HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
It's gotta be Hamilton or Europe guys, gotta be...save the Cap space and move on...paying Gomez 4.5M and 5.5M the next two years and not have his 7.3M count vs the cap is the ONLY thing to do....
Those are really the only options unless the NHL and NHLPA allow a cap free buy out like in the last Collective Bargaining Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You'd think Molson would want to do this to give his rookie GM the best possible chance instead of handcuffing him with 8 mil on the cap over the next 2 years.

Strictly from a financial standpoint, the 3.3 mil extra Molson spends could turn into a huge proffit if that player we can add with that 4 mil/year helps put us in the playoffs or helps us get another playoff round. Every 2 extra 3 playoff games per round probably brings in 8-10 mil in gross revenue.
Completely disagree...

Based on that logic Montreal can sign a HUGE impact player by sending Gomez down and using the 7.3 mil cap hit or sign two very solid players (Defence) and (scoring Winger for Plek) which could turn out into not only making the playoffs but winning a couple rounds.

Best option is still to save the CAP by sending him to Europe the minors or with a stroke of luck where Montreal can buy him out without any cap implications (Amnesty Clause)

Last edited by Habsfan18: 05-04-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: merge
Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Completely disagree...

Based on that logic Montreal can sign a HUGE impact player by sending Gomez down and using the 7.3 mil cap hit or sign two very solid players (Defence) and (scoring Winger for Plek) which could turn out into not only making the playoffs but winning a couple rounds.

Best option is still to save the CAP by sending him to Europe the minors or with a stroke of luck where Montreal can buy him out without any cap implications (Amnesty Clause)
So why do you disagree? I'm confused by your response.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
GrangerX

One thing that has been encouraging since the firing of Gauthier is Molson's mantra about doing whatever is necessary to get the Habs back to where this franchise should be and what the fans deserve. McGuire reiterated this on air this week, basically saying I assume from the message he got during his interview process that Molson is entirely committed to doing whatever it takes.

Unless it's a consequence free post CBA deal (keep our fingers crossed for that), a buyout of Gomez conflicts directly with that ideal when the option that is way, way better for the organization and fans is to send him out to pasture in Hamilton or Europe and not create any dead cap space for our new management team. I don't know where Jean was getting this information from but I think he might have jumped the gun. I would not go so far as to agree with Bob Mac saying that anyone who orchestrates a 4 year cap hit Gomez buyout should resign in shame, but I'm confident this is not the route the Habs will take because it would be a terrible blunder and not give us the best chance to rebuild this team at an optimal pace.

GrangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
So why do you disagree? I'm confused by your response.
Because it sounds like you want Montreal to buy him out which is much much different then Sending to Hamilton or Europe, if that's not the case then I apologize.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Because it sounds like you want Montreal to buy him out which is much much different then Sending to Hamilton or Europe, if that's not the case then I apologize.
A buyout handcuffs Bergevin with 8 mil(3.5 + 4.5) on the cap the next two years hwile waivers and demotion does not. Maybe that comment confused you. I'm 100% against buyout and 100% for waivers/AHL/Europe.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
FlyingRat

I think people are way overstating the "negative" impact Gomez would have on our young prospects in Hamilton. It's not like he's known as a bad apple who will bring our youth down with him. He's just an overpaid player whose skills (and health) have eroded to the point where we can't play him in the NHL anymore.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
habitue*

Find him a good team in Switzerland and burry him there for the rest of his contract...

Or even better (if 99.9% impossible)... Trade him to another NHL team (for a 7th round pick in 2022) who desperately needs to reach the cap floor.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
I think people are way overstating the "negative" impact Gomez would have on our young prospects in Hamilton. It's not like he's known as a bad apple who will bring our youth down with him. He's just an overpaid player whose skills (and health) have eroded to the point where we can't play him in the NHL anymore.
That's a non factor either way. There is nothing saying he has to be assigned to Hamilton. Bergevin can go to him and say he was put on waivers and nobody claimed him so he is free to find a team anywhere in the world.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

Is there no NHL team that would accept Gomez if the Habs took back a contact that was easier to dump and added other considerations to the deal? Gomez has become a so-called "benign" tumor that isn't life-threatening but can't be excised because it overlies a vital organ or artery.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:56 PM
ClasslessGuy

Maybe Bob Hartley wants him with his swiss team?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
A buyout handcuffs Bergevin with 8 mil(3.5 + 4.5) on the cap the next two years hwile waivers and demotion does not. Maybe that comment confused you. I'm 100% against buyout and 100% for waivers/AHL/Europe.
I also thought you wanted to buy out Gomez' contact. When you mentioned the extra 3.whatever I assumed that was the only savings as opposed to 7.3 saving in buying him out.

As long as we all know that a buyout of his contract is probably one of the worst options. (Worst option is he plays and he produces similar results to this year...) But maybe that helps us draft MacKinnon then we will all argue hindsight

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:34 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerX View Post
One thing that has been encouraging since the firing of Gauthier is Molson's mantra about doing whatever is necessary to get the Habs back to where this franchise should be and what the fans deserve. McGuire reiterated this on air this week, basically saying I assume from the message he got during his interview process that Molson is entirely committed to doing whatever it takes.

Unless it's a consequence free post CBA deal (keep our fingers crossed for that), a buyout of Gomez conflicts directly with that ideal when the option that is way, way better for the organization and fans is to send him out to pasture in Hamilton or Europe and not create any dead cap space for our new management team. I don't know where Jean was getting this information from but I think he might have jumped the gun. I would not go so far as to agree with Bob Mac saying that anyone who orchestrates a 4 year cap hit Gomez buyout should resign in shame, but I'm confident this is not the route the Habs will take because it would be a terrible blunder and not give us the best chance to rebuild this team at an optimal pace.
Cant see Molson resigning as owner but given the reality of the Gomez contract halmstringing the GM and team in terms of Cap space and the great upset fans feel over this trade, keeping Gomez on the books for 4 years would be a horrible move and while I know a team is an investment, not a collectible, given the bucks the Habs bring in a buyout over burying would show me Molson is really about the money, and icing a top team just secondary.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Come on guys McKenzie told you all this days ago on TSN990. Anyone that thinks buying out Gomez on Habs should lose their job or resign. You bury him in the minors & free up the Cap Space, that's business. Buyout! Forget Parise if we buy him out, then we pay a Ghost 4 Million a year, Come on people re-search, think!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Come on guys McKenzie told you all this days ago on TSN990. Anyone that thinks buying out Gomez on Habs should lose their job or resign. You bury him in the minors & free up the Cap Space, that's business. Buyout! Forget Parise if we buy him out, then we pay a Ghost 4 Million a year, Come on people re-search, think!
Obviously for the good of the team you bury Gomez, it is a no brainer. The only question is whether Molson will pony up the few million ( I think thats what it is ) to bury him over buying him out at two thirds of his pay. This is where we see if Molson puts his money where his mouth is.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Obviously for the good of the team you bury Gomez, it is a no brainer. The only question is whether Molson will pony up the few million ( I think thats what it is ) to bury him over buying him out at two thirds of his pay. This is where we see if Molson puts his money where his mouth is.
He has to. If NYC can do it so can Montreal. As far as the class thing, Montreal broke every class record last year & Gomez is from that era, we need to start new & Scott is not part of new.

Hey let him play his way back from Hamilton.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Hugo Sham

they can't keep that cap hit, he needs to be sent to Hamilton

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
danslescoulisses which has been pretty spot on - from cammy trade, Gauthier firing, Bergevin hiring etc...has posted that the habs are going to ask the red wings permission to speak to babcock
lol

yea rite

dans les coulisses of their moms basement maybe

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
lol

yea rite

dans les coulisses of their moms basement maybe
No Kidding! Detroit has built an incredible loyalty Machine. That's why guys like Nill are impossible to crowbar out! Babcock may be from McGill, but you can't blame him for what happened in that Blues series.

Let's look at it this way, You only let a guy like Babcock go if there's someone better....there isn't on this whole entire planet. That's why he's the one Anglo exception even from hardcore Franco's!

Old
05-05-2012, 12:36 AM
OneSharpMarble

A buyout is a reward for Gomez, he can walk away and jump on another team for league minimum laughing the whole way. This **** deserves to ride the buses in the minors, make an example out of him.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
A buyout is a reward for Gomez, he can walk away and jump on another team for league minimum laughing the whole way. This **** deserves to ride the buses in the minors, make an example out of him.
He's not reponsible for his contract, it's not like if he should of said: hey I'm not worth 7m$ a year and I'm overrated, just give me 3m$ a year.

We could just send him to the minors but it would come always with the possibility of bringing him back when an injury occurs on the regular lineup, depending on whatever the coaching/management thinks of his performance in the minors. I think it's better to just close the books and get rid of the problem right away even with 3.5m$ of his salary still on the book for this year, something that is manageable and better than 5m$.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Scott still get's payed in full in minors. I said this 9 month's ago & still believe that he would be bad in Hamilton, as we have future men there, we need to make a deal to get him to ECHL to play for Alaska Aces, his home(He may go for it) or another AHL Team. Souray played in ECHL it wouldn't be a 1st!

Old
05-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Scott still get's payed in full in minors. I said this 9 month's ago & still believe that he would be bad in Hamilton, as we have future men there, we need to make a deal to get him to ECHL to play for Alaska Aces, his home(He may go for it) or another AHL Team. Souray played in ECHL it wouldn't be a 1st!
No the ECHL is a little to harsh for Gomez, I'm sure he would do fine in the AHL, but that's not the point. Gomez needs to be off the books and even if buying him out is not the best option in terms of salary space, it's the best one to bring quick closure to the matter.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Guy Caballero

You guys who think Gomez would "poison" our young players are crazy. As bad as he's been for the habs, he's not some egotistical dick who would sabotage the team. He's a good guy, and any young player would be lucky to play with him and get his knowledge.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:37 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
You guys who think Gomez would "poison" our young players are crazy. As bad as he's been for the habs, he's not some egotistical dick who would sabotage the team. He's a good guy, and any young player would be lucky to play with him and get his knowledge.
Very true...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:30 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Not his fault he was offerred this contract of course,but personally I would feel highly embarassed with my teammates knowing I couldn't deliver,whereas he looks like he's having a great time.He has no problem with this,that's the problem.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote