HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

San Jose Sharks gamble paid off at the 2007 Draft

Old
05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
San Jose Sharks gamble paid off at the 2007 Draft

The 2007 NHL Entry Draft started with the Sharks organization trading to get two first-round picks in order to select their targeted players.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
nice find. i remember we're all kinda hurt when we dealt tosky. but it turned out great for us.

"in the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should"

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Definitely not an expert on Petrecki's development, but all accounts I have read state that he is quickly approaching bust territory.

Couture and Braun are two nice grabs out of that draft. Haven't been able to see what Sexsmith can really do at the NHL level yet. Mclaren is a nice 4th line player, but I don't know if he breaks into the Sharks line up this year.

When looking long term the Sharks desperately need a good draft this year.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
Definitely not an expert on Petrecki's development, but all accounts I have read state that he is quickly approaching bust territory.

Couture and Braun are two nice grabs out of that draft. Haven't been able to see what Sexsmith can really do at the NHL level yet. Mclaren is a nice 4th line player, but I don't know if he breaks into the Sharks line up this year.

When looking long term the Sharks desperately need a good draft this year.
When you read my article on the Sharks new Top 20 list you will see how far Petrecki has fallen. He's 23 years old and a restricted free agent. I couldn't call him a bust yet in the article because the Sharks hadn't released him or decided not to re-sign him. I would expect San Jose to sign him to only one year and give him their expectations for the coming season.

I hope he has learned this past season from watching how Pelech prepares and plays the game because this is how he needs to play but will need to bring more offense with his shot. Petrecki needs to be more disciplined, stay in better position and stop going after the big hit. He needs to make smarter plays with and without the puck while getting that big shot of his on the net and start using it more often. There's a lot more little things like his gap control, angling position, not reading the attacking forwards strengths and weakness to control where to force the opposing player at his blue line, poor boxing out in front of the net, taking the outside approach instead of the inside, in the defensive zone corners and giving away the middle ice in his end. These are things that are happening to all the prospects to some extent but it's the repeating of the same mistakes and no corrections that can force an organization to release a player. Some prospects have less of these things to correct but slowly correct them and there are others who still do it as pros but less often.

If he can't start showing any of this kind of improvement this coming season there's a good chance that he never will and would likely be let go by the Sharks.

Sexsmith is a battler, never give up on the play netminder and was a playoff goalie in the WHL but needs to continue to regaining his confidence at the AHL level with another good year this coming season but don't count him out just yet.

McLaren needs to work more on his overall hockey skills and try to pick his fights when needed. He's on the fence if he doesn't show more offensive contribution.

You are very right about the Sharks needing a good draft over the next couple of years. Next year is looking like a deeper skill level draft compared to this years. You just never know when it comes to prospects what will happen but the proper development of them is so very important.

Thanks for reading my article and your comment.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
When you read my article on the Sharks new Top 20 list you will see how far Petrecki has fallen. He's 23 years old and a restricted free agent. I couldn't call him a bust yet in the article because the Sharks hadn't released him or decided not to re-sign him. I would expect San Jose to sign him to only one year and give him their expectations for the coming season.

I hope he has learned this past season from watching how Pelech prepares and plays the game because this is how he needs to play but will need to bring more offense with his shot. Petrecki needs to be more disciplined, stay in better position and stop going after the big hit. He needs to make smarter plays with and without the puck while getting that big shot of his on the net and start using it more often. There's a lot more little things like his gap control, angling position, not reading the attacking forwards strengths and weakness to control where to force the opposing player at his blue line, poor boxing out in front of the net, taking the outside approach instead of the inside, in the defensive zone corners and giving away the middle ice in his end. These are things that are happening to all the prospects to some extent but it's the repeating of the same mistakes and no corrections that can force an organization to release a player. Some prospects have less of these things to correct but slowly correct them and there are others who still do it as pros but less often.

If he can't start showing any of this kind of improvement this coming season there's a good chance that he never will and would likely be let go by the Sharks.

Sexsmith is a battler, never give up on the play netminder and was a playoff goalie in the WHL but needs to continue to regaining his confidence at the AHL level with another good year this coming season but don't count him out just yet.

McLaren needs to work more on his overall hockey skills and try to pick his fights when needed. He's on the fence if he doesn't show more offensive contribution.

You are very right about the Sharks needing a good draft over the next couple of years. Next year is looking like a deeper skill level draft compared to this years. You just never know when it comes to prospects what will happen but the proper development of them is so very important.

Thanks for reading my article and your comment.
That sums up what I have heard on petrecki nicely. He seems like he has all the tools, but not the smarts to put it all together. Big strong guy, but lacks some quality hockey sense. I watched him at BC a bit, and he seemed able to get away with a lot of mistakes because he was bigger than most people he played against. Many had high hopes for him here in San Jose. I remember a lot of instant "man crushes" the day he was drafted. "A faster more offensive version of Murray" was a pretty popular comparison around here. I have pretty much given up hope on him at this point.

What worries me is how depleted the Sharks prospect pool is. There are no legitimate top 6 wingers coming up through the system, and no top pairing defensemen either. It seems to be very middle of the pack type of guys. It reminds me of the Golden State Warriors. If the Sharks aren't bad enough to get top draft picks they won't be able to replenish the ranks, and may drift into mediocrity. I'm looking at DW to make some serious moves with current assets to grab some top draft picks over the next few years. It will be essential to this team sustaining their success.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Petrecki is like a d-man version of MPS: All the tools without the toolbox. If he doesn't steer out of this spiral, he's definitely headed towards busthood fast.

That being said, the Sharks will need to start rebuilding soon and I just hope they don't **** it up like the Leafs have.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Petrecki is like a d-man version of MPS: All the tools without the toolbox. If he doesn't steer out of this spiral, he's definitely headed towards busthood fast.

That being said, the Sharks will need to start rebuilding soon and I just hope they don't **** it up like the Leafs have.
Actually he seems to be heading towards busthood incredibly slowly

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Actually he seems to be heading towards busthood incredibly slowly

I'd trade him straight up for MPS in a heartbeat. He's actually made the NHL and his advanced stats show that he was incredibly unlucky for the most part. Something like a 2% on-ice shooting percentage, a great Corsi, playing with 4th liners.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote