HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

St. John's Ice Caps Inaugural Season Thread.

Old
05-04-2012, 07:54 PM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
What's best is what you have,
Here's a vid from Madawaska/Victoria Counties NB Senior hockey 2012 Championship
Do these people care that it's not top level or as in most of Canada is it my home town my team. That's all the matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIEG...layer_embedded

From an NBer Go IceCaps...Allez-Y
There is truth in this. I really think that the main reason junior hockey of any sort has never been popular here, is our history of having senior hockey as the highest level of hockey. Until 1992, the highest level of hockey was senior hockey, where amateur men played the game. local junior just fed into senior and was not so popular. Senior hockey is still king here when you get away from St. John's. Senior hockey would probably still be at the top of the heap in St. John's if it was not for the Leafs. Once we had that, no junior would suffice.

I wonder if the people who wish the Q had have come back are a fair bit younger than my 45 years

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
I have to disagree with you.I must ask have you ever seen Klingberg?

Guys a laugh on twitter he loves Newfoundland music and you could distingish him from a crowd.I have met him a few time and guys a laugh.

I dont want a sideshow on the bench like Roy or Tortarella.
i've seen klingberg. not a bad prospect, but his 15 goals and 37 points are not terribly exciting. nor is his single goal in 6 playoff games. that's what i meant, the on-ice personality. i have no idea how funny he might be on twitter.

and they're all sort of the same. no big scorers. no tough guys. no energy players or agitators. just robots playing within a very structured system.

there's certainly no side show behind the bench or anywhere else on this team. i've never seen the coach show an ounce of emotion.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
It's more like I find it distasteful to hear a local hockey fan seemingly looking for any chance to run down all the excitement there is in this city over the return of the AHL.
exactly what i said. you didn't like what you were hearing about the icecaps, so you turned the entire discussion to something entirely different.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:04 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenshockeyfan View Post
it's his opinion and seeing we live in freedom he has a right to express it. He's not the only one in the city who feels the same way either. Not every hockey fan in the metro area is enthralled with the AHL.
I am sure some share his opinion. However, it is obvious that your position is in the minority. Sorry but that's it. Danny is no slouch when it comes to business acumen, he knew what the audience wanted, and probably had the ECHL ahead of the Q.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
exactly what i said. you didn't like what you were hearing about the icecaps, so you turned the entire discussion to something entirely different.
I love to hear objective comments on the Caps, but your comments seem to be consistently predisposed to find fault, and to find any negative strand. I suppose it's to be expected from someone whose preferred option has been rejected out of hand. I can tell you this is the shoe was on the other foot, and the Q had come back, I would just be indifferent to it. Wouldn't spend the kind of money to go to the games, but certainl wouldn't be online trying to run down FogDevils 2.0

Old
05-04-2012, 08:47 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
There is truth in this. I really think that the main reason junior hockey of any sort has never been popular here, is our history of having senior hockey as the highest level of hockey. Until 1992, the highest level of hockey was senior hockey, where amateur men played the game. local junior just fed into senior and was not so popular. Senior hockey is still king here when you get away from St. John's. Senior hockey would probably still be at the top of the heap in St. John's if it was not for the Leafs. Once we had that, no junior would suffice.

I wonder if the people who wish the Q had have come back are a fair bit younger than my 45 years
No I am older.

womenshockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
i've seen klingberg. not a bad prospect, but his 15 goals and 37 points are not terribly exciting. nor is his single goal in 6 playoff games. that's what i meant, the on-ice personality. i have no idea how funny he might be on twitter.

and they're all sort of the same. no big scorers. no tough guys. no energy players or agitators. just robots playing within a very structured system.

there's certainly no side show behind the bench or anywhere else on this team. i've never seen the coach show an ounce of emotion.
Hahha no he's certainly no Crawford is he haha?

Old
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Frankie

Quote:
I love to hear objective comments on the Caps
don't pretend there are any objective opinions. everyone has a bias. you're biased in the icecaps favour. i suppose that taints anything you say about them.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
No I am older.
Well thankfully your opinion is very much in the minority

Old
05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
don't pretend there are any objective opinions. everyone has a bias. you're biased in the icecaps favour. i suppose that taints anything you say about them.
Well if you insist there is no such thing as objectivism, than majority rules. Either way no Q for here.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:19 PM
IceCapsFanNL

I'll sign off with the critics of the AHL with these posts

This is the attendance stats for the SJML at the old Memorial Stadium.

91-92 3687 4190 0.879952267
92-93 3332 4190 0.79522673
93-94 3506 4190 0.836754177
94-95 3421 4190 0.81646778
95-96 3368 4190 0.803818616
96-97 3266 4190 0.77947494
97-98 3217 4190 0.76778043
98-99 3170 4190 0.756563246
99-00 3169 4190 0.756324582
00-01 3293 4190 0.785918854

year attend. Capacity att/cap

not bad. An economically depressed city supports its AHL team in a rink with lots of poor seats

Old
05-04-2012, 09:23 PM
IceCapsFanNL

SJML at MileOne

2001-2002 5069 6247 0.811429486
2002-2003 4984 6247 0.797822955
2003-2004 4799 6247 0.76820874
2004-2005 4828 6247 0.772850968

year avg att cap att/cap

In a larger rink, St John's fans keep supporting what is becoming a pretty Cr**py team

Old
05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Fog Devil stats

2005-2006 3928 6247 0.628781815
2006-2007 3666 6247 0.586841684
2007-2008 3533 6247 0.565551465

cap
Year Avg Att cap att/cap

We see that the Q was much less popular than the Leafs with all their issues.

As we know we are at 40 + sell outs this season. Our oil boom is part of this, but so is the local preference for the AHL

Old
05-04-2012, 09:58 PM
trouty

Q wiLl never never ever return if Icecaps barly turned a profit with 38 sell outs what's a q team gonna do selling tickets 16 bucks.Q has no chance to come back with ahl a secomd time,the differene in size and speed is too much I don't think I could go back

trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:00 PM
trouty

Me and Icecapsfan rarly agree but I agree on all he said.Funny thing is some of them post on fb page in postive.Thou saying O Brian is better then Mark is ludicris

Old
05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
womenshockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
And the junior game is slow boring and not near the pace of ahl as I'm watching it. Yawn
a game that goes two overtimes is boring? That game was much more exciting than the one I saw at Mile One on Wednesday.

Old
05-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
Anyways unlike most in this thread I'm going to talk about the team.

Guys gotta show much more effort because Wednesday was the worst game of the year.

The vets in particular have to step it up.
Here I am again. Go figure. Anyway, the team should do fine against WBS. The Penguins have been a bit erratic this season. Theissen has not been very good this season in my opinion. To make matters worse, John Curry who was the other goalie in WBS last season is the third goalie for team USA in the world championships. My suggestions would be to focus most of your defensive energies on the O'Reilly unit. Until they got going the team was not very good offensively. For anybody who has not figured it out yet, I am a Penguins fan. Shocking I know.

Last edited by Solution: 05-04-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:06 AM
trouty

Quote:
a game that goes two overtimes is boring? That game was much more exciting than the one I saw at Mile One on Wednesday.
so a game has to go to double ot to make it exciting,yet you point out the icecaps worst game ,Was it better then the Icecaps game Friday,id say no,as its slower and less skilled.Add in its round 2,how exciting were the Seadogs 9-1 wins in round 2 i bet they were memorable

Old
05-05-2012, 04:31 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Here I am again. Go figure. Anyway, the team should do fine against WBS. The Penguins have been a bit erratic this season. Theissen has not been very good this season in my opinion. To make matters worse, John Curry who was the other goalie in WBS last season is the third goalie for team USA in the world championships. My suggestions would be to focus most of your defensive energies on the O'Reilly unit. Until they got going the team was not very good offensively. For anybody who has not figured it out yet, I am a Penguins fan. Shocking I know.
I think no matter how it turns out I think that the Caps will give a better performance than Wednesday. The Pens are a good defensive team, so anything is possible.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Frankie

Quote:
As we know we are at 40 + sell outs this season. Our oil boom is part of this, but so is the local preference for the AHL
why do you keep posting the attendance numbers? is anyone denying that the ahl is far more popular in st.john's than the q was?

Old
05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
why do you keep posting the attendance numbers? is anyone denying that the ahl is far more popular in st.john's than the q was?
In case anyone is joining the discussion late, I wouldn't want anyone to think that your position is anything other than a voice in the wilderness.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Frankie

Quote:
In case anyone is joining the discussion late, I wouldn't want anyone to think that your position is anything other than a voice in the wilderness.
you're arguing nothing. everyone knows the attendance numbers. nobody is denying them. the proof is in the numbers, there is no argument, and i haven't seen anyone try to argue against the numbers.

anyone who doesn't aleady know is either completely out to lunch, or not slightly interested. you shouldn't concern yourself so much with what they think. they aren't reading this anyways.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
trouty

either or let Denise and Shore chat about that to each other the next 3 years,I cant see the Icecaps coming out any worse tonight big key is a push back and withstAND the first 10 min of Pens

Old
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Mighty Joe Moon

Quote:
veeryone would want to move on. that was my point. winnipeg was stuck with an ahl team, it wasn't what they wanted. its an nhl city that always had its eye on an nhl team.

pretty much agree with all this. there are no rivalries in the ahl. certainly not for st.john's.
1 - You missed the rest of my paragraph. The one where I stated I have a hard time believing that the WHL would have been more successful than the AHL Moose. The Brandon Wheat Kings always play two playoff games in Winnipeg (as long as they make the playoffs) so we all knew about these games, but they NEVER outdrew the Moose. They typically drew 3000-4000, not bad, but not Moose numbers. Yeah, they weren't our team, but all those people who liked to shoot their mouths off about the WHL being better and wanting to see future superstars that would bypass the AHL never put their money where there mouth was. Recently, the Wheaties had Dustin Byfuglien, Brayden Schenn, Jason Chimera and Travis Hamonic (off the top of my head).

And IceCapsNL is right, there was a small but passionate 'Save the Moose' movement in Winnipeg. I don't really understand how they expected to achieve that goal though, what with the ownership and all....

2 - Good to see you agree with my entire second paragraph. Even the point about more exciting play not equaling higher quality play. My personal opinion is the AHL > CHL in terms of quality. I don't like sloppy play, even if they're really, really passionate about it......

Having been there, if you can't get yourself excited about the IceCaps or some American market you've never heard of, most AHL teams carry a washed out NHLer. Prime heckling targets. And it's better than nothing, that's for sure.

Mighty Joe Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Moon View Post
1 - You missed the rest of my paragraph. The one where I stated I have a hard time believing that the WHL would have been more successful than the AHL Moose. The Brandon Wheat Kings always play two playoff games in Winnipeg (as long as they make the playoffs) so we all knew about these games, but they NEVER outdrew the Moose. They typically drew 3000-4000, not bad, but not Moose numbers. Yeah, they weren't our team, but all those people who liked to shoot their mouths off about the WHL being better and wanting to see future superstars that would bypass the AHL never put their money where there mouth was. Recently, the Wheaties had Dustin Byfuglien, Brayden Schenn, Jason Chimera and Travis Hamonic (off the top of my head).
wow, i think that's actually an amazingly high number of fans coming out to see a junior game with no home team. if there was a home team, say the winnipeg jr. jets, they'd easily be up around moose numbers, based on this information.

Quote:
2 - Good to see you agree with my entire second paragraph. Even the point about more exciting play not equaling higher quality play. My personal opinion is the AHL > CHL in terms of quality. I don't like sloppy play, even if they're really, really passionate about it......
major junior is a very high quality of hockey, its not as if we're talking peewee hockey. i think its the perfect combination of high-level skill, with reckless passion and emotion.

read these boards, a lot of nhl fans talk about the ahl as being incredibly sloppy. its all relative, i suppose.

Quote:
Having been there, if you can't get yourself excited about the IceCaps or some American market you've never heard of, most AHL teams carry a washed out NHLer. Prime heckling targets. And it's better than nothing, that's for sure.
yeah, i can't get too excited about seeing a garth murray or a mark bell. washed up.