HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Canada (Part II)

Old
05-05-2012, 08:44 PM
M A K A V E L I*

vCash: 500
http://www.fortnucks.com/post/22464238967/burrblog2

"Iím feeling good today, no real concussion symptoms, so Iíll keep following the NHL protocol for these kind of injuries and if things stay the same, I hope to get back out there soon."

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
Agreed. Phaneuf hasn't exactly had an all-star performance, but he's be no worse than anyone else on the team. Schenn on the other hand... This kid is a write off.
Campbell, Beauchemin, Andrew MacDonald/Hamonic, Hamhuis/Bieksa, Brodie, Gorges, Saley, Stuart, Boychuk, Phillips, Cowen, Ference, Allen, Weaver, Wilson, Demers, McNabb (if you're going for a young player then why not take McNabb over Murray)....I know some of them like Myers or Giordano were recovering from injuries but for these type:

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:15 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Very good of Spezza to volunteer to play for HC. I thought this was after the roster was set though so why are we making it like HC purposely spurned him?

Team Canada needs to get their act together. Best team on paper, worst team on ice.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Valois

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Campbell, Beauchemin, Andrew MacDonald/Hamonic, Hamhuis/Bieksa, Brodie, Gorges, Saley, Stuart, Boychuk, Phillips, Cowen, Ference, Allen, Weaver, Wilson, Demers, McNabb (if you're going for a young player then why not take McNabb over Murray)...[/IMG]
Thanks for this, I was forgetting who all was Canadian. Would have loved Gorges - good speed, great shot blocker, smart player, and has an okay shot when he uses it.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Campbell, Beauchemin, Andrew MacDonald/Hamonic, Hamhuis/Bieksa, Brodie, Gorges, Saley, Stuart, Boychuk, Phillips, Cowen, Ference, Allen, Weaver, Wilson, Demers, McNabb (if you're going for a young player then why not take McNabb over Murray)....I know some of them like Myers or Giordano were recovering from injuries but for these type:

Not sure about the others, but Hamhuis declined to spend time with his wife and baby and Bieksa was playing hurt during the playoffs.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketful View Post
Very good of Spezza to volunteer to play for HC. I thought this was after the roster was set though so why are we making it like HC purposely spurned him?

Team Canada needs to get their act together. Best team on paper, worst team on ice.
Not sure when the roster was set, but they had and still do have two spots empty, and Spezza was essentially available after Ottawa lost on April 26th. Murray was added on the 5th of May. So the roster wasn't set then.

I guess the only reason why I'm questioning it, is due to my view that the team is poorly constructed.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
espo*

I'm going to have to eat crow here.

But let me remind you........................I don't eat crow often

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Beauchemin needed shoulder surgery, otherwise him over Schenn seems like a no-brainer, seeing as how he's pretty much a better version of Schenn in just about every way; and he's just one possibility.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 01:57 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
LOL Kyle Quincey (Wings fan)

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Pepper

Apprently Perry, Getzlaf, Ward etc. were hanging out in a bar at 3am this morning. Benched for the next 2 games?

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:58 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Apprently Perry, Getzlaf, Ward etc. were hanging out in a bar at 3am this morning. Benched for the next 2 games?
According to the Finnish media, yes: Getzlaf and Perry spotted in a trendy Helsinki club/bar till closing time (crazy pint prizes, but I guess they can afford it). I have not seen a confirmation, but it sounds pretty credible though. Not altogether promising, if true.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:35 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Those ****ing lazy Russians. Send them back to the KHL.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:51 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Based on their performance yesterday, it's pretty clear that the players don't take this tournament seriously. So the drinking all night thing isn't all that surprising.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Kuhta

This is why I do not like Canada in international hockey. You claim that there is always some kind of sub-game of motivation going for Canada as an addition to the actual tournament. Then, when you lose it has been because nobody cares. Well, apparently Getzlaf doesn't. Not even because of clubbing but due to his performance in the USA game. I hope that Canada gets eliminated in international tournaments as soon as possible, now and in the future.

Kuhta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Metalcommand

http://static.iltalehti.fi/mmjaakiek...ttu64mp_j0.jpg

Apparently it's Perry and Getzlaf on the counter and Ward getting to know the blonde

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:18 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post

Apparently it's Perry and Getzlaf on the counter and Ward getting to know the blonde
Oh, I hate those centre places, Circus was it?

Anyway, I love to see Canada in the WHC - and they have been very professional for many years now, always a serious contender. I don't know what throwback this is, but hopefully they'll get back to business in Helsinki (and if you have to go to bars, go to Kallio).

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Ruggero Rossi De Mio

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's Ryan O'Reilly talking to the blonde.

Ruggero Rossi De Mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:24 AM
failedsaucerpass

vCash: 160
Quote:

Seems more like O'Reilly to me.

failedsaucerpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhta View Post
This is why I do not like Canada in international hockey. You claim that there is always some kind of sub-game of motivation going for Canada as an addition to the actual tournament. Then, when you lose it has been because nobody cares. Well, apparently Getzlaf doesn't. Not even because of clubbing but due to his performance in the USA game. I hope that Canada gets eliminated in international tournaments as soon as possible, now and in the future.
Wow, you win your second Worlds since 1939 (and zero Olympic Golds) and you're top dog huh?

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:43 AM
agent082

Getzlaf must be one of the worst captain ever in Anaheim and NT. Why they can't let him play without C.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
nucks88

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhta View Post
Geez for a country that can't sell out a rink for their supposed favourite tournament you figure the addition of Canadian fans and money would be welcome. Good to know. I guess we can't judge your country by classy people like Selanne!

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:57 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

It is going from bad to Worse:

TSN:
Defenceman Marc-Edouard Vlasic suffered a leg injury in Saturday's loss to the United States and will not be able to return to action.

MyNameIsNobody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:02 AM
roto

Geez for all people who judge a country by what some individuals do or say.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:03 AM
JackSlater

I don't find the partying a big deal. These guys aren't going to be all broken up about losing a prelim game, not in this tournament. It's just not a huge deal to them. I am quite sure that part of the reason that guys go is to play hockey, and part is to have fun with some buddies.

A bigger deal- Vlasic being out for the tournament with a leg injury. I found that he was doing pretty well thus far. This defence is going to shambles.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:06 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
It is going from bad to Worse:

TSN:
Defenceman Marc-Edouard Vlasic suffered a leg injury in Saturday's loss to the United States and will not be able to return to action.
Crap, our defence was already pretty shaky. This news does not bode well for Canada.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote