HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-05-2012, 03:49 PM
RBR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
This is wrong. No movement clause = can't be sent down to AHL or traded.
Gomez doesn't have a NMC anyways

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Zorba

vCash: 500
Gomez has a LTC not NMC. he can be put in the minors at any time. I remember last December when his agent said it would be a mistake for the Habs to demote Gomez to the minors. Obviously that means they can BURY HIS ASS. I sincerely hope this is the route Molson takes. Gomez has had enough chances, a new GM doesnt need to have Gomez on the cap for 4 more years

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

Bergevin is obliged to get rid of Gomez in one way or another.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Send him to Sweden.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:14 PM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Send him to Sweden.
Sure, we could use him in the Swedish third division!

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Why would an american - who is a top UFA in this year's off season - ever pick the one team where he'll pay higher taxes, suffer through long and cold winters, get the most pressure from fans/medias and all that for the privilege of playing for the 27th ranked team the season before ? I don't see too many compelling reasons to do that if given the choice between say Detroit and Montreal.
For all we know he might love Montreal?

Who the hell knows what he wants..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Gomez doesn't have a NMC anyways
I'm aware of that.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Send him to Sweden.
What did Sweden ever do to you?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'll say it again.

Re-entry>>>>>>Buy out.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'll say it again.

Re-entry>>>>>>Buy out.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

I also don't think it's a stretch at all to think a team would claim him. Paying him 2.75 and 2.25 for the next 2 seasons considering the free agent market this offseason wouldn't be a bad thing at all for that team.

In a new situation and without the burden of being such a cap killer he might just play really well too.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Looks like buyouts will be a central issue for the new CBA, as owners are looking to get more wiggle room when it comes to underperforming players, it's a good thing camp waivers last till almost the end of september, as the CBA expires on the 15th of that month.

Unless it's already been decided they'll cut him out in the june 15th to 30th buyout period, expect Bergevin to stand pat concerning Gomez, till the CBA expires, unless of course, he can manage to trade him at a low cost.

If the plan is to send him to the AHL, logic would have one wait till the 11th hour of the official season roster before waiving him.

But hey, its miracleman Bergevin (I like him, just jabbin the media), who knows, he might just convince Gomez to go play in the KHL.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:04 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

I also don't think it's a stretch at all to think a team would claim him. Paying him 2.75 and 2.25 for the next 2 seasons considering the free agent market this offseason wouldn't be a bad thing at all for that team.

In a new situation and without the burden of being such a cap killer he might just play really well too.
That remains highly hypothetic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the waivers are active during the off season.
Buying him out enables the team to use the money this summer (via free agency or a trade bringing more salary back). Remember it's not the GM's team. Bergevin will need that flexibility if he sees an opportunity to improve.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Looks like buyouts will be a central issue for the new CBA, as owners are looking to get more wiggle room when it comes to underperforming players, it's a good thing camp waivers last till almost the end of september, as the CBA expires on the 15th of that month.

Unless it's already been decided they'll cut him out in the june 15th to 30th buyout period, expect Bergevin to stand pat concerning Gomez, till the CBA expires, unless of course, he can manage to trade him at a low cost.

If the plan is to send him to the AHL, logic would have one wait till the 11th hour of the official season roster before waiving him.

But hey, its miracleman Bergevin (I like him, just jabbin the media), who knows, he might just convince Gomez to go play in the KHL.
A true miracleman would be to trade him for an upcoming young star but that never happens...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
That remains highly hypothetic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the waivers are active during the off season.
Buying him out enables the team to use the money this summer (via free agency or a trade bringing more salary back). Remember it's not the GM's team. Bergevin will need that flexibility if he sees an opportunity to improve.
Can't you surpass salary cap by 10% or so during off season?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A true miracleman would be to trade him for an upcoming young star but that never happens...
To do that, one would at least need the Gomez of three years ago when he was PPG in his last 50 playoff games (16 in 17 on his new contract, 14 in 11 the year before he signed his contract), because that's the player you're refering to.

You should read about how behavior modification/adaption cannot be understood outside the context of environment. Given the right set of circumstances, I'm willing to bet he could go back to 60, 70 points or even more, and that doesn't necessarily mean adding talent to his side (although a bonafide #1 D helps a lot in Gomez' case). Just the right set of environmental factors of a wide variety (GM, coaches, teamates, wife, family, friends, *personal drama*, media, ect).

There is a clearcut discrepancy between his days in Montreal and the rest of his career, but it's easier for you to just try and compare the Gomez of today, then the one who actually got traded here.

You know, instead of continuously whine about that trade or refering to it, you should write your grievings to the Habs, or even better yet, to Gainey himself, this might make the recovery process a whole lot quicker. You really seem to have a big 'crotte sur le coeur' about that one. Write him. You'll feel better.

Peace.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
To do that, one would at least need the Gomez of three years ago when he was PPG in his last 50 playoff games (16 in 17 on his new contract, 14 in 11 the year before he signed his contract), because that's the player you're refering to.

You should read about how behavior modification/adaption cannot be understood outside the context of environment. Given the right set of circumstances, I'm willing to bet he could go back to 60, 70 points or even more, and that doesn't necessarily mean adding talent to his side (although a bonafide #1 D helps a lot in Gomez' case). Just the right set of environmental factors of a wide variety (GM, coaches, teamates, wife, family, friends, *personal drama*, media, ect).

There is a clearcut discrepancy between his days in Montreal and the rest of his career, but it's easier for you to just try and compare the Gomez of today, then the one who actually got traded here.

You know, instead of continuously whine about that trade or refering to it, you should write your grievings to the Habs, or even better yet, to Gainey himself, this might make the recovery process a whole lot quicker. You really seem to have a big 'crotte sur le coeur' about that one. Write him. You'll feel better.

Peace.
See, the thing is that most people hated the deal WHEN it happened. Not based on the Gomez of today. 'Cause if it was, Gainey would have been fired the day after. Most Rangers fans, as much as Gomez was such a great player, were happy to see him leave. Those guys are actually the ones who saw him day in and day out. Not the fans who sees a statesheet and believe it's the reality.

And it is pretty tough to get over it when you see the guy we traded doing great day in day out.

As far as the whining is concerned, some whine about management. Others whine about HF posters. To each their own I guess. But personnally, I don't mind either. This is a board and one of its purpose is to vent. Peace indeed.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'll say it again.

Re-entry>>>>>>Buy out.
I think you got to keep him , he is only making 5 million this year.

GONE IS THE GUY , who gave him Darche/Poulliot as a line mate and all down hill from there!!!

Went from Jagr as a line mate to POULLIOT/Darche??? LMAO i would be depressed too./

New coach, new GM , go out and find someone REAL to play with him .....

Dumb and dumber couldn't figure it out .

WITH a new coach who is actually a good coach NOT A BINGO LINE CAller like Martin! , if Gomez still can't produce, i say ok down ya go ...

P.S - If you listened to GILL ,it was evident the players wanted Martin gone , and the players were hoping for change,but when Randy came and was same as Martin ,the team sunk "demoralized "

I wanna see Gomez under a new coach who will find him veteran NHL "top 6 line mates "and leave them together , like DD Cole Pac...

Last edited by Habaneros: 05-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See, the thing is that most people hated the deal WHEN it happened. Not based on the Gomez of today. 'Cause if it was, Gainey would have been fired the day after. Most Rangers fans, as much as Gomez was such a great player, were happy to see him leave. Those guys are actually the ones who saw him day in and day out. Not the fans who sees a statesheet and believe it's the reality.

And it is pretty tough to get over it when you see the guy we traded doing great day in day out.

As far as the whining is concerned, some whine about management. Others whine about HF posters. To each their own I guess. But personnally, I don't mind either. This is a board and one of its purpose is to vent. Peace indeed.
Not true. I was there, and it was pretty even sided. I could see the pragmatic rationale, given that I wouldn't have a clue on what they would be able to get on the market (the running rate was what, now that we know? Plekanec, Gorges, Subban and a 1st for Lecavalier?).

I remember I was hoping McD would bounce back because reports weren't very positive, contrarily to the other young player we had at that time, which a truly bad GM would've traded away instead (sure glad that didn't happen).

I remember some complaining about McD that day.

I also remember people saying they were pissed because of the Tank who was gone too, some even more about him than McD. I remember others complaining it was Higgins who would probably bounce back with another team like Ryder had done.

I remember a lot of people were in a wait and see mode.

I also remember a jersey fan coming around here and saying he was curious what Gomez would do with a player like Markov, the kind of D support Gomez hadn't had since Rafalski (when he got those 14 points in 11 playoff games before signing his contract). He ended-up being right on the money.

I remember a lot of people complaining about the size of the team, about the height of the overall trades and signings (and Gomez wasn't the shortest on the list, by far).

I remember some fans were happy, seeing a potential for strong two-way play.

What you remember is a tainted version of reality to fit your perception. I dare you to look at 40+(50? 100?) pages and seriously tell me that the pulse was most people were complaining about the Gomez trade.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

P.S

the Habs need to go get a SKILLED big body with good NHL hands(20 -30 goal scorer), to play on Gomez line , i always said that.It open's up a lot more space for him to work .Playin 4th liners on top 2 lines was DUMB ....

I think Berg can see that,I think he can see Gomez was being put in a situation to fail ....
Gomez and Martin i don't think was on same page for good reason .......I mean if i came over to play with Poulliot /Darche on top 2 lines, i'd be thinking bad thoughts toward coach ..

Heck the first 10 games with Cole it was rocky...Martin had him playin with 4th liners!!!
Cole even was wondering what was up .

Heck Martin endorsed Darche over COLE on PP to the media!!

As i said the slate is wiped clean, let's see Gomez now .

Last edited by Habaneros: 05-05-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:13 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Sportsnet's Louis Jean was just on FAN 590's Brady and Lang show and mentioned he just learned that Gomez's contract would be bought out. He said this decision was made by Molson before Bergevin takes on the GM job. Very curious given that we don't know if there may be an opportunity for an amnesty buy-out in the upcoming CBA that wouldn't go against our cap.
Bottom line: Habs are a class organization and they treat players well.

You don't dump someone right away. You give vets a chance.

Now: I think every single player in the NHL knows Habs gave Gomez every chance, for a long time.

Therefore this is the only case I've ever seen where Habs can dump a vet in the minors. Not one person involved in the NHL would blame them.

Get it done.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:41 AM
onice

Why don't we play the what if game.

Bergevin tries to sign a couple of UFAs but they all reply with, "We love you, Markie, especially the way you cry at the drop of a hat but Montreal ain't for me or my wife who doesn't know the French words for Thank you and hello. And doesn't wanna bother her pretty head trying to learn them. She's American, you know. "

So Bergevin is left with the same team in August 30, 2012 that he had May 3, 2012. He thinks outside the box (he actually throws the box away. Gauthier who was using that box got it all dirty with his greasy hair) and then goes to talk to his head coach, Robert Fork Tongue Lecroix, last name rhymes with oy as in oy vey. He got his nickname not from his girlfriends but because he literally has two tongues thus filling one of Bergevin's coaching requirements bi-lingualism. They decide to increase Gomez's value. They keep him on the team.

By Xmas Gomez becomes a point a game player - I know, I know, bear with me I'm writing sci-fi fantasy here. By the trade deadline Bergevin trades Gomez for two blue chip prospects that become a perenial 40 goal scorer and a hard nose gritty stay at home d-man.

So who gets credit for the change in Gomez? Bergevin & Robert Fork Tongue Lecroix, pronounced Lecroye? Gainey? Gauthier? Surely those two should get some credit.

Last edited by onice: 05-06-2012 at 08:56 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:58 AM
MrNasty

As much as we all hate the Gomez trade now and what Gainey did when he traded for him and signed Gionta and Cammelleri all in those 2 days....they were part of a fomula that got us to the final 4 and to game 7 OT against the Bruins. We know Halak was the big reason for that first playoff drive but this trio was very clutch offensively in the playoffs. Nobody else on the team had more playoff points than Cammy (29) Gionta (20) and Gomez (18). Believe it or not they were very few players who did as well in the playoffs on this team over the last 19 years.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

GONE IS THE GUY , who gave him Darche/Poulliot as a line mate and all down hill from there!!!

Went from Jagr as a line mate to POULLIOT/Darche??? LMAO i would be depressed too./

WITH a new coach who is actually a good coach NOT A BINGO LINE CAller like Martin! , if Gomez still can't produce, i say ok down ya go ...

P.S - If you listened to GILL ,it was evident the players wanted Martin gone , and the players were hoping for change,but when Randy came and was same as Martin ,the team sunk "demoralized "

I wanna see Gomez under a new coach who will find him veteran NHL "top 6 line mates "and leave them together , like DD Cole Pac...
There is no way that you have been completely oblivious to the numerous top 6 wingers that have died flanking Gomez the past 3 seasons. Martin gave Gomez waaayyy too many chances. It's one of the reasons we hate him, remember?

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Gomez also played with Kostitsyn (a lot. it was a nightmare), Pacioretty (Pacioretty produced. Gomez not so much), Gionta (ALL THE TIME. poor Gionta), Cammalleri (to a lesser extent)... Of our wingers only Cole did not play extensively with Gomez.

To blame his lack of production on bad linemates is revisionist history at best. He had plenty of chances and finally got Darche as a linemate when it finally became clear to our coaches he was hopeless. They were very patient with him.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Maliki2

Quote:

Umm Patches contradicts what you say about Randy.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote