HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Sacrifices Have You Been Making to Watch the Rangers Playoff Games?

Old
05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Come on guys, haven't most of you heard of DVRs? There's no need to rearrange any schedules ever anymore! I watched every single game this year, didn't miss one, and I watched all 82 plus preseason of the Jets games too! I know it's best to watch it while it's actually happening, but I've gotten used to watching them whenever I can, as I'm a STH with the Jets and that conflicted with a good number of Rangers games. It's really nice actually because you can skip all those ****** ads and you NEVER have to listen to Milbury!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:40 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
the 3OT game was spent in the corner of a bar staring at a screen at a very crowded bar.

I also work nights, so some of these games I've had to watch on a TV stream.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:42 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hagelins Flow View Post
This cannot be understated.

I have broken so many things in my room already out of anger when the Rangers lose or something -- I shattered an Xbox controller when I thought Ovechkin scored in one of the OT periods (it looked to me like an in and out instead of a post and I freaked). Thrown beer bottles, thrown magazines, etc.

Needed so many xanaxes or drinks to calm down, pulling my hair out and sweating so hard during games...ugh

Buddy of mine broke his 52" television when he threw a beer bottle into it during one of the Ottawa OT losses. Heh, that was pretty bad.

Yes, biggest sacrifice is my sanity.
I raged out and kicked my fan while my girlfriend was over when the rangers lost in OT to the Sens in game 4 I believe. We broke up right after that. Not because I raged but because we were both upset and that just lead to us having "the talk" and that was that.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:06 PM
district9

since a lot of my friends are huge rangers fans i cant go the dvr route because they text me the instant things start happening. i actually quit a job 2 weeks earlier than i wanted to because it was a night shift and i'd miss the first round of the playoffs (i had 2 jobs + 15 credits at school so it was rough anyway). while i was working there i would routinely sneak out and try to catch a few minutes here and there on the radio.

at the job i kept i'm in a van most of the day so if a game is on i have to hear it on the radio, but when i'm back at the shop my boss has a tv in the back where we've been watching the games.

i think a lot of people have worked around it but i might be the only one who quit a job for the playoffs

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:05 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I am sacrificing tons of sleep and working my physical therapy sessions around the games.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Captain Monglobster

I've canceled some shifts but I can't rationalize losing hundreds of dollars to watch the game live on TV when I can just DVR it and watch it in the middle of the night when I get home and still have money to exist.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:23 AM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Now not everyone here works the prototypical 9-5, Monday to Friday job. I unfortunately work in the retail grocery industry. My hours are very erratic. I've had to switch for shifts with less hours at another time during the day, and today I even had to do a $20 bribe with the only co worker I could switch with to see tomorrow's game. Thankfully class is no longer a factor...

At work anytime I switch or call out (I've never called out to watch a Rangers game, I don't deserve that much of a bad rep!) it is automatically assumed that I did so to watch a Rangers game. I can't count on my scheduler or my boss for sympathy either. Both of which are in their 50's and never gave a rat's ass about sports.

I need to find one of those 9-5 jobs.

What sacrifices have you guys made to watch the Rangers' playoff games?
9-5 jobs don't necessarily end at 5 unfortunately. I just working until 11pm.

Anyway, I watched probably 75 regular season games live and the rest on tape. I only missed a live game if I was traveling or had some work function.

The NFL draft is probably my favorite day of the year and I had to watch that on tape due to game 7 against Ottawa. My wife asked me if the Rangers won the Cup that night. Lol. You should have seen her face when I told her that was only the first round. Segue to this past Wednesday's game: our 14th Wedding Anniversary. I had to watch the game. She accepts it, but doesn't necessarily like it. Oh well, hopefully she doesn't sacrifice me.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:00 AM
kokopoko

Sleep and my sanity. And money from buying up NYRangers stuff on ebay.

kokopoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I'm a freelance reporter for a local newspaper. Since it is municipal coverage, some of it is based around Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday town council/board of education meeting. I've skipped one or two that had nothing interesting on the agenda, but have missed action on others. Example: on Wednesday I won't be going to the Whale game and will miss bits of the Rangers game. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:08 AM
puttingonthefoil
Rookie User

I work in a bar so Im lucky and watch the games while I work. I have asked a few co workers to stay on for an hour or two while I sat at the bar and watched the games(shifts at 8). My wife hates me. "Darlin', the Rangers were there before you were."

puttingonthefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Everything

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Affinity

I'm not calling out of work for the first or second round I need my money. If they make it to the 3rd/4th round I'd seriously consider it. I'll cross that bridge when I get there though

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:19 AM
puttingonthefoil
Rookie User

also, my liver.

puttingonthefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Physical things in the outside world....not much. I can pass my finals while focusing on the Rangers because, well, I'm good dammit and I have no social life during finals anyway.

Now below the surface: the stress, the constant worrying, the gas, the fatigue, the anger, throwing every fiber of my being into every game as if I'm actually in it, that's taking a toll with every game. But I'm willing to do it for the Cup. I said after game 3 McDonagh might have just logged 51 minutes but I logged 115

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

nothing. i never watch the games live anyway, i watch em on DVR. between planning the wedding, work, and the fact that i play in so many hockey leagues, its tough to find the time to watch games live. so DVR is a great option. plus i prefer it that way to be honest, zap through the commericals. watched the triple overtime masterpiece in like 2-3 hours instead of the ~5+ it actually took.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:40 AM
mahonistan*

Anyone else doing a playoff beard?

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:46 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Yes but mine looks like crap. At 20 my beard is still a little patchy. I guess looking like crap is my superstitious sacrifice because it's been working.

I'm considering going for the Boyle look since it looks sweet and it isn't patchy for me... I don't want to mess with success though.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I'm doing a playoff stache.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:04 AM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
I work for a sports book. Missing ANY games is never an issue, though I much prefer to watch at home!

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:58 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Now not everyone here works the prototypical 9-5, Monday to Friday job. I unfortunately work in the retail grocery industry. My hours are very erratic. I've had to switch for shifts with less hours at another time during the day, and today I even had to do a $20 bribe with the only co worker I could switch with to see tomorrow's game. Thankfully class is no longer a factor...

At work anytime I switch or call out (I've never called out to watch a Rangers game, I don't deserve that much of a bad rep!) it is automatically assumed that I did so to watch a Rangers game. I can't count on my scheduler or my boss for sympathy either. Both of which are in their 50's and never gave a rat's ass about sports.

I need to find one of those 9-5 jobs.

What sacrifices have you guys made to watch the Rangers' playoff games?
I feel your pain man... I'm an assistant produce manager. At least my manager is a cool guy and understands how big of a Ranger fan I am. He pretty much works my schedule around them.. but he can't do much about Saturday games at 12:30. The majority of my shifts are 8am to 430 so I don't miss all that many. They used to be 4am though. Get out while you can

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:48 AM
SwedenCanada

A normal 7.30 game = 1.30 AM in Sweden. I watched the whole tripple OT game and went to bed around 7AM. Called in sick so I could sleep, "headache".

Tonights game is a lot better. Start time is 6.30 PM in Sweden.

SwedenCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Ruining my whole day to watch today's 12:30 nonsense...

I work from home currently and I'm on a self-imposed night schedule, so I generally crash at around 7am and wake up around 3pm. To make sure I'd be in decent shape for this game I tried to go sleep really early (10pm) so I could wake up around 8am and be productive... but I woke up at 2am and was wide awake, so I just kept going. I'm cool now, at 10am, but by the time this game is over I'm gonna need to crash and it'll ruin my whole schedule. Plus it's my gf's day off, so she won't be thrilled but... wonderful girl understands =)

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:51 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
i have to see the game being played win or lose and i can not stand finding out the result regardless of win or lose after the fact.

everything needs to be done prior to the start of the game and if it is not it won't be done, no exceptions.

if my work for my business is not done too bad, if my kids are not fed or ready for bed too bad, if my house is on fire too freaking bad i refuse to miss a second.

luckily for all parties involved i have managed to get everything accomplished prior to the start of every game this year so far.
so no hungry or dirty kids have resulted yet from my pure greed for playoff hockey, yet.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
eskimogoat

Sleep.... plenty of 12:30am starts throughout the season has changed my sleeping pattern for the playoffs so now I have no problem with 2/3 hours of sleep game nights.

I also - like many others - have started to doubt my own sanity. Coming from a country where field hockey has more coverage than ice hockey, I repeatedly try to get my friends hyped about it all with little to no success. The only other person at my school who is into hockey is my biology lab partner and she supports the Canadiens and Pittsburgh - needless to say our hockey talk is limited at the moment

eskimogoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I watch about 60 reg. season matches every year and living in Holland, that messes up a lot of good nights sleep. I usually arrange to work the late shift the next day (13:30 - 22:00) but most days I go to bed at 4 AM, get up at 7 and sleep it off when I finish work at 17:30.

I am happy as can be when we have an early match like we have today. Gives me spare time on a Saturday night. I am going out after the match so I hope we win in regulation!!!

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote