HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Offseason Discussion Part III (Contract/FA chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2012, 09:58 PM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
It's not a sin, but at the same time it's not what is going to win us the Cup. If Shero is going to make huge moves this summer, and I doubt he will so this is all conjecture, he NEEDS to get Suter or Weber. This team's offense is top-notch. It's the defense that needs help.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.750m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Josh Harding ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,066,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $933,333

Jettison Martin for cap reasons.

Trade Staal and a 2nd to ANA for Ryan.

Sign Suter, Harding, and Stoll.

Promote Tangradi to Malkin's wing full time. No turning back, time to see what we have in this kid.

There. Now the defense is stacked, and Sid and Geno both have wingers. Everyone's happy in McGuirk's Fantasy Land!
You were pretty close. Putting Dupuis on the 4th line and Tangradi in the Top 6...say what!?

Dupuis-Crosby-Ryan
Kunitz-Malkin-Malkin
Cooke-Stoll-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams/Jeffery

Old
05-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
It's not a sin, but at the same time it's not what is going to win us the Cup. If Shero is going to make huge moves this summer, and I doubt he will so this is all conjecture, he NEEDS to get Suter or Weber. This team's offense is top-notch. It's the defense that needs help.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.750m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Josh Harding ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,066,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $933,333

Jettison Martin for cap reasons.

Trade Staal and a 2nd to ANA for Ryan.

Sign Suter, Harding, and Stoll.

Promote Tangradi to Malkin's wing full time. No turning back, time to see what we have in this kid.

There. Now the defense is stacked, and Sid and Geno both have wingers. Everyone's happy in McGuirk's Fantasy Land!
13th forward and 7th D-man?

Old
05-05-2012, 10:23 PM
justsayin*

What do yinz think about Gudbranson from Florida.

I like something around Staal and Strait for Gudbranson, Trocheck and Grimaldi.

I feel that Gudbranson can be the ideal big defenseman that the Pens need with their young defense core.

So a future on D of:

Letang - Despres
Gudbranson - Morrow
Niskanen - Engelland
Harrington - Bortuzzo

Old
05-05-2012, 11:44 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
What do yinz think about Gudbranson from Florida.

I like something around Staal and Strait for Gudbranson, Trocheck and Grimaldi.

I feel that Gudbranson can be the ideal big defenseman that the Pens need with their young defense core.

So a future on D of:

Letang - Despres
Gudbranson - Morrow
Niskanen - Engelland
Harrington - Bortuzzo
Gudbranson looks amazing and he's one of the few players I'd really want in a package for Staal, but Florida would have no interest in that deal. Remember: they have Nick Bjugstad, Drew Shore, J. Huberdeau, Quinten Howden and others around the corner. They are very strong at forward organizationally, and I can't see them trading Kulikov or Gudbranson under almost any circumstance.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:50 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Gudbranson looks amazing and he's one of the few players I'd really want in a package for Staal, but Florida would have no interest in that deal. Remember: they have Nick Bjugstad, Drew Shore, J. Huberdeau, Quinten Howden and others around the corner. They are very strong at forward organizationally, and I can't see them trading Kulikov or Gudbranson under almost any circumstance.
Would be great to make it happen. Gudbranson just looks like exactly what the Pens need. He looks like he could have a Shea Weber-like impact on a game.

Staal is better now than any of those players. And his ceiling is as high as Huberdeau.

Maybe I need to sell the deal to Tallon.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:58 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
You STILL don't get it.
No trust me I get it. You put a importance on a position that is isn't that big of a problem. You are trying to fix a leak in a dam that's busting open in the middle.

Old
05-06-2012, 12:10 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
They do have Petrovic coming in soon who is similar in style to Gubranson. I also thought I heard the Panthers were trying to trade Weiss.

Getting Staal allows them to plug Staal in on the first line, have Weiss on the 2nd line and bring Huberdeau along as 3C.

Weiss is an UFA next year and Huberdeau moves up to 2C and Bjugstad is groomed for 3C.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimos View Post
Kiprusoff is not an improvement over Fleury in this the twilight of his career. No thanks. Fleury's troubles the last few years can be entirely traced to a lack of faith in his defensemen to protect him. Fix the defense and you fix Fleury. Trading him is an overreaction.
Fleury could also use a new goaltender coach, get a new perspective on his technique. Having the same guy might be too comfortable for him and some of his mistakes aren't being corrected because it's the usual "hey you know what to do right?" type of thing and so he's become complacent.

I wouldn't deal MAF. I would bring in a new goaltending coach and consultant.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Whether not MAF needs a new goaltending coach, a better defense in front of him, or what--the fact remains that he's going to be a Penguin for at least the remainder of his contract. So, we need to find a way to fix his problems.

I vote for improving the D, adjusting our defensive zone coverage to better suit our personnel, and finding him a new, full-time goalie coach.

Old
05-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Whether not MAF needs a new goaltending coach, a better defense in front of him, or what--the fact remains that he's going to be a Penguin for at least the remainder of his contract. So, we need to find a way to fix his problems.

I vote for improving the D, adjusting our defensive zone coverage to better suit our personnel, and finding him a new, full-time goalie coach.
I agree. He's here for the rest of his deal. We just got to find a way to make it work. Your suggestions as to how are good.

The goalie coach probably needs to go, but it's tough for any coach with Fleury because he's such a headcase. He probably needs a psychiatrist more than a goalie coach. Same could probably be said for Staal. Both those guys get too high with the highs and too low with the lows. It's why they can look like the best players on the ice for a few games and then look like the worst players on the ice when a few things start going bad for them.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
You were pretty close. Putting Dupuis on the 4th line and Tangradi in the Top 6...say what!?

Dupuis-Crosby-Ryan
Kunitz-Malkin-Malkin
Cooke-Stoll-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams/Jeffery
As much as I'd love to clone Malkin, I don't think the league would allow it.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Would be great to make it happen. Gudbranson just looks like exactly what the Pens need. He looks like he could have a Shea Weber-like impact on a game.

Staal is better now than any of those players. And his ceiling is as high as Huberdeau.

Maybe I need to sell the deal to Tallon.
Gudbranson would be a huge get, but i agree it's not likely. But for the sake of argument, let's say that move happens. What would your next step be as GM? Obviously now we're missing a big piece of our offense and PK and the element that makes the third line truly dangerous, but we've now got quite the configuration of defensive talent on the NHL blueline, as well as some currently in the A pushing for a regular role. What other trades do you think would be realistic moving forward from that point to balance out the rest of the roster?

Old
05-06-2012, 07:11 AM
wej20

Don't trade for Ken Hitchcock goalies!

Old
05-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree. He's here for the rest of his deal. We just got to find a way to make it work. Your suggestions as to how are good.

The goalie coach probably needs to go, but it's tough for any coach with Fleury because he's such a headcase. He probably needs a psychiatrist more than a goalie coach. Same could probably be said for Staal. Both those guys get too high with the highs and too low with the lows. It's why they can look like the best players on the ice for a few games and then look like the worst players on the ice when a few things start going bad for them.
MAF has played very well the last two regular seasons... He shutdown Det when it mattered most... Played huge agt Philly and the Caps that season as well.

He just had another one of his mental breakdowns agt the Flyers. He has unreal talent and that isn't the issue... The issue is he is a flake capable of epic meltdowns.

What did Larry Robinson once say? The game of hockey is 85% mental and the rest is in your head.

Sounds like he was talking directly to MAF.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Flat Stanley

Tangradi's doing well in the playoffs, I know it's the AHL, but with the way he's playing, any chance you give him a chance in the top 6?

Tangradi-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Old
05-06-2012, 10:01 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Tangradi's doing well in the playoffs, I know it's the AHL, but with the way he's playing, any chance you give him a chance in the top 6?

Tangradi-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Not as long as there's some over the hill veteran available for under 2M in free agency . . .

Old
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Tangradi-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
I want him at least in the top 9 for a solid month or 3. It's the only way to know if he can succeed in the NHL. But those lines are a pretty swift kick in the nuts to Sid. I'd prefer something like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal.

More balanced imo.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
I want him at least in the top 9 for a solid month or 3. It's the only way to know if he can succeed in the NHL. But those lines are a pretty swift kick in the nuts to Sid. I'd prefer something like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal.

More balanced imo.
Tangradi playing with Malkin and Neal makes far too much sense for Bylsma to try it.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Gudbranson would be a huge get, but i agree it's not likely. But for the sake of argument, let's say that move happens. What would your next step be as GM? Obviously now we're missing a big piece of our offense and PK and the element that makes the third line truly dangerous, but we've now got quite the configuration of defensive talent on the NHL blueline, as well as some currently in the A pushing for a regular role. What other trades do you think would be realistic moving forward from that point to balance out the rest of the roster?

Trading Staal before July 1st allows the Pens to go all in for Parise. Go long-term at 6years-$6M. And I would imagine most wouldn't be disappointed if the Pens traded Staal for Parise.

Getting Gudbranson does make the D much better. He is the physical and skilled anchor of the defense that the Pens need. He has the makings of a Shea Weber. Plays a different style than Letang and is much more composed.

Staal, Martin and Strait for Gudbranson, Trocheck and Grimaldi

Trocheck gives the Pens a decent center prospect and Grimaldi becomes the wild-card winger.

I think Orpik has to go. He is the old guy in the group and it seems he doesn't fit with the core anymore. He has been better at calling out the team than playing this year. But he does have value.

Orpik and TK for Stewart, Cole and Rattie

Stewart has a chance to be Neal 2.0, and can you imagine the space Crosby and Parise would make for him. Cole brings more of the physical defensive play that the Pens need. Rattie helps to give the Pens some prospect depth at forward.

I think you can either trade Michalek for a 3C or deal him at the deadline when Despres is ready to play full-time. Then Morrow may be ready to be the 7th D-man. If Michalek goes:

Michalek and Jeffrey for Lander and 2012 2nd

you have...

Parise (6) - Crosby (8.7) - Stewart (3.25)
Kunitz (3.75) - Malkin (8.7) - Neal (5)
Cooke (1.8) - Lander (.9) - Dupuis (1.5)
Tangradi (.85) - Vitale (.55) - Adams (.675)
Park (.55)

Letang (3.5) - Despres (.840)
Gudbranson (3.2) - Niskanen (1.8)
Cole (1.3) - Engelland (.567)
Bortuzzo (.6)

Fluery (5)
Thiessen (.6)

With this the Pens could go with 7 D often. The scoring is there. The D hasn't always. Also, I say go with the young defensemen. Let them grow in the NHL.

There would be room there to go after Suter, but Gudbranson will fit just as well. And Gudbranson is way more physical. But either way, this gives the Pens flexibility to sign Allen for a couple of years to ease the transition to the young core.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:05 AM
JTG

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis/Tangradi
Staal-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Stoll-Tangradi/Dupuis
Free agent/Jeffrey-Vitale-Kennedy

is a forward corps I'd like to see. I think Stoll gives us a guy who has some flexibility. Can play 3rd line center or a top 6 winger.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Hell Yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Not as long as there's some over the hill veteran available for under 2M in free agency . . .

Old
05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Bishop7979

Was joking with a buddy of mine about the most outlandish roster turnover possible while staying under the cap, we came up with the following

CURRENT ROSTER: $541,250 AVAILABLE

Forwards (13)

Dupuis, Pascal (1.5mil) Crosby, Sidney ($8.7 mil) Rick Nash (7.8 mil)
Kunitz, Chris (3.725) Malkin, Evgeni ($8.7 mi)l Neal, James (5mil)
Cooke, Matt (1.8 mil) Gagner, Sam (2.275) Raymond, Mason (2.550 mil)
Tangradi, Eric (.850 mil) Vitale, Joe (.675) "Adams, Crag" like player (.675)
"Asham, Arron" like player (.775)

Defensemen (7)
Michalek, Zbynek $4,000,000
Letang, Kris $3,500,000
Tyutin, Fedor $2,843,750
Smid, Ladislav $2,250,000
Niskanen, Matt $1,500,000
Despres, Simon $840,000
Engelland, Deryk $566,667

Goaltenders (2)
Fleury, Marc-Andre $5,000,000
Backup $525,000

Cap Space: $541,250 Payroll: $66,510,000 Bonuses: $0 Roster Size: 22

Trades:
Staal/Martin/TK for Nash and Tyutin
Jeffery/Orpik+ for Gagner and Smid
Pick for Raymond, i believe vancover will not resign him, trade for his rights and see if he could be signed for less than what he made this year, could replace TK.

Adding Gagner/Raymond adds needed speed to the team, and I would hope that Shero would replace Adams/Asham with comparable guys who are quicker than what we already had in Adams and Asham

Tyutin and Smid are both defenders with decent size who can play a physical game. Both have ate big minutes on bad teams over the last couple years, they could come in and replace Martin and Orpik right away.

Sid wants a winger, Nash is that winger.

Just effin with you....
best we can hope for is that Martin gets traded for a pick and we are able to resign Staal. Shero's going to ride the "core" for as long as he can.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Well yeah, that's the obvious choice.

I'm in favor of bringing back Steve Sullivan to play with Sidney Crosby. Then give Tangradi a definite roster spot on the 4th line with Vitale and Adams, give Tangradi a 2 or 3 year deal, let him play with Vitale and give him shifts with Crosby and Malkin and when Sullivan leaves/retires, we have Tangradi ready to take his spot in the top 6.

Old
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
gordie

Quote:
Tangradi playing with Malkin and Neal makes far too much sense for Bylsma to try it.
Tangradi needs to play another 2 or 3 years in the minors then maybe "Disco Dan" will take notice of him.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Quote:
Hey worked for me in a beagm in NHL 12

Closed Thread