HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Minimum gear to practice shooting?

Old
05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Minimum gear to practice shooting?

I'll be in Hawaii for a month over the summer. No ice, so I'm hoping to work on stickhandling and shooting.

I know I need a stick and a puck/green biscuit.

For actual shooting - what's the minimum equipment I would need? I'm assuming some sort of surface - hopefully something I could pick up at a home depot type store? Obviously I don't want to have to take it there with me on the plane.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:26 PM
ausername1

You might want to stickhandle and shoot with your gloves if you have some, it'll help you get use to maneuvering in them for when you actually play. (you'd be surprised how different it is without them)

As for surfaces, there are a lot of options. If you want something you can take there and back they make roll-up shooting pads-they're kind of expensive but it might be worth it depending on how much you travel, there's a review of it at howtohockey.com. For something cheaper, a lot of people use a mix of surfaces and lubricants. Typically I hear whiteboard and WD-40 or a silicon spray. there are things other than whiteboard that will work and some may not even need a lube but it all depends on what you can find at home depot or other store of that type. There are also a lot of blogs and videos of people building and usuing them you might want to check out, there are some good ones i've found on youtube but I don't have the links right now.

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
beth

I'm not sure the green biscuit is made for shooting - just for practicing stickhandling. But you won't need a special surface for it, so that's good. If you practice shooting, though, you'd want multiple things to shoot, and an area that will catch them!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
I'm not sure the green biscuit is made for shooting - just for practicing stickhandling. But you won't need a special surface for it, so that's good. If you practice shooting, though, you'd want multiple things to shoot, and an area that will catch them!
You're right it isn't...though it can be used for younger players or players who cannot shoot the puck very hard or high. Just don't shoot it against a hard surface or take any slappers with it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
dwreckm

I have some Dryland Tiles I use to practice shooting on. They wernt quite slick enough for a good simulation, so I put a coat of silicon spray on them and it works great. Other than that, hockey gloves, some pucks, a green biscuit, and a Swedish stickhandling ball. Home Depot does carry this 4x8 sheet of whiteboard type material though, for fairly cheap, and a good spray down with silicone spray and it should work just as well.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Thanks! I do use the biscuit for stickhandling (not shooting) and I'm sure I can find a good place to practice that.

I have no idea whether or not there will be a good shooting area there, but I'm pretty sure I can find something at HD to use as a surface if there is a good spot. I will definitely face away from the ocean, pucks are cheap but not that cheap.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
flyers10

Thrifty White Board. About $12 at Lowes or Home Depot. Just trash it when you come back to the mainland.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:07 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Sounds like a plan!

Has anyone ever shipped a stick to HI? I know it's $25 each way to have it checked as baggage. Not sure if the USPS would be cheaper, or safer than United.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Might want to ask around, I'm sure there are rinks around.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
qmechanic

You could also get a blue puck to practice with. The blue ones are lighter than regulation, so it might be easier to lift. There are also red pucks which are heavier than regulation.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:44 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Sounds like a plan!

Has anyone ever shipped a stick to HI? I know it's $25 each way to have it checked as baggage. Not sure if the USPS would be cheaper, or safer than United.
When I went to hockey camp in Minnesota, I had tons of trouble when I tried to bring the stick on the plane as oversized baggage. Often the stick would come out last and I'd have to look all over the terminal to see where they put the oversized baggage. Or they would "lose" the sticks and deliver them later.

So the next year, I sent the sticks by UPS, and yeah, no problems. The camp director gave me this idea and I think it worked great.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:59 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Might want to ask around, I'm sure there are rinks around.
Not on Kauai. The only rink is on Oahu,

Old
05-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Preferably everything.

Bare minimum is stick, puck, gloves.

Optimum would include all upper gear.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:03 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

One thing I haven't really thought enough about - what should I be shooting AT?

I won't be taking a net or anything there, but I am sure it would be good to have a target of some sort.

My friend suggested shooting at a tree, but I think that would be bad for the tree.

I definitely need to have something to keep the puck from flying into traffic, people, windows, etc. I'm assuming I'll be able to find a wall or something that I can shoot at, but since it's not my place I don't want to do damage or anything. I'm thinking maybe if I can find a nice park with perhaps some sort of low wall, that would work. If it's made out of rock (as lots of walls in Hawaii tend to be - volcanic rock is plentiful!), I'm thinking that would stop the puck without doing damage to the wall.

Another thing I've seen done is tying a rope between two trees and putting up a sheet or something to have as a target. I would definitely want to make sure it's not a place where unsuspecting people might walk up behind the sheet, though.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
AIREAYE

If you haven't got a hard shot, shoot a Green Biscuit against a flat wall, the rebound quality on those things are ridiculous!

Old
05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Wooty

When I was younger, I used to go into a parking garage near me. There were no cars in the garage.

I had a bucket of real pucks. I put them on the ground and shot at the wall across from me. I took a peace of charcoal from a BBQ and put a mark on the wall. Multiple marks maybe good for being able to switch targets.

At the time the bucket was empty was when I need a break so I could collect the pucks and start again.

I really got my strength up and it made it so I was able to shoot better from any position, without focusing too much on the puck. One thing, the puck will start to fall apart. The rougher the wall the faster I think.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:30 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you haven't got a hard shot, shoot a Green Biscuit against a flat wall, the rebound quality on those things are ridiculous!
Nope, not a hard shot. I can get the puck moving a decent distance, but can't lift it or get it to really make that THUNK against the boards/pads/glass.

I can hit hard enough that if I'm about 10-12 feet away from the boards and I hit it, it will come back out to me. So I'm thinking that's not so hard that the biscuit will fall apart, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:17 PM
AIREAYE

Yes ma'am, I've had mine for a year and I'm pretty sure that I've put more abuse into it than normal. You should be fine

Old
05-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I ruined the last wall I was shooting pucks at.

They had to repaint that entire area after one session by me. Even then it was still covered in divots.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Wooty

Is a Green Biscuit the same as Fly Puck?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:18 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
How much are you willing to spend on a setup?

For shooting pad, I'd definitely recommend getting a Whiteboard from any big hardware store. It's around $12 for a 8'x4' sheet that the store can cut into smaller sizes for you if you want. I personally get them to cut it into three 4'x2.66' sections. Definitely inexpensive. $4 can of Silicone Lube and it's as slick as ice.

For a shooting target you could do something like what I have, a fishing net strung up on a rope between two trees or whatever you have to tie it to. It could fit in luggage without too much trouble I'd assume so you could even take it back home again and string it up there.

Here's a link to the ebay seller I bought my net from. They have all kinds of sizes. Link.

Here's a link to my setup with links to the materials. I use a 12' x 25' net so you get an idea for the size.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote