is we only get a few a night

Old
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
The fact that you somehow think every slight breakdown should automatically relieve the goaltender of responsibility is laughable
It resolves him of SOLO blame.

He has made PLENTY of good saves.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:

Have you been watching Bryz? His stats accurately reflect his performance in that both are disappointing.

05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
the sad part is when we do get a high quality scoring chance agaisnt Brodeur, it goes in. the problem is we only get a few a night
Very true. Or Marty flops.
He did have 1 pretty sick save last night.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Actually, carle is going up ice (yay transition offense) while Parise is going to the net...

Old
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

No idea how people can defend a guy who is dead last among active goalies and a guy who nearly has a 4GAA.

It is beyond mind boggling. Its just delusional.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
No idea how people can defend a guy who is dead last among active goalies and a guy who nearly has a 4GAA.

I'm definitely not defending him. He could play better thats for sure, but the players in front of him arent helping out

Old
05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

All of you.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:58 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Have you been watching Bryz? His stats accurately reflect his performance in that both are disappointing.
For a couple games, yes. His stats are skewed because of the PIT series. This series he hasn't been a 4.00 GAA. But somehow people are watching Bryz let in 1-2 stoppable shots per game and going into Negadelphian mode, because of how much he makes. When that amnesty clause DOESN'T HAPPEN, people are gonna have to get over his contract very quickly, because he's who we have and it likely isn't changing.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
For a couple games, yes. His stats are skewed because of the PIT series. This series he hasn't been a 4.00 GAA. But somehow people are watching Bryz let in 1-2 stoppable shots per game and going into Negadelphian mode, because of how much he makes. When that amnesty clause DOESN'T HAPPEN, people are gonna have to get over his contract very quickly, because he's who we have and it likely isn't changing.
Those 1-2 soft goals a game are a massive issue. The guy's cap hit is way too high to be a Russian Boucher.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

Quote:

Nobody's defending him. We're trying to give you a clue as to why he sucks. Unfortunately no matter how much he bails out his terrible defense, he never bails them out enough.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
There's nothing wrong with questioning him, in fact I completely agree with you, he has had an awful season. But the fact is that we haven't had a decent goalltender in like 20 years should point out the fact that maybe it's not only the goalies who are flawed. It could very much have to do with the system itself being flawed. That's why I suggest a system change. One that will get all the players on the same page that could benefit everyone and boost Bryz as well as our D.
The thing is, for the past 20 years we havent had the same system at all. The system we currently had was pretty sufficient with the average to below average goalies we have ad the past few years. It is kinda funny though that we get an "elite" goalie but we have to change the system to suit him to play just average.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
so 3.54 and .878 is acceptable.

got it

Old
05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
Now, back to what I wanted to say, I honestly believe that the problem should not get pinned all on the goalie, but for the majority of the part it should be blamed on the system itself. The Flyers play an offensive minded system, meaning that this type of system leaves out the goalie with very minimal defensive support, Now, ofcourse we also have a history of getting mediocre goaltenders themselves, however judging by the amount of goalies we've gone through in the last decade, this should really just prove that this type of system doesn't work for the goaltenders, no matter who we bring (Well unless we bring some super awesome robot goalie, but for now we won't so we'll just leave it at that.)

Here's where I am getting at, the system needs to be changed to become just a tad more defensive oriented rather than offensive. We've seen how goalies tend to play when the D is sharp and focus, so if by making the system favour the D a bit more, it could really pay off. This will suit the goaltender, and it might mean sacrificing a bit of offence, but I honestly believe this will work out in the long run. And just so people don't take what I say out of context, I'm not saying to rid of our offence and go out all D, far from it, I just think at this point and with all the factors taken into consideration (injuries, inconsistent goaltending etc) this whole team could benefit with a bit more defence. This team needs develop a system that will have all the players on the same page.

That's my take on it.

brilliant synopsis
problem is, i like the 'offensive minded' team
going to a more defensive system scares me into thinking this team will end up being like the old NJDevils / present day NYRangers

that style of play bores the hell out of me
it would make me NOT want to watch the game any more
could paint a wall and watch it dry and at the same time watch a rangers game
and i think the paint would dry before a goal was scored

I may be hard on Bryz, but to be quite honest
he's let in wayyy too many soft goals in , all season long
everytime the other team comes into our zone, i cringe at the thought that here goes, another weird stupid goal is going to go in
by mr.swisscheese goalie. now if i think that watching the game, i can just imagine what the players are thinking
lol
the only thing that kept us winning was our ability to just outscore the opponent
maybe we just need to start going all offense on this team instead of concentrating on trying to play a defensive game which clearly they can't do.
just go out and win 7-5 if we have too
i have no problem with bryz having a 4.85 gaa as long as we are still winning games and holding up the cup
haha

Last edited by Swiper the Fox: 05-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Closed Thread