HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose "Defense" Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  #51
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you cant teach defense to guys that have never played defense their entire career.
some coaches can

look at Roman Hamrlik

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...6Ex4JGa_9ivLYF

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
  #52
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
That really is your only thing. You hate the goalie. every other facet of what makes a team good or bad you either completely ignore or is over your head.
Are you watching the NY/Wash game?

Could very easily be 4 or 5 Wash but the King is usually making the saves when the D breaks down.

Yet it stands 2-2.

I never said every goal is on Bryz. But I think its hard to ignore that he is obviously in the top 3 non playoff performs for this team to date.

I posted facts that prove that our D does not have the worst shots against out of the teams in the playoffs yet however our GAA basically is.

I wonder why.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
  #53
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well then there are certian people who want to absolve Bryzgalov of little to no fault.
Duh, and then there are people who want to blame him for EVERYTHING! It's a never ending back and forth tard fest of an argument but i want you to know that i see his crappy goals he lets in and i do blame him for them but i really do think he's play well in this series. game 1 we won. game 2 he held us in as long as he could before we were completely outplayed. game 3 same thing. a lot of people are blaming that overtime goal on him but he made th first save of a 2 on 1 and no one was there to clear the rebound, yea i know, he shouldn't have allowed a rebound but the team should've scored on the power plays we had in overtime. but your right, he allowed the goal so its HIS fault we lost. he sucks. I really wish we could put any goalie from around the league we want in goal for one game just to see what happens with the way we play. if only that were possible, it would prove so much.


Last edited by funghoul: 05-05-2012 at 01:53 PM.
funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:46 PM
  #54
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Are you watching the NY/Wash game?

Could very easily be 4 or 5 Wash but the King is usually making the saves when the D breaks down.

Yet it stands 2-2.

I never said every goal is on Bryz. But I think its hard to ignore that he is obviously in the top 3 non playoff performs for this team to date.

I posted facts that prove that our D does not have the worst shots against out of the teams in the playoffs yet however our GAA basically is.

I wonder why.
Henrik lundqvist is an insanely good goalie. What is your point? Bryzgalov is good also. These are two different goalies on two very different teams. It's cool that you hate him. i don't care. do what you want. also we played the penguins, they played the senators. but i guess its all the same.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:24 PM
  #55
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
game 4 NYR blocked 7 shots. WAS blocked 26.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 03:46 PM
  #56
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Henrik lundqvist is an insanely good goalie. What is your point? Bryzgalov is good also. These are two different goalies on two very different teams. It's cool that you hate him. i don't care. do what you want. also we played the penguins, they played the senators. but i guess its all the same.
I don't hate Bryz the person.

I hate Bryz the bad goaltender.

And what we are getting here (and what we got 9/10 of the season) is bad goaltending.

Its not even average goaltending. He is literally the worst of the remaining goalies.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
  #57
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I don't hate Bryz the person.

I hate Bryz the bad goaltender.

And what we are getting here (and what we got 9/10 of the season) is bad goaltending.

Its not even average goaltending. He is literally the worst of the remaining goalies.
I know you don't hate him "personally". how could you? you don't know him. I'm talking about the goaltending part. as far as his stats. they are bad but they don't explain everything. especially after that first round.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:05 PM
  #58
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Henrik lundqvist is an insanely good goalie.
agreed. and he had a softie today in a 1 goal loss.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
  #59
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
agreed. and he had a softie today in a 1 goal loss.
How dare you? thats king henry? don't you know he's perfect? it must have been the teams fault unlike us where its always the opposite. The thing with Bryzgalov is he's a solid goalie. he's not this insane patrick roy, terry sawchuck type goalie. he's a good, solid, NHL goalie. That's what he's always been and that's what he's been giving us. Your either blind or stunad. (not you, bernie) probably a little both if you think he's to blame for everything that went on in a transition year with the turnover we had. The craziest thing is he's been worth the money. We got what we paid for. People have insanely high standards. lower them. your only disappointing yourself. Our defensive system sucks. No goalie can save us from that. live with it.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:14 PM
  #60
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I know you don't hate him "personally". how could you? you don't know him. I'm talking about the goaltending part. as far as his stats. they are bad but they don't explain everything. especially after that first round.
To me that argument gets thrown out the window being he has let in 3, 3 and 4 goals in this series.

Game one is the biggest problem. Very strong game by Philly and he still let in a bunch of stinkers that took us to OT.

The last game wasn't that bad of a game, but he (and others) could have played a whole lot better.

As I said in the Bryz 5 thread, he wasn't the main reason we lost but he sure as heck was a part of it.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  #61
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
To me that argument gets thrown out the window being he has let in 3, 3 and 4 goals in this series.

Game one is the biggest problem. Very strong game by Philly and he still let in a bunch of stinkers that took us to OT.

The last game wasn't that bad of a game, but he (and others) could have played a whole lot better.

As I said in the Bryz 5 thread, he wasn't the main reason we lost but he sure as heck was a part of it.
Your throwing out your own argument? your stats are based off the playoffs as a whole but now you don't want to talk about the main reason his stats are bloated? as far as this series he has outplayed Brodeur. the flyers have not outplayed the devils, thats our problem. Bryzgalov is not God. I'm not saying he is, but he's played pretty good. We won game one and it was really only that 3rd goal that was questionable. in fact i'll give it to you, he should've stopped it but in reality it was just a flukey fake shot in off the inside of his pad that he misread. it was still an odd man situation. game 2 he was awesome. he rocked the devils in game 2 and we couldn't score to help him out. he was out there by himself. a one man show. game 3 was the same as game 2 but we just played slightly better. We were guilty of giving up too many odd man rushes and weird defensive decisions in the playoffs lead to unnecessary defensive problems.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  #62
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Your throwing out your own argument? your stats are based off the playoffs as a whole but now you don't want to talk about the main reason his stats are bloated? as far as this series he has outplayed Brodeur. the flyers have not outplayed the devils, thats our problem. Bryzgalov is not God. I'm not saying he is, but he's played pretty good. We won game one and it was really only that 3rd goal that was questionable. in fact i'll give it to you, he should've stopped it but in reality it was just a flukey fake shot in off the inside of his pad that he misread. it was still an odd man situation. game 2 he was awesome. he rocked the devils in game 2 and we couldn't score to help him out. he was out there by himself. a one man show. game 3 was the same as game 2 but we just played slightly better. We were guilty of giving up too many odd man rushes and weird defensive decisions in the playoffs lead to unnessasary defensive problems.
No. I said your argument that his stats are biased due to the first series because his stats for this series are nearly identical.

3,3,4 goals scored against in this series with a lusty .890 SAV.
1,3,5,4,5,3 goals scored against in the Pitt series with a .860 SAV.

What is the difference this series compared to the last? Our offense isn't routinely bailing him out by scoring 4+ goals.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
  #63
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Trying to get back on topic, I'm surprised Lilja hasn't been taken out of the lineup.

He has obviously regressed.

Stick Kubina back in and tell him to shoot when given the puck.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
  #64
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Trying to get back on topic, I'm surprised Lilja hasn't been taken out of the lineup.

He has obviously regressed.

Stick Kubina back in and tell him to shoot when given the puck.
Kubina has been worse than Lilja

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:45 PM
  #65
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
agreed. and he had a softie today in a 1 goal loss.
I think you are being generous. The first was Ovechkin from near the blueline, unscreened, five hole, I think. The game winner was from atop the circle, unscreened, five hole.

Don't even get me started on his paddle...

Goalies give up goals.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:39 AM
  #66
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Jack Johnson
-want
Or
-not want
?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:11 AM
  #67
sobrien
Oshie Hipster
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Or they have netminders that don't let in 3+ goals a game.
Oops, spoke to soon. 3 spot for Hank today, and a really soft 1st goal. Guess he's horrible now, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well then there are certian people who want to absolve Bryzgalov of little to no fault.
Are those the same people that look at the whole team as an issue, or all the contexts in question? Yunno, different from the ones who draw conclusions by looking at a stat line?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:39 AM
  #68
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I think you are being generous. The first was Ovechkin from near the blueline, unscreened, five hole, I think. The game winner was from atop the circle, unscreened, five hole.

Don't even get me started on his paddle...

Goalies give up goals.
the 1st goal was the one that he looked like he tried to catch with his eyes closed - he looked like he was wearing boxing gloves & 'shrugged' and tried to catch it at the same time ... flubbed off his glove & into the net.

far uglier than ANY goal let in by our goalies in the playoffs. clearly Hank's fault.

mistakes happen. most teams fan would say 'hey, we got the goal back & had plenty of chances to win after that' .... most teams fans .....


i did notice those teams trying to block every shot .. WAS got 26

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:11 AM
  #69
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Jack Johnson
-want
Or
-not want
?
Not want! Part of the reason LA started to play better was due to him being traded. His defensive play is pretty bad. Besides that, after the Carter debacle in Columbus they aren't going to get rid of JJ as well.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
  #70
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Is it possible we just got too cocky?

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
  #71
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Jack Johnson
-want
Or
-not want
?
No. If you thought you hated Carle...

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:26 PM
  #72
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,714
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Oops, spoke to soon. 3 spot for Hank today, and a really soft 1st goal. Guess he's horrible now, right?



Are those the same people that look at the whole team as an issue, or all the contexts in question? Yunno, different from the ones who draw conclusions by looking at a stat line?

Yeah I would rather have Bryzgalov instead of Lundqvist Why do people seem to think just because Bryzgalov couldnt stop a shot, no one can.
I have said it several times. Bryzgalov isnt at fault 100 percent, but He needs to be better. He hasnt been very good. You dont have to look at the "stats"
If you didnt look at the stats would you be happy with how hes played? He has been inconsistant this whole playoffs. not even from game to game. but in game play he has been inconsistant.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:59 PM
  #73
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,838
vCash: 500
Need a big game out of the defense. Lilja really needs to step it up.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  #74
Mike2000z28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philly, now montreal
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
For me the goaltending has been the least of our worries this series. Its everyone else who is failing with all things being equal.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
  #75
sobrien
Oshie Hipster
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Yeah I would rather have Bryzgalov instead of Lundqvist Why do people seem to think just because Bryzgalov couldnt stop a shot, no one can.
I have said it several times. Bryzgalov isnt at fault 100 percent, but He needs to be better. He hasnt been very good. You dont have to look at the "stats"
If you didnt look at the stats would you be happy with how hes played? He has been inconsistant this whole playoffs. not even from game to game. but in game play he has been inconsistant.
I don't look at the stats, because I know they're ******. It's a waste of time. Again, if I decided to become a sports fan today, and started with baseball...is Albert Pujols one of the worst players in baseball? He's got bad stats...he must be. Right? I work in retail, my sales statistics are down. Does that mean I'm a bad salesman? My corporation seems to think so. But since I'm the one on the front lines selling...I know there are reasons to why sales numbers are down. Same goes for Bryz, there's a reason his stats suck. Is he perfect? No.

To answer your question, yes I would think he's played well w/o stats in this series...the playoffs as a whole, not as much. He had a couple bad games against PIT. There are so many people in these threads throwing stats out here and not looking at the reasons why. Bryz has made some mistakes, some costly. The defense has made MANY mistakes, some costly...aka Bryz HAS bailed them out quite a few times (contrary to peoples beliefs that he just lets the team down constantly).

The defense needs to step it up tonight. Carle already looks half asleep in this interview with Pierre.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.