HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Game 4: Rangers @ Caps. 12:30pm. VC. 5.5.2012 (Ninja Murphy Ringleader thread)

Old
05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Can't decide who's more despondent over the Capitals win today, Ranger fans or the NBC broadcast crew. Geesh, can Doc, Pierre and Eddie be a little less bias please.
How on Earth can someone BE bias? What?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

vCash: 500
Beagle was 5/18 on draws.
Hendricks was 9/9 on draws.

Bizarro world.

Also, out of 55 draws, either Richards or Boyle took 45 of them. And they were each below 50%. What is Tortorella doing/thinking?

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Capsman

You know, the more that I watch that Ovechkin hit, the more adamant I am that he should not be suspended. First of all, the notion that Ovie went after Girardi is incorrect. If you watch the play from behind Ovie, he initially slides his left foot out trying to kick the puck to himself with his left skate, while seeing Girardi coming on. He would be a complete idiot to look down at the puck and disregard Girardi, that would be a Mike Green concussion move. Girardi, in the meantime, is clearly anticipating Ovie getting control of the puck and heads toward him. After Ovie misses the puck he does not change directions toward Girardi, but rather continues on his initial path (which was dictated by where he would have gone with the puck). So up to this point this was not Ovie going out of his way to find Girardi. In fact, Girardi is looking at the puck initially, then looks back at Ovie probably thinking he has possession of the puck, and takes a stride with his left foot in the direction he thinks Ovie will go (seen in photo below). This was not a defenseless skater blindsided but rather a guy trying to make a play on Ovie.

That brings us to the hit itself. Ovie's right foot was CLEARLY on the ice at the point of impact. That is not even arguable. So the "leaving his feet" argument holds no water. A very similar hit by Orpik on Skinner comes to mind, where Orpik went airborne AFTER contact. That hit received no supplemental discipline. Also, here, Girardi is skating very low, so I'm not really sure how Ovie avoids the head.

Here are images of the play continued, watch Girardi's low stride toward where he thinks Ovie is going with the puck.

Last edited by Capsman: 11-07-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:43 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

First picture seems to clearly show no initial contact to the head, skate on ice...all there is to it.

05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Guess I was wrong. His skate was still on the ground.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
sunnydaycrash

It's a shame cos I think the controversy is due to the NBC feed....CBC had a replay that clearly and I mean clearly showed the shoulder being hit first.....I wish someone could capture that

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Guess I was wrong. His skate was still on the ground.
Im sorry but he did charge. The video shows that but the pictures show the shoulder to shoulder

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
So far I certainly prefer the Bruins fans.
Gotta say I thought the Bruins fans here were pretty bad for whining about non-calls on some of Marchand & companies dives (among other things..), but Rangers fans here are just awful.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
butters8814

i am getting sick and tired of these rag fans that are crying and *****ing and moaning about this. Typical rag fans

butters8814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:52 PM
txpd

the way to avoid sick and tired is to stay away from where they are. they are not here. forget it.

i see evidence proving ov had a skate down and contact to the shoulder. that means 10 games for ovechkin now and hunter suspended for yapping after the announcement.

ha....fun

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Langway
Intangibles

StapeNewsday: League source says it's highly unlikely Alex Ovechkin will face further discipline for hit on Dan Girardi today. #NYR #WSH

As it should be.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Im sorry but he did charge. The video shows that but the pictures show the shoulder to shoulder
Sorry, but again that goes back to the latter photos I posted. Here is the definition of charging.

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Ovie did not charge Girardi. How on earth is it a charge when the opponent thinks you have the puck and is taking a stride toward you? Girardi is just as guilty of charging then, but the difference is he is not as strong as Ovie.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:07 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
You know, the more that I watch that Ovechkin hit, the more adamant I am that he should not be suspended. First of all, the notion that Ovie went after Girardi is incorrect. If you watch the play from behind Ovie, he initially slides his left foot out trying to kick the puck to himself with his left skate, while seeing Girardi coming on. He would be a complete idiot to look down at the puck and disregard Girardi, that would be a Mike Green concussion move. Girardi, in the meantime, is clearly anticipating Ovie getting control of the puck and heads toward him. After Ovie misses the puck he does not change directions toward Girardi, but rather continues on his initial path (which was dictated by where he would have gone with the puck). So up to this point this was not Ovie going out of his way to find Girardi. In fact, Girardi is looking at the puck initially, then looks back at Ovie probably thinking he has possession of the puck, and takes a stride with his left foot in the direction he thinks Ovie will go (seen in photo below). This was not a defenseless skater blindsided but rather a guy trying to make a play on Ovie.

That brings us to the hit itself. Ovie's right foot was CLEARLY on the ice at the point of impact. That is not even arguable. So the "leaving his feet" argument holds no water. A very similar hit by Orpik on Skinner comes to mind, where Orpik went airborne AFTER contact. That hit received no supplemental discipline. Also, here, Girardi is skating very low, so I'm not really sure how Ovie avoids the head.

Here are images of the play continued, watch Girardi's low stride toward where he thinks Ovie is going with the puck.

Attention Washington Post and Washington Times reporters. Please use the information in this post on your blogs.

That is all.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Atlas

Ovechkin was penalized for being a bigger, stronger man. Girardi came in low and took the worst of it. Ovechkin was trying to avoid getting hit.

Caps in 6!

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

nice pictures caps man.

after seeing that i think ovi is safe and shouldnt have to go to a hearing.

and typical rangers fans would want to win the series by beating us with our captain out.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
StapeNewsday: League source says it's highly unlikely Alex Ovechkin will face further discipline for hit on Dan Girardi today. #NYR #WSH

As it should be.

Mike Green getting untracked (for him) offensively in the playoffs is a very good thing to see.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Attention Washington Post and Washington Times reporters. Please use the information in this post on your blogs.

That is all.
lol

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
txpd

newsday says very unlikely? nice.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
granted i havent paid too much attention to the kings games but backstroms gotta be up there for smythe at this point. shame his points dont reflect his play.
Yeah Backstrom's 6 points in 10 games should have him well positioned for the Conn Smythe, assuming the Caps win the cup of course...

Really dude? Really...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Mike Green getting untracked (for him) offensively in the playoffs is a very good thing to see.
Indeed. He likes to front and keep it subdued but you could tell immediately after how much it meant to him.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

We only got 2, but the power play was pretty awesome today. Had 6 good looks on the first one, and scored the game winner on the 2nd. Kill was also very, very good.

There's a growing special teams advantage in this series, tilted in our favor.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:06 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Jesus, 55 had 9 blocks today?! That was more than the entire Rangers team.

I thought he had his best game of the playoffs (the Gaborik goal was 100% on Wideman, IMO), but I didn't realize he was that involved in shotblocking.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Jesus, 55 had 9 blocks today?! .
dale in the post game presser, "He had nine???"

Old
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
you can't be serious......... everyone but you and rangers fans think it was just a penalty.
and Coyote fans...FREE RAFFI!

We're just looking for consistency from the league, and not finding it.

MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
What's usiel's GDT playoff record?
I think I'm at least .500 but I'm too lazy to check/back up that, heh. Maybe because I put some vcash on the game. I give all credit to Murphy and my parental units. Icing and off sides were the parts of the game my poor Mom was having the most difficulty understanding. She watched the entire game though.

Great game though the caps had some serious primo chances in this game. Best of three and another home game guaranteed.