HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Sweden (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
The Red Wing Five!

Iron Hook - Zetterberg - Franzen
Kronwall - Ericsson

Old
05-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Patrik Berglund 1 game from being eliminated

Old
05-04-2012, 04:23 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

I want Steen also. He is as good as Berglund.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
I want Steen also. He is as good as Berglund.
Yeah, Steen over Petersson is a heck of a upgrade...

Old
05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
joe89

But we need centers. I'm fine with the wingers we have.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:05 AM
LaGu

In my dream world:...

Franzen - Backstrom - Zetterberg (20 mins)
Alfredsson - Berglund - L.Eriksson (20 mins)
Silfverberg - Jarnkrok - Landeskog (10 mins)
Stalberg - Kruger - Steen (10 mins)

I know that the 4th line looks "over-talented" for their job but remember that all of these guys have played worked their way through 4th line duty in the NHL and, most importantly, done it very well. Also, if the 1st/2nd lines don't click we'll have "easy access" players to move up.

(I could actually also see M.Johansson take the place of Jarnkrok but in my mind, right or wrong, I really believe in the kids-line with Silfver-Jarn-Lando)

Old
05-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
In my dream world:...

Franzen - Backstrom - Zetterberg (20 mins)
Alfredsson - Berglund - L.Eriksson (20 mins)
Silfverberg - Jarnkrok - Landeskog (10 mins)
Stalberg - Kruger - Steen (10 mins)

I know that the 4th line looks "over-talented" for their job but remember that all of these guys have played worked their way through 4th line duty in the NHL and, most importantly, done it very well. Also, if the 1st/2nd lines don't click we'll have "easy access" players to move up.

(I could actually also see M.Johansson take the place of Jarnkrok but in my mind, right or wrong, I really believe in the kids-line with Silfver-Jarn-Lando)
Yeah, that's an ok team...

Old
05-04-2012, 07:23 AM
WayneBruce

Johansson did not get invited last year, I doubt he will this year.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Johansson did not get invited last year, I doubt he will this year.
He's a better player this year, though.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Ola

I think Berglund and Steen are real possiblities, while I am not sold on Bäckström (could take another 8-9 days, plus he has been hurt etc).

If Berglund comes, the obvious option is to just build a 4th line around him and Steen. But for a couple of reasons I am not sold on that set-up, a real "4th line" makes sense at times. Berglund needs a bigger role to be successful. How good of a match is a line really with Zetterberg and Franzen on it, with Zetterberg at center and a "outside winger"??? I think there is a risk of Zetterberg becoming too defensive at center and Franzen to isolated high up ice offensively, I've seen tendancy's of that in international tournaments before. I would probably get a little creative if those two joined the team.

My line-up:
Ståhlberg-Berglund-Franzen//Berglund's game is built around his ability to streak down ice with speed. You utilize centers like that best by having wingers who can win battles in the neutral zone for the puck along the boards, and get it to center ice. Its a classic set-up, like playing Sundin with Ulf Dahlen and Fredrik Modin at his wings.
Hedman-S. Kronwall//Behind this line we have two D's are good at winning battles for the puck and passing it up ice in straight lanes.

Zetterberg-Järnkrok-Silvferberg//I am actually tremendously impressed by the poise of the two kids on this line, but reality is that they could face a line of like Perry-Getzlaf-Penn in this tournament, and in order to give them a fair chance to play their game all the way I would put Z next to them. I also think that Zetteberg really would understand J and S offensively, and I am not 100% sold on Landeskog on that line...
Hjalmarsson-E. Karlsson//Karlsson on the ice at the same time with Järnkrok and Silfverberg would really be a nightmare for a defending team.

Eriksson-Lundqvist-Alfredsson//I thought long and hard on the positioning of the centers on the two other lines, but decided to go with this set up. The 1st line gives us a speedy and powerful N-S-striking ability. That line would be hard to handle for the European teams. The 2nd line gives us a ton of finesse and tic-tac-toe ability. They will turn teams inside out and be valuble offensive against any team. Hence, I've choosen to construct my 3rd and 4th line so that both would be gritty to play against for any team. This is a line you could use for late FO's. You could expect some scoring from. And so forth.
Ericsson-N.Kronwall

Landeskog-Kreuger-Steen//More of a energy/checking line.
(Ekholm-Brodin)

This line is just my own construction, and I am sure many will be confused by them. But the above is what I would use.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:12 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
He's a better player this year, though.
Yeah he is. Still bit of Mr. no finish though. I doubt he'll get invited seeing the team in place right now.

But let's see how we start the tournament first.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, Steen over Petersson is a heck of a upgrade...

Persson, not Pettersson.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:46 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Persson, not Pettersson.
The kwan of Persson will lay its revenge upon thee!

Old
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Hockeyfrilla

F.Pettersson done for tourney - J.Larsson in?

Jonathan Ericsson also injured

Old
05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
F.Pettersson done for tourney - J.Larsson in?

Jonathan Ericsson also injured
Tough call. If they replace both for tomorrow's game, we only have a goaltending spot and two skater spots left to use. I guess that should be enough though.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Jonathan Ericsson har en blödning i muskeln. Hoppas att han mår bra redan i morgon
Minor injury..

Old
05-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Sweden played some really nice hockey this game. Encouraging start to the tournament, even if we didn't get the expected blow-out win. All three goals were beauties.

Loved what I saw from Krüger. Z looking as if he's back to his best was great to see. Karlsson made a couple of ridiculous plays, but also some mistakes.
The one player that kind of disappointed me was Franzén with his giveaways and bad decision making. What happened to the mule?

Old
05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

About the big ice, a lot of people may disagree with me, but I think it actually hurts Karlsson more than it helps him.

Defensively, the guy angles people towards the boards, cuts them off and then steals the puck. With the big ice, the guys have more room to move before they are cut off into the boards. Not only that, Karlsson tends to chase people in the defensive zone, so when he's engaged with a player up against the boards, he's now further away from his own net, and thus takes longer to get back there if the other player manages to get away or pass it off to a teammate.

Offensively on the other hand, Karlsson doesn't really need the extra room because he's quick enough that he can create open space even on small ice, so it's not as big an advantage to him to make up for the troubles it gives him defensively.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
thephillyflu

Eriksson - Bäckström - Alfredsson was by far our best line at the last OG, with Alfredsson our by far best player. So It's not a disaster if we don't get Lundqvist.

And actually, Marcus Johansson over Persson, Pettersson and Lundqvist for me. Steen and Berglund I'll gladly take. So maybe some guys that "should" get to play after good years in Europe will have to get benched, but I wan't to win!

And it's too bad about Edler, Sedin and Sedin. Especially Henrik would make this team look sick, how about all of those three, Berglund, Steen, Lundqvist/Bäckström and... Well. Fück Vancouver.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Elvs

If Ericsson can't play tonight, but Ekholm or Brodin in and hope 11 forwards can handle the ice time. 3 spots would still be open, one for Ekman-Larsson and the other two for a couple of forwards.

If all of Phoenix, St. Louis and Washington gets eliminated. Something like this maybe:

Eriksson - Backstrom - Alfredsson
Zetterberg - Berglund - Franzen
Stalberg - Kruger - Steen
Landeskog - Jarnkrok - Silfverberg

Hjalmarsson - Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson - N. Kronwall
Hedman - Ericsson/S. Kronwall

Enroth/Fasth

*Johansson in if one of Backstrom/Berglund/Steen declines.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:14 AM
joe89

I definitely think they will submit a F already today. The earliest an NHL forward can join would be on Friday against Russia. There are three games including tonight's game before that one.

Big E won't play tonight, but tournament is not in danger.

I'd say trust what you have here, replace the injured guys, and hope for Berglund and Backstrom/Lundqvist and be done with it.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Elvs

Best (likely) case scenario though. Nashville gets eliminated along with St. Louis and the Rangers.

We still get a defenseman (Stralman), three forwards (Berglund, Hornqvist, Steen) and of course Lundqvist in net.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Eriksson
Steen - Berglund - Alfredsson
Landeskog - Järnkrok - Silfverberg
Stålberg - Kruger - J. Lundqvist
(Persson, Pettersson)

Hjalmarsson - Karlsson
N. Kronwall - Stralman
Hedman - Ericsson/S. Kronwall
(Ekholm)

Lundqvist
Enroth/Fasth

*Hornqvist in if Steen or Berglund declines.

This is of course if Marts plays with 11 forwards tonight. If Larsson is in, there's only room for two of Steen/Berglund/Hornqvist/Stralman.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I definitely think they will submit a F already today. The earliest an NHL forward can join would be on Friday against Russia. There are three games including tonight's game before that one.

Big E won't play tonight, but tournament is not in danger.

I'd say trust what you have here, replace the injured guys, and hope for Berglund and Backstrom/Lundqvist and be done with it.
You're probably right. Hornqvist could be avaialbe on tuesday, but even then... when would he be here? thursday? Sounds like Ericssons injury isn't so bad either, so Ekholm could play as the #12 forward against Denmark and Germany. Meanwhile, waiting to add more and more players could really mess up the chemistry.

- Get Larsson and Ekholm (if Ericsson can't play) into the lineup tonight. (20 skaters on the roster).
- Invite Berglund when the Blues are eliminated. No to Steen and Hornqvist in case Backstrom becomes available. (21 skaters on the roster).
- Invite Backstrom or Lundqvist+Stralman, which will be late in the tournament. (22 skaters on the roster).

Last edited by Elvs: 05-05-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old
05-05-2012, 04:30 AM
Mestaruus

I've been wondering how Sweden was able to get all their games start at the same time each day they play 21:00 Finnish time or so, while the official home team Finland has 2 'afternoon games'?

Old
05-05-2012, 05:05 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Jonas Brodin and Johan Larsson being registered today

Closed Thread