HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Discussion Thread IX: Kings win in 6!

Old
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Playoff Discussion Thread IX: Kings win in 6!

People wonder why I despise the Preds?

How many times in the 3rd do you see Nashville, and particularly Hornqvist trying to scrum the puck in. W T F? Is this rugby?

How Hornqvist doesn't get a penalty for bowling over Smith one more time with a few minutes left is anybodies guess.

lol at Nashville fans wondering why the goal is called off. Well jebus you couldn't beat Smith so you just scrum him into the net. Yeah that should count..

nashville clowns

Hopefully Phoenix closes this out.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Jesus

So it turns out that one does not need to stock up on 1st overalls to compete for the cup?

Seriously, as an Oilers fan it is disconcerting to watch Phoenix being 1 game away from the WCF. The Coyotes are a broke team barely scraping by with a substantial amount of players that, quite literally, no other team wanted and yet here they are about to knock out a supposed SC favorite. It is a bit bewildering really.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:24 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
So it turns out that one does not need to stock up on 1st overalls to compete for the cup?

Seriously, as an Oilers fan it is disconcerting to watch Phoenix being 1 game away from the WCF. The Coyotes are a broke team barely scraping by with a substantial amount of players that, quite literally, no other team wanted and yet here they are about to knock out a supposed SC favorite. It is a bit bewildering really.

Sorry but Nashville is no stanley cup favorite.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Qrispy

Phoenix is a crap team but they're riding a hot goaltender. It's kinda ******** but that's the way she goes, I guess...

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
oilersfan11

Phoenix will probably be put out by LA in the 3rd round.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Phoenix will probably be put out by LA in the 3rd round.
Dear god please. I can't imagine having them in the SCF...

Pouliot and Brule playing in SCF games.....

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Bitterness is starting to bubble up in my mind with regards to the Kings as well.

Oh well, if that franchise finally wins the Stanley Cup maybe they can start cultivating their own history instead of sponging off ex-Oilers superstars and the modest success those players had in the early 90's with the Kings.

Maybe a Jonathan Quick statue could replace the Gretzky one.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:05 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sit your two best offensive players and lose 1-0. Good plan.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:20 AM
OilerOlli*

Why is everybody cheering for LA? Don't we have their 3d rounder?
Do you guys think it doesn't matter if they pick the next Cam Abney at 76 or 88 or what is it?

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Sit your two best offensive players and lose 1-0. Good plan.
Or play them and lose 3-1. Radulov was the worst player on the ice in the last game he played. Kostitsyn not much better. I believe they were both -3.

You can't just look at GF in the consideration. Nashville is losing this series due to going behind in 3 of the 4 games. Of flinching first in an epic defensive battle.

Nashville is losing this series because of losing countless little battles and Phoenix wanting it more. Much more. Case in point in the third period Nashville has yet another PP and Phoenix off of a faceoff gets the puck back, the D has no play but ring it around the boards, Nashville D stops it, but Coyotes quickly converge at the point and manage through furious effort to get the puck out. While shorthanded they outnumbered the Preds in a critical area of ice. One team just anticipating better and being way sharper.

Radulov and Kostitsyn don't even care what happens. I don't know that putting them out increases any attention to detail.

I think the Preds read too many press clippings or something. A hard work team suddenly thinks they don't need to work as hard.

Old
05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Phoenix is a crap team but they're riding a hot goaltender. It's kinda ******** but that's the way she goes, I guess...
Yeah, they are riding a hot goalie but they are a big team with enough grinders to win in the playoffs, not to mention having 6 D men that can play upwards to 20 mins a game if need be.

PepsiFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabros1978 View Post
Do you guys think it doesn't matter if they pick the next Cam Abney at 76 or 88 or what is it?
They took out Vancouver and we already got Klefbom and to a lesser extent Teubert out of the deal. Yeah a higher 3rd round pick would be nice, but seeing Vancouver bounced in 5 games in the 1st round was nicer.

05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli* View Post
Wow how many duplicate account will OilerOlli make?

Caps tied up their series with the Rags. They needed this game and I'm glad they got it.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
They took out Vancouver and we already got Klefbom and to a lesser extent Teubert out of the deal. Yeah a higher 3rd round pick would be nice, but seeing Vancouver bounced in 5 games in the 1st round was nicer.
With all due respect a lot of revisionist history has occurred since the trade. When the trade was made it was Teubert that was considered the big addition and people generally didn't think we would bag all that much out of a 19th pick and just looking at what kind of player gets selected later in first rounds it wasn't a great chance.

Now we got lucky and got Klefbom kinda late. The whole stock and value in this trade has reversed. Now Klefbom is clearly considered by everybody to be the better prospect.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
oilersfan11

So happy to see Washington won today.

Washington wins the 2012 stanley cup is what I want.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Do you really want Torres and Pouliot to get their names on the Cup? Pouliot of all people.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Phoenix gets way too many fortuitous calls.

It makes me wonder.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
People wonder why I despise the Preds?

How many times in the 3rd do you see Nashville, and particularly Hornqvist trying to scrum the puck in. W T F? Is this rugby?

How Hornqvist doesn't get a penalty for bowling over Smith one more time with a few minutes left is anybodies guess.

lol at Nashville fans wondering why the goal is called off. Well jebus you couldn't beat Smith so you just scrum him into the net. Yeah that should count..

nashville clowns

I really hate to be an internet geek and use this term, I normally swear to myself I shall refrain from using this word since I hate it so much... but that is some "troll" **** right there if there ever was some. I mean I would like to say bluntly, that it's just a dumb comment, but I shall refrain and it's clear you view the game differently than many people here... I don't know if it's just for the sake of going against the grain or what, but you have your beliefs and that's okay...

to say that trying to scrum a puck in is "w t f" worthy, and to scoff/laugh at their fans for booing disallowed goals is absolutely laughable.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Do you really want Torres and Pouliot to get their names on the Cup? Pouliot of all people.
I can't see them getting past L.A. The teams Phoenix played had flaws Chicago it was goaltending, and suspect defence "at" times.

Nashville can't score, sometimes there a dump and chase team other times carrying it in... which is it. Rinne hasn't been completely sharp and the powerplay nothing to write home about.

L.A. has solid goaltending (Vezina Candidate), Depth at each line with 3 great centers (match up against Phoenix's centerman, and scoring from the D if Doughty keeps things going). Also don't forget experience with winning the cup and/or going to the finals. You have Richards, Carter, Stoll being in the finals, and you have Scuderi, and Penner winning the cup.

As for Torres he's a guy you love if he is on your team. In a backwards kind of way I hate Brule (not really; health concerns) because he's the guy we traded for and he didn't do anything here. Pouliot obvious for not drafting Parise, however I guess you could say they had there health concerns. Pouliot I hate more because Brule actually was going out there hard when he came back from health issues. Pouliot has absolutely no hockey sense at all, but you have to hate management for that one.

Last edited by BlowbyBlow: 05-05-2012 at 07:20 PM.
BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Rawg
CEM

PHO is gtting VCs treatment last year on the way to the final, easy teams, Chicago has been a shadow of itself since the cup, their D and goaltenders are dreadful, we should know. Nashville has scoring issues and if rinne isnt brilliant they lose, didnt we beat nash 3 times this year? same with the hawks.. yet lost all 4 to PHO..

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
With all due respect a lot of revisionist history has occurred since the trade. When the trade was made it was Teubert that was considered the big addition and people generally didn't think we would bag all that much out of a 19th pick and just looking at what kind of player gets selected later in first rounds it wasn't a great chance.

Now we got lucky and got Klefbom kinda late. The whole stock and value in this trade has reversed. Now Klefbom is clearly considered by everybody to be the better prospect.
There were lots of good players available at #19, but I definitely agree that Klefbom > Teubert in terms of upside.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I really hate to be an internet geek and use this term, I normally swear to myself I shall refrain from using this word since I hate it so much... but that is some "troll" **** right there if there ever was some. I mean I would like to say bluntly, that it's just a dumb comment, but I shall refrain and it's clear you view the game differently than many people here... I don't know if it's just for the sake of going against the grain or what, but you have your beliefs and that's okay...

to say that trying to scrum a puck in is "w t f" worthy, and to scoff/laugh at their fans for booing disallowed goals is absolutely laughable.
Scruming a puck in the net is the typical mode of the Calgary Flames precap.

Its bs no matter what team is doing it and a tactic I deplore.

A basic perversion of the game and attempt to take it over with talentless tactics.

Again this isn't rugby. Hornqvist is a hack.

If you can't beat a goalie legitimately don't try to score by pushing the goalie in the net.

Hey I was born and raised on the talent side of the hockey equation. I've always regarded cheap tactics like scruming a puck in as a bane on the game. Something teams like the Flames do.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-06-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old
05-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
LA is going to win the cup.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:57 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Los Angeles Kings, benefiting at the Oilers expense since 1988.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
LA is going to win the cup.
I told people at work regarding our pool that if LA beats Vancouver, they immediately become my dark horse to win the SC.

The longer they play, the better they look. If they meet Phoenix in the Western final, it'll be LA in 5 or 6 games IMO.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote