HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Sacrifices Have You Been Making to Watch the Rangers Playoff Games?

Old
05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
What Sacrifices Have You Been Making to Watch the Rangers Playoff Games?

Now not everyone here works the prototypical 9-5, Monday to Friday job. I unfortunately work in the retail grocery industry. My hours are very erratic. I've had to switch for shifts with less hours at another time during the day, and today I even had to do a $20 bribe with the only co worker I could switch with to see tomorrow's game. Thankfully class is no longer a factor...

At work anytime I switch or call out (I've never called out to watch a Rangers game, I don't deserve that much of a bad rep!) it is automatically assumed that I did so to watch a Rangers game. I can't count on my scheduler or my boss for sympathy either. Both of which are in their 50's and never gave a rat's ass about sports.

I need to find one of those 9-5 jobs.

What sacrifices have you guys made to watch the Rangers' playoff games?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
I don't go out and have no social life.

Saturday nights are spent on my couch, watching hockey.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I've had to rearrange a lot of my retail shifts so that I'm not working the late afternoon/night shift during a Rangers game.

I also have another job as a restaurant waiter on the weekends and I've just not scheduled any shifts for the days I know Rangers games are.

It's such a pain in the ass but I do whatever I can to not have to work when they play.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
SnowblindNYR

I was invited for birthright during the thick of the Stanley Cup Finals. This might be last year I can do it. I declined asked if I can postpone. They said I should look on the website. I haven't found anything, oh well.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Kershaw

Missed out on international business competition. Oh well maybe next year. (Although that would mean that the Rangers would be eliminated very early......)

Cut down on smoking blunt.

Thinking of the Rangers while writings tests.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
mti79

I'm a nurse who works 12 hour night shifts. My schedule is done 6 weeks in advance. I've tried to switch as many shifts as possible so I can watch the games live. Otherwise, I dvr the game and turn off my phone so as to avoid anything that may spoil it. If we get to the finals, I will call out if needed to see any possible clincher.

I have to work 3 12's in a row to be off monday. I'll get home around 8, sleep till 12, then head to the train in new haven as I got tickets for game 5.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:49 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

I watch 60+ Ranger-games live during the season, and when you consider most start 7pm-ish eastern time (1am in europe) and i have a 9-5 job (3am - 11am US eastern time), I think i sacrifise quite a lot

I love it though, and go to New York as often as I can, watched 20-ish games live at The Garden post lock out.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Rangers1985

Changed my work schedule.

Going to Kingston, Ontario tomorrow for a concert, but ill be there in time to watch the game.

Not sure whether Kingston leans Toronto or Ottawa but itll be nice im sure.

I think they get the Leafs on tv but are closer to Ottawa.

I think ive missed maybe 4 or 5 games all year.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:52 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

I'm assuming you guys have received no sympathy either. I usually have to lie or avoid saying my reason for switching shifts. It sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

One shift I had switched for was with a young girl who works with her mom. The girl came into cover for me but she had to bring her mom with her an hour before her shift started. Needles to say the mom was livid when she found out I had her come an hour early for me to watch a hockey game.

I lul'd haha. Thats on the girl not me she said it was all good lol.

Oh and on days when I can't switch I stream the game on my phone. I may get busted soon for that though lol.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 05-04-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

My emotional stability

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

None - I'm currently unemployed and I DVR all the hockey games anyway. Don't miss any of 'em.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Fish View Post
My emotional stability
Good answer.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:17 PM
mahonistan*

I've probably lost at least 20 years of my life this year between the NFC championship game and the Superbowl and this playoffs. I have
I broke up with a woman one time who put an ultimatum down that I could either watch the Rangers playoffs or be with her and I chose the Rangers.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I work in retail... so i just request to open if I can in advance (was able to do so for next weeks games)

Was able to switch my shift last Monday but bit the bullet for Game 3.. got home at 9:30ish and caught the last 5 of the 3rd and then the OT's so it worked out..

I have Saturdays off so that works out well for this series.. if we move on and play on a Sunday I will try to get it off and work on Saturday instead that week.

I've let it be known its for the Rangers.. it doesn't matter what the reason is, I'm not inconvienicing anyone by requesting to open two days.. have to close twice a week so I just make it up on whatever other days they want me to that week. I figure its better to be open about it rather than lying and having them know what its for anyway as they all know I'm a huge Rangers fan..

For the Sens series, before Game 6 and 7, my dumbass had forgot to ask for the days off in advance but I was able to see the schedule the day before it came out, and sure enough I was closing for both Game 6 and 7 but I got it changed before it was posted

Really think its been a great job by myself being able to work it out.

Told myself I won't call out for the first two rounds unless its elimination game, but come Conf Finals or possibily Stanley Cup.. I dunno.. kinda backed myself against the wall when it comes to calling out the night of a game, because some people will know.

Last edited by Fire Sather: 05-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Giacomin

I work in law enforcement as a Police Detective so I work different shifts. I voluntered to be the inside guy during game 6 and 7 of the Ottawa series so at worst I could hear the TV in the lunchroom and actually got lucky and hit a quiet period and got to watch most of game 7. Since they switched to ESPN radio it has been horrible listening to games in the car. WFAN was great.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:27 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

I work in retail and haven't been able to switch shifts with anyone who works in the same department I do and my schedule convienently fits so I miss every single game. I closed on Monday and Wednesday, and I have to work the afternoon on Saturday. ****ing sucks.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Fish View Post
My emotional stability
This cannot be understated.

I have broken so many things in my room already out of anger when the Rangers lose or something -- I shattered an Xbox controller when I thought Ovechkin scored in one of the OT periods (it looked to me like an in and out instead of a post and I freaked). Thrown beer bottles, thrown magazines, etc.

Needed so many xanaxes or drinks to calm down, pulling my hair out and sweating so hard during games...ugh

Buddy of mine broke his 52" television when he threw a beer bottle into it during one of the Ottawa OT losses. Heh, that was pretty bad.

Yes, biggest sacrifice is my sanity.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:36 PM
mahonistan*

I've also sacrificed my appearance with my playoff beard. i started growing it when they clinched the playoffs and its freaking out of hand. Hopefully I won't be able to shave until mid june after metaphorically taking a sip from the Holy Grail.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:41 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I've probably lost at least 20 years of my life this year between the NFC championship game and the Superbowl and this playoffs. I have
I broke up with a woman one time who put an ultimatum down that I could either watch the Rangers playoffs or be with her and I chose the Rangers.
Any woman that gives me that ultimatum ain't the woman for me either brotha!

Old
05-04-2012, 10:59 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

sleep, by far
and twitter since I watch every game on dvr

I am in an unbelievably busy time at work. On average I leave my place around 7-7:30am and work until 7-8pm, then I go to the office to deal with paperwork until 10-11pm. On average I start watching the games on dvr around 11. I take losses even harder because I'm pissed they wasted my sleep time lol.

Morning after last game I could've punched a puppy I was so tired.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:59 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

a normal 7:30 start is 08:30 AM the next day for me,

game 4 local faceoff time will be 1:30AM Sunday

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

If the Rangers win in 5 games I don't have to switch my Wednesday shift!

Please God end this in 5.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I figure if we don't have to play on Wed. I can offer to close for someone so I can use it as bait to switch in futurue

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:09 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Normal blood pressure

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Baby Punisher

Right now i'm droping alot of cash on playoff tickets. That money would be better served for other things, like a new roof on my house, or my retirement accounts.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote