HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread II

Old
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Tonellisghost has watched Tyler play. If he could chime in on how strong Tyler is on the puck, That would be awesome.

I imagine the Kings would only play him if they are real sure, Tyler could win puck battles, and Be strong on the puck.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Tyler would not play in a playoff game unless there were multiple injuries.

Most teams call up mini-squads of prospects to practice during the NHL playoffs. The Kings usually don't last long in the playoffs for this to be a regular occurance.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=629700

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
So Toffoli may be called up. I would bet money on him not playing though even if he does. Wouldn't be bad to get him some practice with the big boys though.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/04/27...medium=twitter
He would help on the PP

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
He would help on the PP
So would my mother.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:09 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Toffoli is good on the puck and smart enough of a positional player to possibly make the jump in very limited exposure onto the team during the playoffs. I don't think that we will call his number but he should do alright on the PP or the odd 30 second shift or two if we had to use him.

I like the idea of him in Manchester for next season and giving him a few call ups before his being on the team full time but Toffi is a special kid and a special player who has always raised his game to a level above his competition so he could just make the team on talent alone.

I see us giving Andy a few shifts before anyone else but that is only due to his being a DL checking grinding sort of player.

We have some nice weapon kids at our disposal but as others have noted most teams leave them in the bleachers during the playoffs and we will most likely do the same.

I know that Toffi wants to be in the NHL and is doing everything possible to get there. Kid is a real competitor and that usually ends up making a huge difference.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:53 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Toffoli is good on the puck and smart enough of a positional player to possibly make the jump in very limited exposure onto the team during the playoffs. I don't think that we will call his number but he should do alright on the PP or the odd 30 second shift or two if we had to use him.

I like the idea of him in Manchester for next season and giving him a few call ups before his being on the team full time but Toffi is a special kid and a special player who has always raised his game to a level above his competition so he could just make the team on talent alone.

I see us giving Andy a few shifts before anyone else but that is only due to his being a DL checking grinding sort of player.

We have some nice weapon kids at our disposal but as others have noted most teams leave them in the bleachers during the playoffs and we will most likely do the same.

I know that Toffi wants to be in the NHL and is doing everything possible to get there. Kid is a real competitor and that usually ends up making a huge difference.

Im a little confused on Toffoli... I have seen him at two straight development camps, along with two training camps.. Guy has not really impressed me at all in the times I have watched him. Seems like a lazy player, hanging around outside the blue lines. Does not play with a whole lot of intensity, more about trying to pick his spots. Which is ok I suppose.. in junior hockey. Minor league pro and the NHL are no joke. They are a different animal.

Not to mention I cannot really get over how he was bypassed by Team Canada twice for the world junior team. Does that really happen by accident? Or is there more to this?

Bottom Line: It is funny to read on these boards about players who put up big numbers in Major Junior in Canada, which by the way I do not argue is the best developmental league in the world, and rightfully so. But this kid is not ready for the NHL right now, nor will he be ready next year. He needs to develop in the AHL and see what kind of player he is. That's my take anyways, we have other prospects who are paying their dues and should be rewarded, and not hand kids playing time based on their draft positions. RANT OVER.

By the way, Tonelli I respect your opinion immensely. You and I tend to agree on alot of our prospects.. who has a shot and who doesnt. Has toffoli changed as a player this year? Or is it more of a byproduct of being an older guy playing in the OHL, which is a very high scoring run and gun league, and beating average goaltenders with a heavy shot? Thoughts? Love to hear what you think..

HockeyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
Im a little confused on Toffoli... I have seen him at two straight development camps, along with two training camps.. Guy has not really impressed me at all in the times I have watched him. Seems like a lazy player, hanging around outside the blue lines. Does not play with a whole lot of intensity, more about trying to pick his spots. Which is ok I suppose.. in junior hockey. Minor league pro and the NHL are no joke. They are a different animal.

Not to mention I cannot really get over how he was bypassed by Team Canada twice for the world junior team. Does that really happen by accident? Or is there more to this?

Bottom Line: It is funny to read on these boards about players who put up big numbers in Major Junior in Canada, which by the way I do not argue is the best developmental league in the world, and rightfully so. But this kid is not ready for the NHL right now, nor will he be ready next year. He needs to develop in the AHL and see what kind of player he is. That's my take anyways, we have other prospects who are paying their dues and should be rewarded, and not hand kids playing time based on their draft positions. RANT OVER.

By the way, Tonelli I respect your opinion immensely. You and I tend to agree on alot of our prospects.. who has a shot and who doesnt. Has toffoli changed as a player this year? Or is it more of a byproduct of being an older guy playing in the OHL, which is a very high scoring run and gun league, and beating average goaltenders with a heavy shot? Thoughts? Love to hear what you think..

I appreciate your opinion and think you have made a few valid points in regards to what is the cause for Toffi's development. It is true that overagers tend to do allot better in the Jr leagues but while that is true elite type players tend to do so as well.

Te trick is determining which player has the goods and which is simply benefiting from physical dominance or at least somewhat so.

I first have to admit that as a former 67 I tend to bleed red white and black so I have to warn you to take this one with a grain of salt. I spend allot of time, too much time around the team and have watched TT a ton since his entry into the league. I have seen him play against the very best of the players in jr's and he is in my opinion one of the top 3 prospects outside of the NHL.

Too high of praise? Maybe but here is why.

TT has developed his skating from Luc's days in Hull to more in line with Luc's days with Gretzky. He isn't slow by any means and has worked very hard on his skating but the key to his improvement over this past season has been the effort he has put into working on his balance.

There are several prospects who have begun working on different balance oriented technique's but TT has taken to this aspect of his skating development like no other. The proof is in the pudding, if you watch him skate today which could be possible you will see a young man who has broken out of his kid level skating and now has the grit wheels and balance to skate with NHL players.

The second reason I feel so strongly about TT is that he never backs down along the boards. The kid puts his head down and goes to work. While he won't be Shane Doan or JT etc the kid is very hard to knock off the puck and that is a good thing. His natural talent is in his shot and his vision and when he is along the boards he uses his vision and grit to make smart O minded plays. They may not always click but he does have a solid skillset in these two disciplines.

He has also picked up some excellent weight on his shot both wrister and slap. That is a big bonus because he still needs work imo in how quickly he gets these shots off. The one area that I think he needs work on is becoming quicker in releasing his shot(s) and also in driving the net (knowing when to or doing it with a little more frequency).

I guess I would call his game today as a blend between a young (think Hull version) of Luc and a sort of todays version of JW in his ability to create space. In a year, maybe two I can see TT being one of the better young wingers in the NHL (rookie/maybe sophomore). He needs to work on those two areas to become a day to day NHL player imo but the kid is solid everywhere else.

He will need the typical development time that all kids (save the rare few) do to pick up the speed game in the NHL but he is a fast learner so it could come quickly.

As to his being overlooked for the wjc's. F the people who are allowed to select the players for these things even when they fall in our favor. They are nothing more than a popularity contest for players who get the most media or play in bigger markets. That is why every year there is a kid who "comes out of nowhere" to become a great young player in the NHL.

The pundits never heard of them or so they will say but everyone else has. TT didn't get selected over a couple of kids who as their play proved out weren't as good as him or at least weren't as talented offencively as him.

So has TT turned into a fire breathing beater who can score at will? No and that isn't what you were asking but he is rapidly becoming a finesse player with a nice amount of edge who can skate well enough to be an NHL regular and score go to goals for us.

I think he is close to ready but I may be too close to say how much so. I still say put him on the Monarchs to start the season and then reward him with a call up from time to time depending on his play and sooner rather than later (within a year) he should be contributing to our top 6 imo.

I feel pretty strongly about TT but again, take it with a grain of salt. I am a homer and this kid does some pretty incredible things.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Peter James Bond

Tonellisghost:

Thanks for taking the time you do with your insights, in depth reviews, as well as imparting the tidbits of inside knowledge you have.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
Tonellisghost:

Thanks for taking the time you do with your insights, in depth reviews, as well as imparting the tidbits of inside knowledge you have.
Thanks to you too and everyone else. I get hyper focused on players and miss allot things. I learn as much here sometimes as I do anywhere else.

Nice to see you back here.

Old
05-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Qubax

What are some thoughts on Jordan Weal. What is this kids upside.

I know he is behind other small Kings players...namely Azevedo and Kozun....

BUT Weal had 116 points and his next closest teamate had 55.

He led his team in scoring by 61 points, more then doubling him...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post

Not sure what the kings think of him. They would not play him in the playoffs in the AHL but played others that came from the CHL in the playoffs.

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:31 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post

I think Weal has a lot of work ahead to have a shot with the Kings; would have to develop a really crafty game.

Think Marty ST. Lou. type game. The Kings use a heavy Fore check, with big bodies.

Kozun seems to play bigger than he is, seems like it leads to injuries for that guy though.

Azevedo is a career AHL guy, I don't see the Kings giving him a chance.

Weal has a lot of work to do sadly, Linden Vey said it best about the AHL......"You are playing MEN in this league".

Old
05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
SuperAlmeida

What will happen with Maxim Kitsyn next season? Did he sign for two years with the KHL? Does he have a clause so he could come back?

EDIT:

"Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Kings prospect Maxim Kitsyn said he’ll most likely start next year in the KHL."

FML!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
What will happen with Maxim Kitsyn next season? Did he sign for two years with the KHL? Does he have a clause so he could come back?

EDIT:

"Dmitry Chesnokov via twitter: Kings prospect Maxim Kitsyn said he’ll most likely start next year in the KHL."

FML!
So he'll be back in the MHL two weeks in to the season?

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
So he'll be back in the MHL two weeks in to the season?
If so, that sucks. If stats are anything to go by, he's wasting his time there. Dean needs to bring him to Manchester.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
If so, that sucks. If stats are anything to go by, he's wasting his time there. Dean needs to bring him to Manchester.
Think this is the last year of his KHL contract.

Hopefully he makes the camps.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I've said the same thing. I keep hoping there's a way Dean might buy him out of his KHL contract.

Sybil227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:

EDIT:

FML!
Ugh, That sucks!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:04 AM
damacles1156

Quote:

EDIT:

FML!
That is probably it for that Kid. Should probably just stay in the KHL.

Man the KHL is wasting that Kid's Talent.

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-09-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old
05-13-2012, 05:10 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
anyone get to watch gibson in the playoffs? cicioochie? i dunno

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote