HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada's goaltending since 2010

Old
05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
PhoenyX

vCash: 500
I'd be scared if we didn't have Price. Thank goodness for him!

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
HarveySpecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
1. Price
2. Elliot
3. Smith
4. Fleury
5. Luongo
nope

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
HarveySpecter

I can't wait till Visentin makes it back to the international stage.. people here are going to lose it

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
He's American
Russell Martin then?

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:55 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
I can't wait till Visentin makes it back to the international stage.. people here are going to lose it
Visentin would make a good water boy.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:57 PM
PaulieVegas

I think you guys are overreacting just a little on your goaltending situation. You do have some good depth. There are at least 2-3 countries with no depth but a solid #1. Trouble is, because you only play one goaltender, that might be more important than depth.

I think someone will step up between now and Sochi and you'll be fine. Carey Price and Mike Smith are probably the most likely. I've always liked Smith and never understood why Dallas got rid of him (yes Brad Richards is good, but to lose Smith when Turco was shown signs of age was rough).

I wouldn't start mentioning Holtby in any conversations just yet. Remember, this is a guy who couldn't beat out an aging Vokoun and a crappy Neivirth just a month ago.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
PaulieVegas

I think you guys are overreacting just a little on your goaltending situation. You do have some good depth. There are at least 2-3 countries with no depth but a more solid #1. Trouble is, because you only play one goaltender, that might be more important than depth. Unless that #1 gets hurt, imagine where Slovakia would be if Halak is injured come Sochi?

I think someone will step up between now and Sochi and you'll be fine. Carey Price and Mike Smith are probably the most likely. I've always liked Smith and never understood why Dallas got rid of him (yes Brad Richards is good, but to lose Smith when Turco was shown signs of age was rough).

I wouldn't start mentioning Holtby in any conversations just yet. Remember, this is a guy who couldn't beat out an aging Vokoun and a crappy Neivirth just a month ago.

Old
05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

I think everyone is over reacting
The Canadian goaltending will be fine, just cause there's Rinne's, Quick's, Lundqvists and what not out there doesn't mean we're in trouble, Miller was the tourney MVP and look how well that worked out. I'm more worried about our offense or defense not showing up.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:13 PM
BLBarmada

Fucale, Comrie, and Subban will change that, there's also Mason McDonald and Keven Bouchard who are highly regarded...

I think we are overeacting, maybe we've gotten a little complacent in the way we play.. I don't wanna blame coaching.. But I'm no fan of Sutter...

Things are constantly changing...

I think we're gunna be alright, Wardo will pick it up.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:55 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Fucale, Comrie, and Subban will change that, there's also Mason McDonald and Keven Bouchard who are highly regarded...

I think we are overeacting, maybe we've gotten a little complacent in the way we play.. I don't wanna blame coaching.. But I'm no fan of Sutter...

Things are constantly changing...

I think we're gunna be alright, Wardo will pick it up.
We haven't gotten great (~.920-.930) consistent goaltending since the 2008 WJC. There is a cause for concern here.

Last edited by TonsofPuppies*: 05-06-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old
05-06-2012, 06:41 AM
fredrikstad

The answer is easy.
In Canada you play way to many games,and therefore the goaltenders training way to little.
That goes for the WHL,AHL and NHL at least. The ideal dose of training is 3 practises for every one game
A goalie nead to work on details,details and details.
And all this goes for skaters to,but it`s even more important for goaltenders.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by fredrikstad: 05-06-2012 at 06:51 AM.
fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
The answer is easy.
In Canada you play way to many games,and therefore the goaltenders training way to little.
That goes for the WHL,AHL and NHL at least. The ideal dose of training is 3 practises for every one game
A goalie nead to work on details,details and details.
And all this goes for skaters to,but it`s even more important for goaltenders.

Just my two cents.
I believe that the US has similar development systems as Canada and they are pumping out elite goaltenders left and right.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
I believe that the US has similar development systems as Canada and they are pumping out elite goaltenders left and right.
Of the top six American goaltenders right now, five (Quick, Thomas, Miller, Schneider, and Howard) came through the college system which features less games and more practice. Anderson is the only one who went the CHL route.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Of the top six American goaltenders right now, five (Quick, Thomas, Miller, Schneider, and Howard) came through the college system which features less games and more practice. Anderson is the only one who went the CHL route.
Quote:
American players go get a brain before they start making money, Canadians go straight for the money.
-Doug Shedden

During the CAN - USA game.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:43 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Very interesting point.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
joe89

Quote:
..And training more than playing games is a theory that holds for European goaltenders aswell. Goaltenders need games for development, but there's probably something true to the fact that you can play too many games aswell. Whether that's the reason or not, who knows. Maybe the Canadian goaltending coaches on youth level have fallen behind?

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
..And training more than playing games is a theory that holds for European goaltenders aswell. Goaltenders need games for development, but there's probably something true to the fact that you can play too many games aswell. Whether that's the reason or not, who knows. Maybe the Canadian goaltending coaches on youth level have fallen behind?
There has definately been a dearth of top-notch Canadian goalies coming up over the last few years. It could just be cyclical. The U.S. had a similar drought in the early-mid 2000s where the cream of the crop was DiPietro, Esche, and Grahame. USA Hockey has made more of an attempt to a create a "world" view with its development programs, and I think its paying off.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:10 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
There has definately been a dearth of top-notch Canadian goalies coming up over the last few years. It could just be cyclical. The U.S. had a similar drought in the early-mid 2000s where the cream of the crop was DiPietro, Esche, and Grahame. USA Hockey has made more of an attempt to a create a "world" view with its development programs, and I think its paying off.
To me, it seems that Hockey Canada has become arrogant over the last few years and their management decisions have been questionable at best. It's a real shame because our depth at forward and defence is staggering, perhaps as good as it's ever been. Our elite goaltending list is short to non-existent. Problem is, internationally, in short tournaments, goaltending is by far the most important position.

At first, it seems inconceivable that Canada won't medal in Sochi, based on the sheer amount of young talent (Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Toews, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Letang), combined with experienced "veterans", who are still fairly young themselves (Nash, Staal, Getzlaf, Perry, M. Richards, Weber, Keith) but with the poor level of goaltending we've been getting recently on all levels, it's entirely plausible.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Price looks like the clear number 1 with Ward as the back up. You also have Smith and Holtby if they are as good as the look. You also have to think LA will one Bernier eventually and he will get his chance to prove himself.

2287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:04 AM
Hammer Time

Canada's going through a phase where we don't have a lot of world class goalies - I think we've just been spoilt by the Roy/Brodeur days. Russia hasn't had an elite goalie since the Soviet era, Sweden didn't have one in the 20 years between Lindbergh and Lundqvist, and until the last 10 years Finland was in the same situation.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Hammer Time

Quote:
We haven't gotten great (~.920-.930) consistent goaltending since the 2008 WJC. There is a cause for concern here.
Roberto Luongo 5-0, .927 (2010 Olympics)

He definitely could have played even better, but that's a very adequate performance when you're playing for Team Canada.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:58 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Roberto Luongo 5-0, .927 (2010 Olympics)

He definitely could have played even better, but that's a very adequate performance when you're playing for Team Canada.
Yeah, Luongo's performance was decent, but what I'm referring to is a goalie capable of stealing a game for us. Over the years, I've watched quite a few games where Canada loses, despite thoroughly outplaying, outchancing, and outshooting our opponents, saved only by spectacular displays of goaltending. Some examples include Martin Gerber for Switzerland in Canada's 2-0 loss in Torino and Ryan Miller for USA in Canada's 5-3 loss in Vancouver. Is it so much to ask that we have a poor outing (like our game against Team USA a couple days ago) and have a goalie steal a game for us? Just once?

Old
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Admittedly, I didn't watch the game, because part of me knew that we'd lose today, so I haven't seen the goals allowed, but one again, our goaltending has let us down in an elimination game. I'm not saying that Cam Ward was the only one at fault here, because from what I've heard, the whole team played like **** (surprise surprise). But again, here are the stats:

Cam Ward: 4 GA on 28 SOG = .857

While our opponent:

Jan Laco: 3 GA on 36 SOG = .917

I'm so sick of looking at Canadian goaltenders in these tournaments and seeing a save percentage starting with an 8. It's getting embarrassingly bad.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Admittedly, I didn't watch the game, because part of me knew that we'd lose today, so I haven't seen the goals allowed, but one again, our goaltending has let us down in an elimination game. I'm not saying that Cam Ward was the only one at fault here, because from what I've heard, the whole team played like **** (surprise surprise). But again, here are the stats:

Cam Ward: 4 GA on 28 SOG = .857

While our opponent:

Jan Laco: 3 GA on 36 SOG = .917

I'm so sick of looking at Canadian goaltenders in these tournaments and seeing a save percentage starting with an 8. It's getting embarrassingly bad.
Disagree with your assessment of Luongo. You first say we haven't gotten great goaltending for a long time and then reference the .920-.930 save percentage range, then when someone mentions Luongo had a .927SVP at the Olympics you go on to reference the games Brodeur lost for us.

Anyways, I've never had faith in Cam Ward and tonight, despite what his biggest fans will tell you, he let us down. We needed the big save from him and instead he was outplayed by Jan Laco. Ward should definitely NOT be on the Olympic team.

05-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Jocke

When Lundqvist is out, we're in pretty big trouble too :/

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote