HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

what can the management do?

Old
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
I'm glad we look like we have a good future however its gonna be funny watching LA win the cup, looks like the trades have worked great for them as well.
I think we would single-handedly cause HFBoards to crash if that happened.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Will Schenn and Couturier still be here in 3 years?

Be honest - how big is the Flyers' window to get a Cup with this young core, really? No one wants to face the reality that the cap might not go up and all three of Giroux, Schenn and Couturier will need a contract extension in two seasons. Giroux's new contract will be ridiculous. The chances that one or maybe even 2 of these 3 will be gone is very, very high.
There's no reason the cap shouldn't go up with the TV deal in effect. Also, we'll have Timonen and Hartnell's contracts up before any of theirs run out (though I hope Hartnell stays for around the same total.) The bad news is Voracek, and Simmonds' contracts also run out before theirs.

But I'd be shocked if the cap doesn't go up.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:31 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Our players have been known to receive healthy raises on their second contracts. It's not a given will lose one of those three players, but it's a fair bet that sacrifices will have to be made somewhere on the roster. Read and Meszaros will also hit free agency at the same time as those three centers.
Like Giroux, Richards, or Carter? All of those deals were thought to be in favor of the team. Sacrifices will have to be made, but it's because there's an absolute wealth of talent on this roster right now that are on entry level deals. They'll have three first round picks by that time as well. At least two of them should be making an NHL impact by then. This is how teams work. They identify their core guys and sign them long term, and keep filling in the roster with prospects from the system.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Two games ago the parade was being planned. Now it is "what can the management do? This team is a mess!" If they win Sunday, the parade plans will be back on, until another loss, at which point the team is dire need of a shakeup. Can we at least wait to see how this season ends before we start calling this team a mess. I know that no team in history has ever come back from 2-1, but just in case they do, let's wait and see what happens before we talk about trading guys and how much of a mess this team is.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
We have lots of tradable players. And really, going in to the season, did anyone expect us to beat the Pens in the playoffs etc? I didn't. 6-7 rookies, no Pronger, no Mesz, means this team will be inconsistent. That's just the way it goes and if we get beat 4-1 by the Devils, I'll still say we had an amazing season.
I agree with this sentiment. the Devils finished ONE POINT behind us. It's not like we are losing to a team that is way worse. Also, it is not like the games were out of hand. We are not losing 10-3 here, the one we led going into the 3rd and the other we lost in OT. I hate the Devils, and hate losing to them, but the team has had a great season considering the amount of change in the off season and losing one of the best defensemen in league history. Beating the Penguins made the season a tremendous success.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:23 PM
StandingCow

No major changes need to be made, we called this a rebuild year, remember? Most of us expected a 7-8th seed barely making the playoffs.. and a 1st round exit.

If ANYTHING needs to happen, it is fixing our defense... let Carle go, Let lilja go, get one or two more solid mobile D man.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

So many people want to give up Couturier?

Hell, I'd take him in a second. He was born to be a New Jersey Devil with the style of game he plays. Lou could seamlessly fit that kid in in about 37 seconds.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
So many people want to give up Couturier?
Huh, who? One guy is "so many people"?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:06 AM
StandingCow

Yea, we aren't giving up Couturier.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:33 AM
Le Oranje

Color me pessimistic but I'd be stunned if we won a Cup in the next 10 years. As someone who was born long after the last win in '75, that pains me to type.

I thought we had momentum this year after beating the Pens, but this series is pretty much over.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:39 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Will Schenn and Couturier still be here in 3 years?

Be honest - how big is the Flyers' window to get a Cup with this young core, really? No one wants to face the reality that the cap might not go up and all three of Giroux, Schenn and Couturier will need a contract extension in two seasons. Giroux's new contract will be ridiculous. The chances that one or maybe even 2 of these 3 will be gone is very, very high.
Couturier will be one of the corner stones of this franchise. His shut-down abilities are unique.

Schenn will be gone to fix a greater need. He just hasn't lived up to the hype yet and Homer has already committed way too much money to a streaky JVR...

Bob will be thrown on the market as well. Unfortunately his market value is quite low right now.

Thats just the way I see it....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:13 AM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post

Schenn will be gone to fix a greater need. He just hasn't lived up to the hype yet and Homer has already committed way too much money to a streaky JVR...
slow down, the guy has played 63 games in his nhl career. knee jerk reactions like this are what causes teams to bail on quality players too earlier

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Let Weak Wrists sign somewhere else, and I'm nervous about putting all the money out for Suter, I don't buy into the hype about him being that good, I think it has more to do with Weber than him, I feel the Flyers will grossly overpay for him and he'll turn out to be average, and then there is another huge contract on the books

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:00 AM
toughfighter83*

the defense is definitely got to be fixed in the offseason, i mean jvr was great last year because he was shooting the puck, i mean why all these star players not the shooting the puck? is it the coaching or them? because it's the reason why this team will never win a championship. that's why i liked primeau and lindros because they always shoot the puck but the rest of the team doesnt want to.

i dont care if it gets blocked at least make the effort, it proves your trying and not throwing the game away.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
This thread is basically a list of people who drink kool-aid

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Lol, this is classic.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Go For It

Quote:
I object!

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I object!
Well, there are some exceptions.

If the Flyers don't win the Cup, there's going to be so much back tracking, the world will spin in reverse.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Well, there are some exceptions.

If the Flyers don't win the Cup, there's going to be so much back tracking, the world will spin in reverse.
Are you saying it was premature to plan the parade after 2 wins in the first round?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Are you saying it was premature to plan the parade after 2 wins in the first round?
That and the reality of this team was that they've at worst got as far as last year's team, and that's something most people would have taken last summer, and took out a quality rival in the process

Old
05-05-2012, 01:31 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

All of this koolaid and expectations talk is just covering up the reality - they have gone backwards defensively. Someone needs to be held accountable for that.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
All of this koolaid and expectations talk is just covering up the reality - they have gone backwards defensively. Someone needs to be held accountable for that.
But went forward offensively. You give and you take I guess.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:34 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But went forward offensively. You give and you take I guess.
A fair enough point.

But we all know what wins in the Spring. That they have regressed is inexcusable.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
A fair enough point.

But we all know what wins in the Spring. That they have regressed is inexcusable.
No, we don't. Just because there's an overused expression, still alive today only because people have nothing better to say, doesn't mean we know whether the bad will outweigh the good.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It didn't help there are two defensemen making over $4M this season who haven't been available.