HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 2nd Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want Columbus to select 2nd overall?
Mikhail Grigorenko 4 4.40%
Ryan Murray 45 49.45%
Alex Galchenyuk 27 29.67%
Filip Forsberg 12 13.19%
Matt Dumba 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Smallz

vCash: 500
HF Team Board Mock Draft - 2nd Overall

Vote for the player you want the Jackets to select 2nd overall at the draft

Draft Results:
1) EDM - Nail Yakupov
2) CBJ -

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1176245

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 05-06-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old
05-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Ryan Murray

And watch Edmonton lose 8-7 games because they have no defense. Enjoy that lottery pick, Tamby.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
CapnCornelius

The answer is Nail Yakupov.

I still don't buy the Oilers making that pick. For once, Howson's Edmonton connection can be of some use.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Smallz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The answer is Nail Yakupov.

I still don't buy the Oilers making that pick. For once, Howson's Edmonton connection can be of some use.
Don't hold your breath

Besides there is no trading in a mock draft anyway.......its just picks based on the current draft order.......obviously you know that I'm just saying

Old
05-04-2012, 03:11 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Ryan Murray

And watch Edmonton lose 8-7 games because they have no defense. Enjoy that lottery pick, Tamby.

Or the jackets lose 2-1 games because they have no offense. I went with Galchenyuk.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
hip check
Go North.

The more time I have to think about it the easier it is for me to choose Galchenyuk.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Murray and watch your defense be set for a decade.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
jacks johnson

Galchenyuk....probably the best talent, or right behind yapukov, had he been healthy it would have been a heck of a battle. Watch his clips, big body like malkin, exceptional speed , great work ethic/attitude. No reason to draft a dman, especially Murray, unless we are moving down.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:19 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Or the jackets lose 2-1 games because they have no offense. I went with Galchenyuk.
Agree, many want the Nashville model, but Nashville will most likely get knocked out again this year because they lack scoring. Or, look no further than the la kings, who traded j Johnson and a first to us because they couldn't score. We move Nash, and who's back in our top 6, umberger, letestu.....

Old
05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I voted for Galchenyuk in hopes that he can become a star in Columbus and be nicknamed Yukky. The very least I'm willing to settle for is the more conventional hockey nickname of Yukker. it's all in the name!

Old
05-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I want Murray, which guarantees the Jackets to draft Grigorenko and he'll bust

Old
05-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I voted Galchenyuk. I wouldn't be upset with Murray. If Yuk is chosen he could push Johansen to the second line, in due time. It would be a good one two punch in a year or two. If it is Murray the D will be set for some time when a true shutdown is added.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Agree, many want the Nashville model, but Nashville will most likely get knocked out again this year because they lack scoring. Or, look no further than the la kings, who traded j Johnson and a first to us because they couldn't score. We move Nash, and who's back in our top 6, umberger, letestu.....
If Phoenix eliminates Nashville, I certainly hope you'll stand by what you said there - because the Coyotes would not be considered a high end offensive team by anyone's stretch of imagination.

Looking at the eight remaining playoff teams, they ranked as follows:

NY Rangers, 187 goals against, 2.28 GAA, 1st in Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals, 230 goals against, 2.80 GAA, 7th in East
New Jersey Devils, 209 goals against, 2.55 GAA, 3rd in East
Philadelphia Flyers, 232 goals against, 2.83 GAA, 9th in East

St. Louis Blues, 165 goals against, 2.01 GAA, 1st in Western Conference
LA Kings, 179 goals against, 2.18 GAA, 2nd in West
Phoenix Coyotes, 204 goals against, 2.49 GAA, 5th in West
Nashville Predators, 210 goals against, 2.56 GAA, 6th in West

Now, comparing that to their offensive totals:

NY Rangers, 226 goals for, 8th in Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals, 222 goals for, 10th in East
Philadelphia Flyers, 264 goals for, 3rd in East
New Jersey Devils, 228 goals for, 7th in East

St Louis Blues, 210 goals for, 9th in Western Conference
LA Kings, 194 goals for, 14th in West
Nashville Predators, 237 goals for, 3rd in West
Phoenix Coyotes, 216 goals for, 6th in West

My argument would be that defense did, and still does, win championships. A forward can go through hot and cold streaks - on some nights they may not get a shot on goal, while on others they may score four or five points - whereas a good, solid defense, that shows up every night - in front of a good, solid goaltender - will almost assuredly win you more games.

I still believe in building from the net out. Our 202 goals for isn't great, but add in another 20 goal scorer or two, and we're right in the middle of the pack as far as goals for goes.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I want Murray, which guarantees the Jackets to draft Grigorenko and he'll bust
I think all it guarantees is that if we dare pick anyone other than Murray, even if our alternate pick wins the Calder Trophy he'll be thoroughly despised and hated and pointed to as another example for firing Howson simply for the horrible, horrible crime of not being Cam Fowler Ryan Murray.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Does it really matter now that the NHL lottery has screwed us out of getting Nail Yakupov... I am working on the travesty of Edmonton getting three #1 picks in a row but that is for other sites..

Based on past history the Blue Jacket organization will fail in this draft as they have for almost over a decade.

OT: have any of you ever wondered why Syracuse (a very respected New York AHL organization) wanted out of the Columbus organization? Think about this.... Who is our development system now? Does anyone really know?

Old
05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Does it really matter now that the NHL lottery has screwed us out of getting Nail Yakupov... I am working on the travesty of Edmonton getting three #1 picks in a row but that is for other sites..

Based on past history the Blue Jacket organization will fail in this draft as they have for almost over a decade.

OT: have any of you ever wondered why Syracuse (a very respected New York AHL organization) wanted out of the Columbus organization? Think about this.... Who is our development system now? Does anyone really know?
The Springfield Falcons. One of the oldest teams in the AHL, based in the same city the AHL is headquartered in, and with a rich and exciting history, but a very recent history of abuse at the hands of teams like Winnipeg/Phoenix, Tampa Bay, and Edmonton.

Syracuse wanted out because they harbored delusions of being the next Hershey after securing an affiliation with the Rangers.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I voted for Galchenyuk in hopes that he can become a star in Columbus and be nicknamed Yukky. The very least I'm willing to settle for is the more conventional hockey nickname of Yukker. it's all in the name!
This begs the question of why no one dubbed the Yakupov/Galchenyuk tandem "Yak and Yuk", which I think would pay homage to the Garbage Pail Kids.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
If Phoenix eliminates Nashville, I certainly hope you'll stand by what you said there - because the Coyotes would not be considered a high end offensive team by anyone's stretch of imagination.

Looking at the eight remaining playoff teams, they ranked as follows:

NY Rangers, 187 goals against, 2.28 GAA, 1st in Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals, 230 goals against, 2.80 GAA, 7th in East
New Jersey Devils, 209 goals against, 2.55 GAA, 3rd in East
Philadelphia Flyers, 232 goals against, 2.83 GAA, 9th in East

St. Louis Blues, 165 goals against, 2.01 GAA, 1st in Western Conference
LA Kings, 179 goals against, 2.18 GAA, 2nd in West
Phoenix Coyotes, 204 goals against, 2.49 GAA, 5th in West
Nashville Predators, 210 goals against, 2.56 GAA, 6th in West

Now, comparing that to their offensive totals:

NY Rangers, 226 goals for, 8th in Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals, 222 goals for, 10th in East
Philadelphia Flyers, 264 goals for, 3rd in East
New Jersey Devils, 228 goals for, 7th in East

St Louis Blues, 210 goals for, 9th in Western Conference
LA Kings, 194 goals for, 14th in West
Nashville Predators, 237 goals for, 3rd in West
Phoenix Coyotes, 216 goals for, 6th in West

My argument would be that defense did, and still does, win championships. A forward can go through hot and cold streaks - on some nights they may not get a shot on goal, while on others they may score four or five points - whereas a good, solid defense, that shows up every night - in front of a good, solid goaltender - will almost assuredly win you more games.

I still believe in building from the net out. Our 202 goals for isn't great, but add in another 20 goal scorer or two, and we're right in the middle of the pack as far as goals for goes.
I hear what your saying, and see your point. When I think of teams that have won the Stanley Cup the past 5 years, they seem to have a mix of a good D, and talented top 6. We have a pretty good top 6 defensive core, that with a good goalie, should at least be middle of pack in Nhl, in goals against, with many young D prospects on the horizon. When you look at our forward /centers in our organization, what depth do we have? Our top 6 forwards right now are Nash (who probably is gone)- so our 202 goals goes down), Brassard, Prospal, Atkinson, Umberger, Johansen. So we have Umberger back in the top 6 ? Cant see a Boom Jenner, Calvert, Kubilak, taking his spot in the coming year or 2. I know you have a pretty vast knowledge of many young prospects, when you look at our organization , the one area of strength is our defensive depth, at some point we need to bring in some offense. Galchenyuk could have been the #1 prospect had he stayed healthy. I just feel we would be better served to trade down a few spots, pick up another asset along the way, and draft a galchenyuk, or Forsberg.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:18 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
This begs the question of why no one dubbed the Yakupov/Galchenyuk tandem "Yak and Yuk", which I think would pay homage to the Garbage Pail Kids.
From my april 21 post:

Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Faksa plus Murray + somebody (#17) sounds good too. I'm not sure I'd trade the two picks for the one. But yuk and yak does sound good.

if Spector or Dreger had said it it would have been famous by now-

Old
05-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I hear what your saying, and see your point. When I think of teams that have won the Stanley Cup the past 5 years, they seem to have a mix of a good D, and talented top 6. We have a pretty good top 6 defensive core, that with a good goalie, should at least be middle of pack in Nhl, in goals against, with many young D prospects on the horizon. When you look at our forward /centers in our organization, what depth do we have? Our top 6 forwards right now are Nash (who probably is gone)- so our 202 goals goes down), Brassard, Prospal, Atkinson, Umberger, Johansen. So we have Umberger back in the top 6 ? Cant see a Boom Jenner, Calvert, Kubilak, taking his spot in the coming year or 2. I know you have a pretty vast knowledge of many young prospects, when you look at our organization , the one area of strength is our defensive depth, at some point we need to bring in some offense. Galchenyuk could have been the #1 prospect had he stayed healthy. I just feel we would be better served to trade down a few spots, pick up another asset along the way, and draft a galchenyuk, or Forsberg.
Patience, my friend ... if we secure LA's first round pick next year, and retain our (likely) lottery pick, we'll come away with two VERY good offensive players. This year is the year of solid defense - unless we can end up with Yakupov, there are question marks surrounding just about every other skilled forward in the draft - and even he has some question marks himself. A guy like Murray is at least a good piece to build around. I'm saying BPA, and I think Ryan Murray would be the BPA at #2, if Yakupov went #1.

All that said, my feelings won't be hurt with Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Forsberg. It'll be interesting how it shakes down ... either way, we're in for a long couple of years of rebuilding. Again.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I want us to draft Galchenyuk as I think he will rival Yakupov in terms of offensive output, meanwhile he's a large center which will have more value and impact over a smaller winger.

If we decide to go with Murray, I will also be pleased.

If we go with Forsberg, I will be very upset. Same with Grigorenko. Obviously I could be wrong but I think Galchenyuk/Murray are the guys to go for at #2 overall. Of course, Howson could go off the reservation and pick someone like Dumba/Reinhart etc.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

These "drop off drafts" usually have a few guys rated lower that are usually better than people thought they would be, and sometimes excel while the higher picks falter.

I've been trying to find information about Yuk's playing career, but can't really find anything in my short search, and I wonder how Yuk's father being the coach of Sarnia would affect his play once he leaves that environment.

I think It's between Murray and Yuk, with perhaps Yuk having a bit of an edge. It's funny, all the mock drafts on NHL.com have us picking a different player. We already have some good defensive prospects, (Moore, Savard), allbeit not to the extent of Murray, but who do we have if Johanson falters?

We have Johnson and Wiz locked up for a while, along with Tyutin, if Moore or Savard don't work out we're not in horrible condition, and they both look like they're going to turn out to be at least top four d-men. Methot could have a rebound year after a year plagued with injuries.

Our pipeline on offense looks much worse than on defense, IMO.

But I wouldn't be disappointed with really anyone that's available at the draft, but I'd give Yuk the edge.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about the offense. Kubalik and Calvert probably are third line players if they fill out to their potential, withBoom being a 2c tweener. I think Galchenyuk has the edge, but with so many people predicting so many different things after the #1, if we move down to something like #5 (Toronto), then I wouldn't be surprised to see Galchenyuk, Forsberg and Murray taken 2,3,4.

We have a blue chip prospect in Johan, but who fills the elusive role of #1C if he falters? I'm not saying stop trying to improve the blueline, but I think Johnson may be our #1, and he's locked up for awhile. We don't have a #1C. Maybe we should consider that fact for a moment. Johan hasn't proven anything yet, and if both him and Yuk work out, then we have an awesome center tandem and maybe even awesome down the three lines if Boom pans out.

I also think that it might be relevant to point out that Galchenyuk is actually American born. I wonder if Howson wasn't too disappointed in not getting the draft pick, because that fact alleviates the "russian factor" a little.

Last edited by Friedrich: 05-05-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old
05-05-2012, 06:48 AM
jacks johnson

I know some will say I'm biased towards galchenyuk, and I am. But it's articles like this citing scouts that make me think in no way should we take Murray at #2.

Today, 04:55 AM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

Check out this bit by Cory Pronmon over at Copper n' Blue:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/5/2/...-100#storyjump

Quote:
What is surprising about #6 is that it's not Ryan Murray. A number of Draft Analysts have quietly moved Murray down their rankings, Pronman among them. As recently as March, he had Murray ranked 4th, but according to Corey: "I struggled a lot with ranking Ryan Murray. He's been on the prospect scene for a while, but I still got very diverging thoughts from scouts and from my own viewings about how good offensively he will be. Depending who you talk to, one scout will praise the elite vision while another will say he lacks the puck skills and doesn't play that much of an offensive style."

For that contingent of fans that want to trade the #1 overall pick and draft Ryan Murray with the return should take note. Pronman is not the only Analyst with other defensemen in front of Murray. He remains neck-and-neck with Matthew Dumba, but I've seen Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly and Jacob Trouba all ranked in front of him as well.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:58 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Just because he might not be a 40 or 50 point defenseman doesnt bother me a bit. Who wouldnt like to have a Ryan Suter type player on their team?

Closed Thread