HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz needs to be fired

Old
05-05-2012, 12:17 AM
tnvol

vCash: 500
Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jderick81 View Post
After 13 years of reading this at the end of every season all I can say now is.... for the sake of being civil, no.

I swear anyone who still says this kind of garbage needs a lesson in preds history, Trotz is a magnificent coach who can take mediocre teams over the top.

I don't disrespect the decision of a man who has known this team for a very long time, and I'm pretty sure he's in the loop a little bit more than anyone else is. I don't know, I mean he only sees the team when he wakes up in the morning, for lunch, at practice and games, when they're on the plane, and wherever else they might go.

I've heard no complaints from players, and I think he is doing about as well of a job as any human being is capable. I get frustrated with his decisions sometimes but honestly in the long run he is usually right.

Tell me what you would have done differently as a coach (in as ****ed a situation as this years) and I'll throw garbage at you when your team gives it everything they have and has a good shot but comes up short. (and screwed by intent to blow whistle)

Sometimes in sports you lose, the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in sports to win, sometimes (even most times) something will go wrong and you won't win it. That doesn't mean go fire your franchise coach.

Patience friends, patience... He wants that cup as bad as we do.

tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:30 AM
blinkst3r

Unfortunately Trotz does not know that when ur team can't score, and sits the top scorer's because one night they wanted to have a few too many beers, and then they are shut out, good coach, no, put them back in. They would have been highly motivated after being sat out.

blinkst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkst3r View Post
Idiot Move sitting ur 2 of ur top scorers
Radulov did what against the Yotes? One SOG? 0 goals? Statistically worse than Yip who is constantly on the receiving end of bench demands.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:33 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Unfortunately Trotz does not know that when ur team can't score, and sits the top scorer's because one night they wanted to have a few too many beers, and then they are shut out, good coach, no, put them back in. They would have been highly motivated after being sat out.
This same roster matched Chicago's average against the Yotes when they WON game three. Hmmmmm ... so easy to second guess. I'll take a guy who makes a stand and a decision any time.

Montreal ... home of 20 years of NHL futility and a team that went bankrupt. Sorry if I don't bow down to your posts.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:42 AM
1c3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
If he'd returned both guys to the line-up tonight and we'd lost, there would probably be complaints about him F'ing up the winning formula.
Yep. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. I don't like Trotz and have wanted him gone since San Jose had their way with us two years in a row a while back, but I agreed with his decision, even if the extra offense would've been very useful in retrospect.

1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:18 AM
tulsytrid1

Mitch Korn is the reason Barry Trotz looks so good.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:21 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
Mitch Korn is the reason Barry Trotz looks so good.
Is Sean Burke what makes Dave Tippett look so good?

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:22 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Trotz made the right choice and I am sure he spoke with the rest of the team not to mention he was using the lineup that pretty much got them to the position they were in all season. I for one think he made the right choice. Sometimes the right choice isn't always the popular choice you being from MTL should certainly know this. We have suffered through some terrible seasons and getting rid of AK and a few others was the right choice even though some in Montreal didn't think so more did.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 03:34 AM
torero

Trotz sat them because the team won without them.

Don't change a winning team.

Now they lost, so if he doesn't play them the next game, he deserves a blame.

a blame because Trotz is an amazing coach ... . Wheter they loose against the yotes or not, he remains an amazing coach.
To fire him would be fully stupid.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:45 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It wasn't Trotz that lost tonight .. it was Hornqvist, Fisher, Gill, the players. When we give up one goal, and miss about six open nets, it isn't the game plan, it's the players execution.
I'm so freaking sick of this excuse! Have you ever heard the quote "attitude reflects leadership?" The players did play like ****, but why you have to ask yourself. Not because they suck. Trotz created a huge distraction at the worse possible time. Should he be fired? I don't know. But a majority of the reason was on Barry and Co.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:14 AM
glenngineer

Trotz is an enigma to me. Some say he gets the most out of the least. Others think he's trash. Sometimes coaches have a shelf life and they sometimes expire. Was Joe Torre that bad of a manager for the Yanks? He won 4 World Series and was replaced. Tom Landry was a Cowboys fixture for years and was replaced. While I agree Trotz has done a lot here in Nashville, the question remains, can he get it done when it counts? Well, unless we win the next three, the answer is no.

Trotz made some great adjustments against Detroit. He put Bourque and Radulov with Legwand and found a spark. He was able to roll three lines and two defensive pairings out on the ice to match up against Detroit's top two lines and found scoring from our bottom 6. Has he made any real adjustments this series other than to pair Klein/Cube and Gill/Josi? The forward lines are not working against Phoenix. While chances are being generated, we have scored 8 goals in 4 games. Not going to win many series with a 2 goal per game average.

As a coach you need to switch stuff up to get a spark out of your team. We seem stagnant and Phoenix just seems to be one step ahead of us all the time. They adjusted on their PK last night and for the most part, we didn't have many looks. Fisher's line except for Erat has been atrocious. Considering we have the last change, why are we putting Legwand and Fisher out against Gordon in the faceoff dot? Gordon has killed us this series. I don't care if we're in the offensive zone, put Goose out there and let him draw it back to Suter and Weber on the point. It's one of the few times they have time and space to do anything with the puck. Isn't that why we gave up a first and got him, to win crucial faceoffs? Seriously, down a goal, goalie pulled, we need a faceoff win and Goose is on the bench. I don't care if he isn't an offensive threat, the 6 guys aren't an offensive threat either if they don't have the puck.

Where the F has Weber been this series? Isn't he a big body that is physical? Aren't these the types of guys that have an impact on the series? Erat has thrown more checks than Weber at this point.

While I get a team has to play a system to be successful, you have to let your best players play to their strengths. Wilson looked like a beast last night. Yeah, he got the message about good two way hockey but at what expense to the team? Can we not live with guys that are all great two players? Can we not let guys with offensive talent play that way? Can we not find guys to balance them out on a line? Yeah, everyone needs to be held accountable and play a two way game but when it stifles your offensive production, it almost seems as if you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

All this said, I don't think Trotz has made the right adjustments throughout the series. I think Tippett has out coached Trotz and I think the Coyotes have out Predatored the Preds. On top of it, if I'm Trotz I'm making a big stink about how many goals have been waved off this series as well. Take the fine Barry, maybe you'll get the refs to not blow their whistles so quick or have the refs not have the intent to blow their whistles so quick. Sometimes being polite gets a little old. I liked the bad boy rep we got against Detroit, where is that now?

And one last thing, a coach is responsible for keeping a team sharp and focused during a layoff, especially during the playoffs. Well, did we come out ready to play in this series, not really. Do we have our mojo or our game working for us, not really. Coaches have to keep the pressure on guys for them to perform and I think that is lost on Trotz to be perfectly honest.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:28 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Trotz is an enigma to me. Some say he gets the most out of the least. Others think he's trash. Sometimes coaches have a shelf life and they sometimes expire. Was Joe Torre that bad of a manager for the Yanks? He won 4 World Series and was replaced. Tom Landry was a Cowboys fixture for years and was replaced. While I agree Trotz has done a lot here in Nashville, the question remains, can he get it done when it counts? Well, unless we win the next three, the answer is no.

Trotz made some great adjustments against Detroit. He put Bourque and Radulov with Legwand and found a spark. He was able to roll three lines and two defensive pairings out on the ice to match up against Detroit's top two lines and found scoring from our bottom 6. Has he made any real adjustments this series other than to pair Klein/Cube and Gill/Josi? The forward lines are not working against Phoenix. While chances are being generated, we have scored 8 goals in 4 games. Not going to win many series with a 2 goal per game average.

As a coach you need to switch stuff up to get a spark out of your team. We seem stagnant and Phoenix just seems to be one step ahead of us all the time. They adjusted on their PK last night and for the most part, we didn't have many looks. Fisher's line except for Erat has been atrocious. Considering we have the last change, why are we putting Legwand and Fisher out against Gordon in the faceoff dot? Gordon has killed us this series. I don't care if we're in the offensive zone, put Goose out there and let him draw it back to Suter and Weber on the point. It's one of the few times they have time and space to do anything with the puck. Isn't that why we gave up a first and got him, to win crucial faceoffs? Seriously, down a goal, goalie pulled, we need a faceoff win and Goose is on the bench. I don't care if he isn't an offensive threat, the 6 guys aren't an offensive threat either if they don't have the puck.

Where the F has Weber been this series? Isn't he a big body that is physical? Aren't these the types of guys that have an impact on the series? Erat has thrown more checks than Weber at this point.

While I get a team has to play a system to be successful, you have to let your best players play to their strengths. Wilson looked like a beast last night. Yeah, he got the message about good two way hockey but at what expense to the team? Can we not live with guys that are all great two players? Can we not let guys with offensive talent play that way? Can we not find guys to balance them out on a line? Yeah, everyone needs to be held accountable and play a two way game but when it stifles your offensive production, it almost seems as if you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

All this said, I don't think Trotz has made the right adjustments throughout the series. I think Tippett has out coached Trotz and I think the Coyotes have out Predatored the Preds. On top of it, if I'm Trotz I'm making a big stink about how many goals have been waved off this series as well. Take the fine Barry, maybe you'll get the refs to not blow their whistles so quick or have the refs not have the intent to blow their whistles so quick. Sometimes being polite gets a little old. I liked the bad boy rep we got against Detroit, where is that now?

And one last thing, a coach is responsible for keeping a team sharp and focused during a layoff, especially during the playoffs. Well, did we come out ready to play in this series, not really. Do we have our mojo or our game working for us, not really. Coaches have to keep the pressure on guys for them to perform and I think that is lost on Trotz to be perfectly honest.
I agree with most of these.... I do think Trotz has been outcoached...

and also I don't think we have the leadership in the locker room.... I don't think the C is on the right chest..... It should be Erat next year..

Tippett made an interesting remark at his presser last night... that the leadership in the room keeps the guys on the straight and narrow..

I know it's not webers style.... but as roenick also said...(paraphrasing) there should have been a come to Jesus moment from the players leadership to Rad and AK....I'm not in the lockerroom , so I don't know anything,,, but I doubt that happened...

Weber hasn't shown up, in many areas...

And I think Pekka should have an A next year... and I think Fisher doesn't...
nothing against him.... it's just time for a change.

oh, since the reason for the thread is about trotz being fired..... I say no..... but I say it's time for one or two assistants to be upgraded.... Trotz talked about all the awesome assistants that phoenix has.... time for us to have that...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:28 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I agree with most of these.... I do think Trotz has been outcoached...

and also I don't think we have the leadership in the locker room.... I don't think the C is on the right chest..... It should be Erat next year..

Tippett made an interesting remark at his presser last night... that the leadership in the room keeps the guys on the straight and narrow..

I know it's not webers style.... but as roenick also said...(paraphrasing) there should have been a come to Jesus moment from the players leadership to Rad and AK....I'm not in the lockerroom , so I don't know anything,,, but I doubt that happened...

Weber hasn't shown up, in many areas...

And I think Pekka should have an A next year... and I think Fisher doesn't...
nothing against him.... it's just time for a change.

oh, since the reason for the thread is about trotz being fired..... I say no..... but I say it's time for one or two assistants to be upgraded.... Trotz talked about all the awesome assistants that phoenix has.... time for us to have that...
Something people have missed you are being beaten in the crease Smith is making the timely saves where Pekka hasn't

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:54 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Radulov did what against the Yotes? One SOG? 0 goals? Statistically worse than Yip who is constantly on the receiving end of bench demands.
Giant sample size.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Trotz is an enigma to me.
Agree with your post except this first statement....we ALL know exactly what Trotz is by now. He's average to poor in making adjustments (as we've seen again) and when he does adjust, it's usually much later than he should. When in doubt, Trotz can't help himself but to retreat into what he's most comfortable with, which means going into his defensive shell. He's stubborn and inflexible about style of play/coaching methods/preparation/etc. which reduces his situational awareness about when he needs to change. After the meltdown of game 2, we could all predict exactly how the Preds would play game 3. If everybody was honest, they would admit that they also knew how last night's game would play out and ultimately how the lack of offense would be what did them in. With Trotz, it's just too predictable which is why I say Trotz isn't an enigma, he's as obvious as it gets.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:14 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Agree with your post except this first statement....we ALL know exactly what Trotz is by now. He's average to poor in making adjustments (as we've seen again) and when he does adjust, it's usually much later than he should. When in doubt, Trotz can't help himself but to retreat into what he's most comfortable with, which means going into his defensive shell. He's stubborn and inflexible about style of play/coaching methods/preparation/etc. which reduces his situational awareness about when he needs to change. After the meltdown of game 2, we could all predict exactly how the Preds would play game 3. If everybody was honest, they would admit that they also knew how last night's game would play out and ultimately how the lack of offense would be what did them in. With Trotz, it's just too predictable which is why I say Trotz isn't an enigma, he's as obvious as it gets.
That "lack of offense" included at least five wide open scoring chances. We generated offense, but, failed to capitalize ... and our leading goal scorer over the past three seasons was the biggest culprit.

The changes after game two resulted in one goal allowed by a team that was averaging over four per night on us. Wide open, run and gun didn't work against the Yotes ... for us or the Hawks. Tight defensive hockey did in game three and gave the team numerous chances to score in game four.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:31 AM
VFL615*

1. Lost game 1 to a fluke faceoff and a bad play by Peka.

2. Lost game 4 because an NHL owned team had a ref who says he had intent to blow his wistle because apparently he lost sight of it due to it being past the goal line and in the net.

The Preds got outplayed 1 game and we all got a pretty good reason as to why.
In no way should Trotz be fired. He has no control over the two things listed above or that his players like they have done ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! year have failed to convert great chances. He has no control over the fact that Legwand and SK just refuse to shoot the puck on great chances and are light as feathers on the puck.

However i do not agree with some of his game management decisions. Having your best faceoff guy you traded a #1 pick for sitting the bench on faceoffs when the game and season is on the line was a big mistake and it cost big time. I think he needs to relax on his belief on all defense and hope you get a good bounce offensively. Hopefully this series will change that some and get it through his thick skull that sometimes the best defense is offense.

Finally it is not the coaching staff that needs to be overhauled. Minor tweeks yes but it is the product on the ice that needs a major tune up.

1. Legwands time on the first two lines as a center is up.
2. SK is a waste of a spot on the roster. Sure he can get you some goals in the season but when it counts he disappears.
3. Fisher has no business being a top line center. He was on the third line in Ottawa for goodness sakes.
4. Klein needs to be a 3rd line D-man. He has moments of good but his overall game is average.
5. Wilson has proved he deserves a spot next year.
6. Toots i am unsure about.
7. I love what Horny brings but he is not a top line player. He can get a dirty goal but he has zero skill shooting or skating.

We have a ton of lower guy lines but have a lot that needs to be changed up top.

A lot to think about for next year.

Line one: Erat-?-Wilson
Line two: Bourque-Smith-?
Line three: ?-Fisher-Hornqvist
Line Four: ?-Gaustad-Tootoo

Depth:Halischuck, Spaling, Legwand (unless you can get something significant for him)

D Line one: Weber-Josi
D Line two: Ellis-?
D Line three: Klein-?

Depth: Gill, Bouillon

That is what i would start with and i would be making some serious moves in the offseason

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:37 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Forget the Rads/Kostitsyn fiasco. It's just another side show among the many sideshows that have occurred under Trotz' "leadership". On other teams going out at night wouldn't have even have been a thought. "But it's Rads and AK's fault". Whatever.

The real problem is that Trotz can't get it done in the playoffs. We've had about a dozen different makeups of playoff teams, and Trotz can't win with any of them. 2 playoff series wins in 13 freaking years?

That's pitiful. How can his team's be good enough to win so many regular season games, yet so dreadful when it counts? Hell, in the series' we've lost we haven't even been competitive many times (never forced a game 7). Trotz' teams fold up when our backs are against the walls. We've never won an elimination game.

This series has been a giant cluster ****. Trotz can't develop a plan to beat a team that is copying his own system. He's getting beat at his own game now. I don't even care about the off the ice nonsense. His on the ice results are enough for me to say, we need a change.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
cleangene

Other than this point....."He has no control over the fact that Legwand and SK just refuse to shoot the puck on great chances and are light as feathers on the puck..." I think this is a dead on post, VFL. I've heard the coach say how frustrated they get when SK passes up a shot, but there's something called "riding the pines" that can be done to get your point across, isn't there (i.e. Willy). Preds must, must, must, must, must upgrade their top lines and clubhouse leadership next season- this one's been a huge disappointment, IMO.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Even if we wanted to fire him who would we replace him with?
You need a better coach available to fire Trotz. Scotty Bowman? If you can't find one, keep the good one that you have.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Siberian

Trotz made one great decision with sitting Radulov and Kostitsyn and then he made a terrible decision to sit them for game 4. Preds lucked out in game three and beat Phoenix based on great play by defense and Rinne. However it was obvious in game 3 that in game 4 you must dress your best players for the next game. That did not happen and Tippet made great adjustments to deal with depleted offense.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:45 AM
canadianpredsfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
We've never won an elimination game.
Actually you're wrong on that. We may have only won one, but Game 5 last year 2nd round against Vancouver was an elimination game. So yes he has won one.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Trotz made one great decision with sitting Radulov and Kostitsyn and then he made a terrible decision to sit them for game 4. Preds lucked out in game three and beat Phoenix based on great play by defense and Rinne. However it was obvious in game 3 that in game 4 you must dress your best players for the next game. That did not happen and Tippet made great adjustments to deal with depleted offense.
I agree. Trotz's problem is that he doesn't make adjustments.

The guy that said that Tippett is beating him at his own game is also correct.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
You need a better coach available to fire Trotz. Scotty Bowman? If you can't find one, keep the good one that you have.
Like Trotz was some gem with a great pedigree when he came here?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

I will gladly take him in Chicago

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote