HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Col/wash Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 11:25 AM
demitra382003

vCash: 500
Col/wash Proposal

I know its been tossed around a few times, but don't remember if Gonchar was involved

To COL: Kolzig and Gonchar

To WASH: Tanguay, Aebisher, Skoula, Liles

Washington gets 2 young d-men, a decent young goalie, and a potential star in Tanguay

Colorado gets the game's best offensive d-man to put with an already great D in Blake, Foote, and Morris and get a veteran starter who's been to the finals

Add a pick/prospect either way to balance it out, but any thoughts?

Old
11-23-2003, 11:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitra382003
I know its been tossed around a few times, but don't remember if Gonchar was involved

Washington gets 2 young d-men, a decent young goalie, and a potential star in Tanguay

Colorado gets the game's best offensive d-man to put with an already great D in Blake, Foote, and Morris and get a veteran starter who's been to the finals

That trade is not going to happen. too many players and too much money involved. I don't see Colorado trading Tanguay anyway.

Old
11-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

Kolzig and Gonchar?

Better start with Morris.

Old
11-23-2003, 01:44 PM
regehr

[QUOTE=demitra382003]To COL: Kolzig and Gonchar
QUOTE]

I doubt COL does anything like this until later in the year - why pay the big salaries the whole year when you really only need them for the playoffs?

I agree with others that it seems to big a deal to be realistic, but who knows? Let's break it down like this:

Kolzig for Aebischer and Skoula.
Gonchar for Tanguay and Liles.

I'm not sure that Kolzig+Gonchar necessarily means Morris going the way, as others have suggested. Morris makes $3.5mil and will need a new deal in a couple years, so the Caps probably couldn't afford him (even with losing Gonchar/Kolzig's salary). On the other hand, I'm not sure how big the Caps would be on Skoula or Liles. Caps are really looking for a big, nasty young D-man (like a Barret Jackman-type). Honestly, the first priority for the Caps is to move Jagr, if possible. Kolzig is a good possibility to go. Bondra as well. I think they will try to hang on to Gonchar if they can shed those other salaries.

Old
11-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Goulet17

[QUOTE=regehr]
Quote:
QUOTE]

I doubt COL does anything like this until later in the year - why pay the big salaries the whole year when you really only need them for the playoffs?

I agree with others that it seems to big a deal to be realistic, but who knows? Let's break it down like this:

Kolzig for Aebischer and Skoula.
Gonchar for Tanguay and Liles.

I'm not sure that Kolzig+Gonchar necessarily means Morris going the way, as others have suggested. Morris makes $3.5mil and will need a new deal in a couple years, so the Caps probably couldn't afford him (even with losing Gonchar/Kolzig's salary). On the other hand, I'm not sure how big the Caps would be on Skoula or Liles. Caps are really looking for a big, nasty young D-man (like a Barret Jackman-type). Honestly, the first priority for the Caps is to move Jagr, if possible. Kolzig is a good possibility to go. Bondra as well. I think they will try to hang on to Gonchar if they can shed those other salaries.
I have to agree, Gonchar is the least likely player for the Capitals to trade. He is reasonably priced and at age 29 could be playing in his prime for several more seasons. With a team struggling to ice a full complement of NHL defensemen, it doesn't seem like a good bet to trade Gonchar.

That being said, in today's NHL economic climate, Jagr and his long term contract are virtually impossible to move in a trade. The Capitals may be stuck with him.

Bondra and Kolzig, two high priced aging veterans seem like the best bets for trades. The Capitals would rid themselves of high priced contracts and get younger assets. The problem is that Leonsis doesn't look like he wants to make the hard choice to trade popular players like Bondra or Kolzig.

I think the Capitals are in dissaray, Leonsis claims he wants to operate under a budget, yet does nothing this summer in terms of ridding himself of expensive contracts. Additionally, the Capitals are beyond struggling at this point of the season, and we've yet to see any kind of shake up whatsover, from coaching or management changes, to major trades.

The organization seems to be suffering from a clear plan or decision making. It would not surprise me if the Capitals continue their disastrous season, miss the playoffs, yet fail to make any major trades. Then in the offseason they will simply try to let players go like Kolzig by not exercising the team option.

Old
11-23-2003, 02:21 PM
McCabe24

No offense to Caps fans, but as terrible as the defence looks now (minus Gonchar and Witt of course), it would easily be the worst defence in the NHL if they dealt Gonchar for Skoula.

Skoula is too risky a return I think, becuase right now he's kinda on the bubble, have up and down years...

Old
11-23-2003, 02:32 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe24
No offense to Caps fans, but as terrible as the defence looks now (minus Gonchar and Witt of course), it would easily be the worst defence in the NHL if they dealt Gonchar for Skoula.

Skoula is too risky a return I think, becuase right now he's kinda on the bubble, have up and down years...
Worse than Pittsburgh's defense with its rookie #1 defender? Holy hell!

Old
11-23-2003, 02:33 PM
avfan#21

I doubt the Avs have the stuff to get Gonchar without giving up something good. Konowalchuk was theft enough for one season. It's like he's been recharged or something.

Old
11-23-2003, 03:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
Bondra and Kolzig, two high priced aging veterans seem like the best bets for trades. The Capitals would rid themselves of high priced contracts and get younger assets. The problem is that Leonsis doesn't look like he wants to make the hard choice to trade popular players like Bondra or Kolzig.

I think the Capitals are in dissaray, Leonsis claims he wants to operate under a budget, yet does nothing this summer in terms of ridding himself of expensive contracts. Additionally, the Capitals are beyond struggling at this point of the season, and we've yet to see any kind of shake up whatsover, from coaching or management changes, to major trades.

The organization seems to be suffering from a clear plan or decision making. It would not surprise me if the Capitals continue their disastrous season, miss the playoffs, yet fail to make any major trades. Then in the offseason they will simply try to let players go like Kolzig by not exercising the team option.
let me make a couple of points.
1. 33 is not "aging" in today's NHL. Particularly in the goalie catagory.
Cup quality goaltending from players 37-38 years old is par for the course now days. Bondra at 36 could be around til he is 40, but could be done any day. The same can not be said for a 33 year old and fully healthy Kolzig.
2. Its easy to say that the Capitals made no moves in the offseason to slash payroll. They didn't. But its not easy to be correct when saying that they didn't make any moves to slash payroll because they were unwilling to. Trades of NHL players have been very few since the end of last season. There are many players with contracts between Bondra's $4.5m and Jagr's $11m on the trade block and none have moved. It takes two to trade and as you have mentioned, everyone knows the Caps tried hard to move Jagr and it didn't happen because it takes two to trade. When Lindros, Weight, Turgeon, Curtis Joseph and others get moved and Jagr & Lang remain in Washington, we can talk.
3. The Caps will buy Jagr out after this season if they can not trade him. If they can't trade him they will wait thru the labor situation, because they won't have to pay him thru that. when the cba is signed Jagr will be bought out.

Closed Thread