HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Thread version 10.0: Trade down or stand pat?

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Apparently Grigorenko had mono during the QMJHL playoffs. He's going to miss the combine because of it.
BTW, Toronto invited Grigo to their annual prospects/draft camp (early June). So did Montreal.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:31 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
BTW, Toronto invited Grigo to their annual prospects/draft camp (early June). So did Montreal.
I assume, when this is all said and done, Burke is getting a look at these guys, an if there's one who blows him away, he'll move up to get him.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:40 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
This is like a counter argument for Dumba and a positive argument for Galchenyuk... I'm confused?

Dumba = Skills (Lacks all around game)
You will have to elaborate, general blanket statements confuse me. Care to expand your scouting report? I have already heard the ever creative low hockey IQ argument, where scouts I trust already scoff at.

BTW Galchenyuk was -6 in the playoffs and -8 last year by all accounts he was a great freshman. Yakupov was -2 while 18 pts the better in 3 less games. Maybe all around game has a different meaning to you.

Excuse me if there is an error, those are stats off the top of my head. But I trust they are correct.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Dumba is Beauchemin 2.0... They are basically twins on the ice... Same body type, size, shot and hockey IQ for good or bad.

NO THANKS

It's one of the Fab 5 or bust... Burke will shock us all and move to #2 and take Murray
I'm not even a Dumba fan but this comparison has one MAJOR hole.
Beauchemin is a below average to average skater at best while Dumba is a extremely good skater. You're basically talking about one guy with limited explosiveness to his game to a guy with tons of explosiveness.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Beauchemin is a below average to average skater at best while Dumba is a extremely good skater. You're basically talking about one guy with limited explosiveness to his game to a guy with tons of explosiveness.
I'm a Dumba fan and I struggle to compare him to any 1 player. Comparing him to Beauch who is a good #3 when ANA won the cup is silly. For 1 Dumba is a far better skater. Good of you to point this out.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'm a Dumba fan and I struggle to compare him to any 1 player. Comparing him to Beauch who is a good #3 when ANA won the cup is silly. For 1 Dumba is a far better skater. Good of you to point this out.
I could see a smaller Jack Johnson

Old
05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
I could see a smaller Jack Johnson
All I know whoever drafts him will fall in love with this player, I made the hybrid cross of Subban with Doughty. Meaning he has better hockey sense than Subban but not at the Doughty level. As for the rest, I am not sure, but do believe years from now people will be pegging young prospects as a Dumba type player. Or maybe he is just one of the kind.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:05 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
From the clips ive seen I always think of PK Subban. If anyone knows, could somone tell me what Subban does better than Dumba (maybe more offense?), and what Dumba does better than Subban (I assume hitting). Their skating looks very similar to me.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
From the clips ive seen I always think of PK Subban. If anyone knows, could somone tell me what Subban does better than Dumba (maybe more offense?), and what Dumba does better than Subban (I assume hitting). There skating looks very similar to me.
Based on last year Subban, he didn't do much of anything wrong. On physical talent they are about equal, but Dumba trumps him on instincts. Another big thing not mentioned is Dumba is a natural leader, not sure Subban will ever reach his level. Overall Subban is years older, given that Mathew is still growing, he still has more than we have seen. Have to factor that projection in. He's 9 months younger than Murray. He could and should get even better, afterall he's added an inch and 15-20 lbs from the 5'11 163 lbs listing of a year ago. Imagine in another year of growth.

I know everyone wants Gally, so I am not policking, just chatting with you folks before the Avengers movie!

Old
05-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Yes maybe a better skater but still a very similar player at the pro level IMO.

I dont mean this to be any disrespect to Dumba or Beauchemin... If he can be a good #3 guy in the NHL that a great accomplishment but IMO thats what i think his ceiling is.

at #5 there are some players with higher ceilings

Old
05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
weems

Quote:
Yes maybe a better skater but still a very similar player at the pro level IMO.

I dont mean this to be any disrespect to Dumba or Beauchemin... If he can be a good #3 guy in the NHL that a great accomplishment but IMO thats what i think his ceiling is.

at #5 there are some players with higher ceilings
Dumba is a A significantly better skater then Beauchemin. It would be akin to me comparing Gunnarson's skating ability to Liles.

I really dont see them as comparable players. There skillsets arent even similar. One guy is a dynamic blueliner with high offensive upside while the other is more of a solid all around guy who will if lucky to put up a season of 30 or so points in a season.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Alexander Baigle

As a Canucks/Leafs fan, I hope that the Canucks get Montreal's first round pick. Like, Kesler + 1st for Montreal's first. That way:

EDM - Yakupov
CLB - Murray
VAN - Forsberg/Dumba
NYI - Dumba/Forsberg
TOR - Grigorenko/Galchenyuk.

I can dream.

Old
05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Every kid has upside, every kid will grow as a player. All of them have the potential to make a splash in the league. It's a matter of who your FO wants, and believes will give you the best production moving forward.

I think the guys who will wear letters in the first round are;

Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk, Dumba, Trouba, And Gaunce.

You should get solid leadership from all of the above over the course of their careers.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Every kid has upside, every kid will grow as a player. All of them have the potential to make a splash in the league. It's a matter of who your FO wants, and believes will give you the best production moving forward.

You should get solid leadership from all of the above over the course of their careers.
I think Grigorenko has a better chance to wear a letter than Yakupov. I love Nail but he just isnt that guy.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post

Maiden. He'll come up there too

05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
As a Canucks/Leafs fan, I hope that the Canucks get Montreal's first round pick. Like, Kesler + 1st for Montreal's first. That way:

EDM - Yakupov
CLB - Murray
VAN - Forsberg/Dumba
NYI - Dumba/Forsberg

I can dream.
i puked in my mouth a little...

Old
05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:

EDM - Yakupov
CLB - Murray
VAN - Forsberg/Dumba
NYI - Dumba/Forsberg

I can dream.
U sure your a nuck fan? Why would u trade Kesler + 1st for a pick when the nucks is still a cup contending team, the Sedins aren't getting younger.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Alexander Baigle

Quote:
i puked in my mouth a little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
U sure your a nuck fan? Why would u trade Kesler + 1st for a pick when the nucks is still a cup contending team, the Sedins aren't getting younger.
I suppose if Kesler were traded for that pick, they'd take Grigorenko or Galchenyuk to fill that hole. The Canucks are still a cup contending team, but they could use a bit of a shake after getting so bounced. And getting younger would be great because of their dismal prospect pool.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:18 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 748
Quote:

I suppose if Kesler were traded for that pick, they'd take Grigorenko or Galchenyuk to fill that hole. The Canucks are still a cup contending team, but they could use a bit of a shake after getting so bounced. And getting younger would be great because of their dismal prospect pool.
Well they wouldn't be a cup contender anymore because most are saying Grigo and Galy aren't NHL ready. Maybe the deal could make sense if it was 1st+ for Kesler AND they still had Hodgson. But since they don't have Hodgson, they can't afford to do it. Sedin-Lapierre-Malhotra down the middle won't win you a cup.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Alexander Baigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Well they wouldn't be a cup contender anymore because most are saying Grigo and Galy aren't NHL ready. Maybe the deal could make sense if it was 1st+ for Kesler AND they still had Hodgson. But since they don't have Hodgson, they can't afford to do it. Sedin-Lapierre-Malhotra down the middle won't win you a cup.
Good point, but I'd expect if they traded Kesler they'd also be making other trades. One of Luongo/Schneider has got to go, probably Luongo. Could he fetch a #2C? I think so. Personally, I would consider something around Grabovski for Luongo.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Matty K

What's the word around Leaf Nation when it comes to the Draft?

I know it's still early but is there anyone in particular the Buds are leaning towards Drafting?

Is there a chance the Buds move the Pick for an impact player?

Old
05-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
What's the word around Leaf Nation when it comes to the Draft?

I know it's still early but is there anyone in particular the Buds are leaning towards Drafting?

Is there a chance the Buds move the Pick for an impact player?
well they like Grigerenko and any reports on him not liking Russians is false.

Closed Thread