HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The problem with these boards is you will get a lot of people that hate anything that is non-hockey related. I love when Gregor gets those analysts from other sports. I don't care too much about the NBA, but I still listen to see what is up.

Sutherby was great yesterday. Missed Spector but he's always good for a chuckle.
I definitely agree. I'm not huge into baseball or football, and even less so basketball, but I still consider myself a sports fan so I enjoy getting a little info/some updates about whats going on in the other leagues.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Yeah I enjoyed listening to Sutherby talk about the different coaches. I always thought the best coaches I played for were guys who are approachable and just treat you honestly so it's not surprising to hear that that's the way Tippett coaches and is able to get the most out of his players.
Coaching isn't an exact science in my books. Different groups of players need different type of coaches. I mean if you are a team who had this nice coach that was there to be your friend and coach, but instead of winning you are losing and are in happy land then maybe a hard ass is what you need next time around.

Another thing that I've heard a lot on gregor's show from good coaches or players talking about good coaches is their ability to adapt to the situation. Whether it's the situation in the locker room, your on ice play or if you are in the playoffs your ability to adapt to an opposing teams strategy.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:28 AM
abootzky

vCash: 500
I'm not sure if very many actually have heard it but Corey Graham does a really nice job of calling the Oil Kings' games- comparing quite favourably to the dozen or so other WHL broadcasters I've heard online this season. Even though I quite like Jack Michaels & Bob Stauffer as people, the tandem of Graham & Kent Simpson present the game in a much more straightforward and less annoying way than their Oilers counterparts.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I'm not sure if very many actually have heard it but Corey Graham does a really nice job of calling the Oil Kings' games- comparing quite favourably to the dozen or so other WHL broadcasters I've heard online this season. Even though I quite like Jack Michaels & Bob Stauffer as people, the tandem of Graham & Kent Simpson present the game in a much more straightforward and less annoying way than their Oilers counterparts.
Agreed.

Corey has done a fantastic job. Kent Simpson has been good too. Ive got no complaints and only good things to say about those guys.

The other two...........

They are most likely the worst broadcast team in the nhl.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:27 AM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
While Corey has a lot of room for improvements, i am able to follow the game much better and get a feel of the game listening to him on the radio.

Jack Michaels has good vocal but i can't visualize the game listening to him. It's more like those ESPN radio highlight where it is not doing play by play, but it's giving you a scoring update.

For me, the problem is, Michaels starts talking about stats and other stuffs way too much while the play was going on. Then if there is a scoring chance developed, he had to quickly raise his voice to rush in a few words before yelling "score!" in an attempt to create the excitement. And that came across as kind of fake or not genuine due to the lack of a proper build up prior to the play. All i'm hearing as a listener is some stats and all of a sudden some yelling about a play that i had no idea how it came about.

With Rod, I could almost always feel a goal is coming for the Oilers or we are about to get scored on.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:32 AM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
I listened to the Oil Kings game for the first time tonight and was pleasantly surprised. They were informative and I felt, as you put it, less annoyed than when I listen to Stauffer and Michaels.

I didn't like Jack Michaels when he started but I was hoping he'd grow on me eventually which unfortunately hasn't been the case.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
OilerFan4Life

Jack Michaels is horrendous.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:28 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Jack Michaels is horrendous.
Come on he isn't that bad.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Come on he isn't that bad.
I really want both Michaels & Stauffer to do well partly because I admire that they've made it to the NHL as broadcasters from hockey's depths (ECHL & CIS). They need to realize that it's a radio broadcast and therefore the game is the thing. The trivia, stories and other banter during play need to be all but eliminated. Perhaps more focus on the actual on-ice action will lead Michaels to developing a true signature goal call- preferably one that includes the word "SCORES!".

Old
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
I really want both Michaels & Stauffer to do well partly because I admire that they've made it to the NHL as broadcasters from hockey's depths (ECHL & CIS). They need to realize that it's a radio broadcast and therefore the game is the thing. The trivia, stories and other banter during play need to be all but eliminated. Perhaps more focus on the actual on-ice action will lead Michaels to developing a true signature goal call- preferably one that includes the word "SCORES!".
You think they each have a capacity to make such major changes in their styles at this point?

Old
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Qrispy

Michaels doesn't have the voice to call games. How could they hire this guy. Rod Phillips is disappoint.

Old
05-06-2012, 12:21 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I'm not certain if he's done pbp before in other leagues, but when it was rumoured Rishaug was somewhat in the running I was rather intrigued. Seems to have the voice for it.

Jack Michaels and his "player name, WOW" calls really get on my nerves.

Last edited by T-Funk: 05-06-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
05-06-2012, 01:41 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Rishaug recently did pbp for the Allan Cup and the Telus Cup I believe.

I think it was his fourth or fifth year of doing the Allan Cup.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
You think they each have a capacity to make such major changes in their styles at this point?
I would hope so because the changes wouldn't really be that major. Call the action with less 'clutter' and call goals the way Canadian fans expect them to be called. How hard can that be- especially with their 'job of a lifetime' hanging in the balance?

Old
05-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

I'm all for Rishaug being the new pbp guy. Can't be any worse than crack michaels

Old
05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
I would hope so because the changes wouldn't really be that major. Call the action with less 'clutter' and call goals the way Canadian fans expect them to be called. How hard can that be- especially with their 'job of a lifetime' hanging in the balance?
I just don't see it. Old dogs and new tricks and all that.

Stauffer does have an amazing capacity to change -- from the org's #1 detractor to their #1 bootlicker overnight -- but that's not a good kind of change.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I just don't see it. Old dogs and new tricks and all that.

Stauffer does have an amazing capacity to change -- from the org's #1 detractor to their #1 bootlicker overnight -- but that's not a good kind of change.
Jack Michaels is really young - mid 30s. I'm sure he has the capacity to change or alter his style.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Jack Michaels is really young - mid 30s. I'm sure he has the capacity to change or alter his style.
Is this a "1 in a million, you mean there's a chance" thing, or something you truly think is reasonably possible?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
OvenChicken8

I really enjoy Jack. His banter with Stauffer is right up my alley.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:59 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I'm not certain if he's done pbp before in other leagues, but when it was rumoured Rishaug was somewhat in the running I was rather intrigued. Seems to have the voice for it.

Jack Michaels and his "player name, WOW" calls really get on my nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Rishaug recently did pbp for the Allan Cup and the Telus Cup I believe.

I think it was his fourth or fifth year of doing the Allan Cup.
Can't imagine Rishaug doing radio, he is brutal as a play by play on TV. Too much silence in his call, seems like he is trying to figure out what to say but then the play changes and he has to think it over a again. More suited for a play by play.

Have to agree that Campbell and Stauffer are disappointing though.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

I never really paid much attention to Corey's calls on 1260, but WOW he speaks with so much emotion and I like that.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Anyone catch Strudwick's remark on getting rid of visors. He was saying if more guys hurt themselves while delivering hits that maybe guys would smarten up and not led with their heads and not leave them in compromising positions. He also talked about how kids are taught at a very young age to play with body armor and play with no fear.

Doubtful either ever happens, but the theory is if people got banged up a bit when they are younger that they'd maybe think twice about playing with their heads down.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
He also talked about how kids are taught at a very young age to play with body armor and play with no fear.
It's a catch 22, you have to protect the kids as best you can so you end up with all this exceptional equipment but then those kids grow up to be men and know only what they were exposed to as a kid.

On a related note to the TEAM 1260 part of things, that Gregor Strudwick segment yesterday was some of the worst radio I have ever heard.

The way Gregor was telling Strudwick what professional hockey players can and can't do was borderline embarassing. The way he kept talking over Strudwick and not letting him get a word in edgewise reminded me of an argument with my wife.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:19 AM
trent_vinyl

Quote:
Anyone catch Strudwick's remark on getting rid of visors. He was saying if more guys hurt themselves while delivering hits that maybe guys would smarten up and not led with their heads and not leave them in compromising positions. He also talked about how kids are taught at a very young age to play with body armor and play with no fear.

Doubtful either ever happens, but the theory is if people got banged up a bit when they are younger that they'd maybe think twice about playing with their heads down.
I didn't catch that but I've been a big proponent of reducing the size/strength of players equipment for ages now. Not only would it cut down on injuries/concussions but if the size/strength of shin pads could be reduced somewhat it would probably also cut down on a players interest in blocking shots (which is getting to outrageous proportions in today's game).

Old
05-16-2012, 09:20 AM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
My only complaints with Jack's play by play is the constant reference "Here come the Oilers from left to right"

I know he is trying to paint a picture and all, but seems to be his go-to filler when he doesn't know what to say....we dont need it 20 times a period.

That, and like mentioned before, he needs a definative goal call. He can sneak a goal by you if you aren't paying 100% attention.

I like his personality though, and I enjoy listening to him and Bob. He'll never replace Rod, no one can, as no-one can outdo a childhood memory, but I am happy with what we have.

I'm not a Tencer fan though I can't put my finger on why, but he just rubs me the wrong way.

Closed Thread