HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

St. John's Ice Caps Inaugural Season Thread.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
I am not a big poster in this forum, but I do disagree with this bolded part. The Hershey Bears and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins have a rivalry. Ever since Wilkes-Barre/Scranton rejoined the league, these two teams have been rivals. There are rivalries. For St. John's not yet. It will come.
You are right of course. Two big rivalries that come to mind are vs the Sharks for there general level of Goonery and vs the Marlies due to history. "I remember heartily chanting, Khadri Sucks last fall.

Don't forget Frankie is a disgruntled QMJHL fan who cannot adjust to the fact that St. John's is an AHL city.

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
You are right of course. Two big rivalries that come to mind are vs the Sharks for there general level of Goonery and vs the Marlies due to history. "I remember heartily chanting, Khadri Sucks last fall.

Don't forget Frankie is a disgruntled QMJHL fan who cannot adjust to the fact that St. John's is an AHL city.
Like someone mentioned earlier it will take time.Outside of Saint John I dont remember the Fog Devils having many rivals?

I loved chanting Kadri sucks and I hope he can return next year for it.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
Like someone mentioned earlier it will take time.Outside of Saint John I dont remember the Fog Devils having many rivals?
To have rivals you have to be in the games

Old
05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Canadienjet

To be honest why is the QMJHL vs AHL discussion still going on?The city has spoken what's done is done and that's that, .

I like the Fog Devils,Leafs and the IceCaps.

It didn't matter to me what we got as long as we had hockey as opposed to 38 nights of emptyness at Mile One.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Trevor3

St. John's was and IS an AHL city. The point of this discussion is questioning why the junior game was outright rejected by the people of St. John's, and Newfoundland in general, while many cities of similar and larger size in Canada have embraced major junior and would never want to move to an AHL franchise.

I love the fact that St. John's has the IceCaps. I was thrilled when the Moose moved to the city and couldn't wait to see a game. Unfortunately, I live either 800km of highway away or a $350 one way flight to St. John's, take your pick. I finally had the chance to see a game, went out for supper the evening of and then got sick from the food I ate... total disappointment. For some reason, I nor anyone else in this province, was ever that excited about the Q. Even though it was a more natural fit for St. John's with the potential for strong rivals with Halifax and Cape Breton, plus the number of NL born players in the league and skating for the Fog Devils.

Frankie's point regarding the Moose in Winnipeg was that though they were supported, the city always had it's eye on the NHL at the end of the day and were quite willing to part with a second rate product. And no fault of them, the 'peg is an NHL city and deserved the Jets back. St. John's has always had its eye on the AHL. It's just odd that St. John's had to have the AHL, junior was not acceptable.

Everybody has their tastes, and in St. John's people prefer the AHL in general. Why? That's the perplexing part. The people who have sold out Mile One all season have spoken that this is what they want and it seems to be because it's closer to the NHL than the CHL is. Fair enough, but it just seems a curious item that every other fair sized market in the country than isn't in the NHL works better with the CHL than the American league. We clearly have a different taste for our puck, but why? Junior is embraced across Canada, in Newfoundland we kicked it to the curb with an emphatic "batter da jesus outta here" and haven't looked back.

There was a stronger movement to bring the ECHL to St. John's, an even lower pro league with a lower skill level, than to acquire any number of Q teams that were up for sale last summer. I've never seen the ECHL so I can't comment on what the play level is like beyond lower than the AHL. Again a preference for the pro game, regardless of level, over the Canadian junior game. It's just strange to many, even some supporters of the IceCaps, that where a lower cost option like the Q failed, a higher cost AHL team has flourished.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenshockeyfan View Post
To me Schiefle wasn't that impressive. Imo Zach O'Brien did just as well or better in the few games that he played with the team the past two weeks. And to not have players like O'Dell and Clark in the playoff lineup even though they played with the team the whole year and did a great job just because Winnipeg wants their star draft pick to play?
I have been watching HFBOARDS now for about 6 years. The post I've quoted has forced me to create an account and respond.

I can assure you that is incorrect. I've seen each of the games both boys have played in. O'brien was out of his element. His skating ability was below subpar for whats needed in the professional world. O'brien only played redline to slot, north to south. His defencive ability was an exact reflection of his 101 point year while maintaining a -2 rating. In both games O'brien played, he neglected to go anywhere near the boards. He went from the oppositions slot to the red-line. That was it. That type of play can pay off and get you 50 goals in junior, however once your playing with grown-men you have to be able to get your nose dirty and be responsible in your own end as well.

Scheifele has been excellent. He's won key faceoffs, his skating doesn't lag, fantastic back-check, incredible vision, and an NHLers hockey-sense. In both series Scheifele has played fantastic. The WBS series so far, he's elevated himself to another level on a line with Klingberg and Rosa. The second game of the series, the IceCaps came out flat, however I payed particular notice to Scheifele (as I have been each game), and he still played a well game.

To say Obrien played just as well as Scheifele is obsurd. To say he possibly played better is something only Helen Kellar would sign.

Scheifele will have a great career in the NHL, O'brien is suited for the ECHL route (much like the route Burrows took), to help development other important aspects of the professional game.

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
St. John's was and IS an AHL city. The point of this discussion is questioning why the junior game was outright rejected by the people of St. John's, and Newfoundland in general, while many cities of similar and larger size in Canada have embraced major junior and would never want to move to an AHL franchise.

I love the fact that St. John's has the IceCaps. I was thrilled when the Moose moved to the city and couldn't wait to see a game. Unfortunately, I live either 800km of highway away or a $350 one way flight to St. John's, take your pick. I finally had the chance to see a game, went out for supper the evening of and then got sick from the food I ate... total disappointment. For some reason, I nor anyone else in this province, was ever that excited about the Q. Even though it was a more natural fit for St. John's with the potential for strong rivals with Halifax and Cape Breton, plus the number of NL born players in the league and skating for the Fog Devils.

Frankie's point regarding the Moose in Winnipeg was that though they were supported, the city always had it's eye on the NHL at the end of the day and were quite willing to part with a second rate product. And no fault of them, the 'peg is an NHL city and deserved the Jets back. St. John's has always had its eye on the AHL. It's just odd that St. John's had to have the AHL, junior was not acceptable.

Everybody has their tastes, and in St. John's people prefer the AHL in general. Why? That's the perplexing part. The people who have sold out Mile One all season have spoken that this is what they want and it seems to be because it's closer to the NHL than the CHL is. Fair enough, but it just seems a curious item that every other fair sized market in the country than isn't in the NHL works better with the CHL than the American league. We clearly have a different taste for our puck, but why? Junior is embraced across Canada, in Newfoundland we kicked it to the curb with an emphatic "batter da jesus outta here" and haven't looked back.

There was a stronger movement to bring the ECHL to St. John's, an even lower pro league with a lower skill level, than to acquire any number of Q teams that were up for sale last summer. I've never seen the ECHL so I can't comment on what the play level is like beyond lower than the AHL. Again a preference for the pro game, regardless of level, over the Canadian junior game. It's just strange to many, even some supporters of the IceCaps, that where a lower cost option like the Q failed, a higher cost AHL team has flourished.
All I wants is an IceCaps thread that does not turn into a QMJHL vs AHL pissing match.

Just talk about the team during the playoffs on the ice.

We have beaten this horse beyond death and like I said what's done is done.

Last edited by Canadienjet: 05-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old
05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
trouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenshockeyfan View Post
To me Schiefle wasn't that impressive. Imo Zach O'Brien did just as well or better in the few games that he played with the team the past two weeks. And to not have players like O'Dell and Clark in the playoff lineup even though they played with the team the whole year and did a great job just because Winnipeg wants their star draft pick to play? That's one of the many reasons I'd rather a CHL team over an AHL one any day. With a CHL team at least for the most part your roster is set for the season and the GM gets to have the team that he wants because the scouts report directly to him and they do the drafting themselves. With an AHL team there's not much for the GM to do because all the work is done by the parent team and the AHL team is at their mercy.

GarbageGoal I would be willing to bet that you have never seen a CHL game because those players could skate rings around high schoolers.

IceCapsFanNL Claude Giroux spent all of 33 games in the AHL and has been with Philadelphia ever since; Letang spent 11 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and has patrolled the Pittsburgh blueline ever since; Voracek went right from Halifax to Columbus; Fleury played a total of 12 games in WBS and has been with Pittsburgh ever since. St. John’s best player Paul Postma has now spent three seasons in the AHL with four—count them—four NHL games under his belt. Ditto for Cormier too—30 NHL games in three pro seasons. Both of them will not be the star players on their NHL teams than the others mentioned.

When St. John’s played Syracuse last week the best two NHL star prospects on the ice were not IceCaps because Emerson Etem and Kyle Palmieri were star NHLers in an AHL game.

I hope the fans in Saint John appreciate that wonderful team they have because I sure wish that was us in St. John's.
Get off your Newfie Googles ,for 1 Zack O Brian played 1 game. Not games he played less then 10 min.He was so good the Icecaps did not deem him usefull to practise against with the black aces,where as players like Sides Dries O Neil and a OHL player. Are still their.It shows he was not worth a practice player.I guess he be lucky to go ECHL or prob CIS

Last edited by Majik1987: 05-08-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: personal info
trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
McGreat One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
yeah, in theory they should be working their hardest to get out and make more money. i suppose most do, most of the time. although there are a lot of boring, passionless games in the ahl.

i found the junior aged players played for the love of the game moreso than ahlers do. they have an attachment to the community they play in. the ahlers don't. none of these current icecaps care anything about winning for the fans in st.john's. they're just trying to work their way out.

its strange in that newfoundlanders are apparently the only canadians who think this way. just as a couple of examples, bigger cities like halifax and quebec city much prefer junior hockey. the ahl failed on both places, and the qmjhl has thrived in both cities for years.

i just don't know why newfoundlanders are so drastically different in their tastes of hockey.

why do we see so much junior hockey on national tv, yet we see absolutely no ahl hockey at all? if it makes so much sense to want to see the highest quality hockey we can see, wouldn't sportsnet be showing ahl games instead of junior games?
I think the reason for this has a lot to do with the fact that junior hockey is a Canadian league. Most of the teams in all 3 junior leagues are based in Canada whereas the AHL only consists of 4 Canadian teams. Maybe the national coverage plays a major part in why other cities prefer a junior team. Maybe these cities are not educated enough about the AHL to know what the AHL provides but I'm really not sure. I guess some people just have a difference of opinion and I guess this is the case between you and the rest of Newfoundland.

McGreat One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
I think the reason for this has a lot to do with the fact that junior hockey is a Canadian league. Most of the teams in all 3 junior leagues are based in Canada whereas the AHL only consists of 4 Canadian teams. Maybe the national coverage plays a major part in why other cities prefer a junior team. Maybe these cities are not educated enough about the AHL to know what the AHL provides but I'm really not sure. I guess some people just have a difference of opinion and I guess this is the case between you and the rest of Newfoundland.
I think it's the other way around. NLers are not educated enough about junior hockey. Mainlanders are educated enough about the AHL to realize that junior is better.

womenshockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Frankie

Quote:
This is Frankies most common theme. Basically he is saying that the rest of Canada "gets it" about the CHL and AHL, and by inference we must be somehow wrong headed to prefer the AHL here in St. John's. There is a sense of self-superiority in Frankies posts as he of course in his own mind, "gets it".
i just find it interesting and perplexing as to why newfoundlanders are so different. and yeah, i think the fans here are definitely missing something the rest of canada is getting.

Quote:
It has to be tough realizing that a large majority of your fellow hockey fans reject your preference.
it is.

Quote:
Do I have to post those Fog Devils attendances again?
i don't know why you would? what would you be trying to prove?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Frankie

Quote:

a couple of garth murray fights doesn't mean there's a rivalry. the average season ticket holder in st.john's couldn't name one player on the worcester sharks.

the marlies? yeah, may have a rivalry there due to the history of the baby leafs.

there are certainly no geographic rivalries.

and yeah, i'm a disgruntled fan who wishes the qmjhl was still in st.john's. so what? i'm not hiding that fact.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Frankie

Quote:
To be honest why is the QMJHL vs AHL discussion still going on?The city has spoken what's done is done and that's that, .
because icecapsfannl keeps bringing it up. if you go back to post #44 in this thread, you'll see he brought it up out of nowhere because he didn't like what he was hearing about the icecaps calder cup chances.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
a couple of garth murray fights doesn't mean there's a rivalry. the average season ticket holder in st.john's couldn't name one player on the worcester sharks.

the marlies? yeah, may have a rivalry there due to the history of the baby leafs.

there are certainly no geographic rivalries.

and yeah, i'm a disgruntled fan who wishes the qmjhl was still in st.john's. so what? i'm not hiding that fact.
Frankie we can get our fill of Q hockey on Sportsnet tonight because the Q finals are on Sportsnet and I'll bet it will be one great game too.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Alpine

I'm really trying to understand the argument here?
The AHL works in NL that's great.
AUS works in Fredericton that's great.
Jr A works in Summerside that's great.
Q works in other Atlantic centres that's great.
Who cares? What works is what works enjoy.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
very good questions. there were some other factors at play too.

the city of st.john's hated the fact that they lost the bid for a qmjhl team, and they made things very difficult for the fog devils to succeed. and a bigger factor, the fog devils did nothing to market and promote the team. they had no front office staff or marketing people in place. sad to say, but basically they didn't know what they were doing.

had the city been awarded the qmjhl team, i think it'd still be here. had danny williams and glenn stanford bought and run a qmjhl team in st. john's, i'm sure it would be a resounding success like the icecaps are.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Canadienjet

Anyways unlike most in this thread I'm going to talk about the team.

Guys gotta show much more effort because Wednesday was the worst game of the year.

The vets in particular have to step it up.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:34 PM
trouty

And the junior game is slow boring and not near the pace of ahl as I'm watching it. Yawn

trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 06:35 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
very good questions. there were some other factors at play too.

the city of st.john's hated the fact that they lost the bid for a qmjhl team, and they made things very difficult for the fog devils to succeed. and a bigger factor, the fog devils did nothing to market and promote the team. they had no front office staff or marketing people in place. sad to say, but basically they didn't know what they were doing.

had the city been awarded the qmjhl team, i think it'd still be here. had danny williams and glenn stanford bought and run a qmjhl team in st. john's, i'm sure it would be a resounding success like the icecaps are.
Agredd on all counts. After three years of no hockey here we don't know if a Q team would work or not because it wasn't tried. if Danny had wanted to run his own team he should have given Leo-Guy Morrissette a call because he will never own the IceCaps.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Anyways unlike most in this thread I'm going to talk about the team.

Guys gotta show much more effort because Wednesday was the worst game of the year.

The vets in particular have to step it up.
the conversation probably keeps straying off course because there's not much to talk about with this team. they're boring. very bland personalities, very much a reflection of the coach. they're all just robots.

and the series is boring, there's no rivalry with wilkes-barre, no passion. that's why there's not much to discuss regarding the team or the series itself.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
the conversation probably keeps straying off course because there's not much to talk about with this team. they're boring. very bland personalities, very much a reflection of the coach. they're all just robots.

and the series is boring, there's no rivalry with wilkes-barre, no passion. that's why there's not much to discuss regarding the team or the series itself.
I have to disagree with you.I must ask have you ever seen Klingberg?

Guys a laugh on twitter he loves Newfoundland music and you could distingish him from a crowd.I have met him a few time and guys a laugh.

I dont want a sideshow on the bench like Roy or Tortarella.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:40 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Everyone who follows the Caps and Jets should note this, and view posts from this individual with this in mind

Old
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Alpine

What's best is what you have,
Here's a vid from Madawaska/Victoria Counties NB Senior hockey 2012 Championship
Do these people care that it's not top level or as in most of Canada is it my home town my team. That's all the matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIEG...layer_embedded

From an NBer Go IceCaps...Allez-Y

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
because icecapsfannl keeps bringing it up. if you go back to post #44 in this thread, you'll see he brought it up out of nowhere because he didn't like what he was hearing about the icecaps calder cup chances.
It's more like I find it distasteful to hear a local hockey fan seemingly looking for any chance to run down all the excitement there is in this city over the return of the AHL.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
It's more like I find it distasteful to hear a local hockey fan seemingly looking for any chance to run down all the excitement there is in this city over the return of the AHL.
it's his opinion and seeing we live in freedom he has a right to express it. He's not the only one in the city who feels the same way either. Not every hockey fan in the metro area is enthralled with the AHL.