HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best blueline in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 05:23 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
I dont think the Flyers have that great a blue line, above average for sure, but nowhere near the top five. They arent great offensively, and our good defensive numbers are as much a product of the consistent back checking by the forwards as play by our defenders.

Pitkanen adds a lot, and we have a few steady veterans like Desjardins, and Weinrich, and Ragnarsson. I think the thing which Philly really lacks is a Hatcher or Stevens type player: a big nasty stay at home guy who is reliable and has some skill. Therien has the size and skill, but lacks the killer instinct. Vandermeer is doing ok, but still makes sloppy plays, and isnt physically dominating.

When Healthy I have to go with Detroit, then Ottawa, then either Colorado or Isles.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:31 PM
DJ Spinoza

Without question, it'd be the Penguins. They are just playing bad now to confuse people for when we become impossible to score on.

Seriously, they are a bad defense because as of right now, there is no number one, two, or three defenseman. Hopefully Orpik can fill one of those roles in the future, and Whitney and Schneider/Lupaschuk/Welch can fill the other spots......But right now, it's the worst in the league bar none.

Oh...this is about the best defense in the league. Almost forgot.

For right now, in the future, and all around, I'd say Ottawa.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:41 PM
name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
Chelois and Schneider are useless, its all about Lidstrom keeping that team together defensively.

Look what happens when Lidstrom has a bad run, bam 5 game losing streak.
Oh please, the entire team played terrible during that streak. The goaltending was horrible and even strength scoring was close to 0.

Schneider has been the Wings' 2nd best defenseman ( easily ) and has been playing very well. Fischer has looked bad at times, but we've seen better from him and I'm hoping he'll pick it up in time. Chelios has looked bad. That being said, when Hatcher comes back, hopefully Chelios will be a 3rd pairing D.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I really like the Wings Defense, but I think they lack the system to get the best out of them. Individually they are easily #1. 2nd Are a lot of teams, none really stands out, though if it had to be this season, I like the Nucks and the Blues (even without Al). Teams like Colorado, Ottawa, New Jersey, NYI, Dallas (yes, still a very decent group), San Jose are all solid but way behind the Wings.

Edit: Forgot to add the Sens..

Old
11-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
You have not seen Jiri Fischer play this year if you honestly think that.

He'd be Vancouver's number three defenseman.
I've seen the Wings play half a dozen times already, and Fischer has been very good for 3 of those games, but very bad for 3 of them as well. In the game against the Canucks (5 - 1 Canucks win) he was a -3 and was brutal. The first game against the Canucks, he was great.

He's real inconsistant. Some nights he's great, others he sucks. And that's why I don't think he's quite able to be a #3 defenseman. Until Fischer can play good from one game to the next and stop making dumb mistakes, he'll be a #4 in my books. Same deal with Sopel.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:33 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I really like the Wings Defense, but I think they lack the system to get the best out of them. Individually they are easily #1. 2nd Are a lot of teams, none really stands out, though if it had to be this season, I like the Nucks and the Blues (even without Al). Teams like Colorado, Ottawa, New Jersey, NYI, Dallas (yes, still a very decent group), San Jose are all solid but way behind the Wings.

Edit: Forgot to add the Sens..
How are the NJ Devils way behind the Red Wings? Lidstrom is having an off season so far.

Old
11-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
How are the NJ Devils way behind the Red Wings? Lidstrom is having an off season so far.
Since it isn't entirely based on this season..

Old
11-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
He's real inconsistant. Some nights he's great, others he sucks. And that's why I don't think he's quite able to be a #3 defenseman. Until Fischer can play good from one game to the next and stop making dumb mistakes, he'll be a #4 in my books. Same deal with Sopel.
Difference is, for the time that Fisher plays good, he's simply dominant. And for the time Sopel plays good, he's only responsible for 1 goal against, instead of his usual 3..

Seriously, Fischer is so much better then Sopel..

Old
11-23-2003, 10:49 AM
PigPen

I hate to say it, but I think Chelios has been worse than Dandeneault and Wooley.
Schneider has been above average, when not playing with Lidstrom.

I've only seen Fischer have about 3 bad games. His +/- is so bad because of how terrible Chelios has played the last 10 or 12 games.
With Chelios coughing up the puck and throwing it up the middle every other shift, Fischer doesn't get much of a chance to do anything besides run around while the much less mobile Chelios stands in front of the net and does nothing but screen the goalie.
Last night Chelios got a ridiculous amount of ice time - 26:03 on 29 shifts.

Lidstrom has been anything but Norris calibur this season.
He was absolutely dominant the first 3 games of the year with Hatcher, then he gets paired with Schneider and ends up a consistant minus for the first time in his career.
Why screwy Lewis put those two together I don't know...they had no chemistry and both pinched at the same time due to miscommunications.

Dandeneault hasn't been turning over the puck as much or it's not as noticable now that he plays with a defenseman who turns the puck over more in Jason Wooley.

The bottom line is that the wings' defense has been terrible this year. Second best offense in the league right now with 65, which was everybody's main concern this offseason.
15th in GA currently.

Old
11-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
You have not seen Jiri Fischer play this year if you honestly think that.

He'd be Vancouver's number three defenseman.
he's been bad after his quick start as for the comparison of Hatcher to Stevens

Closed Thread